• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Yep! I've played every other MGS game, but from FF I've only played 12, 13 and CC.
Nice. I'm biased with FF6 because it was the first FF I played but it's till my favorite. The music, the characters and my absolute favorite villain. And I think MGS1 holds up amazingly well. It might be lost on some going back to it now but what they were doing regarding presentation, voice acting, camera work, gameplay was such a step up from the pack.

And it's that strong presentation that helps it hold up better than most PSOne 3d era games

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Just one full playthrough friday a month if they get a studio? Disappointing.
I hope we at least get more mini-group streams or something.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
They said it will be AT LEAST 1 per month, like Spoiler Modes. Some months will probably get more than 1.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting the guest show will be weekly, I imagine that will take lots of work and planning

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Did they mention how the studio search is progressing? Is it full steam ahead?
Jones and Blood were talking about putting the search in motion but haven't looked at spaces yet.

Bosman was hyping it up saying they were "so close" and that the studio was "imminant", maybe a lil excited lol

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Very disappointed by the full playthrough friday tier. I thought that this sort of content would be happening because of the studio happening, not because of a higher tier on patreon. Especially when we've had members of EZA express interest in doing them with a studio.

the Huber game show made by Ian is so fucking amazing though. I can't wait for that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I'm biased with FF6 because it was the first FF I played but it's till my favorite. The music, the characters and my absolute favorite villain. And I think MGS1 holds up amazingly well. It might be lost on some going back to it now but what they were doing regarding presentation, voice acting, camera work, gameplay was such a step up from the pack.

And it's that strong presentation that helps it hold up better than most PSOne 3d era games

So far the graphics in MGS1 haven't been a problem at all, they hold up quite well. The controls are definitely frustrating at times, but I'm adjusting to playing within their limitations.

Very disappointed by the full playthrough friday tier. I thought that this sort of content would be happening because of the studio happening, not because of a higher tier on patreon. Especially when we've had members of EZA express interest in doing them with a studio.

the Huber game show made by Ian is so fucking amazing though. I can't wait for that.

Keep in mind they're giving another 5-10 hours on top of what they're already doing. I'm sure if your job asked you to do that you'd want a higher tier of pay as well, regardless if it's in a new office :)

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Where are these new goals people keep talking about? I missed the end of the stream but they're still not up on the patreon?

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Did they mention how the studio search is progressing? Is it full steam ahead?

Jones and Blood were talking about putting the search in motion but haven't looked at spaces yet.

Bosman was hyping it up saying they were "so close" and that the studio was "imminant", maybe a lil excited lol

On one of the recent Cup of Jones (I think 2 weeks ago?) Jones said if they hit 50k again (would be 3 months in a row) that September would be "moving month."

That still seems too fast to me, but that was straight from the horse's mouth.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
What are y'all's hopes for the look/feel of the studio space?

I'll miss the cozy garage. The polar opposite being some sanitized digital wall / glass a la kinda funny. Keeping expectations in check, I think the average budget space will most likely be a more stained carpet / moldy drywall look.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if it is feasible, but I would love if they take the garage and set up the studio in a similar, if not identical fashion.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they have a Patreon post written up already, ready to publish as soon as they announced it? Seems very bizarre to me.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
On one of the recent Cup of Jones (I think 2 weeks ago?) Jones said if they hit 50k again (would be 3 months in a row) that September would be "moving month."

That still seems too fast to me, but that was straight from the horse's mouth.

Did they end up hitting it for July? Thought it ended up just shy. August doesn't look super promising for 50k either so the studio is still probably some months out.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Too busy and I think they mentioned that when they hit the 50K milestone they would publish it or I could be mistaken on this....don't quote me!
They should have written it sometime between the time they came up with the goals (at least a few weeks ago) and the start of Easy Livin'. It's pretty important info to have. The Patreon ticker has hardly moved up at all since it was announced.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
They've hit it 2 months in a row. Brandon said if they hit it for August, September is moving time.

Hm, guess I misremembered about last month or just read something wrong.

Wonder if there will be any push to get it to 50k in the last week of this month. Easy Livin didn't move the Patreon needle as much as I thought it might.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Easy Livin' was outstanding. Can't wait to catch up on what I missed out on.

Unfortunately funny but typical that they announce their new goals in the most Easy Allies way possible by letting us know with little fanfare at 49+ hours into a 50 hour stream and not having Patreon posts or the long awaited studio goal video ready to go. They're also not exactly giving us the hard sell on the Huber game show (which I'm VERY excited for) by not even giving us a taste of what it might be. While mystery is fun, they're still asking for 5k more per month than what they're getting right now. It kind of reminds of the Seinfeld pitch when Costanza is all excited about telling the network execs that "it's a show about nothing!"

Full Playthroughs are one of my most anticipated goals they could have announced. Unfortunately, a slight bit of steam got let out of my excitement when I heard it might only be once per month. If/when they get a studio...they're going to use it, right? I mean, my headcannon on how I hoped they'd plan to use the studio would be many of them just generally hanging out their many days of the week. This would allow them to multi-task and have plenty of relaxed streams each week/month maybe taking the place of many of the solo streams. While I enjoy the Tuesday group streams a lot, they are often too much for me. In my opinion, Easy Allies at its best is 3 or 4 of them are soaking in a game while riffing on it at the same time. Like my dream content would be them working their way through an entire story heavy series, like a Mass Effect or something similar as an example, and that would take, like, years if they are only planning one a month.

The 58k goal sounds alright, but more guests isn't something I've personally been jonesing for, but it should be neat.

Overall, really happy with the direction they are going in. I'd just kind of like some more clarity on what these and the studio goals might actually mean for them.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally they would have announced the goals, updated the Patreon and dropped the "what a studio means" video (that they've put off for months) with all that info for the youtube audience right at the start of Easy Livin' to get the momentum going all weekend but they decided to go with the lowest effort, least effective route instead. They're normally bad at self promotion but this one takes the cake imo

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Blood or someone comments on the rationale for announcing the new Patreon goals 49 hours into a 50 hour stream with absolutely no mention of it elsewhere instead of announcing it at the beginning, publishing a premade short video and Patreon post, and watching as the Patreon number goes up throughout the 50 hours. I love EZA, but I truly do not get it.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Blood or someone comments on the rationale for announcing the new Patreon goals 49 hours into a 50 hour stream with absolutely no mention of it elsewhere instead of announcing it at the beginning, publishing a premade short video and Patreon post, and watching as the Patreon number goes up throughout the 50 hours. I love EZA, but I truly do not get it.

I don't think the Patreon link was even built into the graphics displayed all weekend? It was on the schedule cards when they'd pop up from time to time, but nowhere else. As effective as they were in promoting Hoeg Law (nice work ByteSizeRick!), I think they should have at least mentioned their own Patreon once every few hours, haha. They don't make things easy for themselves sometimes, but they'll get there. One way or another.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Its sometimes pretty funny that EZA somehow does the wrong thing every time when it comes to self promotion and advertising themselves but almost always exceeds everyone's expectations with their success. I swear, they're a damn mystery sometimes.

And believe me, I wouldn't have it any other way. <3

Nov 5, 2017
I don't think the Patreon link was even built into the graphics displayed all weekend? It was on the schedule cards when they'd pop up from time to time, but nowhere else. As effective as they were in promoting Hoeg Law (nice work ByteSizeRick!), I think they should have at least mentioned their own Patreon once every few hours, haha. They don't make things easy for themselves sometimes, but they'll get there. One way or another.

I feel exactly the same way. They may have made some mistakes in taking advantage of this opportunity for more self promotion and I am sure that when the Allies are free, they do take the suggestions mentioned here and on Reddit in stride and improve their marketing.

You have to understand that EZA started only recently and these guys aren't pros at this whole Youtube/Twitch/Patreon scheme, but in time, I am sure they will learn from this mistake and others like it and become better at it.

Your suggestions are great btw.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This month is just especially important, because they've had the goal met for two months now, and if they meet it this month, a studio is happening soon; maybe even next month. If the goal ISN'T met this month? They're probably going to want to meet it again three months in a row before they get back into it. That'll set things back considerably.

So it's very frustrating that more effort wasn't put into making sure that 50k will be easily met on this important third month.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Oh my god, I love the new goals and they'll definitely get the number up but, wow, I've never seen EZA bungle an announcement this badly before. No promotion, no Patreon post, end of the stream, no studio video, nothing except for a stream announcement?

Ah well, I'm sure they'll get all of this squared away eventually. They always do. :P

Oct 25, 2017
The only rationale I can think of is them not wanting Easy LIvin' to become a de facto fundraising stream by putting so much focus on the new goals. Yeah, they directed folks to the Patreon during the stream, so why not mention the new goals; but I think dangling that carrot in front of people will only serve to create artificial growth that is exciting, but unsustainable. For me, the Studio Explainer video is a far more valuable way to get those 170,000-odd YouTube subs who aren't already Patrons to understand what's at stake. I have to imagine most of them did not tune into Easy Livin' and will remain unaware of this mythical Studio until it's made into a video that falls into their sub box.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I figure the simplest answer to all the questions is that they ran out of time, and focused on production instead of advertising. Another possibility is that they wanted the stream just to hang out, without any focus on self-promotion (especially since they just had their fundraising stream, and then their charity stream). I think them wanting to just have fun is okay! I figure, at the end of the day it's their business and their lives, and I know that it sometimes seems like there's more of a sense of urgency here than with the Allies themselves, but they're all responsible adults and they know their situation the best (and they'll act when they feel like they need to).

Speaking of Hoeg Law, I thought thought the Business Law Firm Business Law Clock was very funny. Hearing them try to recite that every hour and messing up sometimes, and also substituting Business Law Time for Pacific time were great. Best meme to come out of the stream (besides all the permutations of Jones' "hurt me daddy", which I think might be too strong for the vault).

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
You have to understand that EZA started only recently and these guys aren't pros at this whole Youtube/Twitch/Patreon scheme, but in time, I am sure they will learn from this mistake and others like it and become better at it.

Hah, they aren't that new at this. Been on Twitch since the GT days and have been making videos on GT/youtube for years now. They gotta have some grasp on SEO and how to promote themselves and inform people by now. But yeah, I agree with the sentiment you have. Cream always rises to the top, which is why EZA has been successful. It's...just...maddening...watching them have simple lay ups to give themselves an advantage and then shooting the ball hilariously over the backboard. I guess its part of what makes them so endearing, but, like, c'mon!

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Given how inobtrusive as the Sweet Justice and Hoeg Law promos were over their last two major event streams, it makes me wonder why there is no Group Stream sponsorship tier for the regular Tuesday night streams, or some permutation of a Mega Stream Sponsor for all streams during a given month. I am a lowly pleb on Patreon, but I am sure there are people in the community who would jump on that if offered.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Porky stream and man, this might be my favorite part of Easy Livin besides Easy Update. This is INCREDIBLE.

Nov 5, 2017
I figure the simplest answer to all the questions is that they ran out of time, and focused on production instead of advertising. Another possibility is that they wanted the stream just to hang out, without any focus on self-promotion (especially since they just had their fundraising stream, and then their charity stream). I think them wanting to just have fun is okay! I figure, at the end of the day it's their business and their lives, and I know that it sometimes seems like there's more of a sense of urgency here than with the Allies themselves, but they're all responsible adults and they know their situation the best (and they'll act when they feel like they need to).

Speaking of Hoeg Law, I thought thought the Business Law Firm Business Law Clock was very funny. Hearing them try to recite that every hour and messing up sometimes, and also substituting Business Law Time for Pacific time were great. Best meme to come out of the stream (besides all the permutations of Jones' "hurt me daddy", which I think might be too strong for the vault).

That part was marketing genius I tell you, marketing genius. DAT Hoeg fellow knows what he is doing with his well spent $$ sponsoring EZA! That is for sure!

Nov 5, 2017
Watching the Porky stream and man, this might be my favorite part of Easy Livin besides Easy Update. This is INCREDIBLE.

I am too lazy to search up this mythical "Porky stream" everyone keeps referencing to. Can someone please provide this lowly plebian a clip or a link to the stream where this referenced?

Thanks and L&R!

Jul 10, 2018

Thing is the Allies themselves find it really funny, they laughed at it a few times throughout Easy Livin but it probably got out of hand and/or is inappropriate. I was there for the majority of the entire thing and "daddy" must have been every 15-20 comments in chat.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Given how inobtrusive as the Sweet Justice and Hoeg Law promos were over their last two major event streams, it makes me wonder why there is no Group Stream sponsorship tier for the regular Tuesday night streams, or some permutation of a Mega Stream Sponsor for all streams during a given month. I am a lowly pleb on Patreon, but I am sure there are people in the community who would jump on that if offered.
I was thinking that too. Maybe not a clock for the group stream, but something, but I also like it just being for a special occasion kind of thing. You don't want to make it seem like you're selling advertising space.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Ideally they would have announced the goals, updated the Patreon and dropped the "what a studio means" video (that they've put off for months) with all that info for the youtube audience right at the start of Easy Livin' to get the momentum going all weekend but they decided to go with the lowest effort, least effective route instead. They're normally bad at self promotion but this one takes the cake imo

The Allies being bad at self promoting is an understatement, they are horrible at it. I know some of them don't enjoy doing it at all but once you have you own business and want to grow it you HAVE to do it.

What a missed opportunity, I watch a lot of the 50 hours and lost the announcement completely, if not for the posts in the thread I would be completely unaware of the new goals. They have to become better at this, they truly do...

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression that you guys don't necessarily get how stretched thin the allies seem to be. They are all juggling a lot of balls right now. I agree that their self-promotion is pretty poor, but I think you also have to remember that they are all taking on a lot of work as well. Unfortunately, it is one of those situations where being bigger, and having more money, will help their self-promotion. Eventually, they can hire someone to lessen the workload, or maybe even just hire someone to handle all the promotional duties.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I get the impression that you guys don't necessarily get how stretched thin the allies seem to be. They are all juggling a lot of balls right now. I agree that their self-promotion is pretty poor, but I think you also have to remember that they are all taking on a lot of work as well. Unfortunately, it is one of those situations where being bigger, and having more money, will help their self-promotion. Eventually, they can hire someone to lessen the workload, or maybe even just hire someone to handle all the promotional duties.
Considering the Allies criticise gaming companies for their promotion you'd think they'd be a bit self aware. Writing a post with new goals is not that time consuming or hard. Making a video with Jones simply reading the said post isn't time consuming either.

They got criticised for something similar two years ago when they revealed their goals during EZA live. They should be better at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.