• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Then read harder, double hook proesthetics, introduced over a decade before the start of WW 2 offered enough manual dexterity for wearers to hand roll cigarettes. They are certainly more than sufficient to act as a brace for the barrel of a gun. And those two sentences are two sentences more than any "but mah historical accuracy" arguement deserves.

You could always source me, friend. It's not like I'm not going to read what you post. As it stands I can't find anything about what you're speaking of.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I can't help but feel if we went modern, the issue wouldn't be there to this degree. Sure, you'd still have the trolls who write some obscene, gross comments on YouTube- but at the same time it wouldn't be as bad as it is now. The faux outrage for the Harlem Hellfighters wasn't near as bad as this, and when female units were added with accuracy to BF1 (Russian Scout), I don't recall any outrage. Some people just want their setting to retain accuracy to the actual events- and I can see WWII being one that is important to adhere to for people. A modern setting wouldn't bring the same issues, and blatantly dismissing everyone's concerns as "haters" is being totally dismissive of the issue. I will admit, seeing People of Color Nazis on the field is gonna be a little jarring, but I can look past it for gameplay.

But at the same time, I will gladly sacrifice the historical accurate crowd to say fuck you to the women hating crowd, and I'll be playing a chick anyway lol.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The backlash to Battlefield V is fucking embarrassing, all the arguments against a damn woman all disguised by 'historical accuracy'. You're rewriting history, how dare you Dice/EA, you can't rewrite history!!! I guess we're super fucked now that historians use film and videogames as reference, god damn Inglorious Bastards is one of the most disgusting travesties I've ever laid my eyes upon. We can't rewrite history like that Quentin Tarantino, you're a monster Quentin Tarantino!!!

Battlefield V is a Battlefield game, an arcade-y, fun, bombastic large scale multiplayer shooter. Battlefield V is specifically using WW2 as a setting to build its world upon, an arcade-y, fun, bombastic large multiplayer shooter world. It will have historically inaccurate environments, vehicles, weapons, and characters. It will also omit the swastika as to not run into the moral conundrum of having players fight for such a horrid symbol. It will also feature intensive customisation options as to allow players to express themselves into this fantasy depiction of WW2. If you want historical accuracy, you will not, nor will you ever, get it from a fucking Battlefield game. If you want realism, you will not, nor have you ever, got it from a fucking Battlefield game.

Stop using this historical accuracy bullshit argument to justify your pathetic outrage over a Battlefield game allowing you to play as a female. This is not rewriting history, this is not historically accurate, this is not a documentary of WW2. This is entertainment that everyone should be able to enjoy, men and women both having a representation in-game. If you have a problem with that, then you gotta do some serious self-inspection buddy, and figure out what you're really upset about.

I would love to take your post to /battlefield and maybe open some eyes.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not buying this on principle and before some clown attempts to "call me out on my bigotry" I already have tomb raider, RE2 and last of us 2 preordered and applaud MS for ditching the guy for the new girl character as the main protagonist in gears 5 (which I will more than likely purchase as well).

I'm extremely against corporate mandated inclusiveness and rewriting history to appease a small vocal minority (that doesn't even have much ground to stand on quite frankly).

I wonder which vocal minority you really want to see 'pleased' here.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not buying this on principle and before some clown attempts to "call me out on my bigotry" I already have tomb raider, RE2 and last of us 2 preordered and applaud MS for ditching the guy for the new girl character as the main protagonist in gears 5 (which I will more than likely purchase as well).

I'm extremely against corporate mandated inclusiveness and rewriting history to appease a small vocal minority (that doesn't even have much ground to stand on quite frankly).

They are making a video game, not rewriting history. They are not trying to appease anyone. They want women to feel included and more welcomed.

History will not be rewritten, just pick up a history book after BF V is released, I promise it will say the same thing.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I like my ww2 games to be historically consistent for immersion purposes. With that said, Battlefield is on the bottom of the list of games that I care about when it comes to historical immersion. Small thing I didn't like is the female protagonist being British instead of Soviet or French, sides which had significant amounts of women in combat roles.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I have nothing against women in games, but it's Battlefield based on WW2. During the gameplay footage I heard more women than man screaming during combat. It just feels a bit out of place.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Yeah, I thought that was her, the voice actor is British but she's playing a character from Norway or am I confused?
Think you're confused. That's a separate character in the single player missions who speaks Norwegian. This is the character people were talking about:
Screen_Shot_2018_05_25_at_2.38.42_PM.0.png

Cause of the arm. And that she's a woman in the British army.

As a old Battlefield veteran who's been with the series since day -10 (I played the BF1942 demo on the very day it got out), I didn't bat an eye to this. Couldn't give a less shit about "accuracy" in my Battlefield games, as long as they are fun then I am good.

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

This should be said for just about every game, to be honest. Developers have the freedom to create what they want, and you have the freedom to not buy it for whatever reason you see fit.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me when people were saying RE5 was racist because you were killing primarily dark skinned people in central Africa. If I remember correctly, they added a whole bunch of very light skinned people to the zombie list. (sorry if I remembered this incorrectly)

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Think you're confused. That's a separate character in the single player missions who speaks Norwegian. This is the character people were talking about:
Screen_Shot_2018_05_25_at_2.38.42_PM.0.png

Cause of the arm. And that she's a woman in the British army.

As a old Battlefield veteran who's been with the series since day -10 (I played the BF1942 demo on the very day it got out), I didn't bat an eye to this. Couldn't give a less shit about "accuracy" in my Battlefield games, as long as they are fun then I am good.
Well, that clears that up.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This reminds me when people were saying RE5 was racist because you were killing primarily dark skinned people in central Africa. If I remember correctly, they added a whole bunch of very light skinned people to the zombie list. (sorry if I remembered this incorrectly)
I don't think the two situations are at all similar. There's a lot of tone deaf shit (to be kind) in RE5. I can't judge intent, but there was a lot to take issue with there.

BFV's controversy stems around the simple inclusion of women and minorities in a historical war setting and some outspoken groups of gaming trying to make that controversial or bad. DICE rightfully is standing up to them.

Nov 3, 2017
I like what EA and Dice are saying here, but the true test will be Battlefieled VI. Will that game make the same efforts to be inclusive? Will that game put marginalised people at the center?

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I would love to take your post to /battlefield and maybe open some eyes.
I mean if you really want you can just copy and paste, or paraphrase, or whatever. I imagine they'd just disregard it as nonsensical ravings of an SJW from that SJW forum though if they knew the origins.

I myself haven't mustered up the courage to go have a look at the Battlefield subreddit. I tend to avoid gaming subreddits and forums (gameFAQs) in general because it gets tiring. I tend to stick to resetera and a few other select sites in an attempt to retain my sanity, but alas, I'm still exposed to the toxic shit that permeates throughout the videogamer populace.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Right move. Who really would complain about this?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Isn't the female character in the Norway resistance which did have women? It's historically accurate.

The campaign stories will most likely strive to be historicaly accurate-ish.

The Multiplayer is just pure nonsense though. It's a non-existant battle with a british faction using weapons and tanks not even invented then, with british paratroopers fighting furing the Phoney war. The women are really at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to them breaking accuracy.

It's not worth getting upset over even if you do care about accuracy, they're clearly not even trying to go for it in any way other than the general aesthetic.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Dont really care if they are male of female in the game..........you want realism go play arma

in saying that i dont really agree with people sprinkling the hate on someone because they have a different opinion which goes against the social norm..............some people you will never change so you are better off just ignoring and leaving them to their own devices
the world would get on much better if people were a little more carefree

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could always source me, friend. It's not like I'm not going to read what you post. As it stands I can't find anything about what you're speaking of.

I'm not google. If you can't be arsed, or can't manage, to do basic research it's not my job to make up for your failings. All of which is predicated upon the idea that historical accuracy is of meaningful value in a game which clearly doesnt care about it.

You know what, fuck it, here you go.
oNoHEqv.jpg

That's a photo of a man preparing a cigarette using Dorrance style split hook prosthetics. Developed in 1912 by DW Dorrance.

HTXVZ9J.jpg

Here's an image from 1919 of an American veteran using a prosthetic to help him weld.

The idea that by 194X prosthetic technology wasnt advanced enough so that it could act as the brace for a guns barrel is literally laughable. Dorrance style split hooks can exert up to ~140N in a Pinch Grip, more realistically from 45-70N for larger obects, the average pinch grip for a man is ~87N, for women its ~58N. If you can roll a fag, hold an umbrella and weld with one then you can certainly use it as a barrel rest.

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
Dont really care if they are male of female in the game..........you want realism go play arma

in saying that i dont really agree with people sprinkling the hate on someone because they have a different opinion which goes against the social norm..............some people you will never change so you are better off just ignoring and leaving them to their own devices
Medical professionals recommend not ignoring cancer, but excising it instead if possible

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
I'm glad to see a corporation as big as EA doing this, it means that they looked at the bottom line and realized that these misogynist dumbasses are an extremely vocal minority who don't affect sales.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm extremely against corporate mandated inclusiveness
When you get back in a week you should know that this wasn't corporate mandated, it's something the devs wanted to do.

Women in a WW2 game are just out of place. BF was a semi accurate game series before BF1.
Battlefield 1942 was literally called a "comic book version of WW2" and had a ton of innaccuacies from factions using the wrong weapons to the majority of vehicles being prototypes that never worked or saw action during WW2.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am getting so fed up with people who demand that games validate their opinions or nurture some political agenda of sorts. This goes both way. The very notion that the game industry is suppose to bear any responsibility in the cultivation of good morale must be the biggest fucking paradox considering lootboxes and all this other bs they pump out too.

When all of that is said and done, some games just want to be more inclusive (even if it's due to the simple and cynical notion that it attracts more/new customers). That's fine!

I cannot believe what the world has come to, when some people seriously feel let down by the fact that they can CHOOSE a women.

It's not even obligatory...

This is just about inclusion, and it isn't at the cost of any men.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Do you really think games like Battlefield or Call of Duty have anything to do with real history? Or that a shooter game could "rewrite' history?

The overall premise of turning a real war into a dumb shooter game could be seen as inappropriate, but include women in a video game is nothing that should upset people.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually hope that they sell the option to "filter out cosmetics" for something like $30, only for idiots to buy it in mass numbers just to find out that it doesn't turn everyone into a white soldier, might as well fund the development of the free DLCs.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me it looks like EA dosnt understand their fanbase because the backlash is huge. I mentioned it before but in Overwatch nobody blinks an eye to the women characters. Women in a WW2 game are just out of place. BF was a semi accurate game series before BF1. If they had choosen a modern setting and not a historical setting of a real war. Women characters would be ok. Where millions died. Where members of our families died. You should stay respectfull to what actually happened. How about you look at WW2 pictures and point out the women in combat? I bet you cant find any if you dont search directly for it. Also the customization thing is totaly wrong in a historical setting.

so accurate

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN

Opinions that go against the social norm? Like what, misogyny and bigotry? Just leave them be? Fuck no. Those beliefs actively hurt people, and in fact could be argued to be the fucking social norm for far too long. People that believe these things absolutely need to be criticised, disempowered, and whatever necessary so as to not allow these twisted ideologies to spread.

Now you might be saying nah man, you're overreacting a bit, the people criticising Battlefield V for not being historically accurate aren't misogynists or anything, they really do care about historical accuracy ethics and stuff!!! Bullshit. These little videogame spats are a perfect microcosmic look at the much larger fucking problem. A system of fucked up beliefs that are so damn ingrained that anything rivalling the norm will be looked at as a threat. This isn't about historical accuracy, this be about women in videogames, a male dominant medium.

Laconik

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bought two copies last time, one for each console and I'll do it again

With the power of PC's, make your own damn super realistic, non fun game.

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Sexism, concern trolling.
Kids these days don't read books about ww2. They play games. And this game is showing history not accuretly. Specially since it's taking places in real life and not just some fantasy.

Kids will think this is how it went down back then when it wasn't based on their video game experience .

This game is misleading. Yes women helped. All respect to them and they are not less importance in their role more than a man. But they didnt help like how they were showing it.

And when a stupid company that want my money to try and tell me we will make it our way or the high way. Then lol fuck off it's the high way. You are the one with less 60$ in your pocket you freak.

Next time let them hire someone with a silver tongue . Now someone who try and piss people off.what a god damn moron .

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I still don't understand why they can't make your soldier choices faction specific. It's going to be weird seeing female British paratroopers, Indians driving Tigers, red headed Caucasians fighting in the Imperial Japanese Army (eventually, when we get a Japanese faction). You can have all of those soldiers in the game while still having a basic level of authenticity if you just assign them to the appropriate factions based on history, and I don't see what's lost that way. I don't mind being female when playing the Russian Scout class, or Japanese when playing the Japanese Assault class, etc., those things all make sense historically. BF1 already takes that approach with the female Russian Scout class, Indian British Medic, etc., and IMHO it works well and there have been no complaints.

I'm reminded of the backlash against being forced to play an African-American character in GTA San Andreas. It was always the correct call for the character in the setting, a no-brainer. People still complained that they couldn't empathise with the character because he was unlike them. Why? Your in-game character shouldn't always have to be you if you have a basic level of empathy.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids these days don't read books about ww2. They play games. And this game is showing history not accuretnly. Specially since it's taking places in real life and not just some fantasy.

This game is misleading. Yes women helped. But not like how they were showing it.

And when a stupid company that want my money to try and tell me we will make it our way or the high way. Then lol fuck off it's the high way. You are the one with less 60$ in your pocket you freak.

Next time let them hire someone with a silver tongue . Now someone who try and piss people off.what a god damn moron .

This is so sublimely stupid that I wish it were a joke so it would be funny in a non-sad way. Well I suppose kudos for the sadly original "Stupid people learn history from video games" angle. It does strike me as a little odd that you dont give a shit that the battles portrayed didnt happen, that the weapons and vehicles are anachronistic, that people COME BACK FROM THE FUCKING DEAD, and so on. You're fine with the poor dumb kids learning those parts of history wrong. But a woman in combat thats where you draw the line? Oh and pro-tip its a fucking game, which means it absolutely isnt taking place in real life. I suppose it was generous of you to say that you would be happier to have your money tricked out of you than be told the truth, I mean a weird form of generous, a tenuous generous if you will, but something lone the less.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Kids these days don't read books about ww2. They play games. And this game is showing history not accuretly. Specially since it's taking places in real life and not just some fantasy.

Kids will think this is how it went down back then when it wasn't based on their video game experience .

This game is misleading. Yes women helped. All respect to them and they are not less importance in their role more than a man. But they didnt help like how they were showing it.

Sounds like kids should read about WW2 then

Why is your answer to make video games into history lessons instead?

I guess you also hate the battle royale mode being in the game since there were no battle royale skirmishes in WW2?

Or are you happy with that mode being included?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a *heck* of a lot to dislike EA as a company for which I am most certainly in agreement for a good amount of but their efforts for diversity and representation are noting short of outstanding as far as I'm concerned and I really am chuffed to hear this from them- it's the absolute right response to the absolutely right move in the first place,

But yeah from Mass Effect to Battlefield to FIFA they really have been making great strides for a while now and they deserve a lot of support for this reason.

Again great to hear.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for them. People saying this isn't historically accurate are just a bunch of assholes. This is a video game. Respawning isn't accurate, quick scoping isn't realistic, half the things you can do in the game are not realistic. Playing as a women doesn't nothing to break the feeling I'm in a video game and for the record in any game where I can play a female I usually do simply because if I'm staring at a tv screen and seeing my characters ass 24/7 it's going to be a females. Sorry blame evolution I'm a man.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
If these people want realism go and join your nation's armed forces. This is a video game, first and foremost. These people have been attempting to rewrite Battlefield's history since the first trailer for this premiered. They claimed Battlefield always cared about accuracy and immersion, which if you knew anything about the history of WW2 you would know that's a bunch of nonsense. Where was the outrage for all the other inaccuracies in this series? Were these people pissed that Spielberg invented a fake battle, in a fake town for the end of Saving Private Ryan to cap the movie off with dramatic effect?

I applaud DICE and EA on their stance. Even if they included women and POC to sell more cosmetics, who cares, it's a video game for heaven's sake. We should never expect any sort of entertainment media like this to teach us about something as profoundly horrific as WW2, at least, not when the sole purpose of the series is COMIC BOOK CARTOON FUN.

These people complaining need to pick up a book, take a course on the subject or maybe sit this game out, because unfortunately for them, video games will never go back to "white male safe spaces". It's time we tell other stories and include others in our multiplayer mayhem. And no, that doesn't mean they're rewriting history, because Battlefield was never about that, it was a fun multiplayer shooter at its heart that used WW2 as a backdrop for its mayhem.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN

So I guess it's okay to be historically inaccurate about the locations, vehicles, weapons, and a vast number of everything else associated with a Battlefield game. But when it comes to portraying women in the setting inaccurately that's crossing the line? You know what, I agree. Who's gonna think of these poor kids getting history lessons from an M-rated videogame, they mights grow up to think that some women served in the WW2!!! THE HORROR!!! What if they grow up to be historians and actually rewrite the history books???

Ciaran

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Opinions that go against the social norm? Like what, misogyny and bigotry? Just leave them be? Fuck no.

Speaking purely from a strategic point of view, if you want to challenge beliefs you feel are wrong then moralising and censorsing is absolutely guaranteed to fail and only strengthen those beliefs and encourage further division in society.

Historical accuracy regarding WWII is extremely important, but FPS video games undermine just about everything about war so including additional women is a drop in an inaccurate ocean. The entire concept of respawning is pretty much an insult to everyone who ever lost their life in war. Also the Norway story involving female characters looks like the most historically accurate part of the game so far.

But you can explain that to people without banning or censoring them, that is completely counterproductive and in fact exactly the kind of thing that traditionalist right wingers do. It's an abject betrayal of progressivism and will only increase the number of people attracted to those views.

The moderation here is already well down the slippery slope back to how it was in the old place. Really sad and completely unnecessary. We're big boys and girls, we should be able to handle people with different views to us.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like kids should read about WW2 then

Why is your answer to make video games into history lessons instead?

I guess you also hate the battle royale mode being in the game since there were no battle royale skirmishes in WW2?

Or are you happy with that mode being included?

This would be funny as hell seeing that my school district seems to always need money for pencils and paper I can't imagine the graphics budget for these history lessons lol 8bit wwii