• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The GTA parent had agreed an offer to purchase the veteran racing game firm, valuing it at $980m, but it was later outbid by EA which agreed an increased offer of $1.2 billion. The Codemasters board then withdrew its recommendation for Take-Two's offer.

On Wednesday Take-Two said that, with the consent of its board of directors, it's now lapsed its offer to Codemasters.

The company's action is possible due to a clause which said it could pull its offer should Codemasters not hold a Shareholder Meeting related to the potential acquisition on or before January 12.

Following the first news of EA's accepted offer in December, Take-Two had said it was considering its options.

On Wednesday the company did not explicitly state that it wouldn't return with an increased offer for Codemasters, but its statement appeared to suggest it was now considering other acquisition targets.

"Take-Two remains a highly disciplined organization and, with its strong balance sheet, will continue to pursue selectively organic and inorganic opportunities that are designed to enhance the Take-Two's long-term growth and deliver results to its shareholders," it said in a statement.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Take-Two officially pulls its offer for Codemasters following accepted EA bid | VGC

GTA parent says it will "continue to pursue" acquisition opportunities after it was outbid…

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The nightmare scenario would be them getting a similar smaller publisher like paradox or something.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's what that guys was talking about it yesterday.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll continue to be bullish on this. EA is sitting on more absent (or diminished, in the case of NFS) racing IP to which Codies talents can be applied, and I feel better about the F1 series and a WRC-licensed Dirt Rally continuing. The nightmare scenario for me was always Codies being put to task on improving GTA6's driving mechanics or some other wasteful bullshit.

I love Codies so I really hope this works for them. Despite their perception amongst gamers, aren't EA considered to be good to work for, too?

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
rip my hopes for midnight club

Codemasters was going to be under 2K Games and not Rockstar.

You had a 0,1% chances of seeing a new Midnight Club

I love Codies so I really hope this works for them. Despite their perception amongst gamers, aren't EA considered to be good to work for, too?

They are.

EA will keep F1, WRC running and maybe kill one of the Dirt series, i can see more and better NFS happening and Burnout to be resurrected.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll continue to be bullish on this. EA is sitting on more absent (or diminished, in the case of NFS) racing IP to which Codies talents can be applied, and I feel better about the F1 series and a WRC-licensed Dirt Rally continuing. The nightmare scenario for me was always Codies being put to task on improving GTA6's driving mechanics or some other wasteful bullshit.

You don't spend close to a billion dollars just to improve GTA's driving mechanics lol.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
RIP Codies is a hot take. Only the F1 studio produces top-tier racing game and the core "Rally" team is also solid other then that rest of the Codemasters is a giant pile of mediocracy.

Dirt 4 - 6/10
GRiD (Reboot) - 5/10
Dirt 5 (ex Evolution guys) - 7/10

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They have been named worst company in America a few times in the past. Has that changed?

Insomniac was named one of the best places to work (multiple times) and had sexual harassment going on and sexism.

www.resetera.com

"I left Insomniac Games because of how they treat women" Ex-Employee speaks out

Follow the thread here Some excerpts: Worth pointing out that Edgar was eventually fired. Read the thread for the rest. Awful stuff and even more shocking that the behavior came from a member of the HR team. We need to do better.

Can you describe how those awards work and what criteria goes into giving these companies those awards?

By all accounts, EA treats employees very well and gives them good benefits.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, not surprising. Publishers buy studios, it's a old tale. We're bound to see more acquisitions and consolidation. Big business will always adhere to its nature.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Insomniac was named one of the best places to work (multiple times) and had sexual harassment going on and sexism.

www.resetera.com

Follow the thread here Some excerpts: Worth pointing out that Edgar was eventually fired. Read the thread for the rest. Awful stuff and even more shocking that the behavior came from a member of the HR team. We need to do better.

Can you describe how those awards work and what criteria goes into giving these companies those awards?

That was from the consumers point of view. For employees they're one of the best in the gaming industry.
That was from the consumers point of view. For employees they're one of the best in the gaming industry.
Glad to be wrong.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Screw the racing games, I want a Dizzy reboot along the lines of Super Dizzy Galaxy/Odyssey.
Though I think the Oliver twins may actually own the IP since they have the old games available to play in browser on their personal website.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly EA seems like a much better parent company than Take Two. I hope good things come from this.

Oct 27, 2017
F1 Ultimate Team will be the first time EA has created a money sink that's slightly less of a waste of money than investing in the sport itself.

Oct 27, 2017
RIP Codies is a hot take. Only the F1 studio produces top-tier racing game and the core "Rally" team is also solid other then that rest of the Codemasters is a giant pile of mediocracy.

Dirt 4 - 6/10
GRiD (Reboot) - 5/10
Dirt 5 (ex Evolution guys) - 7/10

Dirt Rally is absolutely top tier, I'd argue even moreso than F1.

Mileage varies on their other output but "giant pile of mediocracy" feels extremely harsh.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

Take Two wants to release more games each year. They weren't going to use Codemasters to make Rockstar stronger. Only thing that could have happened was a Codemasters studio being put on Midnight Club - if Take Two still believes in that IP - and it being released under the Rockstar brand.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

I don't know why people keep bringing up rockstar constantly. Codemasters was likely never going to be in any way involved with them.

T2 wouldve likely used CM to expand their 2k sports label with F1 and Dirt/WRC eventually.

This is pretty much what EA is gonna do to their EA sports label anyway. They already had the F1 license back in the day. They'll keep making F1 and Dirt/WRC games guaranteed.

The only difference is that I can see EA giving CM a go at NFS whereas I don't think T2 would've given MC another chance. The Evo studios guys could make a great classic (NFS1-6) style NFS imo.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was always a laughably bad "gamers thing", if I understand rightly. I don't believe that's ever been a reflection of their internal culture or working conditions.
Yep. Capital G gamers have a weird hate for EA. Workers have generally been happy working for them.
I don't understand. We already knew that in december, right?
T2 could theoretically outbid EA if they wanted. The news now is that they removed their offer and EA has a clear path to acquisition.

Oct 27, 2017
Take Two wants to release more games each year. They weren't going to use Codemasters to make Rockstar stronger. Only thing that could have happened was a Codemasters studio being put on Midnight Club - if Take Two still believes in that IP - and it being released under the Rockstar brand.

Fair enough, but I'll stick to my suspicion that this will ultimately be better under EA than Take-Two regardless. It might be reductionary to just assume Codies will plug straight into EA's dormant racing IP but, if there's even a chance that they do, then I'll take it - even just as a straight numbers game that there are more of them under EA than Take-Two.

Really though a lot of this stuff is discussion for around the edges. What happens to the myriad of arcade racers potentially involved here is a personal hope, but secondary to the main reasons for EA doing this deal; the two major licenses and the e-sports potential and involvement.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Dirt Rally is absolutely top tier, I'd argue even moreso than F1.

Mileage varies on their other output but "giant pile of mediocracy" feels extremely harsh.

I said that to the rest of the team. Dirt Rally and F1 games are top tier but other stuff is way below that standard GRiD reboot was terrible (original GRiD is still my favorite simcade singleplayer racing game) Dirt 4 was the definition of mediocre and Dirt 5 only manages to beat that in some departments.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA

My thoughts on the matter is that they rebrand Need for Speed like their yearly sports titles and then all of their racing franchises should be under the Need for Speed label: Need For Speed Dirt, Need for Speed F1, Need for Speed Burnout, and others. They have enough racing developers they could probably get one game out a year without it feeling like overload, since each subseries would be unique.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, but I'll stick to my suspicion that this will ultimately be better under EA than Take-Two regardless. It might be reductionary to just assume Codies will plug straight into EA's dormant racing IP but, if there's even a chance that they do, then I'll take it - even just as a straight numbers game that there are more of them under EA than Take-Two.

Really though a lot of this stuff is discussion for around the edges. What happens to the myriad of arcade racers potentially involved here is a personal hope, but secondary to the main reasons for EA doing this deal; the two major licenses and the e-sports potential and involvement.
I do have the same feeling indeed, largely because I don't link Take Two to racing.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
FlorianĂłpolis, Brazil
My thoughts on the matter is that they rebrand Need for Speed like their yearly sports titles and then all of their racing franchises should be under the Need for Speed label: Need For Speed Dirt, Need for Speed F1, Need for Speed Burnout, and others. They have enough racing developers they could probably get one game out a year without it feeling like overload, since each subseries would be unique.
I highly doubt the massively protective F1/FIA/Liberty Media organization would allow such travesty as "Need for Speed: F1".
The yearly F1 games labeled nothing more than F1 20XX already do just fine. Maybe an "EA Presents: F1 2021" is on the cards, but that's it.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I think after the last few debacles EA has changed their stance on a lot of things. Studios like Reespawn get more freedom, people like Zampeela have more say at EA, they do more remasters and smaller games like Squadrons and it takes two,dice gets an extra year to develope the next bf. I feel like they are a way better fit then take two. And they treat their employees decent.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Advanced Acquisitions Simulator, ÂŁ2.99. "Absolutely Brilliant" - David Darling.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

www.resetera.com

Sorry to derail the thread, but is that Edgar Vargas shady HR figure still at Insomniac?

Feb 8, 2018
wasn't it rumoured a while ago EA is the one rather than Take two? Yes obviously there is tons of experience regarding EA/Sports games but I believe a TT contract would lead to less predictable products.

Last edited:

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The nightmare scenario would be them getting a similar smaller publisher like paradox or something.
i don't get this from a costumer perspective.
Take two is a horrible publisher due to all the extreme microtrasanctions in a game and low ammount of inovation specially when you look at sports games like their basketball games.
EA is also a horrible publisher with most of their games filed with microtransactions and gameplay balance many times influence by said microtransaction. looking at star wars battlefront 2, NFS and fifa.

Paradox basically does expansions in small sizes with relatively cheap DLC. They rarely ever add microtransactions or predatory mechanics. Yet somehow they are a nightmare scenario? Looking at every PDS game, citie skylines, PoE and tyranny.

I'll be blunt and say if either EA or take2 get codemasters chances are they are gone from a normal SP title and isntead will venture in another type of business.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
No Ea own the best football game, Sensible World of Soccer 96/97. Retire Fifa, your days are done.