• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, a new logo would be pretty cool. Kyle even suggested changing the logo a while ago. If we're really getting Easy Allies 2.0, then I think a brand new logo and graphics would help reflect that.
It's something I've wanted for a while. It'd represent a nice change/transition into the Studio Era.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really hope that they launch some new graphics packages alongside the new studio. From a marketing standpoint of the company, it makes sense to treat the studio as a "relaunch" of sorts.

Not changing the logo or anything crazy like that but it's time for the podcasts to all get sexy new intros. No better time to do that than alongside moving into a new studio. (EZA Podcast theme song needs to remain the same of course.)

I agree. Some updated visuals would be nice. And I know I'm in the minority but Frame Trap being the name of the second podcast is still sort of dumb. But it seems set in stone at this point.

Silencio

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Chapter 6 of Red Dead 2 at the moment and
Dutch's plan is basically Kyle's Five-Point Crime

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They got some cool new interface visuals for E3 and Easy Livin.

Which they never again used for anything else.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I want the Easy Allies to get anime intros for all their shows. Preferably animated by Studio Trigger...

I am only sorta joking...

But yeah, I am in the boat that a new coat of paint for all the shows would be nice and now would be the perfect time.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what "frame trap" means, but I like the sound of it. Totally fine with that name.

That is sorta the origin of the joke... they kept using the term "frame trap" and none of them knew what it actually meant. Ben likes fighting games a lot, but I think there is a solid chance that Ben still doesn't know what it means.

That video is pretty specific to SFIV and doesn't really explain what a frame trap is super well. A frame trap is when you use a normal attack against an opponent that is in enough block stun to ensure that they will be hit by that attack one hundred percent of the time if they try pressing a button. Basically, it is when you convince people that they are more capable of interrupting your attack than they actually are.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
They definitely need a new logo down the line. I'm sure people have grown used to it but the current one is mediocre at best.

I'd also appreciate some tweaks to their video post-production. I don't quite understand what issues they're running into at the moment because this really shouldn't take considerably more time, effort or know-how, but videos like their podcasts look worse than they ought to look considering their equipment, and part of it is down to the fact that they put out these videos in a rather muddy state. I assume they do something and the execution's just off, but a bit of colour correction and sharpening ought to do wonders and is pretty standard stuff all things considered! It's not all down to the garage.

I try not to complain about these things and I imagine the studio will help anyway, but it's just that these little things do go a long way towards upping their production values.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I finished RDR2. I was wrong to doubt Jones, even for a second...that game is a 10, controls be damned. I can't wait to hear the GOTY arguments for and against Red Dead...it definitely has a case to be made. I really don't know what to think anymore for 2018...just a great year to be a gamer!

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yep, I also absolutely loved RDR2. But God of War was so damn great as well, so that's a really close race for me personally.
Plus, I'm playing through Dragon Quest XI right now and it's soo fricking charming and fun. A great year for games indeed.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It's this weird thing where RDR2 did some incredible things and just walking around that world is awe-inspiring, but it is an uneven experience. God of War revitalised a tired franchise with a powerful message at it's core and while it arguably didn't shake things up too much, it was such a consistent, entertaining and wondrous adventure that it's hard to see how RDR2 could beat it.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would lower your expectations haha

Nah. That's my prediction. It shouldn't be any Nintendo game because they're all Wii U ports or collections. Xbox One is just Forza Horizon 4 but I don't see them giving an arcade racing game their game of the year. Outside of RDR 2, it's really only God of War. I know EZA favor Japanese games and while some of them are great, I just can't see any of them beating RDR 2/GOW.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nah. That's my prediction. It shouldn't be any Nintendo game because they're all Wii U ports or collections. Xbox One is just Forza Horizon 4 but I don't see them giving an arcade racing game their game of the year. Outside of RDR 2, it's really only God of War. I know EZA favor Japanese games and while some of them are great, I just can't see any of them beating RDR 2/GOW.

Based on the Allies' previous comments on Red Dead 2, it's pretty clear that almost none of them would vote for it for GOTY. It might even just be Jones.

DQ might make a push but I think GoW takes it.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know when EZA is doing their 2018 game of the year show? I'm expecting the winner to be RDR 2.
It's on their website's schedule. January 15th. It's pre-recorded by the way, not live like last year.

Based on the Allies' previous comments on Red Dead 2, it's pretty clear that almost none of them would vote for it for GOTY. It might even just be Jones.

DQ might make a push but I think GoW takes it.
Yeah, maybe there'll be a shock twist but I get the feeling it's going to be a GoW blowout. Other than Jones, Huber's the one who seems to love RDR2 the most but he's already made it clear it isn't his GOTY and it's pretty obvious what is (hint: it's the one with vikings, an axe and brutal kills). Other than those two, there's also Spider-Man (which I think is Kyle's GOTY?) and DQXI but I don't think they'll have enough support to beat GoW.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Do you like eating pussy, Kyle?"

I'm dead. Holy shit.

Shocked that this was said because rarely if ever do they use profanity/sexual talk.

It's on their website's schedule. January 15th. It's pre-recorded by the way, not live like last year.

Yeah, maybe there'll be a shock twist but I get the feeling it's going to be a GoW blowout. Other than Jones, Huber's the one who seems to love RDR2 the most but he's already made it clear it isn't his GOTY and it's pretty obvious what is (hint: it's the one with vikings, an axe and brutal kills). Other than those two, there's also Spider-Man (which I think is Kyle's GOTY?) and DQXI but I don't think they'll have enough support to beat GoW.

Thanks for the info.

And im definitely surprised if what you say is true because after watching a few of their podcasts, it seemed like RDR 2 was the favorite to win.

Jords

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
This is why I continue to support the allies. I love gaming. I love gaming talk. But the variety and curve balls they throw are great.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I think Monster hunter world will be top 3 in their goty list. I don't see it winning but too many of them have played it and loved it this year for it not to be high on the list.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
"Do you like eating pussy, Kyle?"

I'm dead. Holy shit.
Kyle's reaction was amazing.

Thanks for the info.

And im definitely surprised if what you say is true because after watching a few of their podcasts, it seemed like RDR 2 was the favorite to win.
The problem with all their RDR2 podcast discussions were that Jones was on almost all of them and his love of it kinda takes the discussion over. They still voiced a number of criticisms though and while I could be wrong, I got the feeling a lot of those issues were a bigger deal for them than they wanted to make it seem.

I think Monster hunter world will be top 3 in their goty list. I don't see it winning but too many of them have played it and loved it this year for it not to be high on the list.
Oh right, I'd actually forgotten MHW was a 2018 game. Yeah, it should do really well. Thinking about it, it probably has a better shot of making the top two than RDR2.

It should be fun. All I'm hoping for is some Jones salt lol.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017

Lots of good real talk in there. Laughed and more or less agreed when Ian said something to the effect of "We sometimes need to come in on a game and say hold on a second". Enjoyed their criticisms of the GOTYs out there (not that I don't enjoy the hype, but there will be lots of that to come).

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Between that comment from Ian and the Mandatory Update reunion episode, EZA's looking to get extra spicy in 2019.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I know Kyle's gonna Kyle but this idea that some people are forcing themselves to love Into the Breach to pat themselves on the back is such a tired and annoying opinion.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I know Kyle's gonna Kyle but this idea that some people are forcing themselves to love Into the Breach to pat themselves on the back is such a tired and annoying opinion.

I haven't seen the video yet, but I really like Into The Breach from the moment I started to play it on PC when it came out (and no, I am not forcing anything). I recently bought it on Switch as well and it's still hard to put down when I start playing it. For some reason it clicked with me from the first time I was playing it.

It's for sure not a GOTY contender for me, but I love almost everything about that game (I do somewhat suck at it, but still).
It's fantastic that you can play it for a couple of minutes to an hour at a time.

That said, I do understand why not everybody is going to like that game. It's basically a puzzle game covered in strategy clothes and there is obviously the artstyle which I really like, but for sure isn't for everybody. I personally love that it makes me use my brain. I tried playing it while listening to the showcase the other day and I realized that I missed half of what was said because of how concentrated I was on the game, so I stopped after that level.

It's probably my favorite indie game I have played this year next to Yoku's Island Express (which probably edges it out by a hair).
Btw, I haven't played the big indie fan favorites. I still want to play The Missing and give Celeste a try (even though it's not my type of game), but I am waiting on a sale and/or time.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the video yet, but I really like Into The Breach from the moment I started to play it on PC when it came out (and no, I am not forcing anything). I recently bought it on Switch as well and it's still hard to put down when I start playing it. For some reason it clicked with me from the first time I was playing it.

It's for sure not a GOTY contender for me, but I love almost everything about that game (I do somewhat suck at it, but still).
It's fantastic that you can play it for a couple of minutes to an hour at a time.

That said, I do understand why not everybody is going to like that game. It's basically a puzzle game covered in strategy clothes and there is obviously the artstyle which I really like, but for sure isn't for everybody.

It's probably my favorite indie game I have played this year next to Yoku's Island Express (which probably edges it out by a hair).
Btw, I haven't played the big indie fan favorites. I still want to play The Missing and give Celeste a try (even though it's not my type of game), but I am waiting on a sale and/or time.
It's not even about Into the Breach (which I do love). It's this typical notion some people have that if they don't like something as much as others, then it has to mean that the other people are wrong or are kidding themselves. It's such a basic and selfish argument that I've been hearing for the 15 years I've been online and I'm just surprised Kyle could think something like that unironically.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Any idea if they'll be doing Aquaman spoiler mode? It's basically THE next big superhero movie. Seems right up their alley.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It's not even about Into the Breach (which I do love). It's this typical notion some people have that if they don't like something as much as others, then it has to mean that the other people are wrong or are kidding themselves. It's such a basic and selfish argument that I've been hearing for the 15 years I've been online and I'm just surprised Kyle could think something like that unironically.
That's not the way I think either and it's for sure a weird thing to say. Who am I to tell people what they should like and what not? There are a lot of games people love and that don't do it for me. I couldn't get into Bloodborne or the Uncharted series for example. I can still see they are well made games, they are just not for me. Hell, there are probably more GOTY's that are not for me than there are GOTY's that I love.

I usually don't play most of the contenders because they don't speak to me at all. It's the same this year (even though I would probably like Spider-man).
I have bought most of them, but God Of War is for sure not my type of game as I usually tend to dislike that type of combat. I still see why people say it's a GOTY game, the same with Spider-man. It's also why the beginning of 2019 doesn't have a lot of new releases for me even though it's packed for most people.

The next game I am looking forward to is probably Trials Rising in February and I think the next big one is Judgment (formerly Project Judge) in the summer.
I am not going to discredit all the games that come out the next few months as great games and some of them will probably be talked about at GOTY's next year.

They are probably just not for me. I have too many games to play as is from buying way too many of them (and I tend to favor stuff like JRPGs the last few years, which doesn't help as they take a lot of time to finish), so it's all good.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with all their RDR2 podcast discussions were that Jones was on almost all of them and his love of it kinda takes the discussion over. They still voiced a number of criticisms though and while I could be wrong, I got the feeling a lot of those issues were a bigger deal for them than they wanted to make it seem.

Haha. So true. Jones LOVES Red Dead. Others seemed to be mostly positive but we'll see. Less than 10 days to go.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
My guess would be GoW with Spider-man a close second (it has a chance to win as well). I also think only Jones will vote for RDR2 as his GOTY (even though it would be my vote, but I haven't played the other 2).

Other possibilities for top 3 are DQ XI and Monster Hunter World, but I think it will be GoW, Spider-man, RDR2 in that order. Hubers is GoW and Kyle's is Spider-man. It seemed like Ian's is GoW as well. I would give RDR2 10% or so to win EZA's GOTY. I just don't see who would vote for RDR2 as their number one game except for Jones.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess would be GoW with Spider-man a close second (it has a chance to win as well). I also think only Jones will vote for RDR2 as his GOTY (even though it would be my vote, but I haven't played the other 2). Hubers is GoW and Kyle's is Spider-man. It seemed like Ian's is GoW as well.

Other possibilities for top 3 are DQ XI and Monster Hunter World, but I think it will be GoW, Spider-man, RDR2 in that order. I would give RDR2 10% or so to win EZA's GOTY.

Must admit that im very surprised because I really thought that it was going to be RDR 2 but im happy that it won't be because while the vast majority of RDR 2 is excellent, they really need to fix their gameplay and "linear scripted setup" for story missions with their next game which would probably be GTA VI. For me, God of War is my 2018 game of the year as I see it as the best overall game for me which means gameplay, story/characters, visuals and audio all have to be close to a 10 in each category. It has to be an overall package. For RDR 2, when everything else is so great, the disappointing gameplay stands out even more. Plus, if critics and gamers don't call out Rockstar for it, they'll never ever improve/fix it which is what I want them to do because I like Rockstar a lot but the gameplay is usually underwhelming and at the end of the day, im PLAYING the game, NOT WATCHING it.

Either way, should definitely be a great podcast debate and discussion.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Must admit that im very surprised because I really thought that it was going to be RDR 2 but im happy that it won't be because while the vast majority of RDR 2 is excellent, they really need to fix their gameplay and "linear scripted setup" for story missions with their next game which would probably be GTA VI. For me, God of War is my 2018 game of the year as I see it as the best overall game for me which means gameplay, story/characters, visuals and audio all have to be close to a 10 in each category. It has to be an overall package. For RDR 2, when everything else is so great, the disappointing gameplay stands out even more. Plus, if critics and gamers don't call out Rockstar for it, they'll never ever improve/fix it which is what I want them to do because I like Rockstar a lot but the gameplay is usually underwhelming and at the end of the day, im PLAYING the game, NOT WATCHING it.

Either way, should definitely be a great podcast debate and discussion.
I personally really like the type of open world and mission structure Rockstar creates, but I understand where you are coming from.
I would personally be disappointed if they change it (except if they find something even more perfect). But like I said before, I usually don't like combat too much in games. I loved the Mass Effect trilogy, but I didn't find the combat interesting. I really liked the story in The Last Of Us, but I found the overal combat/gameplay boring/uninteresting. The same for the Tomb Raider reboot (I love the exploration/puzzles in those) and The Elder Scrolls games. I am usually not the biggest fan of real-time combat. The only games I can think of where I usually enjoy combat are turn based JRPGs and I know most people don't like that at all (and I understand why). Eg. I just got the 1000 enemies beaten trophy in DQ XI and I got it relatively early in the story because I love to grind in JRPGs like this. It was the same for Ni No Kuni 2 for some reason.

I generally like the gameplay of RDR2, it's the gunplay that's just ok. The gunplay in RDR (and the GTA games) are for me a means to an end (I don't think it's bad, it's not good either), just like it is in most games for me. It's a way to progress in the story and I am usually not super interested in the battles at all.

That said, the Rockstar games are still one of my favorite games of all time. I just love the world and story so much that I don't care. I really love walking/driving around in their worlds doing side quests and just being in awe of what they created. But I guess I can consider myself a Rockstar fan. I understand why people don't like some aspects of their games for sure.

But yeah, I am for sure looking forward to their GOTY video/deliberations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.