• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Maybe some of them are subconsciously not super comfortable with recording the deliberations as they are afraid of going too wild on camera?
But like I said, I didn't see anything wrong this year and last year. They are just people discussing games, just like you would do with your friends.
Yeah it was fine, but maybe too quiet from half the people in there. Maybe they are subconsciously aware of the camera and it's affecting them. But meh, it was what it was. Kinda would have wished Damiani would have pushed SOTC more considering he loved it, but it got completely ignored.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Astrobot voting was dumb btw.
I love celeste and like it better than Astrobot but when you have 3 people super passionate about Astrobot and 4 who like Celeste and haven't played Astrobot you shouldn't put Celeste above Astrobot.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Ian was great, he had great input and was even willing concede on a game like Missing which he so dearly liked. Some people clearly got more sway in the list than others. They've said there has been heated discussions in the GT days, but so far I haven't really seen it, this year or last year. It's like 90% 3-4 people talk, the others don't.
Huh? Just because they've been heated in the past, doesn't mean they always will, nor does it mean everyone got heated in those GT discussions.

Anyway, I finally finished the deliberations earlier and am about a third of the way through the personal picks but aside from the lack of on-screen graphics, it's been fantastic. I really don't get the complaining about Ian, Kyle or whoever. I think the only moment that made me want to headbutt a wall was when Huber was talking up Kiwami 2 by pushing his wrong opinion that Yakuza 2 wasn't very good. No Huber, Kiwami 2 improved a lot of things but its story, structure and villain are great because Yakuza 2 is one of the best games in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Once again, I would like to say, Ian is probably the heart of Easy Allies. So much wouldn't get done without them. To some degree, I agree that Ian's bluntness during GOTY helped push past gridlock. Sometimes it was dismissive.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I posted my GOTY picks so I get to post them here too.
  1. Celeste - A stellar platformer with the most relatable and touching story about mental health.
  2. Life is Strange 2: Episode 1 - For a sequel to a lighthearted game this game sure has things to say and goes hard like no other game does.
  3. SoulCalibur VI - Another SoulCalibur that is at least as good as V in both gameplay and customization. Haven't spent 300 hours in it yet but I'm looking forward to doing that.
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man - The game they wanted me to play sucked, but my game of swinging and photography deserves this spot.
  5. Hollow Knight - An unforgiving game with a hostile world that is the best of its genre in both exploration and combat.
  6. God of War - A boring game with combat so good it earned its place.
  7. Monster Hunter World - The game I need to go back to the most, otherwise it would've been higher on this list.
  8. Into the Breach - A strategy game that eliminates randomness turning it into a puzzle game, I still need to play it more.
  9. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - A great Smash sequel with a fun story mode full of fan service.
  10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 4 years later and this game is still as good as ever. Great platformer with a lot of love put into every level.

To me GB's goty this year was a big step back. They go all week and only spit out a barebones web page of the winners, that was buried and had no write up for anything was nonsense. Then in said article point to their 20 hours of discussions to explain why they picked what they did? No thanks. I miss the videos, the old skits, the write ups, etc. now they took the insider discussions for the die hard fans and made it their only thing.
As much as I enjoyed the deliberations I agree.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Ian's dismissiveness really got to me by the end too. At multiple points when they were deciding there goty he said something to the effect of "I dont understand why this is so hard I only like, like, 2 of the games on this list." I get it you might not agree with the games the other allies like but theres no reason to be so rude about it.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
This thread:

"Hey Kyle, give us your opinions - speak up more during GOTYs!...but don't be like Ian!"

(I'm saying this tongue firmly in cheek, but it is funny to me how every minute detail of EZA is analyzed by the fans. Just relax, haha.)

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Ian's dismissiveness really got to me by the end too. At multiple points when they were deciding there goty he said something to the effect of "I dont understand why this is so hard I only like, like, 2 of the games on this list." I get it you might not agree with the games the other allies like but theres no reason to be so rude about it.

I think Ian's point, which seemed fair to me, was "We all know it's gonna come down to God of War, Red Dead, or Monster Hunter, why are we anguishing over whether or not AstroBot gets in over Forza when neither has an actual chance to win?" I didn't get a dismissive or rude vibe at all, and as others said they kept the discussion moving along at some points where it could have been bogged down.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I think Ian's point, which seemed fair to me, was "We all know it's gonna come down to God of War, Red Dead, or Monster Hunter, why are we anguishing over whether or not AstroBot gets in over Forza when neither has an actual chance to win?" I didn't get a dismissive or rude vibe at all, and as others said they kept the discussion moving along at some points where it could have been bogged down.

I didnt take it that way but even if that was his intention it's still very dismissive, the entire point of gotys is to decide what games are going to be there so saying who cares what games we nominate is very shitty.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
This thread:

"Hey Kyle, give us your opinions - speak up more during GOTYs!...but don't be like Ian!"

(I'm saying this tongue firmly in cheek, but it is funny to me how every minute detail of EZA is analyzed by the fans. Just relax, haha.)

EZA differentiates itself from other games media by being positive and jolly.

Being unable to list even 5 games you liked in a year jampacked with quality releases reeks of cynicism. I enjoyed the GotY deliberations but couldn't help but feel there was a weird vibe in the room, something I'm not going to read too much into because its none of my business.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Saw the GOTY deliberations and they were not as good as other years, as many others mentioned the categories are a bit outdated and the deliberations were kinda meh.

The top list was great, I agree completely with #1.

Finally, when is the studio video coming out, have they said dates?

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the GOTY deliberations and they were not as good as other years, as many others mentioned the categories are a bit outdated and the deliberations were kinda meh.

The top list was great, I agree completely with #1.

Finally, when is the studio video coming out, have they said dates?
We'll see it on January 29th.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018

Being unable to list even 5 games you liked in a year jampacked with quality releases reeks of cynicism. I enjoyed the GotY deliberations but couldn't help but feel there was a weird vibe in the room, something I'm not going to read too much into because its none of my business.
Or, you know, there just weren't a lot of games they played that were in their wheelhouse. People have different tastes. I watched basically all of it and I don't think there was any amount of disrespect towards others for liking or disliking specific games. It was certainly less contentious than some of the Hall of Greats discussions they've had.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Are you really familiar with Ian and Kyle? They were always like this. There is not a lot they like usually.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Or, you know, there just weren't a lot of games they played that were in their wheelhouse. People have different tastes. I watched basically all of it and I don't think there was any amount of disrespect towards others for liking or disliking specific games. It was certainly less contentious than some of the Hall of Greats discussions they've had.

I know many of them are part-time and not involved with game reviewing but they're still working for a gaming outlet. I don't need to finish World of Light to tell you Smash Ultimate is in my top 10. Anyways, the deliberations were still good and I hope its even better next time.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I know many of them are part-time and not involved with game reviewing but they're still working for a gaming outlet. I don't need to finish World of Light to tell you Smash Ultimate is in my top 10. Anyways, the deliberations were still good and I hope its even better next time.
Right, but if you were a person that does not enjoy Smash Ultimate, even if you acknowledge it is a quality title I don't think you'd put it in your top 10. If you played every game released this year and only had a positive experience with three of them, would you still give accolades to 10 games?

I think on an individual basis it's OK to have a more limited number of games you want to highlight...it's one of the benefits of them being an outlet with multiple people. There are other voices in the group that can fill in the void and recognize different games. Where the void can't be filled (like the puzzle category for instance), they just move on, and that's probably fine, too.

By the way, I don't mean to single you out and I definitely don't intend any animosity, it's just a comment I've seen a few times and I'm struggling to understand the point of view.

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
After a few days away from the GOTY deliberations, I think I finally have my feelings on the whole thing in place. Firstly, I enjoyed them. I consumed the 6+ hours in a little over a day, so it is clear to me that they were entertaining. Secondly, the actually Goty discussion was much more of a discussion to see who becomes a nominee in the 9 and 10 slots. This was fun to watch. It was far more fun than deciding on what game actually won. Which has led me to believe that I think the best format for my enjoyment of an EZA Goty stream would be to ditch the categories (except the "for fun" categories, ie. best pre-order) and do a true Top 10 Games of the Year. Some years (like this year) Goty is going to be almost clear before the deliberations start. I would've liked to see how 2 - 10 fell for the Allies. I think watching the Allies rank 2 - 4 would have been the type of discussion that I was most looking forward to.

This is all just my opinion, I thoroughly enjoyed the deliberations, so if they do not make any changes I will not be disappointed either.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I was very confused by some posts in this thread but today I learned if you have set a user to ignore than if someone replies to that person you will see the response but it won't include the quote. The more you know!

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
So time for a really serious dumb question:

Tomorrow, according to Jones, we are going to get some sort of video (a clip more or less) of the studio during Cup of Jones. I'm sure they won't reveal too much, BUT, should I treat it like a game spoiler and head into January 29th with a blank slate? This kind of feels like a launch trailer of a game you are eagerly anticipating...very curious to see more, but it might lose some of the impact when you see the full reveal, essentially 10 days away. To borrow a Huberism, it really does feel like the culmination of all their success is leading to this moment, and maybe it's best to go in and be surprised with a large chunk of people for the group stream.

Anyone else considering going cold-turkey for the reveal?

noah rayne

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
So time for a really serious dumb question:

Tomorrow, according to Jones, we are going to get some sort of video (a clip more or less) of the studio during Cup of Jones. I'm sure they won't reveal too much, BUT, should I treat it like a game spoiler and head into January 29th with a blank slate? This kind of feels like a launch trailer of a game you are eagerly anticipating...very curious to see more, but it might lose some of the impact when you see the full reveal, essentially 10 days away. To borrow a Huberism, it really does feel like the culmination of all their success is leading to this moment, and maybe it's best to go in and be surprised with a large chunk of people for the group stream.

Anyone else considering going cold-turkey for the reveal?
I mean, I feel like it's probably just gonna be video of some white walls, at most? From what he said, they hadn't yet built the set at the time. I wouldn't worry too much?

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I feel like it's probably just gonna be video of some white walls, at most? From what he said, they hadn't yet built the set at the time. I wouldn't worry too much?

Haha yeah, I'm not too worried. Just in general I am "media-blackout" kind of person, for all media really, and yet I found myself eager for any snippet of news on the studio and realized this paradox. Either way, very exciting times ahead!

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
What is Ian's preferred pronoun? I feel like there was a discussion about it but I can't seem to recall.

I have wondered this myself especially if he is trans, but just looking at what hes reffered to himself as and as the allies do he doesnt seem to be.

Could be wrong but I feel like with how much he aligns himself with those topics he wouldnt be afarid to let it be known

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'm weird but I probably wouldn't watch EZA if it wasn't for Ian and Kyles "cynisism". Something needs to balance the rest of them out.
And as someone who wasn't a big fan of RDR outside it's world and characters, listening to Ian shit on it is cathartic as fuck.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm weird but I probably wouldn't watch EZA if it wasn't for Ian and Kyles "cynisism". Something needs to balance the rest of them out.
And as someone who wasn't a big fan of RDR outside it's world and characters, listening to Ian shit on it is cathartic as fuck.

Yep, espeacially that last part lol.
I'm thinking of just dropping rdr2. Everything takes forever to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.