• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 889

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Will buy it immediately FOR THE CAUSE. EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is SO bought. Stupid, stupid fun. Price is a bit high for sure, but after playing 4.1 so much I've been eagerly waiting for this.

Purchased!

Why are Japanese devs so awful at supporting unlocked frame rates and ultrawide monitors?

Can you elaborate on this at all? At work and won't be able to play until late evening but it would be a bummer if you can't enable a high refresh rate.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The stuttering is tied to the UI, it's the same as in 4.1
There it helped to go into windowed mode or borderless fullscreen This time tho there is not even a borderless fullscreen option.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Finished the first 5 missions. I'm currently liking most of the changes to Wing Diver so far, particularly the dash which really helps in changing directions. I don't know how fond I am of some weapons doing less damage depending on how much charge you have left. The damage reduction gets pretty bad such that almost half of your charge is effectively useless, forcing you to reload pretty early. So far, though, I'm really enjoying some more cheesy, campy EDF! The dialogue has been, in my opinion, hilarious so far!

"If you don't fight, you will become their food."
"I hear reports that places all over the world are being attacked!" - "Aww, I was planning on travelling next month."

Nov 28, 2017
these games are only worthwhile to me if you can grab a trainer/cheat engine, give yourself infinite health/ammo and absolutely massacre shit.

i got a nuke-like weapon in 4.1, turned on rapid fire and infinite ammo and was able to make the framerate go around 5fps

Oct 27, 2017
C
Finished the first 5 missions. I'm currently liking most of the changes to Wing Diver so far, particularly the dash which really helps in changing directions. I don't know how fond I am of some weapons doing less damage depending on how much charge you have left. The damage reduction gets pretty bad such that almost half of your charge is effectively useless, forcing you to reload pretty early. So far, though, I'm really enjoying some more cheesy, campy EDF! The dialogue has been, in my opinion, hilarious so far!

"If you don't fight, you will become their food."
"I hear reports that places all over the world are being attacked!" - "Aww, I was planning on travelling next month."
Well, the damage fall off with wing diver is actually a pretty clever game mechanic, because you basically have to cancel your shots and instantly charge again. I've reassigned reload for WD to R3 so I can reload/cancel shots while flying/dodging/ charging shots.
EDF5's Wing Diver and Fencer have more in common with character action games now than with most shooters.

This game has a lot of small nuances to the gameplay. Don't be fooled by the "stupid fun"-sticker - it's one of the most original shooters out there when it comes to the actual shooting.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hope the game has real controller support. I bought 4 last year when it was on sale, but haven't played more than the first few levels because its controller support is terrible.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
So is it a better port than the last? Is kb&m not shit now or?
I mean, I didn't have a problem with the controls or performance in 4.1. They seemed perfectly fine. I'm not having any issues with 5 so far either.
I played 4.1 with a Core i5-4600K, GTX 1070, 8 GB RAM. I recently upgraded to a Core i9-9700K and 16 GB RAM and playing 5 on that (upgraded mostly for photo editing).

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
I don't like grinding and one of the reasons I think this is poorer, is due to them focusing more on grinding. You gain weapons and health from failing missions, which means a completion will happen eventually, whether or not you learn the game and improve your skill. It's not as terrible as something like Rogue Legacy, but I would still consider it poor design. The same goes for not letting you select harder difficulty levels on your first save playthrough. You're forced to do an easy (the upper half of the difficulties) completion first, before being able to dip in and out of levels on hardest or inferno, perhaps getting away with a nice weapon drop or just choosing to challenge yourself. Again, if fits very well with the grinding philosophy, but if you like challenge, it's annoying being forced to play something for hours where it's difficult to fail.

I don't do grinding in EDF and think grinding is one of the biggest mistakes/failures in modern game design - though I concede in very rare cases it can be done well - so seeing one of my favorite series making it mandatory, forcing me to waste time or rewarding me for failure, is disappointing.

It has the most content of any game in the series, but I also think it's affected the quality. There's a few too many throwaway missions, where the idea or concept defining the mission structure, seems to be lacking. I also liked some smaller details around how the character's control in 4.1 and preferred the metallic aesthetic of that game (including enemies), but that's minor complaints compared to the other stuff.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a really good game and better than practically every AAA shooting focused game, you could mention. I just think 4.1 was better and that the flaws in that should have been fixed in different ways, instead of the direction 5 went in.

Thanks for this post. I agree, and this is enough to warn me off of getting EDF5. Not being able to choose my own difficulty to ramp progression, and to challenge myself to difficult set-piece battles, is enough of a deterrent for me.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this post. I agree, and this is enough to warn me off of getting EDF5. Not being able to choose my own difficulty to ramp progression, and to challenge myself to difficult set-piece battles, is enough of a deterrent for me.

I really didn't intent that. It's a great game, I love the shit out of it and the series. There's just some things - that might seem bigger here, when we go into detail about them, than they're meant - which I preferred in the previous games, but most people wouldn't agree with me.

If you like EDF it's still absolutely unmissable.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
I play EDF mainly in Solo and Local/LAN 2p, so I'm not as big into it as the people who just play online with groups. I'm willing to pass over mandatory grind of difficulties I barely touched in 4.1.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I play EDF mainly in Solo and Local/LAN 2p, so I'm not as big into it as the people who just play online with groups. I'm willing to pass over mandatory grind of difficulties I barely touched in 4.1.
I think it should be possible to hack the game to bypass that initial limitation. I've met several of players online on the PS4 version that had hacked the game (100% completion from the start, all weapons unlocked and maxed out, 1 million(!) health points), so i'd assume that it would be possible to change other values as well, like changing the value that tells you that you've already beaten the game on easy, normal or hard. Might be even easier on PC since thats an open platform. Personally, i have no hacking skills at all, but it might be something that someone could figure out :)

Otherwise, as i mentioned in a previous post, i think Sandlot should just let people choose their difficulty level from the start in future EDF titles. Maybe they could also bring back the "hidden" difficulty level that EDF 2 had (at least on Vita). I dont remember what its called (anyone remembers?), but its harder than Inferno.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't more mandatory grinding than any other EDF. No, you can't choose Inferno from the get go, but that doesn't make a playthrough of Hard mandatory grinding.

Personally, I don't see how anyone can play through any EDF without any grinding whatsoever. Inferno is hard even with health farming. I can't imagine it being fun being constantly one-shotted.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't more mandatory grinding than any other EDF. No, you can't choose Inferno from the get go, but that doesn't make a playthrough of Hard mandatory grinding.

Personally, I don't see how anyone can play through any EDF without any grinding whatsoever. Inferno is hard even with health farming. I can't imagine it being fun being constantly one-shotted.
To my surpise, it does actually seem possible to beat inferno without any health farming. Bede-x posted a few videos earlier where he/she beats missions like 107 (which is one of the hardest levels in the game) on inferno in split-screen with only two people. Its pretty amazing :) I also didnt think it was possible, especially levels like 107 and 110.

I do think that like 99.9% of all EDF players need to grind for extra health to be able to beat inferno however. Certaintly i need to do that hehe.

Last edited:

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
I find it fun to do low-HP Inferno grinding. Any significant enemy can 1-shot you, and even the small chaff can kill you. Once you're pushing 2000+ HP, a lot of that tension goes away. Forcing a playthrough on Hard first dulls the experience, because now I'm aware of what spawns in every mission and I've got a decent HP buffer to boot.

I can't speak to EDF 5, but in 4.1 I was messing with Inferno clears by mission #40 or so in 2p Co-Op. It took focused builds and a plan, but it was extremely fun.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I find it fun to do low-HP Inferno grinding. Any significant enemy can 1-shot you, and even the small chaff can kill you. Once you're pushing 2000+ HP, a lot of that tension goes away. Forcing a playthrough on Hard first dulls the experience, because now I'm aware of what spawns in every mission and I've got a decent HP buffer to boot.

I can't speak to EDF 5, but in 4.1 I was messing with Inferno clears by mission #40 or so in 2p Co-Op. It took focused builds and a plan, but it was extremely fun.
After you beat easy, normal and hard in EDF5, its possible to start a new save file and start from scratch. Then you can go fresh into the game and start on inferno with 200 health and no weapon unlocks. This doesnt change what you say about knowning all the mission etc. though, but at least it allows you to play inferno from the start without any HP buffer :)

EDIT: Ment to tag Bede-x in my previous post, not this one.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Considering we are talking about thousands of enemies in each level that sounds incredibly tiring.

Oct 27, 2017
The average unexperienced player won't be able to beat Hardest let alone Inferno with low HP.
Also: Hardest and Inferno spawn different enemy types on most missiosn and there are some slightly altered missions , so there are still surprises left after completing the lower difficulties.
For most low hp people the moment they meet gold ants for the first time will be followed by an instant "mission failed" screen.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
What was the problem with kb&m? I played the entirety of 4.1 that way and had no issues. In fact, I can't really see myself ever playing with a controller given the amount of quick aiming and long-distance sniper shots you typically do in those games.
Idk maybe it was the way recoil works. Usually recoil on console and pc is different and I don't think they bothered to alter it for kbm so I feel like I'm struggling with my mouse.

Oct 27, 2017
What was the problem with kb&m? I played the entirety of 4.1 that way and had no issues. In fact, I can't really see myself ever playing with a controller given the amount of quick aiming and long-distance sniper shots you typically do in those games.
I haven't played an EDF game on PC yet, but I honestly don't know how they could handle Fencer's laggy aiming with kb/m.
It would kill the balancing if his big weapons have the same weightless aiming like a Ranger rifle.
Fencer and Wing Diver also sound like a nightmare on kb to me. All the benefits from mouse-aiming are diminished by having to WASD + having to press and hold at least another key the whole time. It can be uncomfortable on controller as well when dashing with Fencer while holding a shield up and shooting after each dash, but with a kb?...nope, not for me.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played an EDF game on PC yet, but I honestly don't know how they could handle Fencer's laggy aiming with kb/m.
It would kill the balancing if his big weapons have the same weightless aiming like a Ranger rifle.
Fencer and Wing Diver also sound like a nightmare on kb to me. All the benefits from mouse-aiming are diminished by having to WASD + having to press and hold at least another key the whole time. It can be uncomfortable on controller as well when dashing with Fencer while holding a shield up and shooting after each dash, but with a kb?...nope, not for me.

Ah, I see. Fencer might be a problem. I haven't really played it, seemed a bit too technical for big dumb me :D. I'll tell you how that plays if I get around to giving it a shot. Which is much more likely in EDF 5 because of all the loot you pick up for other classes.

Never had any trouble with Ranger or even Wing Diver though. But then, 4.1 was my very first EDF, so kb&m is all I've ever known. It's the 'normal' control setting as far as I'm concerned. Plus I've never been all that bothered by digital/d-pad-like controls in 3D games in general.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Really hope 6 adds join in progress, always a process when one or two people leave where you wait for 5 minutes and finally start the mission only for people to then join. Then have to back out or they leave and so on. Just clunky.

Still fucking love the chat system and incredible amount of options. Need to remove the text limitation for custom messages tho.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Game is great and port is great but...

...How the hell do you decide to change the EDF Song?!?!?!

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno the m/kb controls seemed fine for me with wing diver and ranger. Not tried much of the other two yet.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Price is a little high off steam gonna shop around and see if I can get it for around £25.

Dec 23, 2017
So after playing EDF5 for awhile, I think I prefer 4.1 in terms of dialogue. I don't like the EDF5 songs either, they were more fun and catchy in 4.1

Other than that, the frogs are fun to shoot at. Can't wait to see what other new enemies they have.

Also found the class balancing pretty interesting. I wasn't expecting Ranger to be able to call in vehicles like Air Raider. I can't seem to do dash canceling with fencer, wonder if they removed it.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So after playing EDF5 for awhile, I think I prefer 4.1 in terms of dialogue. I don't like the EDF5 songs either, they were more fun and catchy in 4.1
After 500 hours I finally started to like that song, but you're right, 4.1's is much much better.

Man, any mission with tons of frogs can go to hell.
With tons of what? I played the hell out of that game and I only saw creatures that look exactly like humans.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
What are the best general all purpose weapons for WD? I've reached mission 50 on normal.
If you have a Stardust Cannon (medium range pulse) you should use it pretty much always. I like the Monster snipers rather than the beam or lightning snipers. There's also a level 15 (I think) plasma launcher that is insanely overpowered and is viable all the way to inferno.

WD feels awkward compared to 4.1, until you have the right weapons.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
If you have a Stardust Cannon (medium range pulse) you should use it pretty much always. I like the Monster snipers rather than the beam or lightning snipers. There's also a level 15 (I think) plasma launcher that is insanely overpowered and is viable all the way to inferno.

WD feels awkward compared to 4.1, until you have the right weapons.
I've been using Destroyer Blaster 2 and Plasma Big Cannon M2. Dunno which mission drops Stardust Cannon.