• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
EA filed a patent on November 5 that confirmed cross-save and cross-progression between Origin and Steam for EA games. The following description is from the United States Patents and Trademarks Office.

Individual users may log into the same online game from multiple different social networking platforms. The disclosed technology provides a way to unite users' accounts such that users that have logged into the online game from different social networking platforms can have their progress in the online game preserved regardless of which social networking platforms the user logged in from.Business intelligence about differences in the user's value when logging in from the different social networking platforms can be determined and incentivizing actions can be performed on the social networking platforms based on the business intelligence.

To access their games users will still have to create an EA Origin account and link both Steam and Origin to access the game session. The system allows EA to keep track of all the users that access their games through Steam and understand their playing habits and most importantly, spending habits.

EA will keep track of "revenue generated, virtual currency bought or sold, time logged into online game, time logged into the first online platform (Origin), or number of friends or associates on the first (Origin) and second (Steam) online platform."

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is basically how the Xbox Live integration works, that also means that we won't need origin in background.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crossplay, cross-progression, cross-save, and hopefully cross-buy (not unlike Play Anywhere in that): these should be one of the main focus of gaming going forward, especially with streaming, subscriptions, cheap digital sales and whatnot becoming more and more inviting options. Wherever possible I really hope that games will reach 100% compatibility between the versions so that no matter which device you're playing on, your progress always carries over and you can always play with people on other devices. What Fortnite is doing in that sense is, hopefully, gonna be the industry-standard in some years. It almost feels like sci-fi to me that I can connect my Xbox One controller to my phone in seconds, turn on Fortnite and the experience is the virtually same as on Xbox One bar some obvious graphical compromises. I play against the same people, I progress on the same stuff, what I buy on one carries over to the other.

Glad EA is slowly joining that party after Call Of Duty also started flirting with the idea (KB+M support on consoles, crossplay).

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Man I really hope this leads to changes for everyone, I'm so tired of uplay and it stinks waiting for epic exclusives to move over

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
EA Will Create a Guest Origin Account for Steam Users
EA Origin and Steam are coming together after a long time. EA games like Battlefield, Star Wars, and others will be accessible through Steam.
It is a smart move considering Steam's large install base and EA's Origin launcher isn't the most reliable of platforms.

We dug up another patent for you today which sheds some more light into how EA Origin and Steam will communicate with each other.

We were able to locate a patent filed at the United States Trademark and Patents Office. Electronic Arts filed the patent on November 12, 2019, and it is a very interesting read.

It looks like EA will let unregistered Steam players access to EA Origin games.

Players would still require an EA Origin account to play games via Steam but EA will create a guest account for you. Both Steam and EA Origin will link up with the same credentials, at least that's what it sounds like.

This disclosure relates to enabling a user to access a game without registering for a platform account. In implementations, if an unregistered user attempts to access a game supported by a gaming platform, a guest account may be automatically created for the user in response to receiving a request for the user to access the game. The guest account may enable the user to access the game without first registering with the gaming platform.

Source: https://respawnfirst.com/ea-will-create-a-guest-origin-account-for-steam-users/

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
This is great news but I'm trying to think of any games I'm interested in that will benefit. If they released Titanfall 2 on Steam.. that would be huge.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, these are features planned right? If you buy Fallen Order right now, you still need to have Origin right?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I welcome it. I'm super open to TF2, Apex, and Fallen Order being on STEAM

All I simply ask is that I don't need Origin running the background to play STEAM versions of those games.

I'm still kinda confused tho, all this info says yes and no that this still needs to happen

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I welcome it. I'm super open to TF2, Apex, and Fallen Order being on STEAM

All I simply ask is that I don't need Origin running the background to play STEAM versions of those games.

I'm still kinda confused tho, all this info says yes and no that this still needs to happen

TF2 has been on Steam for 12 years and still has a good sized playerbase. šŸ˜‰