• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
This guy (SadlyItsBradly) has been datamining for other VR headsets including Meta Quest Pro and have had genuine details pretty early.
Now he has been able to obtain CAD designs for what is destined to become Quest 3. It's still an early prototype but like we've seen with his other finds, the design decisions usually stay more or less the same through to the final product.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq57TPTsBQQ
The YouTube page itself contains a nice index for the video.

Some details:
- Budget seems to have been focused on the Mixed Reality aspects as it has plenty of cameras in front for color pass-through. Two black/white cameras on the sides, two color+black/white camera pairs in front, one RealSense depth-sensor in front as well (but considering the depth-sensor was dropped from the Pro in the last few months before release, I wonder if it will ever show up in Quest 3).
- No eye-tracking! :/
- No face-tracking.
- Pancake lenses for thinner design is nice.
- Qualcomm XR2 Gen 2 chipset, ~2x the GPU performance of the Quest 2. The Quest Pro uses 'Gen 1.5' but we don't know how they compare performance wise, the Quest Pro has two fans (vs one for Quest 3) which potentially indicates higher clocks (edit: Pro confirmed 50% more performance than Quest 2). The Quest Pro can obviously lean on eye-tracking/foveated rendering.
- Reporter is speculating about LCD screens being used but no confirmation on this.
- Seems to have same facehugger straps as current Quest 2 (while Quest Pro seems to lean more towards crown design). This also means battery weight is on the front.
- Release to be later in 2023.

AL9nZEVEeljiISmIrimhVrix8ds2ebjhYqFL5wy0sBQS245goxC7jg-E5w9VK5Ao_RAD0Se1tnEt1CSct6krE1j8tsyUwnW2yvknPDDhi7SlKd6edpyV-egFNzbrNu9gzrNJZosTV119TLr3Qe4EYqqcufLCSQ=w1000-h530-no

AL9nZEXKy1MQsq4j02GKt26yu5H2jd2HYoX9gQi-v8uFaK2vykzG0IIYxsUC-9UgOs6aDlDyzR8XF6hDMv-lMZGW2fIZV_4nUASNXQqXvOZ-LGFv11w9a4KvJK3JHNgVcHoKtS2yEglQ4WQbkDeM2QXbljVl6w=w1000-h526-no

AL9nZEUMAtzFlDiAAovEAN-y1dzv5-vo988au-DAQE9FKve4bytCYeOnukeO7qD4smeRx0JTrOsWhF4Shu5KWPtnclQ8Hufit5v1fzcCGBePAMnY7pBcFuailnrk6sdZFwyDuHX_eUc34UCxUUA1Y4EX19nWHQ=w1000-h591-no

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Pancake lenses is great. No eye tracking is disappointing, hope he's wrong on that

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Facehugging sucks ass. Does Meta get bribes from aliexpress vendors or something. Why do they persist with torpedoing their own ergonomics.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
the design seems like a reasonable upgrade over the 2 and somewhat close to the design language hinted at with the Pro.
Unless Valve releases a new VR device within the next year or two (and/or makes there way into the wireless VR market). This will probably be my next one as the Pro is a bit out of my price range for a VR device Although if the PSVR2 can easily get hooked up to PC I might consider that as well.

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
The facehugger strap design is so unnecessary. Sure, you can squish the fabric straps together and cram the headset into your purse for ultimate portability but it comes at an enormous cost for comfort. People who play Beat Saber in fifteen minute stints and pass it around aren't greatly affected but it's a huge pain for people who play more involved games like i.e. The Room VR, MMO's or Half-Life: Alyx etc.

The Elite straps for Quest 2 didn't alleviate the problem much either (personally I had to customize my headset with HTC Deluxe Audio straps) but here's to hoping that they offer a proper crown-design based elite straps for the Quest 3.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The facehugger strap design is so unnecessary. Sure, you can squish the fabric straps together and cram the headset into your purse for ultimate portability but it comes at an enormous cost for comfort. People who play Beat Saber in fifteen minute stints and pass it around aren't greatly affected but it's a huge pain for people who play more involved games like i.e. The Room VR, MMO's or Half-Life: Alyx etc.

The Elite straps for Quest 2 didn't alleviate the problem much either (personally I had to customize my headset with HTC Deluxe Audio straps) but here's to hoping that they offer a proper crown-design based elite straps for the Quest 3.
you can switch the strap

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Added the details that it will be powered by a Qualcomm XR2 gen 2, should give it 30% more performance than Quest 2.
Eye-tracking & face-tracking exclusion is partly due to high extra cost of having silicon/FPGA for handling the additional camera bandwidth.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017
Facehugging sucks ass. Does Meta get bribes from aliexpress vendors or something. Why do they persist with torpedoing their own ergonomics.
Probably has a lot to do with keeping the manufacturing cost down, less materials and less weight. They can then sell you the elite strap at an inflated price because the battery and ergonomics on the base unit suck. Of course this just results in a load of public perception that VR still hasn't moved beyond being an uncomfortable weird looking thing.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen the video yet, but I really, really hope this comes with an OLED screen or anything that may improve on the contrast of the Q2. If the headset is also lighter or they improve on the ergonomics that also makes this a very easy get for me.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I wonder how will it stack up to PSVR2, I'm looking quite forward to that one. In the meanwhile, I enjoy my quest 2 a lot so I might just trade up once this comes out.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Misread the title (my tired ass just woke up) and thought it said something about ''Prototype 3 leaks'' and I'm like WHAT?!

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No eye tracking would indeed be a big disappointment. Especially a standalone headset with limited processing power (compared to PC/PS5) would benefit a lot from having it.

I can understand them sticking with the cloth-strap, it's light, cheap, and it also is way less intimidating to casual users - at least from the anecdotal evidence I can provide. And you can always upgrade if you want to.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
No eye tracking would indeed be a big disappointment. Especially a standalone headset with limited processing power (compared to PC/PS5) would benefit a lot from having it.
The Unity video showed that real world performance benefit of eye-tracked foveated rendering vs fixed foveated-rendering (which the Quest already has) is about 1ms.

Now that's a very limited sample and it's going to vary per game but it's not (publicly) providing the speculated performance gains vs existing techniques. The real benefit appears to the clarity as the rendering sweet spot follows where you're looking (assuming the lenses don't have a fixed sweet spot and have good clarity all over them).

I think it's a real shame if their next consumer focussed headset launches without eye tracking but they may be weighing up the cost of implementation (both component, battery usage and CPU cost) vs a relatively small performance boost. The social aspects and things like assisting the users aim based on where they're looking feel like really nice things to have.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The light form factor is nice but no eye or face tracking is a bummer but I get that would likely push it past the current Quest 2 pricing they'll likely still be wanting to go for.

No oled is sadface.

I really hope Valve's standalone has oled. Quest line could really use some competition.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
The big bet seems to be on the convergence between VR and AR as XR. I think that's quite the gamble. Without shoe-horning AR features perhaps this device could have had eye tracking and a battery in the back of the headset for better weight distribution. With Pico 4 in the market, probably the only two reasons to consider Quest 3 would be software and the XR2 Gen 2 (which we still know very little about). A chip upgrade would be THE reason to move to Quest 3.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just glad there are multiple players sticking it out with VR. It's still an emerging niche and I was worried that dev interest would fall away before the tech could really mature.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Can't watch the video yet but is there any mention around suspected FOV or larger view?

Been hoping the Quest Pro or Quest 3 would have higher than the 2 so we can mitigate the swimming/ski mask vibe a bit.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
No eye tracking/foveated rendering means that games will continue to look subpar on the Quest.
Quest 2 already has foveated rendering. What it doesn't have is eye-tracked foveated rendering which from the demos we've seen so far on PSVR2 has around a 1ms performance gain over fixed-foveated rendering in real-world scenarios (the empty sample scene showed a much higher gain for some reason which could mean there may be CPU/GPU limits preventing the same gains in actual games)

Red Matter 2 and Bonelab on Quest 2 are getting glowing comments about their graphics, I'm not sure being able to render ~1ms faster will produce significantly better graphics on a mobile chipset.

Now, it may be that the Unity demos were done on really early sample units where everything was super unoptimised and running badly but we're not publicly seeing a huge performance uplift over current rendering techniques like was theorised so far.

Edit: actually thinking about it, the Pro is similar enough to Quest 2 that we should be able to measure the impact eye-tracked foveated rendering has on Quest games. Roll on the 11th!

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Facehugging sucks ass.
it's like theyve learned nothing when it comes to comfort. Why do they keep doing this? the quest 2 basically has a higher price than MSRP due to the fact that you absolutely must buy your own halo straps to stop the headset from crushing your orbital bones after 20 mins.

IPD adjust wheel is a welcome addition at least.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
With no eye tracking, I feel like I'd rather pass on this one and get the Pro even if performance takes a little hit (assuming Quest 3 games are Pro compatible).

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Quest 2 already has foveated rendering. What it doesn't have is eye-tracked foveated rendering which from the demos we've seen so far on PSVR2 has around a 1ms performance gain over fixed-foveated rendering in real-world scenarios (the empty sample scene showed a much higher gain for some reason which could mean there may be CPU/GPU limits preventing the same gains in actual games)

Red Matter 2 and Bonelab on Quest 2 are getting glowing comments about their graphics, I'm not sure being able to render ~1ms faster will produce significantly better graphics on a mobile chipset.

Now, it may be that the Unity demos were done on really early sample units where everything was super unoptimised and running badly but we're not publicly seeing a huge performance uplift over current rendering techniques like was theorised so far.

Edit: actually thinking about it, the Pro is similar enough to Quest 2 that we should be able to measure the impact eye-tracked foveated rendering has on Quest games. Roll on the 11th!
Yeah, I should have clarified that it only has fixed foveated rendering. What I meant was the 30% performance/graphical increase combined with the lack of eye-tracked FR gains still puts it in the subpar category, visually speaking.

Red Matter 2 does look pretty good on the Quest 2 but I'm not surprised given that it's a fairly barren puzzle adventure. As for Bonelab, what I took away from one of the reviews I watched last night was that they were mostly in awe of how the devs made it work on a mobile chipset than the actual visuals on display. Similar to The Witcher 3 running on a Switch, I guess.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of eye-tracking, LCD, and only a 30% performance jump after so many years of Quest 2 seems like a miss. Apple is coming for VR/AR, and Meta has at best only a few years to establish themselves in the post-Apple VR market

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lack of eye-tracking, LCD, and only a 30% performance jump after so many years of Quest 2 seems like a miss. Apple is coming for VR/AR, and Meta has at best only a few years to establish themselves in the post-Apple VR market

Yes, Apple is coming in SUPER hot. It's going to be an iPhone moment all over again.

Can't wait for more deckard info, going to be much better than this

Yes, I can see a future I have 2 VR sets in my home. An Apple device for media consumption, AR, general use and productivity and a Deckard for straight up gaming.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the connection arms for the strap are the same as on the Quest 2 so that my Vive DAS adapters work out of the box. Not the hugest deal either way I guess because I'm sure there will be new 3D-printed versions that work within a week of it releasing, but I suspect that it might be the same just so they don't have to sell different variants of the official Elite Straps.

LCD instead of OLED would be crap though, and dependent on the screen resolutions it seems like the PSVR2 may end up technologically superior in terms of the display and headset itself (discounting the on-board mobile chipset) aside from the use of Fresnel lenses in the PSVR2.

Do pancake lenses have the same godray issues as Fresnel (because of the "stairstep" way Fresnels do the optics)? Honestly, the use of Fresnel in PSVR2 puts me off completely since I'm very sensitive to the godrays in my Q2. If the pancakes eliminate that issue that would be great.

Oct 27, 2017
they will never be relevant! you cant do it, nobody can!

i'm kind of tempted to play with them again, maybe blender made them fun to use sometime in the last decade

Looks like Siemens NX being used here, probably in one of the latter validation phases where the MEs/PDs are working iteratively (and therefore parametrically).

NURBS, when used, often doesn't make it past early industrial design stages.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Are the rumours for Deckard that it'll be standalone and PCVR capable like Quest?

I might just wait for that too if so.

It would have to be standalone. Otherwise it would just be an Index.

There is also rumors that they actually dropped it. It's not totally inconceivable. Look at the money being put into vr development by the other companies. Look at the salaries Meta, Bytedance, and Apple use to attract the skilled engineers.

Valve… is simply too small to compete. It would not surprise me that they have dropped out of that race.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Putting the USB C connection there seems like an unnecessarily complex choice. Everything else seems what you'd have expected from a Quest 2 refresh.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
As a Quest 2 owner... that strap headband is absolutely terrible. It's practically unusable, I was only able to use the device comfortably for maybe 20-30 minutes before it was too much. I've since upgraded to a proper elite type strap with counterweight battery and can use the thing for hours now.
It's honestly pretty outrageous and makes the prices artificially lower, because anyone who plans on using it much at all will be upgrading it.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It would have to be standalone. Otherwise it would just be an Index.

I guess my question is more about it being a standalone headset that has PC VR capabilities, rather than the other way around, as I know enough folks enjoy the freedom of the Quest as a dedicated headset - whereas I use mine much more for PCVR as a cheaper alternative to getting something like an Index.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Meta's biggest strengths right now are the fact that it's standalone/all-in-1, it has decent library support, and price. Considering the rumors around the cost of Apple's VR headset and the fact that it likely won't focus on games much, I don't know if they have anything to worry about for a while. Maybe by the time Apple reaches Gen2 but I could see Apple focusing on the higher end of the market in perpetuity like they do with all their hardware which still leaves a market for Meta.

I guess my question is more about it being a standalone headset that has PC VR capabilities, rather than the other way around, as I know enough folks enjoy the freedom of the Quest as a dedicated headset - whereas I use mine much more for PCVR as a cheaper alternative to getting something like an Index.
I don't see any reason why Valve would release Deckard without PCVR capability.