• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize this was already out! Do PlayStation Store orders still come with the preorder goodies, or has that ship sailed?

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Will buy the Deluxe Edition in the next hour :) Can't wait to see insane online players again. I played 4.1 online for hundreds of hours and there was one guy pulling me through almost every level on inferno difficulty. Often we all died early in some missions and he went on, doing it all alone by himself, while we were watching our dead character on screen for like 30 minutes, lol. Dude had millions of HP.

You need some good crowd control skills on the harder difficulties. I love it.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
While I don't think EDF needed a tutorial either, your handler's indifferent attitude to the growing chaos around you and the soldiers commentary in the first mission was amusing enough to warrant the inclusion.

I could only play the first two missions, as my son wants to co-op the entire game. He was already asleep when it released, and he'd kill me if I got more than a few levels in without him. I did like the ranger squad you ended up with - I kinda hope they're the same squad you're with for the rest of the game, just to keep the humor consistent.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap at that tutorial.

If I didn't know what an amazing game was waiting for me afterwords I would have shut the game off after 10 minutes and never played it again.

It may be the worst tutorial level I've ever played. Not only was it mind numbingly boring and ugly, but it was so fucking long. I literally fell asleep playing it last night.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Will buy the Deluxe Edition in the next hour :) Can't wait to see insane online players again. I played 4.1 online for hundreds of hours and there was one guy pulling me through almost every level on inferno difficulty. Often we all died early in some missions and he went on, doing it all alone by himself, while we were watching our dead character on screen for like 30 minutes, lol. Dude had millions of HP.

Just bought dlx version to support these guys and to host the dlc.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Is it ... is it me or does the game feel a bit slower ? I can't put my finger on it why but EDF 4.1 feels so much smoother even on the PS4pro. Also the beginning missions are just not that fun to play. Plus now we have limitations on how you cannot have the same weapon twice. Except on the Fencer, which is dissapointing for me cause I loved double bombing the shit out of things as an Air Raider. I played seven mission or eight, but it feels a bit lack luster for some reason. The voice acting is a bit meh, and the action at this point just feels a bit okayish. Will continue later. Still a fun videogame, but a few things feel off.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I haven't seen a single second of this game but enjoyed the one that came out later in the PS3's life cycle.

This OT title may have single handily sold me on the game so kudos to whoever thought of it.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't think EDF needed a tutorial either, your handler's indifferent attitude to the growing chaos around you and the soldiers commentary in the first mission was amusing enough to warrant the inclusion.

I could only play the first two missions, as my son wants to co-op the entire game. He was already asleep when it released, and he'd kill me if I got more than a few levels in without him. I did like the ranger squad you ended up with - I kinda hope they're the same squad you're with for the rest of the game, just to keep the humor consistent.

My son also wants to coop the whole game with me so I just created a separate save file for us while maintaining my own for my solo run which I will churn through late at night while he's asleep.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What does the UP mean after each level next to some weapons on the results screen? Also what do the stars and numbers mean? Some stars are filled and some aren't.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't this mulitplatform? All the old ones were
EDF 4 / 2025 was the only one that launched multiplatform. 1 was PS2 exclusive. 2 launched on the PS2 and later got ported to the PSP and Vita. 3 was 360 exclusive, and later got ported to the Vita. (Well, I suppose there was also Insect Armageddon, but that was from a western dev and doesn't count.)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely recommend remapping sprint from l3 to touchpad press. That way you can still steer the camera while sprinting, and not have to hold down l3 which is the worst.

I really wish there was a toggle option on sprint.

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely recommend remapping sprint from l3 to touchpad press. That way you can still steer the camera while sprinting, and not have to hold down l3 which is the worst.

I really wish there was a toggle option on sprint.
Why not sprint on R1 and zoom on L3 with weapon switch on L1? I've also remapped Wingdiver's evasion roll to R1.

Why isn't this mulitplatform? All the old ones were
No they weren't. I assume the titles on Xbox 360 weren't selling that well, otherwise
D3 would be leaving money on the table. Keep it mind that we got EDF5 one year later in the west, which shows how small Sandlot as a studio is.

Last edited:

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
What does the UP mean after each level next to some weapons on the results screen? Also what do the stars and numbers mean? Some stars are filled and some aren't.
if you find the same weapon again, there is a chance for this weapon to get better ( "up" a level ), every weapon can increase its stats, up to the max amount of stars in each stat.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
i've played 3 previous EDF games. they were fun in co-op, but after seeing Iron Rain coming next year i think i'm waiting for that.
Iron Rain seems to have finally updated EDF graphics, and the whole vibe feels like a much needed refresh.
Yeah they never should have showed footage of IR before launching 5. Big mistake. I'm also waiting.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Problem with Iron Rain- EDF5 is the best EDF ever made. If you liked any of the previous games then it's a must-play. I'll grant that Iron Rain looks pretty but it's a spin-off from the main series and the preview videos reflect that. I get why people will want that and honestly I'll happily play it too, but EDF5 is what made people love the series in the first place.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
This is my first EDF and I'm loving fencer. How long before I can expect to boost all around like that video in the review thread?

EDIT: Nevermind. Mission 8 kicked my ass so I switched to ranger

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that always bugged me about the series is you have zero idea what load out to take on a mission. Some missions are impossible to complete if you don't have a specific type of weapon, and sometimes you won't know until the end of the mission itself. For instance, if you have grenades when you need to shoot down UFOs.

This really limits me wanting to experiment with any of the crazier weapons in the game.

I wish the briefings would at least hint at what you will need for the mission, or at least have some kind of one-use rearming station you can use in game.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Played the first 1 missions co-op with my friend and totally enjoying the new version. I love the new weapon upgrade system and getting armor/gear for the other classes that you didn't play in a particular mission. During the first mission that gets interrupted by the news update, it sounded so much like some sort of Mario music I thought my WiiU had turned on by itself and launched a Mario game.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, a guy called "ChuckNorris" with a 2 million Armor hack helped me with getting of some of my high level weapons in EDF4.1.
I nearly died of laughing because he still wasn't able to carry us through the last online mission on inferno.

Is it ... is it me or does the game feel a bit slower ? I can't put my finger on it why but EDF 4.1 feels so much smoother even on the PS4pro. Also the beginning missions are just not that fun to play. Plus now we have limitations on how you cannot have the same weapon twice. Except on the Fencer, which is dissapointing for me cause I loved double bombing the shit out of things as an Air Raider. I played seven mission or eight, but it feels a bit lack luster for some reason. The voice acting is a bit meh, and the action at this point just feels a bit okayish. Will continue later. Still a fun videogame, but a few things feel off.

Slower? Hell no! Maybe EDF 4.1 did hit 60fps more frequently, but all classes have received some form of speed boost in EDF 5. Even Mechs can do an infinite bunny-hop now.

No hyperbole: Fencer is now one of the best TPS mechanics in gaming. So good when you're "in the zone" = not pausing the dash-hop flow.
As I've said before, you can basically perform an infintie dash combo right from the start with 1 dash, 1 hop + a spear, sword weapon with fast reload time.
This game will be so muuuuch fun once you get the 7 x dash + 7 x hop items.

Last edited:

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
So cleared through level 9 playing split screen with my son last night, and the basic game loop is as fun and addictive as ever. They definitely seem to be throwing more enemies at you even in these beginner levels. Being able to get armor and weapons for other classes is great, I really felt EDF4 was broken in having 4 classes but you really needed to pick one to focus on for the long haul, here at least you have some more room to experiment with other classes. Though Ranger is pretty much my sweet spot it's nice to have options, my son was playing Air Raider and it seemed a lot better right out of the gate than last game, he was laying down some sweet bombing, mortar and strafing runs that were devastating.

Anyway I can tell this is gonna provide many hours of fun, and the thirst for better weapons is as real as ever, when I should have been in bed I was replaying a couple early levels on Hard for some better guns. Me and my son are really looking forward to seeing some of the new MONSTERS as well.

Last edited:

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not a fan of how vehicles seem to be more of an "ultimate" in this game rather than a primary play mode for the Air Raider, they're not powerful enough to warrant that rarity. Vehicles were the main source of variety for that class.

The frog dismemberment mechanics are straight out of Zangeki no Reginleiv though, except you don't get separate loot for different limbs. And the EMC looks like the beam cannon vehicle(/transforming mecha) from Chou Soujuu Mecha MG.

Plus now we have limitations on how you cannot have the same weapon twice. Except on the Fencer, which is dissapointing for me cause I loved double bombing the shit out of things as an Air Raider.
I think that got added in 2 Vita because the Air Raider now has strikes that don't need kills to recharge and keep recharging when not equipped.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of how vehicles seem to be more of an "ultimate" in this game rather than a primary play mode for the Air Raider, they're not powerful enough to warrant that rarity. Vehicles were the main source of variety for that class.

The frog dismemberment mechanics are straight out of Zangeki no Reginleiv though, except you don't get separate loot for different limbs. And the EMC looks like the beam cannon vehicle(/transforming mecha) from Chou Soujuu Mecha MG.

I think that got added in 2 Vita because the Air Raider now has strikes that don't need kills to recharge and keep recharging when not equipped.

How much did you play so far? Drop prices for vehicles are an upgradeable stat. And yeah, if you spam air strikes it takes a long time to get vehicles ready, I can still always spawn 2-3 mechs in some of the bigger missions (I'm on mission 11 now) and I don't think that this was different in EDF4.1. Keep in mind that a level 2 mech is basically underpowered for "hard" difficulty and higher missions on normal.

OP
OP
Bosh

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Those humanoid aliens that you encounter early on (That don't look like humans at all) can really throw down the hammer on you damage wise. Will be really hectic fighting on inferno and/or if there is a colored silver/gold version of them.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
And yeah, if you spam air strikes it takes a long time to get vehicles ready, I can still always spawn 2-3 mechs in some of the bigger missions (I'm on mission 11 now) and I don't think that this was different in EDF4.1.
Kill credit doesn't get split up, all credit based gear gets full credit for every kill AFAIK.
The main difference in 4.1 was that you got around 3000 credits to your vehicle at the start of the mission, letting you deploy regular vehicles immediately. Now you always seem to get 50% so you can't drop vehicles until the combat has gotten into gear, pretty bad for something like the Naegling which is basically only useful when the enemy is still at range.
Of course when you're fighting more valuable enemies like the toads you build that meter up pretty fast but against insects it takes a while to get a vehicle ready so you're usually dropping it in the middle of a melee.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Making progress between Online & Singleplayer seperate is still the stupidest fucking thing.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Replayed the first 11 missions and went ahead a few more as we brought on our 3rd player. The new humanoid frog enemies are a blast (heh heh) to fight. I love sneaking up on them and unloading with a shotgun. It's so neat to see this enemy have it's legs blown off and then try to still attack me while not being able to stand. Great addition to enemy list.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I like mech games, can someone explain how mechs work in this ? I've never played the series.

OP
OP
Bosh

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Oh so how to do pause in game I don't see an option for it?

Think ibmisunderstood your first comment about downloading. Thought it was the game (before you play). Sorry !
Replayed the first 11 missions and went ahead a few more as we brought on our 3rd player. The new humanoid frog enemies are a blast (heh heh) to fight. I love sneaking up on them and unloading with a shotgun. It's so neat to see this enemy have it's legs blown off and then try to still attack me while not being able to stand. Great addition to enemy list.

I agree, also love that they will hide behind building's. Great addition !

I like mech games, can someone explain how mechs work in this ? I've never played the series.

Checkout air raider class, you can get mechs of varying sizes through almost the whole game

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA

Hah, yeah we got to those frog dudes last night and they are a lot of fun. Certainly surprising when I've blown the legs off one and then realize it's laying there still shooting me, good times.

Anyone know how you unlock the higher difficulties?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried the air raider for the first time after 12 missions . It's great that you earn some weapons for other classes. Air raider is really fun.

This is shaping up to be my favorite in the series.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the season pass worth the money? Conflicted between regular and digital premium edition.

*12 variations of additional weapons and support arms that will boost the power of each of the ground troops

^Pretty much makes deluxe essential if you're in it for the long-game

To clarify, the highest level (100+) weapons only drop in the DLC missions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hah, yeah we got to those frog dudes last night and they are a lot of fun. Certainly surprising when I've blown the legs off one and then realize it's laying there still shooting me, good times.

Anyone know how you unlock the higher difficulties?
I believe you have to finish the game (on any difficulty) for the higher difficulties to unlock.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The Robot Bomb seems like it's actually useful against the smarter aliens since it has pathfinding. So it'll hit them even if they're in cover and you never get a line of sight. Especially against the armored types since the Air Raider has quite some trouble with them when on foot and they appear in small numbers so dropping all 6 bombs at a single target and waiting for them to hit is viable. I suppose if you need a navigational aid in caves you could use the Robot Bomb too...

*12 variations of additional weapons and support arms that will boost the power of each of the ground troops

^Pretty much makes deluxe essential if you're in it for the long-game
You sure? That sounds like the DLC weapons from previous games which were starter tier weapons.
To clarify, the highest level (100+) weapons only drop in the DLC missions.
Eh, having extra loot for DLC missions seems normal (just consider it an expansion pack then), especially since their titles suggest that they are harder than the base game. It sounds like those missions will be for sale separately too.