• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Hey EA, surely you can spare some of that loot boxes money for a Dead Space 4 right?

Wait, you're probably going to put loot boxes in Dead Space again. Nevermind...

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would buy some EA stock at low point if I had the money. It was stealing price.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
If nothing else, at least the short and loud outcry will at least make developers/publishers think about how they implement their dumb lootboxes? Hopefully?

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
To get the next Battlefront game you will have to go to the store and pay $60 for a physical lootbox that may or may not contain the game. If not, you'll just have to keep buying them until you get a box with the game included.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
What is their current record high?
$122.79. This year their stock is higher than ever before, so it's just the top of the 52 week range.

With Battlefront 2, they tanked down to the high 90s as investors were worried how it would sell and if the loss of the microtransaction revenue would be a big deal.

The final verdict will come at the end of January with their fiscal call though.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason why it is climbing up, though? Just general anticipation for the financial statement release? Or is it just general stock climb in the US industry.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
This is becoming Groundhog Day with some of you guys. Anthem is going to sell really well and EA stock next year will be higher than it is now.

Considering what EA and Bioware gave in Andromeda and the fact that many more people are aware of their MTX tendencies and so on, I don't know if it's going to sell as well as you think. It's a new IP, not an established one that Andromeda had. While it is Bioware, I don't think they've come out with a truly great game since ME3 (even with the ending issues, the game was fantastic). If anything, I think ME:A and DA:I really hurt Bioware over the past few years and if the trend keeps going, Anthem may not do that well either.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Considering what EA and Bioware gave in Andromeda and the fact that many more people are aware of their MTX tendencies and so on, I don't know if it's going to sell as well as you think. It's a new IP, not an established one that Andromeda had. While it is Bioware, I don't think they've come out with a truly great game since ME3 (even with the ending issues, the game was fantastic). If anything, I think ME:A and DA:I really hurt Bioware over the past few years and if the trend keeps going, Anthem may not do that well either.
Anthem is an interesting one since it's not actually targeted the people who bought games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, but rather the people who buy games like Destiny, The Division, and Borderlands.

It's a total audience shift for them. I do think it's up in the air whether it pans out, but I don't think I would judge its sales potential based on their previous games, in the same way I wouldn't have judged The Division's sales potential based on Ground Control and World in Conflict.

brownmagic

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost as if no one cares about loot boxes in video games besides the vocal minority on the internet.

Oct 26, 2017
If you think that video games are going to play a large part in the future of entertainment, it's just a really common sense buy.

Even if lootboxes were to go away, which they won't (largely because the people who actually play games with them generally like them, either for being fun or unobtrusive), EA still has the top talent to come up with the next successful monetization scheme.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I trashed the latest ME as much as the next guy but Andromeda was a financial success. Battlefront 2 will end up selling more than 99% of games and the only time thier stock dipped was because the removal of lootboxes, not the addition or gamer backlash. Dragon Age Inquisition was GOTY and was the most successful Bioware game ever at the time...lol.

I'm fully on board with saying Bioware is a shadow of what they used to be, but it's just not accurate to say their games aren't "doing well" and to think Anthem will sell badly is horribly bad bet based on emotion and not reality. Just wait, the closer we get to Anthem the more the hype train will start, and the more gamer amnesia will kick in and people will forget they hate EA until the next time. It's been hapoening for years, and that won't change any time soon.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. All of this EA backlash and just the other day we had a thread glorifying the top performing mobile games, like it's something to be happy about.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Just yesterday I was watching a video where the guy said EA is in trouble in 2018 and he made a point of showing the stock drops after BFII.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
The Ultimate Team effect

it'll crash once some of the bigger western governments crack down on their shady loot boxes

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good for them I guess. I don't buy their stuff in general but honestly, if so many other people enjoy their games outside of I don't know the correct term to use...core gamers? maybe they are doing something right?

The very sort of people who play certain EA games would be 'core gamers'.

See Battlefield community....

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Well, if Activision is killing it, EA doing the same thing is not a surprise. Activision is just as bad as EA.

Jan 11, 2018
Like, BF2 tanked compared to expectations, but people did not boycott all of EA because of that fiasco.

They only boycotted BF2.

I bet half of the people who buy FIFA yearly don't even know EA makes the game at this point anyways. Compared to everything else, FIFA and Madden are pretty much "the casual's games on PS4" right now.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
You guys aren't honestly surprised, are you? EA always bounces back after a little drama. The average gamer doesn't care or comprehend what the big publishers do wrong.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's a bull market right now so you can't keep a company like that down. My ATVI is flying and I recently bought some shares of Tencent (obviously quite a diverse company) and have made about $10 per share in the last few weeks. NTDOY is doing well also but I think it has a lot of room to grow.

Acerac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
only think that would bring them down for good is if people start boyotting their games if they have bullshit practices...

whining on reddit and the internet only bring you so far.

they are only if we let them be the future

but people should stop whining on the internet and start votingg with their wallets.
No. We are too small a minority to matter. Don't fool yourself, licenses matter more than gamers.

Alebrije

Oct 27, 2017
JF4kCmJHINCsnJanCEEB-2l4wi18gA61GAJwT7GUhyiNgdQQir4l16GyAaFmIO5P5cHs60AZOHrov6JoHENxTWDa-Mm_scHZe2Mlu02X_y8eMNCxTelvEg4YY8bwnEIp1lXZCDVWdm07S2GA2z7tafM=w294-h194-nc

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
And of course social meddipping numerous websites played up the relevance of EA's stock dipping as some sort of huge victory. The license was going to guarantee sales no matter what, and all EA had to do was weather the bad PR for a month.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
This is the future you chose gamers, enjoy it. Honestly though, the average gamer probably has absolutely zero idea about any EA controversies and loves lootboxes. I've made my peace. The only thing I can do is continue to not buy EA games and instead support publishers who at least pretend to actually care about video games.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Like, BF2 tanked compared to expectations, but people did not boycott all of EA because of that fiasco.

They only boycotted BF2.

I bet half of the people who buy FIFA yearly don't even know EA makes the game at this point anyways. Compared to everything else, FIFA and Madden are pretty much "the casual's games on PS4" right now.

I will bet that whilst BF2 is under expectations that it's nowhere near 'tanked'. First one sold what ~14M. And I'm sure expectations were around that point given Star Wars hype was highest around the release of the first game.

Bet BF2 isn't a million miles away. Under. But not way off.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The general gaming consumer has little to no spine or self control to not pick up games.

Rarely will you ever find people that actually will stick to boycotts.