• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
EA was asked on their investor call why they expected a 3% year over year decline for Q3 revenue.

Most of the answer was about how Battlefield 1 was a massive hit and a 3% decline was very small given this, but they also stated this about Titanfall's performance.

IIRC EA was originally hoping for something like 7+ million copies.

We also had Titanfall, which while it didn't meet our original expectation, still sold very well.
Source: https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The hope for 3 lives on. I need it, and I need it bad, after that fucking AMAZING campaign.

Wish it sold 20 million copies, but that's life

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the campaign. EA did the game a disservice by launching it when they did..

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
I love Titanfall 2, one of the best online games I have played in years. Also the post launch support is amazing. PC population is a bit low though.

Here's to Titanfall 3.

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta launch Titanfall 3 in Q1 or Q2 next time around. I'm already hyped for the campaign.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe next time don't release it between CoD and BF then.

Titanfall 2 is a great game, and deserved better than being sent to die between two popular franchises.

SunDimension24

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hope that means that Titanfall 3 can live on. Next time don't stuff the game between two extremely big AAA shooters that take the mindshare away from it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The thing I don't understand about their Titanfall 2 timing is that it ruined the perfect, ideal three-pronged strategy :

Year 1: Battlefield
Year 2: Battlefront
Year 3: Titanfall

Rinse repeat.

Three year cycle of 3 relatively different FPS franchises, 3-year dev cycle for all of them. Would've been ideal.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Maybe they'll learn to let their releases breathe. Just one month before or after BF1 would have been enough. People simply don't have infinite money, time, and attention.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"Below expectations". And what fucking expectations were those EA? To soften Call of Duty sales? Because it sure wasn't for this game to sell as much as BF1. You launched it at a terrible time, had terrible marketing.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it for the well regarded campaign, I stayed for the surprisingly great multiplayer. If there ever is a 3, I hope they put the grappling hook in its campaign. Titanfall 2's offers some of the most fun mobility to have in an FPS.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA is largely to blame. They limited Tf one to xbox which right off the bat prob hurt the sequel on PS4...instead on investing in Tf they wanted someone else to take the risk. poor EA. Than 2 was released with little marketing in the fall against COD, BF1.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
If you are a single player only person here are two arguments:

One: It's most unique first person campaign since Mirror's Edge
Two: It's currently on sale for dirt cheap on EU PSN

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall 2 is honestly one of the greatest games of the generation imo. Sad to see it didn't sell as well as it should, but I do respect EA for continuing to support it, and I desperately hope they continue to.

And yeah, the release date was awful. Pretty much sent it out to die. Way too many big name shooters in that timeframe.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Titanfall 2 was great and better than Battlefield 1 and COD: IW but the geniuses at EA decided to bury it by putting it between Battlefield 1 and COD: IW so of course, it wasn't going to meet their outrageous expectations. SMH.

Oct 27, 2017
Based on previous behavior from EA, this means that Respawn has about 4 months before being shafted and the partnership dissolved, no?

I didn't love it like many others, but it was high quality and the studio is very talented.

Joker Code

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
That's good. Hopefully they'll make Titanfall l 3 someday. Titanfall 2 was fantastic. One of my favorite campaigns in years.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
My wallet for a third game.

Best shooter campaign in years, and my favorite game this entire generation.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love an even bigger more involved campaign for Titanfall 3. The MP is great, don't get me wrong there but if they fleshed out everything they did with 2 and kept the creativity I'd be in heaven.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I call BS. It's been forever below games that came out a year+ before it on the Xbox live most played charts.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Those dumb shits sold it in a horrendous time frame.

To this day I still cannot comprehend what they were thinking with that release date.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully its budget wasn't overblown. Some of these games can seriously make a nice profit with decent sales depending on how that goes.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, how could have have expected $7 million when they barely promoted it and put it up against BF1 and COD?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They sent it out to die.
You don't send a game out to die by paying for co-branding deals with Target, Mountain Dew, Doritos, and Buffalo Wild Wings.

EA honestly believed their game could take down CoD, because Infinite Warfare was shaping up to underwhelm and Titanfall 2 is a phenomenal game. They just wrongfully assumed it could hold water against Battlefield 1, and the continuing storm of interest in Overwatch.

Instead it flopped at release. Fortunately Respawn treated the game well for months to come, and it had a devoted fanbase that kept it ticking longer than most AAA multiplayer shooters.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall 2 campaign was amazing, better than it had any right to be, and I will gladly day one purchase a Titanfall 3.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't send a game out to die by paying for co-branding deals with Target, Mountain Dew, Doritos, and Buffalo Wild Wings.

EA honestly believed their game could take down CoD, because Infinite Warfare was shaping up to underwhelm and Titanfall 2 is a phenomenal game. They just wrongfully assumed it could hold water against Battlefield 1, and the continuing storm of interest in Overwatch.

Instead it flopped at release. Fortunately Respawn treated the game well for months to come, and it had a devoted fanbase that kept it ticking longer than most AAA multiplayer shooters.

This.

There is WAY too much armchair analysis on this forum.