• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noah rayne

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Really, really impressed with EZA in the past week. Some top tier videos (that TTE tho...) but I especially have to commend their communication; the two public Cups of Jones were really smart and were sorely needed for the sake of clarity. They've been nothing but sincere, open and transparent about all of the changes they're making. I'm happy that they're taking their time with making their next steps and, through that, haven't had to sacrifice their content or their respect for the audience. TLDR: EZA is killing it right now!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Really, really impressed with EZA in the past week. Some top tier videos (that TTE tho...) but I especially have to commend their communication; the two public Cups of Jones were really smart and were sorely needed for the sake of clarity. They've been nothing but sincere, open and transparent about all of the changes they're making. I'm happy that they're taking their time with making their next steps and, through that, haven't had to sacrifice their content or their respect for the audience. TLDR: EZA is killing it right now!

Completely agreed. They're doing a lot of things right lately, and I like it a lot.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm so happy that they've upped the communications and marketing on their Youtube channel and other social media. I felt like that was really lacking recently and these past couple weeks have shown to me that they are listening. YAY! :)

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden 2 stream was really great. I'm happy ben is finally playing it and he played Suikoden 1 first as I think it enhances Suikoden 2.

And man the game holds up so well. Great animation, music, characters, etc. one of the greats

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is silly, but I am watching a GT Time episode from sometime in 2015, and it's so interesting and almost weird to see the allies in a multi-camera studio setting.

I came onto Easy Allies from the ground floor, because I was a very light fan of Gametrailers, occasionally watching Final Bosman and Mandatory Updates Nights, but I basically only barely knew the crew. I'm struggling to remember exactly how I knew all of the allies that started Easy Allies, because I know I didn't watch very much GT stuff, but maybe I watched a little more than I remember. I KNOW I never watched any GT Time before.

Here's the video I'm watching:

I'm not huge into that set, but I love the desk, and I adore the multi-cam setup. Also interesting to see that the format is so similar to the EZA Podcast, though I suppose that makes sense.

Very random post, I know, but it was just interesting for me to see them in a setting that is kind of what their goal is to go back to. I like it, but I hope their eventual studio will look a little cozier.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Nice, finally. I hope EZA members wont get too concerned with a couple of the negative comments outthere. These changes are smart and logic.
I am honestly not 100% sure what I think about it myself. I understand why people asked for patreon exclusive shows and I understand why they do it, but I am personally not the biggest fan as it will keep specific (potentially popular) shows away from the public.
I think CoJ is very logical to keep that behind a paywal as it is a patreon thing (although giving the editorial part to the people is probably not a bad idea). I also understand "And for that reason" being behind a paywal as it is a nice incentive and it's a smaller thing, although it would probably get a lot of views (and I suspect most people that are not happy with the changes are not happy because And for that reason is behind the paywal).

But I think spoiler mode is somewhat strange. I honestly only have watched one spoiler mode because I haven't played or whatched the other content yet. And I suspect I will hardly ever watch any of them. I am not saying they shouldn't make spoiler mode, they should as a lot of people are asking for them and I think it is a good idea. The thing I find weird is that it isn't really easy to try to find old posts back on patreon to watch old spoiler modes after you finished the game, so I am not sure how many people will watch it after they published it for a few weeks. I am also not sure if a lot of people will watch them as it's only a small part of the patrons that have finished game x. But maybe I am wrong.

I understand the move from a business perspective, but I am not convinced it will drive people to patreon (as a lot of the people who aren't patrons are people who don't want to pay for online content). Let's hope I am wrong.
It doesn't change much for me personally as I am a patron from day one, but I am still somewhat torn about the decision (but I guess the current patron numbers tell me that I am wrong).

Edit:
Scratch the it not being easy to find old spoiler modes. I forgot about the tags. That said, I still think it will be more difficult after they produced spoiler modes for 2 years. Patreon isn't the easiest website to find stuff (or comment on stuff).

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the move from a business perspective, but I am not convinced it will drive people to patreon (as a lot of the people who aren't patrons are people who don't want to pay for online content). Let's hope I am wrong.

Then those people never will be patrons and it's silly to cater to them. But realistically, until now, there's been no real reason to give them money unless you were a huge fan. Now, with gated content, some people may feel like taking the plunge for more.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Then those people never will be patrons and it's silly to cater to them. But realistically, until now, there's been no real reason to give them money unless you were a huge fan. Now, with gated content, some people may feel like taking the plunge for more.
Sure, I can see that. But it will also drive some people away from the youtube channel as well (although probably not too many people will stop watching).
But like I said, I guess I am wrong about it as their patreon is doing very well at the moment. Let's hope they keep growing.

I do love the fact that they gated it behind the $1 tier, which isn't too much of a commitment for most people. Those people just need to convince themselves that they are ok with paying for youtube content (just like I had to do when EZA started as I was very much opposed to supporting people on patreon before EZA as well).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with the posters above - it's all about getting people through the door. I do wonder why the $2 tier wasn't replaced though, given Jones was singing that tier's praises only this month on Cup of Jones. I'd imagine a lot will be dropping back down to $1. I'd have made 'And For That Reason' a $2 reward.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Agree with the posters above - it's all about getting people through the door. I do wonder why the $2 tier wasn't replaced though, given Jones was singing that tier's praises only this month on Cup of Jones. I'd imagine a lot will be dropping back down to $1. I'd have made 'And For That Reason' a $2 reward.
It's much easier to get people to pledge $1 a month for exclusive content if they don't give anything instead of $2.
I am not sure why they didn't replace the $2 tier with something else, but I do think that making the exclusives a $1 tier reward is a very good idea.

I also think that there is a lot more incentive to go for the $5 tier now with all the extra stuff you get. I was already at the $5 tier (since their last anniversary), but the choice would have been much easier now for sure.
So yeah, quite a few of them are going back down to $1, but if 25% of them go to $5, they break even. I don't think it is a bad move at all to just remove that tier.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
Have the allies ever considered a bonus patron exclusive group stream? Just one a month or whatever. Could bring back $2 selection committee tier and have them just pick the bonus stream game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
6500 patrons baby!

Some ideas for limited run series after "And For That Reason":

- Opinion Yell (self-explanatory)
- Ian's Torture Chambers (I'd keep it Portal only honestly, the FC5 level was kinda weak)
- Design Lab (any game goes, patrons seem to love the allies designing stuff, I surely do)
- Huber's Quiz Show (this has to happen someday)
- Reindeer Academy (possibly in the style of Box Peek)
- Fancy/First Fifteen (another thing patrons seem to love, just enter a random shop and buy a bunch of old, unknown games)
- Ben's Breakdown (analysys in the style of the demo disc video he did for the anniversary)

Also, Bloodworth, any plans of clipping Damiani's recap of Dragonball Z and putting it on YouTube? That would totally go viral.

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
But you don't get anything extra at $5? You just get stuff early. The lack of exclusive content at $5+ is exactly what's stopping me from pledging at that tier.
I thought so too in the beginning (even though I went to the $5 tier anyway on their previous anniversary), but the $5 tier lets me listen to the podcast during work instead of during the weekend (which is already too full with stuff to watch/games to play).
I am probably not going to use the early access on the other shows too much myself (except for the podcast), but a lot of people really like getting that stuff early.

I understand if you don't see that as getting anything. If I thought it wasn't worth it getting stuff early, I probably would not go for the $5 tier either if I were you.
In the beginning I pledged $5 just to help them a bit more (I came from the $1 tier) and didn't really use the early access every week (only sometimes), but now I am glad I did as I do sometimes struggle to find time to watch everything I want to watch + play games as well.

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, but isn't it posted like a month later? And you can't interact with it or participate with questions, which is the whole point of the Q&A.
I guess. I always watch it on youtube as I am in a lower tier and because the timedifference would probably be a pain anyway and I don't feel like I miss a lot (that said, I almost never watch streams in realtime).

I am not sure how much later it is usually posted. I don't think it's a full month.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Man, getting everything earlier is gonna take getting used to lol.
Yeah, the more annoying thing about this (for me) is that I usually watch all my youtube on my PS4 through the app (or at work for the things that don't require me to really watch it, like podcasts).
The only exception until now was CoJ, but I guess I have to stop doing that for EZA stuff (or wait until it's released for everybody).

This is one of the reasons I will probably not use the early access for most of the shows too often (I still think it's a good idea, there is just no easy way to watch it how I usually watch it).

Last edited:

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
In the beginning I pledged $5 just to help them a bit more (I came from the $1 tier) and didn't really use the early access every week (only sometimes), but now I am glad I did as I do sometimes struggle to find time to watch everything I want to watch + play games as well.

I used to pledge $10 just because too. I never watched the podcast early though. I like watching it on a Friday because it marks the start of the weekend, and really helps me relax after a stressful week. But then I ran into a bit of money trouble and had to lower it, but I made a promise to myself after that that I would only raise my pledge back up if I was getting a tangible reward for it.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the more annoying thing about this (for me) is that I usually watch all my youtube on my PS4 through the app (or at work for the things that don't require me to really watch it, like podcasts).
The only exception until now was CoJ, but I guess I have to stop doing that for EZA stuff (or wait until it's released for everybody).

This is one of the reasons I will probably not use the early access for most of the shows too often (I still think it's a good idea, there is just no easy way to watch it how I usually watch it).
So a workaround for this is open the early access video in YouTube and have it play a sec on your phone or computer. Then go into the PS4 app, go to history and it's there

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
? The Q+As are nothing like the weekly group streams
I don't understand how people are confusing a new game stream with a Q&A either. It's an interesting idea but if they were all going to be meeting up at Jones house that would be asking kind of a lot from people who are already making an 1+ drive. With that being said I would totally pay $15 a month for an exclusive stream, especially if they did it a little earlier in the day so I could watch live without sacrificing sleep.

Oct 25, 2017
? The Q+As are nothing like the weekly group streams
I don't understand how people are confusing a new game stream with a Q&A either. It's an interesting idea but if they were all going to be meeting up at Jones house that would be asking kind of a lot from people who are already making an 1+ drive. With that being said I would totally pay $15 a month for an exclusive stream, especially if they did it a little earlier in the day so I could watch live without sacrificing sleep.
Personally, as a non Patreon, an extra 2h "let's play" stream has 0 appeal. Spoiler Mode has a lot, though.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
So a workaround for this is open the early access video in YouTube and have it play a sec on your phone or computer. Then go into the PS4 app, go to history and it's there
Thanks, never thought about doing that for some reason (some IT guy I am).

I used to pledge $10 just because too. I never watched the podcast early though. I like watching it on a Friday because it marks the start of the weekend, and really helps me relax after a stressful week. But then I ran into a bit of money trouble and had to lower it, but I made a promise to myself after that that I would only raise my pledge back up if I was getting a tangible reward for it.
I honestly don't think it's a big deal if you feel it's not worth it. You should only pledge as much as you are comfortable with (and your personal stuff goes first for sure) and if you don't feel like the $5 tier is worth it to you, you shouldn't up your pledge for sure.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh the Bard College shit is so random but Kyle saved it lmao.
"He's ruined my life more than once...no less than 20 times!!!"
Then Huber's like "Look we can't all be the best...and Birdcough just happens to be the best". Laughed so hard.

Huber: Make up with your girlfriend
Kyle: No. She let Birdcough spit upon her hands
Huber: Hey everyone's starstruck with Birdcough apparently she just wanted his autograph
Kyle: She wanted more...she told me she wanted more...

Status
Not open for further replies.