• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Damage control, damage control, damage control.

"Now please give us money for our Star Wars-themed slot machine. Think of all the pride and accomplishment you'll feel!"

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
EA has had predatory awful consumer hurting practices for years and people still gave them money. They were rewarded and told this was okay. People will buy this game too and then it will get worse in the future. Most of the people on reddit complaining have no one to blame but themselves.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
If I tweeted out that my clientele shouldn't "backseat IT support" people, and my managers found out, I'd be fired.

Just saying.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It just feels all so predatory and like large companies are exploiting the same psychological ticks that work on gambling addicts.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it takes 60 hours to unlock a champion in league of legends even.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am hoping for as much backlash as possible here. I don't want the next Battlefield to be saddled with this shit.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just feels all so predatory and like large companies are exploiting the same psychological ticks that work on gambling addicts.

That is exactly what they are doing. There are companies that hire psicologists to devise methods to bleed money from consumers.

Oct 27, 2017
EA is treating this game like it's Galaxy of Fucking Heroes, without understanding the extreme differences between the two audiences. It's just incredible how much they've managed to mismanage the Star Wars license.

Damage control, damage control, damage control.

"Now please give us money for our Star Wars-themed slot machine. Think of all the pride and accomplishment you'll feel!"

I am starting to agree with these sentiments. Such an outstanding game being shoehorned with their gross mismanagement/gambling, and it is starting to feel like they are slapping gamers and Star Wars fans in the face. Like an, "our way or the highway" attitude.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Is it possible everything will be unlocked for offline play against bots ?

I don't really care about online, just like most games I want to buy this to take some screenshots and then move on

But in the first game I was able to try out any of the heroes

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
By buying this game you will encourage EA to put this system in their other upcoming games as well.

I beg you, do not give them your money.

Agreed. EA is seeing just how onerous and predatory they can make their unlock system and economy when the game is tied to Star Wars. They are testing the waters to see just how much they can get away with if people want the brand enough.

OP
OP

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA is treating this game like it's Galaxy of Fucking Heroes, without understanding the extreme differences between the two audiences. It's just incredible how much they've managed to mismanage the Star Wars license.

That's the F2P Star Wars mobile game isn't it?

Well... https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13383714_f520.jpg

The crystals cost in BF2 matches the F2P game lol. At least the $99.99 cap.

People should remind EA this isn't a F2P game. It has to be tuned fairer.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
its worse here because children can get involved, the EA shit is beyond low

Yeah good point. And while I'm a pretty big advocate of parents monitoring the media their children consume I can't exactly blame any parents who don't have the time/energy to get well versed in what exactly is going on in every single games as a service ecosystem.

Zambayoshi

Nov 2, 2017
LOL, EA. Like others have said, I won't be buying this shitty game. I've got plenty of others to play. Games that don't take the piss with my time and money.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
No amount of backlash is going to stop people from buying and playing a star wars game. Hope this all cathartic for everybody.

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
The sad truth is Battlefront 2 is going to sell millions and thsee paywalls will successfully make EA millions... perhaps more than any other game they have ever made.

Hell, more than half the people bitching are still gonna buy it and half of those imbeciles are gonna buy loot boxes too. The hypocrisy among outraged gamers is unreal.

Oct 25, 2017
Upstate NY
I think it's pretty great to see that most people posting in regards to this game seem to be on the same page: They're either completely uninterested now or have already canceled their pre-orders. I buy pretty much anything, because I love to dive into these controversial things head first so I can discuss them with some real knowledge... you know, sort of see how bad something the internet has set ablaze with hatred really is. Usually, they aren't as bad as people make them out to be... but I've canceled this. When a studio makes it so even I won't buy a game, they've REALLY messed up.

I feel bad for others who pre-ordered on platforms they won't be refunded for, though. At the very least, that should be a lesson learned.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, they want to keep you engaged for as possible by drip feeding you "rewards" to maximize lootbox sales. An active player may buy boxes, one who quits until the next content drop wouldn't.

I'm surprised they haven't added a daily login reward yet, another tried and true staple of free to play games.
You get a daily crate for logging in.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
This whole prospect of developers constantly tweaking the reward structure of their games after launch just disgusts me. There is absolutley nothing stopping them from reducing reward curves to further incentivize in game purchases down the road. Its clear by the way they have designed these systems that they are absolutely not designed to make people feel as though they are getting any sense of satisfaction or reward from playing they are designed around trying to make things as obtuse and inconvenient as possible so as to encourage players to spend more money and its absolutely gross to see them constantly try to push boundaries just to see how much they can get away with before there's some sort of community outcry.

There are responsible and consumer friendly ways to implement in game transactions; ways that don't diminish the player's ability to enjoy the game they've purchased. EA has shown no desire to pursue such a path and instead opts for ever more design altering implementations that further and further diminish the player's enjoyment of the games they make. Why? Because they have brands that they think people will buy no matter how awful their in game monetization schemes are. Eventually they will be proven wrong and whenever that happens we might actually see meaningful change in thier design process instead of minor tweaks to existing reward systems to make them less outright offensive to the player base.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
No amount of backlash is going to stop people from buying and playing a star wars game. Hope this all cathartic for everybody.

And yet here they are, making multiple statements in a single day. If they lose 10% of the battlefront fanbase thats 1.5 million players, and roughly 90 million dollars in revenue.

Oct 27, 2017
Whelp, Best Buy has Titanfall 2 Deluxe for $19.99 ($15.99 GCU) brand new. I have yet to play that game. I will be getting that this week instead, and get some fun in before EA shits all over that game with their P2W model for the 3rd one.

Sucks, because I was looking forward to this game so, so much as a huge SW geek for well over 30 years. I just can't get behind this predatory model unless things change for those who gave you $60 damned dollars for it. The grind is atrocious.

Really wanted it mainly for the single player aspect with Iden's story, etc..

Oct 25, 2017
Upstate NY
This whole prospect of developers constantly tweaking the reward structure of their games after launch just disgusts me. There is absolutley nothing stopping them from reducing reward curves to further incentivize in game purchases down the road. Its clear by the way they have designed these systems that they are absolutely not designed to make people feel as though they are getting any sense of satisfaction or reward from playing they are designed around trying to make things as obtuse and inconvenient as possible so as to encourage players to spend more money and its absolutely gross to see them constantly try to push boundaries just to see how much they can get away with before there's some sort of community outcry.

There are responsible and consumer friendly ways to implement in game transactions; ways that don't diminish the player's ability to enjoy the game they've purchased. EA has shown no desire to pursue such a path and instead opts for ever more design altering implementations that further and further diminish the player's enjoyment of the games they make. Why? Because they have brands that they think people will buy no matter how awful their in game monetization schemes are. Eventually they will be proven wrong and whenever that happens we might actually see meaningful change in thier design process instead of minor tweaks to existing reward systems to make them less outright offensive to the player base.

The problem with this post is that, this kind of logic really only applies to us... the people who care about gaming enough to actually keep our ears to the ground. The general public, the 'casual' gamers, are going to buy this game in droves, and probably buy a lot of loot boxes, too. With Ubisoft announcing their microtransactions sales are over their digital distribution sales, I think that's got to paint a pretty sad and accurate picture as to what's going on. Sadly, I don't think it really matters what we do anymore. Glad to see the game may be tweaked A LITTLE, but they can't change our minds on this substantial grind unless they do something... you know, substantial.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
There is a strong disconnect between gamers who want a slow meaningful progression for Multiplayer unlocks over an extended period of time to foster continual engagement and those who want to experience all the content as fast as possible before moving on to their next game. The first player is far more lucrative to publishers, the second player is far more loud on social media. The fact that the second group doesn't realize how out of touch they are is too bad.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah good point. And while I'm a pretty big advocate of parents monitoring the media their children consume I can't exactly blame any parents who don't have the time/energy to get well versed in what exactly is going on in every single games as a service ecosystem.
exactly, its different and frequent in every game, all the currency goes by a different title
they color it up with cutesy themed names like "crystals" and most adults should be able to discern exactly whats going on, but kids buy into it so fast i see it all the time

then you have children who get straight up addicted in their own right, kids who will steal their parents cards etc., EA is breeding this garbage and its so much more prominent because they are in AAA console games that people expect are big budget titles monitored/tested and released, the average person would think its scam proof because of how large of a name it is

phone games with disgusting tactics generally reek of scam and are small scale titles, but AAA titles hide it under expectation and well thought out glitter

Ekasra097

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan and was very hopeful this game was going to fix many of the problems I had with the 2015 game. I loved the heck of the beta, and have played about five hours so far on PC. I was planning on pre-ordering the Deluxe edition so I could play on Tuesday but I don't think I'll even be purchasing the game at all after seeing how powerful some of these star cards are. This is a massive problem.

Hopefully they reverse some of this or else this will be a purchase when the game hits $30.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
And yet here they are, making multiple statements in a single day. If they lose 10% of the battlefront fanbase thats 1.5 million players, and roughly 90 million dollars in revenue.

I don't know how seriously I should be taking these statements, especially when they can easily make that amount back and more from the rest of the people who are happy to spend big on microtransactions.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, Best Buy has Titanfall 2 Deluxe for $19.99 ($15.99 GCU) brand new. I have yet to play that game. I will be getting that this week instead, and get some fun in before EA shits all over that game with their P2W model for the 3rd one.

Sucks, because I was looking forward to this game so, so much as a huge SW geek for well over 30 years. I just can't get behind this predatory model unless things change for those who gave you $60 damned dollars for it. The grind is atrocious.

What happened to looking at this objectively? You now see why I replied to you the way I did this morning?

It's a damn shame, but it's EA.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Just wait for the inevitable backpedaling and half-assed apology. Once the whales are hooked they'll scale back the gnarliest aspects of their progression (20 hours to unlock Vader, rather than 40) and give away free credits.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017

Their response does not change any of the core mechanics people are complaining about. It's lip service to a group of people who don't realize yet how little power they have.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yea they are getting trashed everywhere and it's getting worse over how they handled BF2. They are gonna need to do something soon to try and fix this mess cause it's only going to get worse as word keeps spreading. Their PR answers so far aren't doing them any favors

Oct 25, 2017
Upstate NY
Losing a job is a very, very serious thing. I get that the tweet was shitty, but it wasn't so bad that it should disrupt and possibly ruin his life for a long while.

I'll agree he shouldn't lose his job. It was just sort of like an, "Wow, what's happening right now is pretty unreal" moment. What he said was extremely stupid, though. Again, fuel on the fire.

But I just don't like to see people lose their jobs unless they really deserve it... but realistically, from a business perspective, he probably does deserve it.

Imagine you're the person behind the wheel, driving Miss Daisy. You careen off a bridge and into a lake. Are they going to chalk that up as a mistake and 'see you tomorrow', or are you going to be fired? Probably the latter. Similarly, this guy's job is public relations... and he really sort of mini-Don Mattricked this today.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Armchair developer....just because you work for a developer doesnt mean you know what's best. If you did, you wouldn't do betas for that valuable user feedback. If you didn't need us then why do you need all this information from us. Such hypocrites

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to looking at this objectively? You now see why I replied the way I did this morning?

It's a damn shame, but it's EA.

I wanted all the facts, and there was a lot of misinformation being spread among the flames. I was always against the grind, and spoken out about it every time. But the more and more I am seeing things transpire, "The darkness rises, and the light to meet it."

Still hoping for the light, but not holding my breath at the moment.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder what information they extrapolated out of the beta that said players wanted to spend 40 hours unlocking 1 character.

Mr.Flufferson

Oct 25, 2017
I get what they are saying with trying to generate a sense of pride and accomplishment. This sense of progression and rewards is what releases our dopamine and makes games addictive. And because it is addictive it makes these practices predatory and manipulative because it coerces people into spending on microtransactions. If they really cared about accomplishment then they would have removed microtransactions altogether. But really it is just an obvious attempt to milk people fore extra money because millions of people paying $60 each isn't enough.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nah, EA, you're not Dark Souls. You're not making us overcome a great challenge to feel a sense of pride. You're wasting our time because you're fucking greedy. Plain and simple.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That community manager is probably going to lose his job over that tweet and that sucks. It was dumb, but not job-losing dumb. There's no sympathy on the internet though, MUST DESTROY.

As for EA's stance... not great. Not great.

I mean, when your literal job is being a community manager and you decide to make a statement that attacks the community, that is job-losing dumb.

I get it, it sucks. But that's one of the worst things he could do in the position he has.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the pride I'll feel when I hand over 19.99 so i can unlock Darth Vader.

Oct 25, 2017
Upstate NY

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens. I mean, the last game didn't go so well because not enough people bought the season passes. The community kept getting fractioned off into smaller and smaller bases with the release of each new piece of DLC, and it eventually killed that game's community (well, for the most part). This game, however, isn't going to have that problem of divide because everyone gets all the new maps and what not for free and will be playing together. The real test this time is going to be about seeing how long the average player's engagement is. People are getting really tired of the 'grind as content' thing... Destiny 2's plummeting numbers seem to show that. So... we'll see. We'll see.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Guess this armchair developer won't be buying the game then.

Really dislike this attitude that consumers should just shut up and take this kind of stuff. The game would be solid if it weren't for this kind of nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.