• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is about EA's response to misogynistic backlash over Battlefield V featuring female characters - not about your personal unrelated complaints about Battlefield V or its customization system in general. Do not enter this thread to dismiss the existence of misogynistic backlash over the game featuring female characters.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/12/17453728/ea-women-in-battlefield-v-backlash-response

Battlefield V's decision to prominently feature women in combat as part of its World War II setting may have angered some gamers online — who responded to the inclusion of female soldiers with the #NotMyBattlefield hashtag — but developers at Electronic Arts and DICE remain unmoved by the reaction.

In an interview with Gamasutra, EA chief creative officer Patrick Söderlund says that the developer is uninterested in taking flak for diversifying the gaming space. "We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don't understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don't buy the game," he says. "I'm fine with either or." According to Söderlund, the dev team itself also pushed for women in Battlefield V

Many of those who used the #NotMyBattlefield hashtag complained that the inclusion of women was "historically inaccurate," despite women playing a variety of roles during WWII as everything from fighter pilots to snipers. Söderlund found the response to be both ignorant and beside the point. "These are people who are uneducated — they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game," he says.

Last edited by a moderator:

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
That is the correct stance to have. Good to see a big company like EA doing it.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Great response. The dumbass sexist cry babies on social media can stfu and vote with their wallets.

Deleted member 1326

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA must be thrilled that this is their controversy this time.
Much easier to manage. You just make the online assholes look like idiots, last year's was a lost battle to begin with.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
EA is such a weird company.

They do things like this that have us singing praises, then they turn around and shit all over their Star Wars exclusive license or pump out cookie cutter sports games or test heinous lootbox implementations.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good on them. I've made sure to make my company females all the way through and to never pick the male option, I'm sure these idiots will still buy the game so I'm hoping to make their "immersive" experience as miserable as possible.

nnarum

Jun 11, 2018
SD
Make your own game if you don't like it. I can't wait for a day where it doesn't matter who the characters are. It shouldn't matter. As long as it's a good game and has a good story, who cares?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
EA had a good move. What timeline is this?

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What on earth? Are people sincerely using a #notmybattlefield tag? No, it simply must be trolling, right?

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Nice work EA. It's good to see a big publisher pushing back against the misogynist and ableist bullshit that followed that reveal. Will be buying for the first time since BF3.

Gaz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
EA are a shit company. This is what the internet is mad at? Women in a game? After all the bullshit EA Pull? Pathetic.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA is such a weird company.

They do things like this that have us singing praises, then they turn around and shit all over their Star Wars exclusive license or pump out cookie cutter sports games or test heinous lootbox implementations.
You could still be greedy company that exploits weak minded kids with rich parent and still not be a misogynistic company.. it's not all black and white.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be buying this game if I like it or not at this point. Good on the devs. No beating around the bush here, people who are pissed are either closet or blatant sexists, plain and simple.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
It is easy to bash on EA but I am super glad they did the right thing here. Looking forward to this game.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I hate to say that I'm not surprised some group out there would have a problem with this. You'd think in 2018 this would no longer be such a thing but with the internet and social media, someone will always push against the popular and "right" option just to stand out.

Good on EA for what they said.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The best answer they could give on this topic.

Oct 27, 2017
Good for them. And fuck the idiots who are upset over this, pretending they give a shit about historical accuracy in fucking Battlefield.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Good response. Hope the women will be featured heavily in the marketing material.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All that really needs to be said about the situation, nice to see a company put it so frankly.