• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am not surprised at all about Crackdown 3. It's almost impossible for a game to be good with a development cycle like Crackdown 3 had.
Mind you, reviews are subjective and going by the scores it has been receiving, "good" is what I'd say 60's-70's is.
That said, I know there are a lot of people who enjoyed Crackdown 1 a lot, so it sucks that it turned out the way it did.

I do feel for the fans of the series, but I suspect most people weren't too hyped on it any more anyway.
I think it plays into expectations and what people wanted out of Crackdown 3. For me, I wanted a Crackdown-ass Crackdown game. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and even enjoyed my time with the second, so after ~10 years of not having a Crackdown to play, this is what I've wanted for a cozy return.

If you really enjoyed Crackdown 1, chances are you'll likely enjoy 3 as well. It seems people in the industry are trying to put it on a pedestal it was never meant to be on, having unrealistic expectations for it when Crackdown is just trying to be a video gamey video game, if that makes sense.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Looks like Kyle has changed his Friday night stream this week to be Tetris 99. Time for some Victory Royales, folks! <backseatbosman>

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Mind you, reviews are subjective and going by the scores it has been receiving, "good" is what I'd say 60's-70's is.

I think it plays into expectations and what people wanted out of Crackdown 3. For me, I wanted a Crackdown-ass Crackdown game. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and even enjoyed my time with the second, so after ~10 years of not having a Crackdown to play, this is what I've wanted for a cozy return.

If you really enjoyed Crackdown 1, chances are you'll likely enjoy 3 as well. It seems people in the industry are trying to put it on a pedestal it was never meant to be on, having unrealistic expectations for it when Crackdown is just trying to be a video gamey video game, if that makes sense.
Sure, I get that. Who cares what reviews say if you like the game. They usually give an indication for the majority of the players, but obviously people can have different opinions. I am glad you are enjoying it, I wasn't planning on getting the game anyway as it doesn't speak to me. I personally prefer more realistic open worlds, think GTA, RDR or AC (even though my last AC game was Unity). I do understand why people like more chaotic (gamey like you call it) worlds though. It's just not for me (in most games).

The fact that this game was shown when the Xbox One was announced (if I remember correctly) probably doesn't help + a lot of people are looking for a new great Xbox One exclusive. My guess is that this skews expectations. Let's hope most fans are like you and like the game.

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Unravel 2 shown during the Direct.

Jones: "Oh wow. First console outside of the PlayStation?"
Everyone else: "Yeah"

What?!
I actually didn't know that either (even though I should have known because the previous one was on Xbox One as well now that I think about it).

Unravel 2 is a weird game to me in general. I really enjoyed the first one and for some reason I really don't feel like buying and playing the second one. I also don't think it looked that good on Switch (but I guess that should be fine, you don't really play this game for the looks anyway).

I was more surprised that EA released games on Switch actually. I did see FIFA 19 on the Switch store a couple of days ago and I was still surprised.
I know they stopped releasing on Wii U (and possibly Wii?).

Oct 25, 2017
I expected Kyle to play Tetris 99 at some point on stream, but I'm bummed he's switching out Chibi-Robo in order to do it. Whatever. Live your best life, Kyle. Do what moves you.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Kyle will do the whole stream on Tetris 99 anyway. Once you're the highest level in the match, people target you first by default and you get destroyed. It stops being fun until other peoples levels catch up with yours.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
"EZA Concert" in March is now called "Easy Allies Mysterious Monsters Mash". Now that sound waaay more interesting to me.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was one of the most fun endings to a podcast in a while with
Kyle's involuntary reaction and apology, Huber's own delivery and some... BODY. Little jokes that added up one after another... :D

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's been mentioned before but, after seeing Blood organise the Direct reactions yesterday, I feel he would be a fantastic co-host for Friendcode. Damiani sometimes feels like his own panelist (because he's THE expert) and can answer questions more than his guests.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
That Kingdom Hearts Spoiler Mode is the most talkative and engaged I've seen Brad ever.

Just been watching it and have to agree. It's great.

Also I had no idea that he'd actually be such a great host. Usually he tends to let others do the talking and only interjects when he disagrees or inquires further. Qualities a good host often has. No idea why I never realised that until now.

In any case, well done Spoiler Mode indeed.

It's becoming my favourite "show" and seeing as it brings in new patrons without fail I am hoping for as many of them as there are games worthy of them.

Oct 27, 2017

Also I had no idea that he'd actually be such a great host. Usually he tends to let others do the talking and only interjects when he disagrees or inquires further. Qualities a good host often has. No idea why I never realised that until now.

It's becoming my favourite "show" and seeing as it brings in new patrons without fail I am hoping for as many of them as there are games worthy of them.
Yea, really enjoy it. Just wish there was more structure. Would also love for them to get game directors like in the GOW Spoiler Mode but that's understandably difficult.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I wish Brad tried to host more, he's legit good at it. Brad in general doesn't get as much spotlight as the others, because he doesn't have his own show, but he has a lot of hidden talents.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Jones rubbed me the wrong way talking about the Activision layoffs. The concept of "is there anything about this that I can be excited about" just seems way too soon. Obviously they all expressed concern for the people who lost their jobs but now is not the time, imho of course, to be looking at these corporations with hope, but with contempt and anger.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for the "Jones hates Microsoft" comments after the Crackdown review

omg the pro strats only please comments lol

Last edited:

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Jones rubbed me the wrong way talking about the Activision layoffs. The concept of "is there anything about this that I can be excited about" just seems way too soon. Obviously they all expressed concern for the people who lost their jobs but now is not the time, imho of course, to be looking at these corporations with hope, but with contempt and anger.

Have to agree with this. When I decided to continue supporting EZA after the Colin episode last year I pencilled in the fact that Jones would occasionally raise my hackles up with his tendency toward political insensitivity and managerial group think. In the end I allowed the presence of the more politically aware members of the group to override some of my Jones ambivalence. Shame Damiani wasn't present for that discussion though it does disappoint me that I feel the discussion would have been better off had he been there.

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK

In general I wasn't a fan of the approach of finding balance in the argument. The fact that these aren't developer resources being fired, and that we might get more games out of it shouldn't even factor. They did say they weren't trying to make it sound like it was okay to fire non-developers, but I think that even discussing the perceived advantage to the public is giving ammunition to people defending and propagating this system. Love and respect is great, but there's no love and no respect to be found in a system that fired 800 people in a year of record profits.

I understand what they are trying to do (being balanced and all), but personally I think that in a world where right extremism and uncontrolled capitalism is actively ruling society, there's no room for trying to see both sides in some aspects. More strongly bringing up and reinforcing the need for unionisation would have helped, for example.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
In general I wasn't a fan of the approach of finding balance in the argument. The fact that these aren't developer resources being fired, and that we might get more games out of it shouldn't even factor. They did say they weren't trying to make it sound like it was okay to fire non-developers, but I think that even discussing the perceived advantage to the public is giving ammunition to people defending and propagating this system. Love and respect is great, but there's no love and no respect to be found in a system that fired 800 people in a year of record profits.

I understand what they are trying to do (being balanced and all), but personally I think that in a world where right extremism and uncontrolled capitalism is actively ruling society, there's no room for trying to see both sides in some aspects. More strongly bringing up and reinforcing the need for unionisation would have helped, for example.

Just as a soft counter to this. I dont think companies should be required to keep employing people they no longer need regardless of what the companies profit margins are. If a company is able to look at there books and identify 800 positions that they no longer require then they should 100% get rid of those positions.

Imagine you make shoes and are very successful at it. You start making socks and it's great for a bit but then interest in your socks starts to go away and before long your actually losing money on the socks while seeing record profits on your shoes. What would you do? Completely get out of the sock buissness and lay off everyone? Scale back on the socks and lay off a large number of people but still continue to explore the sock market? Just eat the cost of the floundering sock buissness, keeping all jobs but putting your companies profits on the line and potentially your own job as you have to explain to shareholders why your continuing to waste money on stocks when shoes are doing so well?

These are not easy questions to answer and to pretend that they are is ignoring the financial realities of the real world.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine you make shoes and are very successful at it. You start making socks and it's great for a bit but then interest in your socks starts to go away and before long your actually losing money on the socks while seeing record profits on your shoes. What would you do? Completely get out of the sock buissness and lay off everyone? Scale back on the socks and lay off a large number of people but still continue to explore the sock market? Just eat the cost of the floundering sock buissness, keeping all jobs but putting your companies profits on the line and potentially your own job as you have to explain to shareholders why your continuing to waste money on stocks when shoes are doing so well?
OK, but within the context of Activision Blizzard, they're not losing money on the socks. They're making a shit ton of money on those socks.

It's just corporate greed that's trying to maximize what is already a record profit for them without any consideration for the people who are actually producing these record-breaking profits. There's no upside to this.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
OK, but within the context of Activision Blizzard, they're not losing money on the socks. They're making a shit ton of money on those socks.

It's just corporate greed that's trying to maximize what is already a record profit for them, man. There's no upside to this.

I'm not looking for an upside. As far as I know we dont know the exact breakdown of who was fired but from what I've seen it's fair to call them support staff. The socks in this metaphor are things like E-sports. If they need to cut staff to continue to be able to justify supporting esports then that's probably the right call.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm not looking for an upside. As far as I know we dont know the exact breakdown of who was fired but from what I've seen it's fair to call them support staff. The socks in this metaphor are things like E-sports. If they need to cut staff to continue to be able to justify supporting esports then that's probably the right call.
I think if a business is failing it needs to make adjustments. But if it's booming and CEOs are swimming in bonuses, I think keeping employees that clearly are doing their jobs is the humane thing to do. We are all humans trying to be happy in this world. Having even more profit is not a justifiable reason to dump lives while CEOs get even richer, it just isn't the same as the decisions you need to make to keep a business afloat, because if that business dies even more jobs would be lost.

But bringing it back to EZA, I trust these guys to be good and kind, as I've gathered bits of their opinions that sometimes sneak in. I just think their approach to balance can sometimes take them to the realm of enabling, rather than love and respect.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Exactly lol. Next bit in the making? You can never know.

The way Jones asked to get back to it later and Kyle's "offer" definitely must have raised some eyebrows

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
To be fair if he brings an "Ian game" like Obduction (stream) your brain is gonna feel the opposite. Those are really rare though which is a pity

Status
Not open for further replies.