• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
But you can explain that to people without banning or censoring them.
They had their opportunity to click the article in the OP and read the multiple explanations about how it is not a tremendous affront to WW2 or games about WW2 to be more inclusive at every level.
Instead they chose to clamp their eyes and ears shut and begin hammering their chests with common bigoted, misogynist talking points and it's nobody's job to spoon feed them information that was freely available from the first post in the thread. The idea here is to promote informed discussion, but if you fail the 'informed' part of it I feel no sympathy.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No, dude. Regardless of your stance on this game or historical fiction in general, Kids need to learn their history from books, not goddamn FPS video games.

Kids these days don't read books about ww2. They play games. And this game is showing history not accuretly. Specially since it's taking places in real life and not just some fantasy.

Kids will think this is how it went down back then when it wasn't based on their video game experience .

This game is misleading. Yes women helped. All respect to them and they are not less importance in their role more than a man. But they didnt help like how they were showing it.

And when a stupid company that want my money to try and tell me we will make it our way or the high way. Then lol fuck off it's the high way. You are the one with less 60$ in your pocket you freak.

Next time let them hire someone with a silver tongue . Now someone who try and piss people off.what a god damn moron .

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The moderation here is already well down the slippery slope back to how it was in the old place. Really sad and completely unnecessary. We're big boys and girls, we should be able to handle people with different views to us.

This makes two incorrect assumptions, the first that all opinions have some worth and the second that engaging people on their regressive opinions will change them.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
There have been so many threads about this and people still willing to fall on that "it's actually about ethics in customization options" sword. It's about 3 years too late for anyone to fall for that nonsense anymore.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The important thing that's getting ignored is that there was no collective attack on things like Dunkirk and COD:WW2 for taking male focused points of view of the war. Sure some people were upset but there was no campaign or agenda agaisnt them and their attempt at a more accurate rendition (their innacuracies obviously aside)

This isn't so much an attempt by Dice to rewrite history as a game simply doing its own thing in the first place. So there's no problem with the women aspect of the game as a whole.

Ciaran

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
They had their opportunity to click the article in the OP and read the multiple explanations about how it is not a tremendous affront to WW2 or games about WW2 to be more inclusive at every level.
Instead they chose to clamp their eyes and ears shut and begin hammering their chests with common bigoted, misogynist talking points and it's nobody's job to spoon feed them information that was freely available from the first post in the thread. The idea here is to promote informed discussion, but if you fail the 'informed' part of it I feel no sympathy.

Clearly they want to believe that they are right on this issue because it's part of their world view. Like most people they are approaching this issue with a prejudicial bias.

But having a "you must think a certain way immediately or you will be removed from this community" policy is the greatest gift to the far right you could ever give, it will do absolutely nothing to change the views of that person and will probably just make their views even more extreme. You might not care about that and have no sympathy etc but if you're genuinely concerned with tackling this problem then you need to realise this approach is simply a strategic failure for "our side".

Informing and discussing how that information should be interpreted is the absolute foundation of progressivism.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
This reminds me when people were saying RE5 was racist because you were killing primarily dark skinned people in central Africa. If I remember correctly, they added a whole bunch of very light skinned people to the zombie list. (sorry if I remembered this incorrectly)
RE5 is racist as fuck especially near middle where all the enemies become tribes people.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
No, dude. Kids need to learn their history from books, not goddamn FPS video games.

It's one of the saddest arguments I've seen on any subject. No video game can ever be "historically accurate" to any war, because the horrors of war are not in any way shape or form entertaining. Are we to include concentration camps, the mass rapes of German women and children at the hands of the advancing Russian army, the bombing of German civilian towns with zero strategic military purpose by the U.S. Airforce? What about how soldiers used to see how many rifle butts it would take to cave in a human head? That's the kinda accuracy we need in our outrageously fun online shooter.

I don't usually get "triggered" by much of anything, but for some reason, this stance against women and POC really gets to me. Maybe it's because they're thinly hiding it behind "accuracy" and "they owe it to children to learn history".

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely happy to see there was no 'both sides make good points' softening of the message here, just accept it or don't buy. Good.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly they want to believe that they are right on this issue because it's part of their world view. Like most people they are approaching this issue with a prejudicial bias.

But having a "you must think a certain way immediately or you will be removed from this community" policy is the greatest gift to the far right you could ever give, it will do absolutely nothing to change the views of that person and will probably just make their views even more extreme.

Informing and discussing how that information should be interpreted is the absolute foundation of progressivism.
Thinking that EA are shoving inclusion down people's throats is pretty, pretty telling. Meeting in the middle is not going to change their minds here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And if you're not down with that, he's got two words for ya.

giphy.webp

(At least, that should have been the response. I like that reponse)

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Speaking purely from a strategic point of view, if you want to challenge beliefs you feel are wrong then moralising and censorsing is absolutely guaranteed to fail and only strengthen those beliefs and encourage further division in society.

Historical accuracy regarding WWII is extremely important, but FPS video games undermine just about everything about war so including additional women is a drop in an inaccurate ocean. The entire concept of respawning is pretty much an insult to everyone who ever lost their life in war. Also the Norway story involving female characters looks like the most historically accurate part of the game so far.

But you can explain that to people without banning or censoring them, that is completely counterproductive and in fact exactly the kind of thing that traditionalist right wingers do. It's an abject betrayal of progressivism and will only increase the number of people attracted to those views.

The moderation here is already well down the slippery slope back to how it was in the old place. Really sad and completely unnecessary. We're big boys and girls, we should be able to handle people with different views to us.

It's been proven time and time again that sitting down and attempting to talk rationality to people with absolutely twisted ideologies is also not a sound way to stop radicalisation. When threatened, people will revert to whatever supports their narrative, logical or no. So if you wanna sit here and talk tactic of effective means to stopping radicalised hurtful beliefs, talking honkey-doo about offering an olive branch to bigots has proven in practice to being about as effective as leaving them be or 'censoring' them. I don't have the universal answer to how to stop the further radicalisation of bigots, sadly no one does, but I do fucking know criticising it when I see it isn't doing any harm, and no way in hell is it my responsibility to re-educate people of such beliefs.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Speaking purely from a strategic point of view, if you want to challenge beliefs you feel are wrong then moralising and censorsing is absolutely guaranteed to fail and only strengthen those beliefs and encourage further division in society.

Historical accuracy regarding WWII is extremely important, but FPS video games undermine just about everything about war so including additional women is a drop in an inaccurate ocean. The entire concept of respawning is pretty much an insult to everyone who ever lost their life in war. Also the Norway story involving female characters looks like the most historically accurate part of the game so far.

But you can explain that to people without banning or censoring them, that is completely counterproductive and in fact exactly the kind of thing that traditionalist right wingers do. It's an abject betrayal of progressivism and will only increase the number of people attracted to those views.

Fuck this kids glove bullshit. This industry has enough problems with harassment and marginalization of women, of poc, and those with queer identity that this "Well if you just calmly explain to them they're being sexist, they will appreciate and come to understand..." shit is real tired.

Nah. Nah, they really fucking don't. I've lent enough patience to shitheels in my life. I'm sure many others here have endured far worse. Motherfuckers have made up their mind.

The people trying to die on this shitty hill don't deserve to have their views validated. Excise that shit and move on. They want to be included and respected? They can grow the fuck up. God knows they've had enough chances to do so.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kids these days don't read books about ww2. They play games. And this game is showing history not accuretly. Specially since it's taking places in real life and not just some fantasy.

Kids will think this is how it went down back then when it wasn't based on their video game experience .

Jesus

This wins the award for dumbest post I've read on an online forum.

Praying this is just a troll

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
I think you could make a real argument that heavily gamified versions of real life, modern conflicts in which millions of people were killed are inappropriate.
The fact that nobody cared until it meant having a female protagonist in a AAA videogame demonstrates pretty conclusively that these complaints are all in extremely bad faith.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

But having a "you must think a certain way immediately or you will be removed from this community" policy is the greatest gift to the far right you could ever give, it will do absolutely nothing to change the views of that person and will probably just make their views even more extreme. You might not care about that and have no sympathy etc but if you're genuinely concerned with tackling this problem then you need to realise this approach is simply a strategic failure for "our side".

Again, the OP of this thread was that attempt to inform them and they ignored it. The temporary removal of folks who don't read OPs isn't as nefarious as you describe it.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still don't like Electronic "Studio Killers" Arts, but I do like this response.

Nice to see them call out these uneducated, ignorant fucks. Glad for no sugar-coating either.

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA

Kids will think this is how it went down back then when it wasn't based on their video game experience.

yeah, remember when we all thought that hitler actually went down gun's a blazing in his giant machine gunning mecha, i can't believe—

...wait.

Ciaran

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Thinking that EA are shoving inclusion down people's throats is pretty, pretty telling. Meeting in the middle is not going to change their minds here.

Their feeling that inclusiveness is being shoved down their throat is bigger than this single issue, that speaks to the major divisions we have opening up in society now. Dangerous divisions that may have extremely negative consequences for society.

Like I said, hard banning people for not already having an approved view point is absolutely guaranteed not to change their view, to strengthen it, and on a wider scale this approach is only accelerating the divide in society.

Again, you might reply to me now that you don't care, that it's their fault, that they should know better etc. that's fine but if you genuinely do want that divide in society to be repaired then the only way to do it is through outreach, debate, understanding etc. As much as I disagree with them I don't believe their are genetic subhumans that are literally incapable of changing their world view so I have no choice but to engage with them on whatever level actually works.

Here's an example, I'm a doctor and you might often have a patient that has some unorthodox views on science/health care, and they might have a serious diagnosis that requires prompt treatment but because of those unorthodox views they may be resisting them, instead opting for some kind of herbal remedy first. I know that if they don't change their view then the consequences will be dire.

Do I tell them they are a delusional moron with outdated views and remove them from my office? Or do I try to understand where they are coming from, where the roots of their attraction to these unorthodox views come from, and then use that understanding to find a way to gradually convince them over to my point of view?

Obviously the latter, the former would cost me my license. We need to approach these issues with the same seriousness if we want to succeed.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The right take, tbh. Fuck these people.

Yeah, that's right, I'm talking to you!

(ha ha no I'm not pls don't ban)

But seriously tho, there's no point in talking to or reasoning with these people. Kick them out in the cold and try to foster a good community with the not-shitty people.

Oct 26, 2017
I think you could make a real argument that heavily gamified versions of real life, modern conflicts in which millions of people were killed are inappropriate.
The fact that nobody cared until it meant having a female protagonist in a AAA videogame demonstrates pretty conclusively that these complaints are all in extremely bad faith.
It was exactly the same with Gamergate. Of all the questionable things that have happened in the industry over the years the merest sniff of a suggestion that a woman in the industry did something unethical no matter how unsubstantiated is what set them of on a crusade in the name of "ethics in game journalism"
It's just sheer misogyny.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Wow, big kudos to Söderlund for being unwavering. It really is such an embarrassment for the medium as a whole that we have to put up with the uneducated and intolerance.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Their feeling that inclusiveness is being shoved down their throat is bigger than this single issue, that speaks to the major divisions we have opening up in society now. Dangerous divisions that may have extremely negative consequences for society.

Like I said, hard banning people for not already having an approved view point is absolutely guaranteed not to change their view, to strengthen it, and on a wider scale this approach is only accelerating the divide in society.

Again, you might reply to me now that you don't care, that it's their fault, that they should know better etc. that's fine but if you genuinely do want that divide in society to be repaired then the only way to do it is through outreach, debate, understanding etc. As much as I disagree with them I don't believe their are genetic subhumans that are literally incapable of changing their world view so I have no choice but to engage with them on whatever level actually works.

Here's an example, I'm a doctor and you might often have a patient that has some unorthodox views on science/health care, and they might have a serious diagnosis that requires prompt treatment but because of those unorthodox views they may be resisting them, instead opting for some kind of herbal remedy first. I know that if they don't change their view then the consequences will be dire.

Do I tell them they are a delusional moron with outdated views and remove them from my office? Or do I try to understand where they are coming from, where the roots of their attraction to these unorthodox views come from, and then use that understanding to find a way to gradually convince them over to my point of view?

Obviously the latter, the former would cost me my license. We need to approach these issues with the same seriousness if we want to succeed.

You are playing right into their game and getting a ton of side-eye from me right now. There's no discussion to be had. They have no interest in having good faith discussions.

valdimar

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so glad the dev team is allowed to have this stance against the online bullies. It takes guts for a big publisher to endorse a divisive response and I applaud EA for it.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Man I don't care about historical accuracy at all. I just don't want to shoot women
Good on you if you can tell whether that obscure shadow crouched over the ridgeline is a male or female obscure shadow before you kill it.

Reddit notwithstanding, I doubt that this controversy will have a serious impact on sales if only because Battlefield influencers have been overwhelmingly positive about the gameplay so far.

Ciaran

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern trolling throughout the thread, history of attempting to redirect discussions of representation issues towards other subjects.
It's been proven time and time again that sitting down and attempting to talk rationality to people with absolutely twisted ideologies is also not a sound way to stop radicalisation. When threatened, people will revert to whatever supports their narrative, logical or no. So if you wanna sit here and talk tactic of effective means to stopping radicalised hurtful beliefs, talking honkey-doo about offering an olive branch to bigots has proven in practice to being about as effective as leaving them be or 'censoring' them. I don't have the universal answer to how to stop the further radicalisation of bigots, sadly no one does, but I do fucking know criticising it when I see it isn't doing any harm, and no way in hell is it my responsibility to re-educate people of such beliefs.

Just to be clear, what you're saying is that there is no value in rational debate, that you don't know how to change the views of people with beliefs for find abhorrent but that's fine because it's not your job anyway?

I mean... ok but I really don't know what on earth that attitude is going to achieve for you.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Care to explain what's being censored? Their shitty takes are there for everyone to see.

Also, your posts suck and reek of "I just want to talk about games, man"

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Battlefield subreddit is amusing to say the least

Why do they have such an unwavering need for TOTAL HISTORICAL ACCURACY like it's the only thing that matters in a multiplayer shooting game

Literally who cares if a model is female or male, does it matter in any way towards the goal or outcome or your enjoyment of the game

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN

The notion that you'd succeed even in your ridiculous hypothetical is naive. People that have lived and breathed far into adulthood thinking a certain way don't just change their beliefs, even when confronted with logic upon logic at long durations. At large people just don't change all that often. Really, if you're being serious, then what you're gonna wanna do is limit the outreach of these people with regressive ideals, don't provide them a fucking platform, and start working on our children, the future generation. Education at a young age is incredibly important, and specifically education that targets how to not fall into the trappings of bigoted beliefs will be fundamental in paving a better more inclusive future. Attempting to re-educate every regressive belief en masse is a fool's errand and absolutely not realistic in our current times.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear, what you're saying is that there is no value in rational debate, that you don't know how to change the views of people with beliefs for find abhorrent but that's fine because it's not your job anyway?

I mean... ok but I really don't know what on earth that attitude is going to achieve for you.
If you think the posts about 'forced diversity' were an attempt at rational debate you have a poorly calibrated gauge for it.

Ciaran

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
You are playing right into their game and getting a ton of side-eye from me right now. There's no discussion to be had. They have no interest in having good faith discussions.

Just because I'm not flatly calling for people of opposing views to be banned does not mean I am "on their side", it's precisely because I want those people to actually change their beliefs that I want them to remain in the discussion. Banning them outright is playing right into their game, but I'll spare you the side eye, I don't need to side eye anyone, side eye has no place in progressive debate, I am quite happy to discuss my views plainly. Leave side eye to the alt right, that's pretty much how they ensure their community purges internal dissent, it shouldn't be how we conduct ourselves.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This forum is not a 1 on 1 with people who hold these views plus those that wish to educate them. They are free to pop into any thread, post some truly hateful or ignorant shit and bail out. Thinking that we can change their mind by keeping them around is silly.

And hell, the bans are mostly temporary and serve as a slight education (what you just said is not permitted, take some time and think about it).

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because I'm not flatly calling for people of opposing views to be banned does not mean I am "on their side", it's precisely because I want those people to actually change their beliefs that I want them to remain in the discussion. Banning them outright is playing right into their game, but I'll spare you the side eye, I don't need to side eye anyone, side eye has no place in progressive debate, I am quite happy to discuss my views plainly. Leave side eye to the alt right, that's pretty much how they ensure their community purges internal dissent, it shouldn't be how we conduct ourselves.
ResetEra is not a rehab center for bigotry and nor should it be.

Oct 28, 2017

As a minority, no, just no.