• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why hasn't Kyle figured out yet that you can set any youtube video to loop? :P

I hope he continues to play Tetris. I really missed the BvW streams.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Why hasn't Kyle figured out yet that you can set any youtube video to loop? :P

I'm sure he has. It is just offensive to his ears if he can hear the loop happening without looking for it, which is understandable.

So make sure to not offend if you don't want your song to end, lol

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What would you score it
With the fun I'm having, definitely higher than 5.5 lol. For example, what Bloodworth sees as stiff controls, I see as tight and responsive, similar to ReCore and Sunset Overdrive. Brandon compared it visually to a 360 game and I strongly disagree with that. It has clean visuals and a cartoonish art style that I'm enjoying. Crackdown 3 is pure unadulterated fun imo, and the multiplayer is very unique. I don't need progression systems outside of skill improvement in multiplayer to find long-term enjoyment with it.

And Blood, the Shotgun freaking shreds lol, but the range is rather limited.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
With the fun I'm having, definitely higher than 5.5 lol. For example, what Bloodworth sees as stiff controls, I see as tight and responsive, similar to ReCore and Sunset Overdrive. Brandon compared it visually to a 360 game and I strongly disagree with that. It has clean visuals and a cartoonish art style that I'm enjoying. Crackdown 3 is pure unadulterated fun imo, and the multiplayer is very unique. I don't need progression systems outside of skill improvement in multiplayer to find long-term enjoyment with it.

So what's the score you'd give it. It's easy to disagree with a score being "too high or too low". I want to get a sense of the range of disagreement we are talking about. Because the highest bar I see is "yea it's flawed but enjoyable" so if the ceiling is a 7 then we're talking like one point from the consensus. Which is nothing really

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

I don't know why you keep bringing up Sunset Overdrive, other than it being another Xbox exclusive. It may've bombed but it reviewed really well.

Everything I've seen of Crackdown 3 makes it seem like a relic of the past, from the visuals to the auto-aim shooting and that's fine if you find that really fun but a lot of people were clearly looking for more, especially given the quality of open world games available these days. It's not like Crackdown 3 is priced as a budget title either, sure it may be on Game Pass but otherwise it's the same price Witcher 3, RDR2, Horizon, Spider-Man and BotW launched at.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
That crackdown 3 review thread is wild lol. Seems pretty divisive but i have no interest in it, always looked bland from the first footage they showed.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the score you'd give it. It's easy to disagree with a score being "too high or too low". I want to get a sense of the range of disagreement we are talking about. Because the highest bar I see is "yea it's flawed but enjoyable" so if the ceiling is a 7 then we're talking like one point from the consensus. Which is nothing really
like an 8 maybe.

it's better than spiderman to me.
controls are super tight, just traversing the world is really fun.
I'd say in the 8's as well, all things considered. From a gameplay perspective I think it's in the high 8's, but there are some things holding it back like not having parties for multiplayer, multiplayer needing more modes like some that focus on getting points for destruction, not allowing 2 people in one vehicle lol, etc.
I don't know why you keep bringing up Sunset Overdrive, other than it being another Xbox exclusive. It may've bombed but it reviewed really well.
"Keep bringing up Sunset Overdrive"? I've only made that comparison once or twice lol, but I bring it up as being underappreciated in that year too.

Everything I've seen of Crackdown 3 makes it seem like a relic of the past, from the visuals to the auto-aim shooting and that's fine if you find that really fun but a lot of people were clearly looking for more, especially given the quality of open world games available these days. It's not like Crackdown 3 is priced as a budget title either, sure it may be on Game Pass but otherwise it's the same price Witcher 3, RDR2, Horizon, Spider-Man and BotW launched at.
Everything you've "seen" but haven't played then. It's hard to gauge how a game feels if you haven't played it, right? Regardless, the things you can do in Crackdown are unlike the things you can do in those open world games you mentioned. Check out some of these clips I'll quote of myself from another thread:

**Note -- Switch to HD for higher quality gifs.

COMING IN HOT!

YOU CANNOT ESCAPE ME!

Ground Pound kills feel great

And I don't think this looks like gen or outdated really:

AllImprobableBighornedsheep-size_restricted.gif

UnfitRedFunnelweaverspider-size_restricted.gif

09.02.2019_01-31-50-vy8jmo.jpg

10.02.2019_02-40-18-pwajzp.png

All-in-all, I'm having a blast with its gameplay and I strongly appreciate the clean visuals with impressive particle effects. I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise, just expressing a different opinion on what I think will go down as an underappreciated game this gen.

LegalGivingHyrax-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Feels weird that crackdowns performance on a base Xbox One was brought up, when games like KH3 are reviewed on a PS4 pro. Let's see their impressions of KH3 on the launch Xbox One...

It wouldn't solve C3s obvious problems of it being an uninspired and boring mess, but that bit where Jones compares its visuals to a 360 game kinda irks me.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
What we review on is just a matter of what we individually own. I have the X that Microsoft sent us, Ben and Brad for sure have Xs too. I don't have a Pro, so anything I review on PS4 is the base model there as well. I played Crackdown 3 on the X with Jones and saw some of the same kinds of performance issues he mentioned. I think there's value in either perspective, I just make sure we mention which console we played on if we do get into technical complaints.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do they even own one? Would love more reviews on XB1X if possible.

Speaking of, on the recent Friend Code when custom backgrounds where brought up and they weren't sure if the Xbox One had them. They've had them since 2014.
It's clear that none of them are really involved in the Xbox ecosystem this generation, some of which seem to actively hate the platform and its exclusives in general lol.

And to be clear I think it's fine. Like what you like, it's just a shame I can't get my Xbox fill from EZA.

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that none of them are really involved in the Xbox ecosystem this generation, some of which seem to actively hate the platform and its exclusives in general lol.

And to be clear I think it's fine. Like what you like, it's just a shame I can't get my Xbox fill from EZA.

Yea, I have no problem with it myself if you like certain consoles - just some comments like I listed above do make me do a double take at times.

Thanks for the explanation btw Bloodworth

-----

I hope Frame Trap shows up early today for their Patreon, would love to hear Jones go more in-depth about Crackdown 3.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Do they even own one? Would love more reviews on XB1X if possible.

When you say you would like more reviews on 1X I suppose you would want those for the technical aspect?

I'm sure you know already but Digital Foundry have got your back for all the bigger releases at least. Of the six games EZA reviewed most recently or are currently reviewing, 4 (edit: 5) titles (Metro, Crackdown, KH3 and RE2, edit: Ace Combat) have been looked at in-depth for all console versions by the british YT-channel. And they do it much better than any normal review outlet could.

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It's impossible to play a game on a console you don't own. I personally own a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X and my Xbox is basically a Forza machine (although I have turned it into a racing game machine, I also bought Trials Rising on Xbox as I didn't like the triggers as much on PS4 for Fusion compared to my Xbox 360 controller for Trials HD and Evolution).

I am not sure what next gen is going to be for me. I will happily make any of the next gen systems my main system and I will decide depending on when they release and what features/performance they will have.

I was almost exclusively playing on Xbox 360 last gen and PS4 this gen (even though I did play more games on PS3 than I did on Xbox One).
Not sure if I played for more hours as I have played a lot of Forza this gen.

I am personally not as interested in Xbox eclusives compared to PS exclusives either (except for Forza which is one of my favourite franchises ever).

While I personally don't care as much (I played RDR2 on PS4 Pro instead of my Xbox One X for example):
It's relatively clear on what the split is by watching Digital Foundry the last couple of years.
Basic Xbox One is usually around 720p, basic PS4 around 1080p, PS4 Pro around 1440p and Xbox One X around 2160p.
It differs for sure per game, but it's usually around those numbers. As far as visual quality goes it's Xbox One X > PS4 Pro >> PS4 > Xbox One.

Even without watching DF's analysis, you can be sure basic Xbox One will be a lot worse than Xbox One X graphically. Basic Xbox One seems to be getting a bit too underpowered for the last year or so.

Last edited:

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
When you say you would like more reviews on 1X I suppose you would want those for the technical aspect?

I'm sure you know already but Digital Foundry have got your back for all the bigger releases at least. Of the six games EZA reviewed most recently or are currently reviewing, 4 titles (Metro, Crackdown, KH3 and RE2) have been looked at in-depth for all console versions by the british YT-channel. And they do it much better than any normal review outlet could.

Meant for games like Crackdown 3 when they review them.

But yea, DF does incredible work.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
It's impossible to play a game on a console you don't own. I personally own a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X and my Xbox is basically a Forza machine (although I have turned it into a racing game machine, I also bought Trials Rising on Xbox as I didn't like the triggers as much on PS4 for Fusion compared to my Xbox 360 controller for Trials HD and Evolution).

I am not sure what next gen is going to be for me. I will happily make any of the next gen systems my main system and I will decide depending on when they release and what features/performance they will have.

I was almost exclusively playing on Xbox 360 last gen and PS4 this gen (even though I did play more games on PS3 than I did on Xbox One).
Not sure if I played for more hours as I have played a lot of Forza this gen.

I am personally not as interested in Xbox eclusives compared to PS exclusives either (except for Forza which is one of my favourite franchises ever).
I'm pretty similar to you. I like the Xbox controller much better for racing games, so that's what I request for multiplatform racers. Although now that I have an X and not a Pro, I lean that way on any multiplatform games as well.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People with base consoles like to have reviews that apply to them too, and it's not possible to play a game through twice for one review. No harm in some reviews being for base models only.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
People with base consoles like to have reviews that apply to them too, and it's not possible to play a game through twice for one review. No harm in some reviews being for base models only.
I completely agree with that. I think it's fine as long as you let people know which console you used (and EZA does that very clearly in each review).

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't tuned into Giant Bomb's UPF for a while, but seeing how their own studio has evolved (it looked pretty bland for a while when they first got in there) makes me think about how good 'n cozy that podcast set's eventually gonna look.
18Zy3Oi.png

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't tuned into Giant Bomb's UPF for a while, but seeing how their own studio has evolved (it looked pretty bland for a while when they first got in there) makes me think about how good 'n cozy that podcast set's eventually gonna look.
18Zy3Oi.png

I really hope the EZA podcast set never looks anything like that. If they add a few more elements it won't be the end of the world, but I hope they keep the clean aesthetic. The streaming space, on the other hand, I would welcome more clutter (in order to give it more of a cozy vibe).

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
For me they can do whatever they feel most comfortable with. I'd imagine they're currently feeling a little lost compared to the set-up in Jones' garage and already have some ideas. Sooner or later they are gonna try something out.

At least for E3 the stage will be more than 'the podcast stage'. I'd love for them to do a fundraiser and hang up some screens if they can get them in the shot with the limitations of the room and their use of camera angles.

Just don't put a million indiviual screens in front of everyone but the audience for people to constantly surf and such like it looks in that GB screenshot :P
I mean if it were Elyse I'd trust her to constantly look for material to keep the conversation going but Huber would probably check the baseball scores once the floodgates are opened ;-) Actually I don't think it would be a problem with these guys but it just doesn't look involved to me

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
18Zy3Oi.png

God I hope they never have as much tat in the background.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly disagree when it comes to the One. It's literally a defunct product that (rightly or wrongly) Microsoft has moved on from.
No it's not. That's like saying a review shouldn't happen on a launch ps4 because the slim is out there. The S is a slightly touched up version of the base hw. One MS is actively selling. In fact they're selling an Anthem bundle of the S right now.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
"Keep bringing up Sunset Overdrive"? I've only made that comparison once or twice lol, but I bring it up as being underappreciated in that year too.

Everything you've "seen" but haven't played then. It's hard to gauge how a game feels if you haven't played it, right? Regardless, the things you can do in Crackdown are unlike the things you can do in those open world games you mentioned. Check out some of these clips I'll quote of myself from another thread:
You posted twice and brought up Sunset Overdrive in both of them, so yeah, you kept bringing it up and you talked about it in the same vein as ReCore and Crackdown 3, when it's nothing like them and reviewers really liked it. Hell, it isn't even that under appreciated any more either, there was a lot of hype for the PC port.

No, I haven't played it, that's why I didn't criticise its mechanics but what I have seen and heard is more than enough to make it sound like a game that should've come out 10 years ago. And it's cool if it does things that differentiate it from other open world games but clearly that wasn't enough for the people who didn't like it. The old God of War formula did things you don't see in other games too but if Sony Santa Monica had released another one of those instead of GoW 2018 then it would've been crucified.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Saturday night mini group stream, with Kristin as well? The studio ROI one month in is off the charts!

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You posted twice and brought up Sunset Overdrive in both of them, so yeah, you kept bringing it up and you talked about it in the same vein as ReCore and Crackdown 3, when it's nothing like them and reviewers really liked it. Hell, it isn't even that under appreciated any more either, there was a lot of hype for the PC port.
Whoopie doo, a whole two times I brought up SO. Context matters. Sunset Overdrive lost GOTY's to freaking Mordor at most outlets. I mean, Mordor was alright and the Nemesis system was interesting, but it was no where near as fun as SO imo.

As time passed, the reception for SO definitely felt like it increased, which you'd agree with by saying, "it isn't even that underappreciated anymore," meaning there was a period where it was. Exactly my point, and the same is happening with ReCore, albeit on a smaller scale, just like the same will happen with Crackdown.
No, I haven't played it, that's why I didn't criticise its mechanics but what I have seen and heard is more than enough to make it sound like a game that should've come out 10 years ago. And it's cool if it does things that differentiate it from other open world games but clearly that wasn't enough for the people who didn't like it. The old God of War formula did things you don't see in other games too but if Sony Santa Monica had released another one of those instead of GoW 2018 then it would've been crucified.
The old God of War had 4 console games and 2 PSP games, so it was tired at that point. Of course they had to change it up. Crackdown had 2 games, the second of which felt rushed in some ways. Plus, Crackdown 3 improves upon the formula in several ways, like with the shimmy mechanic when climbing ledges, and it added an enjoyable, unique pvp experience.

It all plays into expectations. It was always going to be an improvement to what people enjoyed about Crackdown 1, and overall I think they delivered that in spades. It's similar to Gears 4, how The Coalition played it safe by first making a Gears game true to the formula while the sequel will try new things. I just think people were expecting way more from Crackdown 3 than what was ever advertised and shown throughout events.

Regardless, clearly it wasn't wasn't enough for the people who didn't like it. I just strongly disagree with some of the opinions out there, like when comparing its visuals to 360 games. That's just nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.