• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

Electronic Arts and Valve have partnered to put EA games into the hands of the players on Steam. Starting next spring, EA Access—our ever-growing subscription service powered by great games and member benefits—will be making its way to Steam. EA Access is the first and only gaming subscription service available on Steam, and the fourth platform featuring an EA subscription.

The partnership kicks off with Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order launching on November 15—and available for pre-order today. In the coming months, players on Steam will also be able to play other major titles like The Sims™ 4 and Unravel Two. Multiplayer games—like Apex Legends™, FIFA 20, and Battlefield™ V—will become available next year, and players on both Origin and Steam will have the ability to play together.

A library of titles awaits you in The Vault, but beyond the games themselves, EA Access enhances your gaming experience with a medley of rewards. Get the red-carpet treatment with exclusive catalog-wide discounts, and in-game member benefits for some of our biggest franchises.

Keep an eye out for more news and updates on this partnership in the coming weeks and months!

UPDATE: For more information and clarification

"At the core, we are game makers, and our aspiration is to connect as many people as we can to the great games that we built and make it as frictionless as possible for them to do that," explained Mike Blank, senior vice president at EA. "So with more players playing more games and more platforms, frankly, we want to be where the players are." In EA's case, that means Steam.

Despite the fact that Steam and Origin are PC launchers that run on the same platform, EA is effectively treating the two storefronts as totally separate platforms. For example, if you've purchased EA games in the last eight years on Origin, there won't be any way to transfer those purchases to Steam — even if they're rereleased there.

That split also applies to EA Access on Steam, which is explicitly not the same thing as EA's Origin Access subscription service that it offers through Origin. As the name suggests, EA Access on Steam will apparently be similar to EA's console subscription services, as opposed to the larger catalog on Origin Access.

Last edited:

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously can't believe it. I don't play a lot of their titles, but I'm very happy to see it. I'll definitely pick up Titanfall 2 and maybe Mirror's Edge at some point. Can't believe Apex is going to be on Steam.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
source.gif

Cheaper EA games again?

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I'm ok because having more games on Steam it's good, but on the other hand I don't care so much considering I don't like EA games from...Dead Space 1?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
partnership makes it sound like its more than them just putting their games on the store hmm
They are also putting one of their Subscription Services (EA Access, which gives you access to EA games) in the store, which would be a first in Steam (if we forget about PC Cafe stuff).

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
This is esstentially equivalent to adding a non-steam game to your library. You still need to download and install the origin client. Main difference now is you can buy EA Access with steam wallet.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, EA comin' back to Steam in a big way.

partnership makes it sound like its more than them just putting their games on the store hmm

They'd have to be working with Valve on the back-end to make EA Access on Steam work. I'm not aware of any existing system within Steam to grant access to a library of games through a subscription like this.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they bring over a lot of their back catalogue. Would be really great to see resurgences for games like Dead Space 3 and Titanfall 2.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I barely bought any games on Origin I care about besides Battlefield and Mass Effect 3. Wonder if Apex will be coming to steam as well.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Does this include premiere? So I would be able to DL Fallen Order as part of Premiere on Steam? Sorry, they just mentioned Access.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is a very promising development for both EA and Valve. I really hope we're moving toward the end of Origin and that Origin licenses will be honored via Steam.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Apex legends and Star Wars Fallen Order on Steam, fuck yeah

I'll ignore EA access like I ignore everything subscription related but I'll happily buy the games individually

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
This is esstentially equivalent to adding a non-steam game to your library. You still need to download and install the origin client. Main difference now is you can buy EA Access with steam wallet.

It right in the OP that Steam and Origin players can play games together. It's not going to work the way you're thinking at all.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
This is a very promising development for both EA and Valve. I really hope we're moving toward the end of Origin and that Origin licenses will be honored via Steam.
Origin still needs to be installed according to SW: Fallen Order's store page. Which almost defeats the point to me. I guess it will make it easier to use Steam Remote Play with EA games though.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I need anymore games, but being able to pay for an EA Access subscription using Steam credit is nice.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
wonder if this includes premier subs or will that be origin exclusive still?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It right in the OP that Steam and Origin players can play games together. It's not going to work the way you're thinking at all.

No, he is right. Origin is even required for a single player game like Star Wars. They are going the Uplay route.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.....so are these games going to be region priced or kept as US prices.

because it doesn't seem that way with Jedi Fallen Order.