• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Do the Direct episode now, and Link's Awakening can be the next one, or hold off until there's more info.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I don't really see the point of full playthrough fridays, if they are gonna play through shorter games either way, since they are already doing work with their hour long streams the past few weeks

I was always against the idea of that being a patreon goal because it's something that should just be a product of the studio so i'm glad they're doing streams with a few of them already that aren't tied to it.
Also gives me hope the jrpg crew will make a comeback, it'd suck if they started a playthrough of a long game and just had to cancel it because of the goal. And it'd suck keeping it to only 1 night a month.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Sorry but imo 50-hour rpgs don't stream well at all and are a slog to watch. There's a ton of text which eventually WILL get skipped, everyone sitting in/ playing loses interest during prolonged random battle segments or just about 30 minutes into the stream really and what you're left with is a couple of guys talking about random stuff. For that I'd personally definitely prefer the Amateur Gundam Construction streams

The only appeal I understand is when you personally played the game and love it and want to hear the Allies get to know/gush about it , which is fine of course

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but imo 50-hour rpgs don't stream well at all and are a slog to watch. There's a ton of text which eventually WILL get skipped, everyone sitting in/ playing loses interest during prolonged random battle segments or just about 30 minutes into the stream really and what you're left with is a couple of guys talking about random stuff. For that I'd personally definitely prefer the Amateur Gundam Construction streams

The only appeal I understand is when you personally played the game and love it and want to hear the Allies get to know/gush about it , which is fine of course

Well the final fantasy 7 full playthrough is one of the best streams they ever did, and the super mario rpg streams were great while they lasted too so i'll have to disagree with that.
The best thing about them is the conversation about the game and just random things they bring up, and they can be done over a few months like ff7 was. Not every rpg is 50+ hours.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
If only the goal was for a weekly friday stream. Then different Allies could bring their own streaming projects (be it one-off or a series) and alternate and everyone would be happy..

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Damiani is the people's champ.

The idea for a Link's Awakening only episode is pretty cool, but would be better later when the game is out and Damiani, Bosman and dream guest Ben Hanson can go to town on the original and the remake, Retronauts-style. Similar deep dives on other games could also be good filler for off-weeks when there isn't any Nintendo news. So I voted for a more general Direct podcast for this time, with the hope we'll get a Link's Remakening focused episode later.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Allies not enjoying a game that sits on 60 at MC isn't indicative of them disliking Xbox or the ecosystem. Sure, it's likely not their primary ecosystem (it's not most peoples) but that doesn't mean they have a hatred for it.
You're incorrectly reading into what I said. Crackdown's review has nothing to do with why I feel that way. I never said anything about "primary," I'm talking about a lack of involvement. What I said specifically is "some" Allies seem to hate the platform, not all of them. And it's odd you throw in "it's not most peoples" too, like obviously? That has nothing to do with it.

Oct 25, 2017
You're incorrectly reading into what I said. Crackdown's review has nothing to do with why I feel that way nor does Xbox not being involved in that ecosystem. I never said anything about "primary." What I said specifically is "some" Allies seem to hate the platform, not all of them. And it's odd you throw in "it's not most peoples" too, like obviously? That has nothing to do with it.

I'm trying to negate the contention that some Allies hate the platform given the only information you provided in support of that in your post.

If none of what you said in your post relates to "some of the Allies" just hating the Xbox platform, then it seems like a weird thing to throw in there.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
If he hasn't already, Ben really needs to play Panzer Dragoon Saga on stream. I know he has a copy, and hell, I'll loan him my Saturn if he doesn't have one. lol

It's a really interesting RPG he could knock out in 15-20 hours on a first playthrough. The guys have brought it up a few times with none of them really knowing anything about it. I think there are aspects of it that especially Ben, Kyle, Bloodworth, and Ian would probably really enjoy.

More people need to see that game. I streamed it a bit a couple of years ago, but since i have basically no following I obviously didn't have much impact.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a playlist of the music Kyle plays when he plays Tetris? That RoboCop theme is insane.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to negate the contention that some Allies hate the platform given the only information you provided in support of that in your post.

If none of what you said in your post relates to "some of the Allies" just hating the Xbox platform, then it seems like a weird thing to throw in there.
Read my edit btw, you're just reading into my post wrong. Plus, I was quoting something specific regarding a misinformed comment about the platform.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I'd like that, too, but not after we just have one small trailer. We don't know enough about it to do a deep-dive.

Oh, Damiani is absolutely capable of filling an hour doing his on-the-fly version of the Gamexplain analysis machine on a short trailer, freeze-framing every second, enhancing hidden details, and extrapolating and speculating from there as he's done live on stream for similar occassions before. I just don't think the other two panelists would have much to add.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
My main hope when EZA got the studio was to see them stream more and in set-ups with more than one person. It seems that the studio is already paying off big-time in this regard. I think I watched nearly all of the ghosts survivors stream over the course of this weekend. A truly golden stream and it is exciting to think that this is only just the beginning. Cool to see Kristen on stream also. Knowledgeable, funny and a complete badass when she got the controller in her hand. Hope to see her on future streams.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
Top Ten Top Ten Numbers made me dizzy but it was edited so beautifully.
I love the weirder stuff the Allies put out, I still show people Lost in Bradslation when I'm telling them about EZA.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
The Ghost Survivor Stream is excellent. I haven't watched it all yet but it's been a blast so far.

Love the group dynamic and the interaction of the allies. Also Kristen is highly welcome. I like having her appear more frequently now that they have a studio. Great addition and her run was pretty fantastic indeed.

Personally I had been somewhat disappointed by the DLC because it's more like 4th survivor instead of letting me play like the regular game but the stream turned it around and I can appreciate it for the arcade-y goodness it has.

Before the stream I had only finished Katherine. Now I think I might give the others a shot.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
listening to Frame Trap, the hottake is eh. This is not an uncommon thing for Japanese games and late ports, it happens so often and it's clearly obvious Nintendo is having a hand in this, they don't put a spotlight on a third party game on their direct just because.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
listening to Frame Trap, the hottake is eh. This is not an uncommon thing for Japanese games and late ports, it happens so often and it's clearly obvious Nintendo is having a hand in this, they don't put a spotlight on a third party game on their direct just because.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out for it. Just like Atlus should be in this world of DLC if there's a P5 Switch port with exclusive content they don't offer to PS4 owners, even if it is paid.

I totally agree with SquareEnix being pompus too, just have this attitude that they don't even have to market their games half the time. I'm still shocked the Shadow of the Tomb Raider marketing budget was as large as it was, because outside of Lucozade bottles, I never saw an ad.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling they probably chose it because it was something the panel had passionate and different thoughts on.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, yeah they do. They literally just put the spotlight on AC3 Remastered, GRID and Unravel 2.

Nintendo would've absolutely had DQXI in their Direct regardless of whether it had exclusive content or not because even late ports of big AAA games are gets for them.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out for it. Just like Atlus should be in this world of DLC if there's a P5 Switch port with exclusive content they don't offer to PS4 owners, even if it is paid.

I totally agree with SquareEnix being pompus too, just have this attitude that they don't even have to market their games half the time. I'm still shocked the Shadow of the Tomb Raider marketing budget was as large as it was, because outside of Lucozade bottles, I never saw an ad.
Pretty sure that's down to Square Enix Europe being a complete and utter joke, from the horrible way they manage their studios and franchises to the awful (or often non-existent, especially with their Japanese titles) marketing. They've gone from disaster to disaster this gen.
But yeah, I thought Square Enix had finally turned a corner when they released the WoFF Maxima extra content as DLC on PS4/PC (even if it was stupidly expensive) but nope. It's a really shitty way to treat their fans. Though I will say that an orchestral soundtrack does very little to improve what is probably the shittiest soundtrack I've ever heard in a Square Enix game.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Uh, yeah they do. They literally just put the spotlight on AC3 Remastered, GRID and Unravel 2.

Nintendo would've absolutely had DQXI in their Direct regardless of whether it had exclusive content or not because even late ports of big AAA games are gets for them.

Pretty sure that's down to Square Enix Europe being a complete and utter joke, from the horrible way they manage their studios and franchises to the awful (or often non-existent, especially with their Japanese titles) marketing. They've gone from disaster to disaster this gen.
But yeah, I thought Square Enix had finally turned a corner when they released the WoFF Maxima extra content as DLC on PS4/PC (even if it was stupidly expensive) but nope. It's a really shitty way to treat their fans. Though I will say that an orchestral soundtrack does very little to improve what is probably the shittiest soundtrack I've ever heard in a Square Enix game.

Those were 40 second segments for those games lol. DQXI was a several minute long segment that they interrupted the direct with as they said so themselves. There's a clear distinction and the fact that Nintendo always published DQ games

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Those were 40 second segments for those games lol. DQXI was a several minute long segment that they interrupted the direct with as they said so themselves. There's a clear distinction and the fact that Nintendo always published DQ games
I am 130 hours into DQ XI and I was baffled with how much story they showed. They basically showed the first 35 hours or so of the game (maybe even more), which is insane to me (why are you spoiling such a large part of the story for people who didn't play the game?). As far as the extra content goes: I personally don't care too much, but I do think they should release the Japanese VO for free on PS4 as well. It will be too late for me, but there is no reason to not add this for free.

I do think they should probably do the same for the soundtrack, but the composer is a known asshole about his music (and other things as well), so he probably made that impossible. I honestly think they should have kicked him for DQ XI and used someone else. They have plenty of talented composers (I think the composer of Octopath Traveler would have done a better job). I think the soundtrack is mediocre to fine, but there is not enough music for a 100+ hour game and you hear the same tracks over and over. Also some of it sounds really bad because it's not recorded with real instruments. Some of it is fine.

I am glad my sister will be able to play DQ XI with JP VO as she owns a Switch and not a PS4. I do understand that they are adding some things to this release and It's fine for how long ago DQ XI came out in Japan. It does feel sucky for the people in the west and I completely understand why people are upset. I honestly would have loved to be able to play it with Japanese VO. It's for sure a weird situation.

That said, JRPGs have done this type of thing before. I believe there were some Xbox 360 exclusive JRPGs that came out on PS3 afterwards with extra stuff (I haven't played it myself, but Eternal Sonata comes to mind).

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
So? They still put the spotlight on them.

The extra content isn't being added for western fans, it's being added so Japanese fans who already own it will double (or triple) dip. I seriously doubt Nintendo possibly publishing the western release or even the spot in the Direct have much to do with the new content. Nintendo publishing the western release would probably explain why it got such a long segment though.

As a side note, I thought that DQXI segment was terrible. I've already finished DQXI, so wasting minutes summarising the first 20 or so hours of it put me to sleep.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
So we're nearing very close to almost a full year with no retros :( . I get that after the Souls thing they want to be more controlled and not announce too early but this feels like an over correction. At this point the anniversary at latest will likely be when we get a new episode but oh boy if not that def should be communicated like around right now I feel.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
So we're nearing very close to almost a full year with no retros :( . I get that after the Souls thing they want to be more controlled and not announce too early but this feels like an over correction. At this point the anniversary at latest will likely be when we get a new episode but oh boy if not that def should be communicated like around right now I feel.
I believe Jones addressed it in one of the CoJ episodes. Apparently a couple of retros are in the works, but they all got stuck/have slow progress because of one thing or another. My guess is that EZA were very busy from september until now (or March) with reviews to begin with.

I do hope for a new retro, but who knows. I do understand why they are careful with announcing and I agree that this is the way they should go forward. That said, I do understand why some people (like you) are getting frustrated with this. I personally think they can take all the time they need, but it is a patreon goal, so I get that it's somewhat more difficult because of that.

Last edited:

noah rayne

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
FYI, there's a link to get tickets for EZA's upcoming anniversary event embedded in today's Cup of Jones post, so that patrons can grab tickets earlier; the link should be posted publically on social media soon (and tickets don't usually sell out anyway). Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.