• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem will be out in less than a month and based on the Vip demo a technical disaster is coming, and everyone who followed closely the game development suspected it, just like it was with Andromeda: the game is being rushed because it needs to be out before the fiscal year comes to an end.

So besides the state of the demo [a 6 weeks old build], now we have this

Eurogamer.pt asked Ben Irving, lead producer, why Anthem doesn't run at 60 fps on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. He answered that they haven't had the time to optimize, but Anthem will be running at 60 fps on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro after launch. Here's the full quote:

"This value was not ready at launch. We like the idea of unlocking 30 fps, we just do not know when we will have this 60 fps target ready. It will take longer to optimize the game and have it ready. After the release we will get it, but we could not get it in time for the release."

https://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/2...em-nao-corre-a-60-fps-na-ps4-pro-e-xbox-one-x

What the hell? how can it be more clear that this?

When will EA understand than the controversy and bad press around their games is doing a far more significant damage than delay the games the months they need, even if it means missing the fiscal year deadline?

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You're speaking as if they make decisions based on consumer demands, as opposed to investor ones.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's... not something you should hold up a whole game's launch for.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They make games for investors not consumers, come on

Also, if not running at 60fps is the worst problem Anthem has...that's not bad.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately games can and do sell even if they lack features or are downright broken, and many end up having success stories by fixing the game months if not years down the line. No Man's Sky or DriveClub come to mind. Of course this also risks damaging a brand new brand (no pun intended) as a lot of players could leave before the game is in an ideal shape, something that is happening to Destiny to an extent (game is big but not quite where Activision and Bungie would have expected). Anthem was also delayed already and with games like The Division 2 coming too (plus the upcoming Destiny 3 at one point, the likely Borderlands 3 this or next year, etc.), they really couldn't wait any longer probably. But I agree, broken or incomplete launches are a bad trend.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Agree with the title of the post. However, there are hundreds of things to fix here before worrying about 60FPS on console!

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
DICE and BioWare must find a way to leave EA. I don't want either of them to shut down..

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
It isn't a matter of time, EA give Bioware 5 years to make that this piece of shit Andromeda, Bioware is incompetent.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I can only imagine EA's reponse:

giphy.gif

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i fully expect the game to be shipped in a questionable technical state at this point, no way there will be a 180 from the VIP demo on release

in a perfect world they would release this first on PC and the game would have had a multiple months long beta in advance. then, optimize the console versions and take your time for that.

but this is not how it works, they want the game out.

i foresee a shitstorm with the usual defense force handwaving everything away and in a year, when the game will be in a good technical state the articles will come "this is how great Anthem is now!" with people babbling of a "big turnaround".

we will see how this story unfolds but i will have my popcorn ready for the release week .-)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I dont really see the link between the quote to be fair. I mean i love a 60fps option but they dont know when and how long it takes to get there. I mean they are not gonna hold back a release for a 60fps option for two consoles wich probably have the smallest playerbase. Dont see what that links to EA rushing.

Exactly.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The only reason they will stop is if it hugely affects sales, like battlefield v.

So if it is a technical disaster, don't buy it at release. Sales is the only language they speak.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Optimization to get from mid 40s to 60fps can take months and hit pretty hard on the quality of textures and all.
When you see how some artistic puddles changes make "gamers" furious, imagine if it was for a reason like performance.
What about if the game was delayed multiple quarters because of a feature most of the people who'll buy the game (casual gamers) don't care about ?

No matter how you look at it, higher framerate is not something sexy everyone wants, only a few dedicated people who are but a small percentage of the final consumer base.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It already hits 60 at times though and is unlocked around 45 most of the time on Pro. If they remove that option and cap it at 30 I'll cancel my pre order until they hit it because the gameplay just feels bad at 30.

OP
OP
nDesh

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I dont really see the link between the quote to be fair. I mean i love a 60fps option but they dont know when and how long it takes to get there. I mean they are not gonna hold back a release for a 60fps option for two consoles wich probably have the smallest playerbase. Dont see what that links to EA rushing.

I mean, the state of the demo (6 weeks old build) plus that.

Oct 29, 2017
Anthem had like 6 years of dev time. Even Andromeda had like 5.

Did BioWare use that time effectively? Possibly not. But these are NOT Dragon Age II situations where EA imposed a tight deadline. BioWare was given ample time for these games.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ea have an odd history of this. Remember how Don Mattrick wouldn't allow TimeSplitters 3 to be delayed at the team's request for polish because it would hurt their end of year financial reports.

Modern EA treat employees really well, but they need to be more willing to push games back six months for polish.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Look after BF5 disaster they cannot delay Anthem for shareholders sake.... EA is playing a very dangerous game with SWBF2, BF5 and Anthem where they'll fix their games on the go after release

I agree that this has to stop.

Reddit leaker turned out to be right when he said performance was a disaster on both PS4 and Xbox.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Not to sound like a broken record, but you do know that bioware has been working on this game since 2012 and EA has been pretty lenient on the release date?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
They make games for investors not consumers, come on

Also, if not running at 60fps is the worst problem Anthem has...that's not bad.
Trust me, it's not the only thing. There have been some things that were in the Alpha that wasn't fixed for the "VIP" beta, which makes you question what the point of the alpha was for. Hopefully they will continue to address things after launch but it is definitely not a Day 1 for me.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
EA's obligation is to their shareholders, not the consumer. So kindly keep forking over your money. Everything will be sorted out afterwards.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only way for EA (and others) to stop acting like EA (and others), is to stop purchasing their games (blindly)...

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't somebody leak this news on here already a few months ago that this game was a developmental nightmare and wouldn't be ready for launch? Might even get delayed again??

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
"This value was not ready at launch. We like the idea of unlocking 30 fps, we just do not know when we will have this 60 fps target ready. It will take longer to optimize the game and have it ready. After the release we will get it, but we could not get it in time for the release."
"And if it fails we'll drop it like Andromeda."

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They want it out this fiscal year just like they wanted Andromeda out for that year. And also, this game has been in development for five years. The technical issues are probably in no small part due to them trying to fit a square peg in a round hole again with Frostbite 3, which has been a disaster for EA this generation

vkbest

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
It already hits 60 at times though and is unlocked around 45 most of the time on Pro. If they remove that option and cap it at 30 I'll cancel my pre order until they hit it because the gameplay just feels bad at 30.
Are you sure? I read yesterday the game was running between 15-30fps on Pro

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

This. According to the OP, every game ever has been rushed to release...which it has, because every product in development ever gets to a point where further investment without income will lead to a financial failure. EA isn't going to delay a game so that the demo can be as polished as a day one release...

LOL at people blaming EA for this and all this other nonsense....this is all on Bioware. It was already delayed to the point where it is now. We are seeing a pattern with Bioware games this gen which many people pointed out when we found out Bioware was developing this game. Besides Dragon Age they have nothing entertaining to show for from the past decade or so.

I'm sorry didnt this game have a 6 year development time? How is that rushing?

It makes you cool to blame EA/Activision/UbiSoft for everything, didn't you know? People deal with the reality that they fell for blind hype in a variety of ways lol...

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They need to stop releasing Battlefield ever 2 years. In fact they need to get rid of Battlefront.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
The game has been worked on 6 years, and was delayed. Saying it is "rushed" seems pretty hyperbolic

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of negativity surrounding Anthem in multiple threads. And I've done my best to voice its positivity for those of you who are still on the fence about buying it. If you can look past the Evil EA image the company gives itself, there's a lot of fun here. Demos/betas are meant to test servers. This weekend was a mess but the times I got to played, it lived up to my hype and I loved every minute of it. Here's hoping that things will get ironed out for next week's public beta, and I hope it sways more opinions.

I don't work for the company or the industry. I just don't like the groupthink hate toward an unreleased game.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Anthem had like 6 years of dev time. Even Andromeda had like 5.

Did BioWare use that time effectively? Possibly not. But these are NOT Dragon Age II situations where EA imposed a tight deadline. BioWare was given ample time for these games.
Anthem (very sadly) lost its lead designer Corey Gaspur in 2017. It goes without saying that will have affected the team greatly on a personal level and may have derailed development for a while at least.

It doesn't change whether the game should have been delayed but it certainly shouldn't be ignored when considering the game's development.

Oct 26, 2017
Anthem and Battlefield 5 are launching/launched with very little content and both look nowhere close to finished.

Anthem has been in development since 2012 though so that's a bit on Bioware...

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem has been in development for 6 years. How the fuck is that rushing things? lmao At least think before making posts like this.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
March 31st says fuck you, OP.

In all honesty, it's sad. Sony have shown time and time again this generation that delaying games can lead to masterpieces. Just this week Nintendo has done the same with MP4. At this point, it's almost more risky to launch games prematurely. The amount of quality games releasing every month is just too big to ignore.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Anthem will be out in less than a month and based on the Vip demo a technical disaster is coming, and everyone who followed closely the game development suspected it, just like it was with Andromeda: the game is being rushed because it needs to be out before the fiscal year comes to an end.

So besides the state of the demo [a 6 weeks old build], now we have this

What the hell? how can it be more clear that this?

When will EA understand than the controversy and bad press around their games is doing a far more significant damage than delay the games the months they need, even if it means missing the fiscal year deadline?

Why do you think its doing significant damage when last year was like their most profitable year in history?

Oct 25, 2017
The game has been in development for 5 years and the title of the OP is stop rushing games? Lmao! OP, you realized that the people who worked on this game (if they were there from the beginning) missed out on 5 years of their lives to deliver this and you're retort to them is to stop rushing? How is 5 years rushing a game?!

On topic, this is not enough for me to bug out about if the rest of the game functions fine. Frame rate drops is not that deep enough for me to get outraged over. And if you don't want to feel this supposed rush, how about not buying the game until you feel its ready for you?