• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Hola,

I recently featured Earthtongue in this thread about Indie Games that didnt get enough attention: Link
A friend showed me a Metroid mod though, which still kinda blows my mind:
l9Zz6l7.gif

Earthongue (Currently 75% off for $1,24)
Planet Zebes Mod
The game is an alien life ecosystem simulator (btw, there arent nearly enough of those and if you know more, please share them!). You start on a barren planet and your task is to supervise several species in that ecosystem, plant and animals, which help and/or feed on each other.

These games are very laid back and are played more like a Zen garden with a curious and open mind about possible developments once things started rolling a bit, where different settings/Mods give completely different moods/gameplay progress. You might wonder how this sounds even remotely fun or interesting: Well, each plant or animal has different needs, so figuring out how to keep a species alive to understand how it develops and then carefully crafting your perfect ecosystem is actually quite hard. One way to make steady improvements is to focus on the survival of 1 species, unlock its data set and get to know more about its eating habits and living conditions.

Aside from being a "garden", the main motivation is to keep the species alive and read the story bits/background info that you will unlock at certain milestones.Its likely not a game you'll be playing for days on end, but its damn special and the Metroid mod is the amazing icing on the cake.

Some other mods, which actually do play a bit differently and are not only reskins:
tKX9DF2.gif
BjiU5km.gif

blmSd6w.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I predict: My thread with the least amount of potential interest/posts ever and I fully expect this thread to die before page 2. :D
But yeah, its kinda weird that there arent more of these. I guess some similar games would be Viridi, but it doesnt really have the ecosystem going on and the Badman/What did I do to deserve this my Lord games, which have a similar theme, but completely different goals.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those games that feels like it's been on my WL forever. Ok I'll bite.
Good! Thread is now considered a success then :p Its pretty quick to get a play session in, do post some impressions whenever you checked it out.

If somebody is still on the fence about buying it, feel free to ask me for a key in this thread. I'll buy a few copies if needed.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
I love ecosystem simulators, so relaxing...
Thank you for making this thread and for recommending it now that it's on sale, I forgot it even was on my wishlist!

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid mod sold me on this, time to make my own army; and what the heck I can buy it with card money.
Btw Toma you asked for similar games, while not quite a 'zen garden' type game I really enjoyed Waking Mars.
It's a game that has an incredible sense of actual showing ecology and ecosystem preservation, while having one of the most impressive protagonists in gaming, believable and life-like.

Deleted member 11025

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played a few hours of this last year and it was really cool. Gotta get around to trying that Metroid mod...

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time to play everything you recommend Toma, but know that they all (including this) make it on my list. THERE IS A CHANCE.

closer013

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great winding down experience. The Metroid mod looks great! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
This is more of an interactive screensaver than a game, but it's interesting enough for a dollar. It's amusing to see how wildly things can spread or conversely go extinct.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Metroid mod sold me on this, time to make my own army; and what the heck I can buy it with card money.
Btw Toma you asked for similar games, while not quite a 'zen garden' type game I really enjoyed Waking Mars.
It's a game that has an incredible sense of actual showing ecology and ecosystem preservation, while having one of the most impressive protagonists in gaming, believable and life-like.

I was about to say this too. Waking Mars is very alien and all about growing plants.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how to keep anything alive but it's pretty while it's dying
You need to start figuring out what the effects/needs of individual organisms are. You can start by growing some plants and then clicking an animal to drag it to the new plant are to see if that animal can sustain itself from that plant. If not, the plant might be poisonous or the animal might be carnivorous and then go from what you can figure out that way.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It kinda sounds like Viva Pinita. You say it's very laid back, Toma.. So laid back that it could be configured to work on the Steam controller? My PC is practically always in Big Picture mode without a keyboard hooked up and a mouse is fiddly on the couch, so I rarely play games without controller support.

Deleted member 1781

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to give Earthtongue a try later. You asked for recommendations in the genre, there is Birthdays: The Beggining and it's available on PS4 and PC. The game is a bit clunky but enjoyable, in the campaign you need to create an ecosystem to spawn the right life form to advance through the story. There is also a free mode where you can do whatever you want.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
It kinda sounds like Viva Pinita. You say it's very laid back, Toma.. So laid back that it could be configured to work on the Steam controller? My PC is practically always in Big Picture mode without a keyboard hooked up and a mouse is fiddly on the couch, so I rarely play games without controller support.
I dont see why it shouldnt work. Its gonna be a relaxing experience on the TV too. It might be a bit fiddly if you want to grab individual seeds, but it should be enjoyable regardless. I have no idea how the steam controller config works though, in case that has different conditions to work based on the game.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I need to give Earthtongue a try later. You asked for recommendations in the genre, there is Birthdays: The Beggining and it's available on PS4 and PC. The game is a bit clunky but enjoyable, in the campaign you need to create an ecosystem to spawn the right life form to advance through the story. There is also a free mode where you can do whatever you want.
Interesting, I faintly remembered that, but kinda completely forgot about it. Will definitely look at it later.

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see why it shouldnt work. Its gonna be a relaxing experience on the TV too. It might be a bit fiddly if you want to grab individual seeds, but it should be enjoyable regardless. I have no idea how the steam controller config works though, in case that has different conditions to work based on the game.

I'll give it a shot when I get home, since it's so cheap anyway. Thanks for the recommendation :)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Waking Mars is great. I'd take a Metroid mod for that as well :P

This game looks quite cool. Unfortunately right now I'm too busy with the major releases of the past couple weeks but it seems worth looking into.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I predict: My thread with the least amount of potential interest/posts ever and I fully expect this thread to die before page 2. :D
But yeah, its kinda weird that there arent more of these. I guess some similar games would be Viridi, but it doesnt really have the ecosystem going on and the Badman/What did I do to deserve this my Lord games, which have a similar theme, but completely different goals.
I'll prove you wrong! I'll even buy the game. Glad to see you making threads Toma.

Will we get an Indie Thread for November? :)

edit: jokes on me, I already own it.
Man, I bought this, The Sun and Moon, Hacket, Snakebird and some more stuff and I don't have any recollection of it.

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll prove you wrong! I'll even buy the game. Glad to see you making threads Toma.

Man, I bought this, The Sun and Moon, Hacket, Snakebird and some more stuff and I don't have any recollection of it.

Hacknet is a fantastic game.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017

The unsung heroes thread will serve as the indie thread for november while we figure out some organizational stuff. ;)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/indie-games-unsung-heroes-of-a-bygone-era-beware-of-gifs.1250/

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up on Birthdays again, its currently on sale for 16$ instead of 40$ on PSN.