• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
"You better hope Titanfall 3 sells well, or you can kiss Respawn's Star Wars game goodbye."

I hope EA doesn't send it to die next time.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
TF2's campaign was so awesome, among the best shooter ones of the past few years.

I really hope Respawn can continue to make the games they want

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I forgot the full quote but that interview with the Titanfall developer and the PR guy from EA where the interviewer asks something like "So what can we expect for the future of this franchise?" or maybe it was directly addressing the whole launch window timing like "Why release this game so close to Battlefield 1?". Either way the developer gave the most passive aggressive response like "Ask the PR guy". Fantastic.

Oct 30, 2017
Titanfall 2 is the sci-fi shooter I imagined shooters could be someday. Fast movement, cool guns, giant fucking mechs, all seamless and balanced on the same battlefield.

Someday we'll get amazing environment destruction too. ...Someday.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Would have sold better if they didn't sandwich the game between Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty. What a fuck up that was.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Hope a 3rd game happens.

The multiplayer in 2 was a pretty big step down from the first game though, so hopefully they learn from those mistakes.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Respawn

giphyijjeg.gif

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You don't send a game out to die by paying for co-branding deals with Target, Mountain Dew, Doritos, and Buffalo Wild Wings.

EA honestly believed their game could take down CoD, because Infinite Warfare was shaping up to underwhelm and Titanfall 2 is a phenomenal game. They just wrongfully assumed it could hold water against Battlefield 1, and the continuing storm of interest in Overwatch.

Instead it flopped at release. Fortunately Respawn treated the game well for months to come, and it had a devoted fanbase that kept it ticking longer than most AAA multiplayer shooters.

I do believe this is well. I think that they thought Titanfall could overtake CoD. That's fine. But with Battlefield 1 as well from them there, they still fucked up. They didn't give it enough room to breathe, from their own games none the less, period. If it was just Titanfall vs. CoD it might have stood a chance, but it was Titanfall vs. BF1, CoD and Battlefront. As great as the game was, they expected far too much from it in that climate.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, its pretty well known that EA treated TF2 and BF1 like they were bombs to launch against COD release. Instead of, you know, each their own video game that needed room to breathe. Something had to give there, and unfortunately, it was the best game out of the bunch. Here's to TF3!

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I really dig Titanfall 2 and pray, and I mean I pray we will get Titanfall 3. and please don't toss loot boxes in there as well because the MP has been fun and I love the free coop mode they added

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I really dig Titanfall 2 and pray, and I mean I pray we will get Titanfall 3. and please don't toss loot boxes in there as well because the MP has been fun and I love the free coop mode they added

There are already lootboxes in TF2. They might tweak the model but I doubt it will be more egregious.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
If there is a sequel - and I really hope there is one - I am really worried about the potential single player part given the current climate :(

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they're not closing the studio?
They don't even own it or the Titanfall IP.

Hope that means that Titanfall 3 can live on. Next time don't stuff the game between two extremely big AAA shooters that take the mindshare away from it.
According to a credible leaker on r/titanfall, Titanfall is a thing.

They probably do, Respawn's community manager sorta indirectly confirmed TF3 in a reddit post, and according to leaker on r/titanfall, there are like three teams at Respawn, the Titanfall team (developing TF3), the Star Wars team, and a newly formed team made of original MoH's devs, supposedly the MoH reboot was cancelled by EA, I wouldn't be surprised if their upcoming VR game is reusing the cancelled title's assets.

The reddit post for those who are interested:
https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/62dkvn/titanfall3_in_production/

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
What's that's a nice little bump for the day, wonderful news! Hopefully that translates into another show of faith for the series, and a bit of a better plan next go around releasing the game. Something like this would thrive in the middle of the year, out of the way of the end of year juggernauts. If T2's campaign is the bar, can not wait to see what the team has planned for the threequel.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They said the samething about Mass Effect: Andromeda and refuse to even give it single player DLC all while putting the franchise on hold.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The hope for 3 lives on. I need it, and I need it bad, after that fucking AMAZING campaign.

Wish it sold 20 million copies, but that's life

With multiplayer that didn't completely everything they established in 1, they might have.

Titanfall 3 basically needs to be a campaign like 2, with the multiplayer of 1 (with sliding added).

THAT'S FUCKING ALL RESPAWN.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this on launch but it ended up getting drowned out by other releases and fell into my backlog. Got back into a few months ago and it is my go to shooter now, it feels so good to play this game well.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interpreting this as "we know we released it at a bad time but we wanted to attack Call of Duty".

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Mistake one: made it an exclusive. Mistake 2: give it the worst launch window, and then still expect mega sales. Game is worth it on all fronts. Rainbow six: Siege and Titanfall 2 deserved the sales of CoD and BF1.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought that EA wanted to buy Respawn outright so they basically weakened it to lower its value.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I picked Battlefield 1 over Titanfall 2. I made the wrong choice.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
With multiplayer that didn't completely everything they established in 1, they might have.

Titanfall 3 basically needs to be a campaign like 2, with the multiplayer of 1 (with sliding added).

THAT'S FUCKING ALL RESPAWN.
Yeah I agree, TF1's MP was much better than TF2s.

I put hundreds of hours in to the original Titanfall, and it's one of my favourite games of all time. I still play it to this day. Titanfall 2 just changed too much. I still put about 200 hours in to it, but still wouldn't say I really like the game. I played it because the population in Australia for TF1 is tiny, so TF2 was easier to find a match. I gave it away after about 3 months though and haven't gone back.

The move to "Hero" titans removed a lot of the customizability and balance from the game, same with the pilot classes and their abilities. The change to the Battery and Rodeo systems were equally as bad. Rodeo used to be like a game of cat and mouse, but now you literally just stand still if you get rodeo'd, then 180 and punch when they jump off and you get the kill. Replacing a fundamental gameplay mechanic with essentially a cutscene for the rodeo'er is a terrible change. The shield system is terrible now. I've killed titans in literally 2-3 seconds in TF2. In TF2 Titans are harder to earn and then much weaker when you do get them. Not to mention the fact that with Hero titans there is the very real possibility that you don't like any of them, leaving you with no titan you enjoy. I can't stand any of them except for Tone, so that greatly reduces replay value.

off topic - first post on Resetera!

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it on PC, Xbox One and PS4, and I would buy it again on Switch. Ive been playing first person shooters for decades, and this game is easily one of my favourites of all time.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
"We didn't entirely kill Titanfall 2 when we threw it to the wolves, so we're pretty stoked about that!"

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
As others have already said, they basically sent it out to die, using it only to take away whatever amount COD sales they could. That it sold well enough could be considered a great success, although I wonder how much they sold at full price.

Personally I liked the campaign (did not love it like most did) and only play the multiplayer anytime I want to play a shooter for 15-30 minutes, after that it gets stale for me.

I do hope they make another one.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I mean it is kinda their fault for the sale numbers. They released it between Battlefield and Call of Duty, what were they expecting? Who in their right mind would think a newish IP would be able to compete against two well established IPs?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's good to hear since it was one of my GOTYs, but expecting 7 millions was insane.
I'm sure it was profitable, but EA always had the issue of expecting their FPS to be COD competitors, if not killers.