• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I1yBM3V.png

bwi2IHd.jpg

CuRf3hm.jpg

sPKEpqT.jpg

2bkzTPZ.jpg

Reviews
OpenCritic 75 | Metacritic 72

ResetEra Review Thread by Loudninja

IGN- 8.3 | Even with dated graphics, EDF 5 is an energetic essay on action game design that is way too much fun to miss – especially with friends.
Gamespot- 8 | Its huge battles are a joy to watch play out both from up close and afar, and the wide variety of weapons and play styles with each player type offers plenty of reason to come back for more after the final bullet has been fired
GameInformer- 7 | This series has always had a single-minded commitment to one simple truth: It's fun to use weird weapons to blast lots of aliens.

FAQ New Players
  • Why EDF?
    • EDF is made in the vain of older games that prioritize fun. It boast a massive content selection that can be fully played offline either single player or split-screen as well as online with four other players.
  • Whats up with the graphics?
    • Instead of really detailed beautiful environments, the game uses the power of the systems to crank up the enemy count making each battle a crazy fight. Ever wonder what it was like to have hundreds of giant ants, spiders and robots swarming you? Now you can find out.
  • Is there previous games I can checkout if I am unsure? (YES!)
    • EDF 4.1 - PS4 and PC
    • EDF 2 & EDF 2017 VITA
    • EDF Insect Armageddon(PLAY THE OTHER TITLES), 2025 & 2017 available on PS3 & Xbox 360
FAQ Existing Players
  • Weapon pickups now give weapons for all the classes rather than the one you
    are currently using. Priority is given to the class you are currently using.
  • Picking up a duplicate weapon has a chance of increasing the weapon's
    capabilities such as increasing its ammo, damage, rate of fire, range, etc.
  • Armor pickups apply to all classes rather than just the one you are currently
    using. However, the armor gain is not equalized as only the class you are
    currently using will obtain the full armor value.
  • You will keep a certain percentage of armor and weapons picked up even if
    you failed the mission. The percentage is as follows: Easy 100%, Normal 75%,
    Hard 50%, Hardest 25%, Inferno 0%.

1. Post images from developers website
  2. Post info from developers website and theEarthDefenseForce wiki and Gamefaq by BNii
  3. issues viewing images in thread? Noticed ResetEra 2.0 caused issues on mobile for images to load. Fix I found was switch light/dark mode around then switch back to preffered method of viewing fixed issue
Any suggestions/changes for OT? Shoot me a message!

Last edited:

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
waiting on my Asia English import to ship.

one of the first games I ever imported was EDF2, so it's apropos I guess

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is digital-only in the west, right?

Also it sounds like that "2 missions pack" really means 2 missions? I.e. not two mission packs but two individual levels?

Last edited:

CadisRai

Oct 27, 2017
Surely they will release this on PC, EDF 4.1 was great on PC, and did well for the series on PC, can't see them not releasing on it again.
Though they might want some people to double dip I guess.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Surely they will release this on PC, EDF 4.1 was great on PC, and did well for the series on PC, can't see them not releasing on it again.
Though they might want some people to double dip I guess.
I don't know, with how long it took to just get a western release at all I wouldn't take anything for granted.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it finally came out but I'll have to wait for the PC version because I'm not willing to subscribe to PS+ for the online. I see no reason why this won't eventually hit PC.

OP
OP
Bosh

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I'm showing it unlocks at 12Am EST / 9 PM PST for US PSN. Not sure on Europe.

It's the final tweleve and a half hours!

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Already preordered and preloaded. It's a bit annoying that the theme is time-locked too, but it's ok I guess. Hopefully I'll be able to complete these mission packs with my friends this time.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Couple things to keep in mind.

Offline/online mission progression is separate, so pick one to focus on early on. Armor and weapons obviously carry over between the two.

Online co-op will boost enemy HP by a significant factor (damage too, I think?). However, split-screen co-op will not. Keep that in mind if your weapons aren't strong enough.

Online has weapon level limits that are super low. You have to finish the final mission for the limiter to get removed.

Wing Diver is 💯

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Woah woah woah woah, this is coming out already? I haven't heard a damn peep about it. I saw someone mention an Asian import, is this one of those games that doesn't have an official release yet but the English translated Asian import is out so people are talking about it?

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I remember pulling an all-nighter with one of these on the X360 years ago, playing couch co-op. Must have gotten through 80+ levels. Hilarious and really fun game in co-op. Not sure I'd ever play it single player. I remember it being cheaper than other games at launch too, I'm sure it was £29.99. Looks like they're going out at a more premium price point now?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They'll be big packs. See previous titles.
The first DLC pack for EDF4 was 5 levels, I'm worried that "2 missions pack" means a pack containing two levels. The store description doesn't mention a season pass in my language... Though since the deluxe is 50% more expensive I think I'll just go with the standard 50€ for now.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my goodness, I didn't know this was coming out so soon. Does anybody know if they fixed the stupid local co-op decision that the second player can't use their own account and earn trophies?

Oct 27, 2017
6 hours to go guys. I'm ready for the Gotg!!! IGN gave it a 8.3 which translates into 11.6 for people who know how to play it.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first DLC pack for EDF4 was 5 levels, I'm worried that "2 missions pack" means a pack containing two levels. The store description doesn't mention a season pass in my language... Though since the deluxe is 50% more expensive I think I'll just go with the standard 50€ for now.

Its been ages since I played EDF4 but steam description is 26 levels, not 5. You couldnt charge 11.99 for 5 levels.

Prepare to challenge 26 of the most intense missions the EDF has ever faced! Some of these missions come from Earth Defense Force 2025, some are brand-new, but they all have one thing in common: They're really, really, REALLY hard. Can you survive the Time of the Mutants?

OP
OP
Bosh

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Well done thread title, OP.
LMAO I somehow managed to overlook it. Yes, bravo, OP!

Thank you! First OT so figured I would give it a shot.

Looks like I'm getting myself an early Christmas present!
Its an easy 50-60 hours for one run, and nobody ever just plays one run in EDF :)

6 hours to go guys. I'm ready for the Gotg!!! IGN gave it a 8.3 which translates into 11.6 for people who know how to play it.
8.3 is honestly insane, especially when comparing to 4.1 which averaged around 64ish overall and was a gem of a game.

You can always wait, from what I understand if you join a lobby or your friends have the DLC you can play the levels (You just cant earn DLC weapons)

That was a test to see if anyone actually reads the OT, crossing that bad boy off now

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couple things to keep in mind.

Offline/online mission progression is separate, so pick one to focus on early on. Armor and weapons obviously carry over between the two.

Online co-op will boost enemy HP by a significant factor (damage too, I think?). However, split-screen co-op will not. Keep that in mind if your weapons aren't strong enough.

Online has weapon level limits that are super low. You have to finish the final mission for the limiter to get removed.

Wing Diver is 💯

The online/offline thing is serious bullshit, but all you need to do is take your online character into an inferno lobby. let the other people finish it, and grab the loot. Plenty of people will help, I used to run Inferno farming lobbies to get top tier drops for new players. Hopefully still the same.

Oct 27, 2017
8.3 is honestly insane, especially when comparing to 4.1 which averaged around 64ish overall and was a gem of a game.

Judging by the footage in that review the reviewer played mainly as Ranger and probably only did one playthrough. So yeah, even this guy would easily add 0.7 if he knew what this game has to offer beyond that. This reminds me of playing 4.1 for the first time thinking "Meh, Fencer is kinda slow and boring". Boi, was I wrong.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Its been ages since I played EDF4 but steam description is 26 levels, not 5. You couldnt charge 11.99 for 5 levels.

Prepare to challenge 26 of the most intense missions the EDF has ever faced! Some of these missions come from Earth Defense Force 2025, some are brand-new, but they all have one thing in common: They're really, really, REALLY hard. Can you survive the Time of the Mutants?
That's 4.1, I mean 4/2025

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it im going in. Of course cdkeys discount page is down, so im waiting to buy their credit to offset the ridiculous digital price. What time do UK games unlock? Cos its past midnight and still pre order.

OP
OP
Bosh

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
First 10 levels down in hard. EDF is love, EDF is life. See you tired eyes in a few hours work

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've managed to play for a bit last night...the moment I've tried out Wingdiver for the first time and used the laser bike for Ranger/Air Raider this game was instantly Goty, sorry Gow, RDR2, Spidey.... EDF's improvement over EDF 4.1 sound minor on paper, but they become huuuge the moment you start playing. The gore alone justifies the sequel. This will without a doubt end up being one of the most fun games I've ever player. After work I will play the first co-op online session with my nephew...really hope this game cures his Fortnitetitis for a while.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man, this game sure has a slooooooow start. Who thought that EDF needed a tutorial?

Also hard to see due to the harsh lighting in the game but do Pure Decoys show their health by having the girl's clothes disintegrate? Sheesh. Shame you can't launch them like limpets anymore, I hear they were pretty funny when attached to a hector's arm gun where it just couldn't aim and freaked out.

Air Raider seems more in line with EDF2V than 4.1 with gunship airstrikes recharging based on time rather than kills and most kill based attacks vastly cheaper, also vehicles have stupidly high request costs. The gold Nix that you get for preordering costs more to deploy than the friggin' Proteus did in 4.1 and that thing could wipe out entire attack waves in seconds even if underleveled. So now my main weapon is the machine gun airstrike.

How do weapon upgrades work, do you have to find a certain number of a weapon for it to upgrade or are they randomly better?

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My partner and I are EDF die hards, we stayed up and played the first few levels last night with our usual Wing Diver/ Ranger combo. I'm loving that the drops distribute across all classes-- it makes the idea of messing around with Air Raider or Fencer more appealing.

And wait, what's this about online progress not carrying over to local? That's a bummer as I used to go and farm Inferno levels online to score goodies for us to use locally.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
My partner and I are EDF die hards, we stayed up and played the first few levels last night with our usual Wing Diver/ Ranger combo. I'm loving that the drops distribute across all classes-- it makes the idea of messing around with Air Raider or Fencer more appealing.

And wait, what's this about online progress not carrying over to local? That's a bummer as I used to go and farm Inferno levels online to score goodies for us to use locally.
I think it's as before in that your gear carries over but not the missions you've unlocked.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this game sure has a slooooooow start. Who thought that EDF needed a tutorial?

Also hard to see due to the harsh lighting in the game but do Pure Decoys show their health by having the girl's clothes disintegrate? Sheesh. Shame you can't launch them like limpets anymore, I hear they were pretty funny when attached to a hector's arm gun where it just couldn't aim and freaked out.

Air Raider seems more in line with EDF2V than 4.1 with gunship airstrikes recharging based on time rather than kills and most kill based attacks vastly cheaper, also vehicles have stupidly high request costs. The gold Nix that you get for preordering costs more to deploy than the friggin' Proteus did in 4.1 and that thing could wipe out entire attack waves in seconds even if underleveled. So now my main weapon is the machine gun airstrike.

How do weapon upgrades work, do you have to find a certain number of a weapon for it to upgrade or are they randomly better?

That's what I thought: finding the same weapon you've already obtained, increases one of the stats (see stars). A weapon with 8 stars can be upraded eight times, I guess.

Yeah, it works just like in EDF 4.1. I've played online for an hour and I had all the armor and weapons from single player available. So I guess it works both ways. But mission progress is still separated: being on mission 5 in online means you still have to start at mission 1 in single player.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That's what I thought: finding the same weapon you've already obtained, increases one of the stats (see stars). A weapon with 8 stars can be upraded eight times, I guess.
The stars look more like strength ratings to me. Weapons can increase a lot of stats at once (e.g. the Dexter shotgun got boosts to almost every stat when I got its first upgrade) and their star rating goes up with the upgrades.

Oct 27, 2017
The stars look more like strength ratings to me. Weapons can increase a lot of stats at once (e.g. the Dexter shotgun got boosts to almost every stat when I got its first upgrade) and their star rating goes up with the upgrades.
I think a full star means that the according stat is fully upgraded/ maxed out...the rest I'm not sure. But there's certainly a limit to the uprading.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT !

Got the game preloaded and my PS4 and my GF'S PS4 we are going to play this tonight

Checked some gameplay on YT I have not seen anyone destroying buildings please tell me it's still in the game?

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding weapon upgrading, basically each weapon you find has a numbered star rating randomly tied to each stat which provides a boost to that particular stat. 1 being the lowest and going up from there (highest value seems to vary depending on the weapon). If you find a weapon you have already discovered the game will compare the star ratings of the two weapons and if any of the ratings on the new weapon are better then one in your current one it will rip these component out and replace them in your current weapon. If you keep finding the same gun then eventually it will become a super hybrid of all the best stats of the versions of that weapon you found, although it might be completely random as to how long that takes you. At least that is how I understand it give how it is worded in the ingame tutorial and looking up guides for the Japanese version of the game, may not be 100% right but I think I am at least 80%.

Also yeah, destroying buildings is totally still in the game.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i've played 3 previous EDF games. they were fun in co-op, but after seeing Iron Rain coming next year i think i'm waiting for that.
Iron Rain seems to have finally updated EDF graphics, and the whole vibe feels like a much needed refresh.