• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
twinfinite.net

EA CEO Shares Update on Future of Battlefield 2042 and Battlefield Mobile's Potential Launch Window

During EA’s quarterly financial conference call, CEO Andrew Wilson talked about the future of Battlefield 2042 and Battlefield Mobile.

Today, during Electronic Arts' quarterly financial conference call for analysts and investors, chief executive officer Andrew Wilson talked about the future of Battlefield 2042 and Battlefield Mobile.

Wilson mentioned that he expects the Battlefield franchise to continue to grow and be an important part of EA's portfolio for many, many years to come.

The Battlefield 2042 team now has "incredible leadership" and is rethinking the development process from the ground up, and using the Vince Zampella/Respawn model to "get to the fun as quickly as possible."

They've been doing thousands of updates for the community working on the quality of life and getting the core game right.

Wilson believes there's more work to do and the team is committed to doing that work for the community. Beyond that, once they get to a place in which they feel they're in the right place for the core experience and core game, we should expect EA to invest and grow beyond what the game is at today.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I won't believe it until the next game releases and delivers. No trailers, no previews, and certainly no language from a CEO is going to convince me about this franchise again

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I think I'd rather just have a Bad Company 2 remaster/remake. Or Battlefield 3. Or even 2.

Curious to see what they do next but I'm not holding my breath.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vince has gotta be next in line for CEO if Andy ever leaves.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's about to get spicy in here.

jurassic-park-water.gif

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
So bummed out about 2042, it had everything going for it prior to release it seemed. Then the beta came out and everything changed.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they cannot fail the next battlefield. Hopefully Vince can fix the studio.

Apr 23, 2019
Not sure Battlefield needs a total rethinking when just doing what they've done for the ~20 years prior to 2042 would be sufficient. If someone can get them back on track though it's probably Vince.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
EA's purchase of Respawn continues to prove to be one of the best acquisitions in history. Hopefully Vince can right the ship over at DICE.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
So bummed out about 2042, it had everything going for it prior to release it seemed. Then the beta came out and everything changed.
It really is fascinating to see subsequent releases of a game franchise compel the community to have a more positive retrospective for the previous entry because the new one is such a downgrade. BFV got shit on so hard (some of it was from bad actors of course but many players were disappointed at launch), now more people are playing V than 2042 lol

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I hope they start with their UI process. 2042's awful, awful UI should never have survived an iterative design process. It's emblematic of something seriously wrong in whatever they're doing over there.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
DICE's "process" has been completely fucked up for years according to folks that have left or are familiar with it so this is hopefully good news

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Not sure Battlefield needs a total rethinking when just doing what they've done for the ~20 years prior to 2042 would be sufficient. If someone can get them back on track though it's probably Vince.

2042 wasn't their first blunder. They've had a lot of issues that have been building over time. 2042 is just the worst of it all. Which is a shame because some of the core ideas I loved.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I can see those meetings now:

"What if we take what we did in BF 2042...and do the opposite"

*agreeing murmur*

"And we make sure it actually works too"

*intensely agreeing murmur*

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Wilson believes there's more work to do and the team is committed to doing that work for the community. Beyond that, once they get to a place in which they feel they're in the right place for the core experience and core game, we should expect EA to invest and grow beyond what the game is at today.
That's a cute way to say they're going to quietly drop the game.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
assign Bioware to Vince too while you are at it, give it all to him.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're still working to get the core game right almost 8 months after launch.. maybe you should've left it in the oven for awhile longer.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I can see those meetings now:

"What if we take what we did in BF 2042...and do the opposite"

*agreeing murmur*

"And we make sure it actually works too"

*intensely agreeing murmur*
"What if we made an actual Battlefield game with all the features and conventions that's to be expected in a traditional Battlefield game?"
*the murmurs turn into excited chatter*

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vince carry EA on his back the last few years

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Respawn has to be the best acquisition EA has ever made.

They bought respawn for a bargain price and for a gamble on apex and it paid off.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
They've got a lot to prove at this point and no goodwill from the community. As a longtime fan I wish them luck.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
They should just release Battlefield Bad Company reboot. Keep it simple but also add strafe running and prone and keep the core mechanics of BFBC2. What could go wrong…?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
They should just release Battlefield Bad Company reboot. Keep it simple but also add strafe running and prone and keep the core mechanics of BFBC2. What could go wrong…?
If they use this as a stepping stone to bringing back a core BF title I would be all over it. Don't try to recreate the wheel… just make the wheel (BC2) a modern game that people can enjoy while you get set for the future of the franchise. Portal was almost there but not quite and was tied to the BF2042 anchor.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Vince carry EA on his back the last few years

I don't claim to be an expert on EA, but Vince's track record seems so drastically superior to the rest of EA that i don't see why he isn't the CEO. He's incredibly competent and nearly all of EA's profit pre-Respawn has come from exclusive licenses from major brands like Madden, Fifa, and Star Wars, not from well planned CEO leadership and vision.