• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
It's seems funny to speculate who will pick what for their GOTY when they're able to just read this thread and laugh at us, but I will say this - I think it would be expected for Damiani to pick one of the Nintendo games, but if he flips to Persona 5, all bets are off. Kyle I think will be the hardest to flip to Persona, but a good argument perhaps could sway him. But who knows...it should be a fun night all around!

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It's seems funny to speculate who will pick what for their GOTY when they're able to just read this thread and laugh at us, but I will say this - I think it would be expected for Damiani to pick one of the Nintendo games, but if he flips to Persona 5, all bets are off. Kyle I think will be the hardest to flip to Persona, but a good argument perhaps could sway him. But who knows...it should be a fun night all around!
I would be very surprised Damiani will choose Persona 5 over Zelda or Mario. From what I could see from Damiani's Persona 5 streams (I have only seen a few) he does find the pacing too slow and there are certainly things that seem to bother him about Persona 5.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Kyle's quote during that Easy Update that Ian did with him was something like "How do you tell someone Persona 5 is bad?"

Ha, Toon Link beat me to it.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not at all looking forward to Kyle's attitude towards Persona 5 in the stream.

Haha I mean, he's entitled to his opinion - from what he said in the mini interview for Easy Update, I definitely agree with some of his sentiments. The game is amazing to me, but I find it very stressful, like every decision I am not making is preventing me from doing something else in the future. I think he understands why others really enjoy it and won't be outright dismissive, but hey even so, not everyone has to like all the games - that will make for the best arguments!

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Haha I mean, he's entitled to his opinion - from what he said in the mini interview for Easy Update, I definitely agree with some of his sentiments. The game is amazing to me, but I find it very stressful, like every decision I am not making is preventing me from doing something else in the future. I think he understands why others really enjoy it and won't be outright dismissive, but hey even so, not everyone has to like all the games - that will make for the best arguments!
I totally get that. It was my first Persona game and was afraid to do something wrong in the beginning until I read from people to just play the game and not really care about missing stuff. I have played most of the game that way and it was fantastic.
If I would play P5 (or an other Persona) again, I would certainly do things differently (I was waaay to slow in leveling my social stats so I was stuck with a lot of sidequests), but all in all I am very glad I didn't stress about min-maxing everything and searching the internet every half an hour.

Also, I am sure Kyle sees Persona 5 as a good game, it's just not for him.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
tumblr_oee3412t2d1qes9nlo2_400.gif

He's so cool.

I live in fear of Huber constantly trying to roadblock Persona 5 into winning every category. Like, if he starts championing Ryuji for best character, I'mma close the stream. Worst character in the game.

I'm telling you, it's gotta be Sojiro. I hope.

Also yay today's the day.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"How do you convince someone that Persona 5 is a bad game?"

I believe Kyle's quote during that Easy Update that Ian did with him was something like "How do you tell someone Persona 5 is bad?"

sigh

I can understand the concerns as well. This was my first Persona and I had similar concerns at first.
My problem mostly comes from the potentially dismissive attitude he may have. I love Kyle Bosman and up until the closure of GameTrailers he was my favorite member in their crew (now I like Ben a bit more), but as far as arguing against people he very often comes across as dismissive when his views aren't shared by whoever he's talking to. I specifically remember being pretty annoyed at his behavior in the E3 streams when the question of whether Shadow of the Colossus is a remake or remaster as he came off as simply unwilling to listen to what was being said. He'll probably be better on this stream but as I said, there are things I'm looking forward to and Kyle's attitude regarding P5 is, regardless of how it eventually turns out, not something I'm looking forward to.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kyle's Persona argument is my only hope

then again, i don't think "too cool" will cut it lmao

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda bummed that there is no category for a game like Final Fantasy 14. Stormblood was the best experience I had all year, but it's unlikely to get its due. Maybe someone will nominate Zenos for Best Character, but even that is a stretch.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
While I think (and hope) Zelda wins GotY, I do agree with issa that people are being a little too dismissive of Mario's chances. Mario seemed to have more support/better arguments in the Opinion Yell, and I think a good portion of the group that might go with Zelda overlaps with the people picking Persona 5 (Huber, maybe Brad and/or Ben). Depends how they do it. If it comes down to every person in the group voting for either Mario or Zelda, I bet Zelda wins. If they all vote with all games allowed I can see Mario getting more 1st place votes.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Brad really going to pick Persona 5? He called BotW GOTY a few times, even a month or so ago. But I don't know if those were serious comments.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Persona 5 have issues with homophobia? Hopefully it doesn't even enter the conversation.
Zelda is GOTY but I'd be fine with Mario winning too.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Persona 5 have issues with homophobia? Hopefully it doesn't even enter the conversation.

There's stuff like that which sucks and causes it to stumble thematically in places, yeah. This was also the perfect game for them to introduce same-sex romance options (again, given the theme of fighting back against societal oppression), but they somehow didn't do that. No problem dating 10 girls at once, though, duuuuuuuude!

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I personally didn't really see a lot of that during my playthrough although there are one or two particular moments with 2 characters which were somewhat of a caricature and very cringeworthy which I didn't really like while playing.
I would say it's a few minutes of that in a game of 100+ hours.

I didn't feel like it was homophobia myself, but I understand that some people would. It certainly wasn't necessary. I think it was meant as comedic relief, but it wasn't really funny imo.
That said, maybe I have missed some other parts.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Will the deliberations be posted onto YouTube also, or just the quickfire results video?

Most likely YT. They'll probably be posted in full on the main channel but even if for some reason the main channel only gets the results, then EZA Plays will most likely have everything.
Still though, I'm 99% you'll see them on the main channel at some point this week.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably be happy with anything except Mario. I can totally understand Horizon or Persona, BotW would be my personal pick, but Mario is just... it's not even in the same tier of quality. It gets by on the barest of bones and laziest of game design because it's Mario.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably be happy with anything except Mario. I can totally understand Horizon or Persona, BotW would be my personal pick, but Mario is just... it's not even in the same tier of quality. It gets by on the barest of bones and laziest of game design because it's Mario.

Delete this.
(jk. You're opinion is definitely an interesting one. I wouldn't call Mario lazy though.)
Edit: Actually never mind delete this.
Edit2: TAKE ME TO VALHALLA!!!

Last edited:

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Delete this.
(jk. You're opinion is definitely an interesting one. I wouldn't call Mario lazy though.)
Edit: Actually never mind delete this.
Edit2: TAKE ME TO VALHALLA!!!
I mean, that Joseph Anderson video making the rounds pretty handily shows the extent of the game's laziness. over 500 of the moons are mindless busywork and/or absolutely zero challenge whatsoever. It works for a kids game, or to a very broad casual audience to maintain a level of interest through constant 'success' but for me it just fails as an interesting game.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
About 1,800 people watching the live stream. Is that more than normal? I always miss the group stream but it feels like a lot. EDIT: 2,200 now. EDIT 2: 3,200 now, lol

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PRODUCTION VALUES DAMN!!!!!

I like those lower thirds. I kinda want all that to become EZA's visual identity.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
Hey but seriously though why the fuck was Kyle basically MIA for the whole stream except for his joke category? Literally hasn't said a word for the final debate.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I get the sense that Kyle is more introverted, so you hear him a lot when he's moderating (every week on the podcast), when's he's trolling, or when there's a small group (like on Frametrap). In contrast, The EZA awards has everyone, and he seems more inclined to let other people get their points in, which is why we haven't been hearing much of him.

I've really enjoyed what I've heard from the awards stream, but I haven't played the final two, so I bowed out early to avoid spoilers. Will be really interested to see what the final list looks like (and this includes everyone's personal lists), and to see overall what worked and didn't work, and how they'll adjust in the future. Really glad they streamed their deliberations this year instead of just showing us the final results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.