• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
Needs some help EZera. Looking for a video from several years ago where Kyle and Brandon (at the time GT) are in a gaming competition versus screw attack. At least I think I remember it being screw attack. It was like the first time that Kyle's audience learned he was great at Tetris.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Jones addressed it in one of the CoJ episodes. Apparently a couple of retros are in the works, but they all got stuck/have slow progress because of one thing or another. My guess is that EZA were very busy from september until now (or March) with reviews to begin with.

I do hope for a new retro, but who knows. I do understand why they are careful with announcing and I agree that this is the way they should go forward. That said, I do understand why some people (like you) are getting frustrated with this. I personally think they can take all the time they need, but it is a patreon goal, so I get that it's somewhat more difficult because of that.
For me depending on how this will turn out it will mostly come down to communication as it often does. If stuff got in the way and retros are delayed over the year that's ok for me personally if communicated in advance. What kinda doesn't sit quite right with me is if they're silent to the last minute of when the "patreon year" is over to come to the conclusion it's not happening.
Like it's not even about knowing what retro it is or when exactly it will show up. Honestly I feel just in general with us cutting closer it should deserve a general Patreon post just giving a general official update on it kinda like the Kyle Box Peak updates.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Needs some help EZera. Looking for a video from several years ago where Kyle and Brandon (at the time GT) are in a gaming competition versus screw attack. At least I think I remember it being screw attack. It was like the first time that Kyle's audience learned he was great at Tetris.

Looks like it got deleted? I've watched the video just a few weeks ago, actually.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I know what video you're talking about and can't seem to find it either. I wonder if it was removed during the transition into Death Battle.

Edit: Yep. :<

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Since all the old SA videos have been made private on YouTube, I see why someone could have a hard time finding those. They're all still on RoosterTeeth's website, though, if you know what to search for.

Internet All-Stars Challenge Rd. 1: Machinima's Adam Kovic
Internet All-Stars Challenge Rd. 2: Gametrailers' Brandon Jones
Internet All-Stars Challenge Rd. 3: Jesse Cox
Internet All-Stars Challenge Rd. 4: Ben Singer
Internet All-Stars Challenge Rd. 5: Kyle Bosman

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Looks like no one is winning the podcast bet this week, Metro has been by far the most popular of the 4 games on twitch since launch and I don't see that changing by podcast time.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like no one is winning the podcast bet this week, Metro has been by far the most popular of the 4 games on twitch since launch and I don't see that changing by podcast time.
I thought they were all crazy for not betting on Metro even back when they were shooting the podcast. Crackdown had no hype, Jump Force features a lot of popular characters but looked pretty bad, and New Dawn was never going to be as big as a new numbered Far Cry game would've.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
For me depending on how this will turn out it will mostly come down to communication as it often does. If stuff got in the way and retros are delayed over the year that's ok for me personally if communicated in advance. What kinda doesn't sit quite right with me is if they're silent to the last minute of when the "patreon year" is over to come to the conclusion it's not happening.
Like it's not even about knowing what retro it is or when exactly it will show up. Honestly I feel just in general with us cutting closer it should deserve a general Patreon post just giving a general official update on it kinda like the Kyle Box Peak updates.
Maybe they are planning to announce something on their anniversary, but I do agree that they probably should post about it on Patreon the more that I think about it. It's probably hard to write down an update post and not spoil any of the retros that are in the works, but I do agree that Kyle's Box Peek updates are really good and they probably can do something similar.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for Jump Force stream since I'm ain't buying that any time soon (although maybe used copies will pop up quickly?)
I actually thought Metro and was surprised when no one said it. Where's my prize?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else bouncing off of games hard at the moment? I just got finished with Prey, and felt like I was in an 'immersive sim' mood, so I booted up We Happy Few, and woof, I couldn't stomach more than an hour before giving up. Same with Crackdown 3, maybe I'm just picking duds?

Either way, Tetris 99 is placating me for the moment.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else bouncing off of games hard at the moment? I just got finished with Prey, and felt like I was in an 'immersive sim' mood, so I booted up We Happy Few, and woof, I couldn't stomach more than an hour before giving up. Same with Crackdown 3, maybe I'm just picking duds?

Quite the opposite. I'm having such a bad time with Anthem that I have to finish it to see how bad it gets and wonder how they released it like this. Much like how I had to finish The Order and the story of the original Watch_Dogs

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Quite the opposite. I'm having such a bad time with Anthem that I have to finish it to see how bad it gets and wonder how they released it like this. Much like how I had to finish The Order and the story of the original Watch_Dogs

I feel like Anthem is going to bomb Review/score wise. Reading the "Review" thread has been fun.
The staggered release of the game seems like a poor choice for me. The online discussions have been full with threads about Anthem and most of them have been on the negative side ( at least what I read).
I hope Jones will find some redeeming things for the game in his review, after Crackdown 3 he deserves something better.
For me the game does nothing, not interested, hooked, or anything. Let's see where this game is in 1 year.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I feel like Anthem is going to bomb Review/score wise. Reading the "Review" thread has been fun.
The staggered release of the game seems like a poor choice for me. The online discussions have been full with threads about Anthem and most of them have been on the negative side ( at least what I read).
I hope Jones will find some redeeming things for the game in his review, after Crackdown 3 he deserves something better.
For me the game does nothing, not interested, hooked, or anything. Let's see where this game is in 1 year.
It doesn't do anything for me either, but it's just that this type of game doesn't interest me at all.
I had a discussion over Anthem with a friend a couple of weeks ago and I said it was going to bomb hard and he was looking forward to it and thought it was going to do well.

I am torn about this game sales wise. I am a bit petty as I hope it bombs for EA as I just hate how they treat their studios when they underperform in their eyes. That said, I am very concerned about Bioware if it does bomb and I don't wish that upon that studio. I hope they don't get shut down as I loved the Mass Effect Trilogy and it would be a shame to have an other talented studio shut down because they have to use that stupid EA engine that doesn't work for all genres or all studios.

So because of that I hope it does well enough. I just don't want another closure (but it doesn't look good imo).
My guess is that it will sell well, but will have mediocre reviews and I don't think a lot of people will be playing this after half a year.

I honestly think EA screwed itself so hard with gamers that it will be tough for them to release games without any controversy or massive dislikes.
Apex Legends does well, but that's a free to play game. I hear it's a great game and I understand why from what I have seen, but I don't think it would have worked as well if it was a paid game.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Some of the reviews in progress are quite positive, one even mentioning endgame content they've played, so they got that far.

I get the feeling some of those reviews in progress will become more negative as they hit the dumb "no story progress for you until you do 3 hours of open world checklists!" part though.

Seriously, one of the tasks is to open 15 chests. Sounds alright in theory, but the chests spawn only one each in the open world or for completing world events. YOU have to open them. Not a random who helped you with the event and not even anyone in your group. So if you group up with friends to make this slightly bearable and shoot the shit while you do this boring content, you have to split the chests between you and hope some random doesn't get there first!

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

i'm in a bit of that state right now. i'm mostly thinking oh, i should play something now and draw a blank aside from some multiplayer stuff. i guess i'm mostly waiting for yakuza kiwami to unlock (today's the day!) so as to not commit to anything else big at the moment.

i've been playing dead cells on the side and it's gotten boring 6~ hours in. hit the rogue-lite part where it seems to expect me to grind for upgrades and i hate how artificial this part of the sub-genre feels.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia

M8, it happens to all of us you just have to find a proper game to play and well we happy few and crackdown are not those games, they seem really rough, specially we happy few.

If you have any backlog I am sure you will find something there...

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

I'm stuck playing SoulCalibur V and Apex Legends exclusively. I should be playing KH3 I think.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't do anything for me either, but it's just that this type of game doesn't interest me at all.
I had a discussion over Anthem with a friend a couple of weeks ago and I said it was going to bomb hard and he was looking forward to it and thought it was going to do well.

I am torn about this game sales wise. I am a bit petty as I hope it bombs for EA as I just hate how they treat their studios when they underperform in their eyes. That said, I am very concerned about Bioware if it does bomb and I don't wish that upon that studio. I hope they don't get shut down as I loved the Mass Effect Trilogy and it would be a shame to have an other talented studio shut down because they have to use that stupid EA engine that doesn't work for all genres or all studios.

So because of that I hope it does well enough. I just don't want another closure (but it doesn't look good imo).
My guess is that it will sell well, but will have mediocre reviews and I don't think a lot of people will be playing this after half a year.

I honestly think EA screwed itself so hard with gamers that it will be tough for them to release games without any controversy or massive dislikes.
Apex Legends does well, but that's a free to play game. I hear it's a great game and I understand why from what I have seen, but I don't think it would have worked as well if it was a paid game.

I kind of hope that Bioware could pull of whatBungie did and get out from under EA.
But that porbably wuold meant they loose Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Anthem.
I don't think the game will bomb but I do think it will drop in price pretty soon.

Oct 25, 2017

Happy few and Crackdown 3. Master class games. Not sure why you are bouncing off.

Try mass effect Andromeda.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Why did you choose such poorly regarded games?

You could try out 2018's GOTY, Celeste. :)

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017

Not sure. I stopped RDR2 to play KH3 but since I finished it I haven't gone back to RDR2 and I need to soon before I lose the drive to play it. I've been playing rocket league instead, also started playing overwatch again after a few months and the community is still horrible:/

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling some of those reviews in progress will become more negative as they hit the dumb "no story progress for you until you do 3 hours of open world checklists!" part though.

Seriously, one of the tasks is to open 15 chests. Sounds alright in theory, but the chests spawn only one each in the open world or for completing world events. YOU have to open them. Not a random who helped you with the event and not even anyone in your group. So if you group up with friends to make this slightly bearable and shoot the shit while you do this boring content, you have to split the chests between you and hope some random doesn't get there first!

This right here is just bad game design to me, it adds nothing to the experience other than to pad out the campaign. It really puts me off getting any game that does this kinda stuff, so blatantly too.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the reviews in progress are quite positive, one even mentioning endgame content they've played, so they got that far.

The chest mechanic is on the list of things in the "Day One Patch" where all chests will be shared amongst the party to count toward that task. The list of fixes for the patch on the 22nd is pretty staggering - so I'm encouraged that they're turning these complaints around very quickly.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The chest mechanic is on the list of things in the "Day One Patch" where all chests will be shared amongst the party to count toward that task. The list of fixes for the patch on the 22nd is pretty staggering - so I'm encouraged that they're turning these complaints around very quickly.

Yeah, it's a partial fix, but since I was soloing it, it doesn't stop a random person showing up late to the world events and just opening the chest after I've done all the work

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a partial fix, but since I was soloing it, it doesn't stop a random person showing up late to the world events and just opening the chest after I've done all the work

I mean...this is pretty standard in Destiny. Are you soloing on purpose? All activities have matchmaking...

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
It's the open world part, not a mission. So there's randoms in the world. Even if you're in a group, other randoms can show up.

Right but, why not embrace the help, haha? I tried soloing the demo and it seemed demonstrably more difficult that way and just had much more of even pacing and difficulty with a group of people.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right but, why not embrace the help, haha? I tried soloing the demo and it seemed demonstrably more difficult that way and just had much more of even pacing and difficulty with a group of people.

There's no matchmaking for Freeplay. Just missions and strongholds, so you have to have friends to match up with.

It would actually be easier if I could do a private session and not have people steal my chests! The world events are easy enough that they can be soloed.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
There's no matchmaking for Freeplay. Just missions and strongholds, so you have to have friends to match up with.

It would actually be easier if I could do a private session and not have people steal my chests! The world events are easy enough that they can be soloed.

Ahh dang! Ok, haha. That's actually good to know because I'm going to try to go through the campaign with some friends, but maybe I can use the freeplay to get my fix between waiting for them to be available during the week. I hope the patch really turns the tide for Anthem...I have irrational confidence in this game that it will persevere and become something quite good down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh dang! Ok, haha. That's actually good to know because I'm going to try to go through the campaign with some friends, but maybe I can use the freeplay to get my fix between waiting for them to be available during the week. I hope the patch really turns the tide for Anthem...I have irrational confidence in this game that it will persevere and become something quite good down the line.
What sucks about Anthem right now is that it has the bones to be great, but it's mired by some very frustrating details/mission design/bugs that make it too hard to enjoy. I feel like this was the case with Destiny as well as The Division: they're very fun, but not for very long. There's a very small part of me that wonders if the plan for these GaaS games is to intentionally overhype themselves, get tons of non-refundable pre-orders and then ride the wave of bad press for a year before coming 'round with a big redemption patch/expansion. It's FAR too common for all of the GaaS looter-shooters to run into the same problems that other games have fixed. Like in Anthem, being able to pull Masterwork weapons from world chests?? The same weapons that are supposed to be the big rewards at the end of the highest-difficulty Strongholds??? That's ridiculous, but it's also something Destiny 2 ran into (giving out raid loot as clan rewards), and they eventually patched that out.

I know it's cynical of me to believe that it's all some plan to get big launch day numbers and then leave people with a dead game for a year, but you never know. If Anthem ran into problems in development not unlike what both D1 and D2 ran into, and EA compelled them to just release it already, I could see them saying "well, we'll push through the bad press/reactions and save the game in 2020." $60 year-long Early Access/beta basically.

Speaking of, I wonder if we'll ever get a GaaS game from a big publisher that does do true Early Access: buy the game knowing you can help influence its development. Maybe it's happened already. And would it make a difference in how the game is received? Who knows.

I worry about Huber's big playthrough on Thursday night, only because I don't know if he knows what he's getting into. I think he feels bad about ragging on the game, but he shouldn't: it's a mess right now and the endgame may be exactly as sparse as he predicted.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
What sucks about Anthem right now is that it has the bones to be great, but it's mired by some very frustrating details/mission design/bugs that make it too hard to enjoy. I feel like this was the case with Destiny as well as The Division: they're very fun, but not for very long. There's a very small part of me that wonders if the plan for these GaaS games is to intentionally overhype themselves, get tons of non-refundable pre-orders and then ride the wave of bad press for a year before coming 'round with a big redemption patch/expansion. It's FAR too common for all of the GaaS looter-shooters to run into the same problems that other games have fixed. Like in Anthem, being able to pull Masterwork weapons from world chests?? The same weapons that are supposed to be the big rewards at the end of the highest-difficulty Strongholds??? That's ridiculous, but it's also something Destiny 2 ran into (giving out raid loot as clan rewards), and they eventually patched that out.

I know it's cynical of me to believe that it's all some plan to get big launch day numbers and then leave people with a dead game for a year, but you never know. If Anthem ran into problems in development not unlike what both D1 and D2 ran into, and EA compelled them to just release it already, I could see them saying "well, we'll push through the bad press/reactions and save the game in 2020." $60 year-long Early Access/beta basically.

Speaking of, I wonder if we'll ever get a GaaS game from a big publisher that does do true Early Access: buy the game knowing you can help influence its development. Maybe it's happened already. And would it make a difference in how the game is received? Who knows.

I worry about Huber's big playthrough on Thursday night, only because I don't know if he knows what he's getting into. I think he feels bad about ragging on the game, but he shouldn't: it's a mess right now and the endgame may be exactly as sparse as he predicted.

For me, it just comes down to "is the game fun to play, especially with friends?". I have the same group of guys I've been playing games with since highschool, and even though we all have families and have moved away, we still find time to play together 1-2 times per week, moreso than anything just to shoot the breeze and catch up on each other's lives. We've finished Destiny 1, Destiny 2, The Division, Borderlands, etc - games that are easy to just hop in, shoot up some guys and come back to in a week and do it again. In this sense, I think Anthem will be great for me personally, but I understand my situation is not the norm, and that the Anthem experience is undercooked and needs to improve with time.

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it just comes down to "is the game fun to play, especially with friends?". I have the same group of guys I've been playing games with since highschool, and even though we all have families and have moved away, we still find time to play together 1-2 times per week, moreso than anything just to shoot the breeze and catch up on each other's lives. We've finished Destiny 1, Destiny 2, The Division, Borderlands, etc - games that are easy to just hop in, shoot up some guys and come back to in a week and do it again. In this sense, I think Anthem will be great for me personally, but I understand my situation is not the norm, and that the Anthem experience is undercooked and needs to improve with time.
And maybe for that reason Huber might dig it, especially if Jones and Blood join him on Thursday. But I think you're right: most gamers don't have IRL friends who game and if they do, they may not all be into the same kinds of games or have the time to game together. I have friends and family who play games, but it would take a miracle to get them to play Anthem with me, so myself and others have to sort of resign ourselves to playing it as a single-player experience. Which is why it's very quickly losing its appeal for me: it's just not worth it. I'll give it another go after the patch, but I doubt much will change.

Oct 28, 2017
I was one of the "not really fussed if they get a studio or not, will make no difference to me" people.

Now catching up with the Resident Evil group stream. So much fun. God bless the studio!

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Holy cow - $51,758 - I knew we were getting close, but not THAT close to the $52K goal. If it doesn't naturally eclipse it by next Monday I'd hope they push for it.

"Become our Podcast sponsor for the month of March! Promote your business and help us fund Full Playthrough Fridays at the same time!"

Oct 26, 2017
Holy cow - $51,758 - I knew we were getting close, but not THAT close to the $52K goal. If it doesn't naturally eclipse it by next Monday I'd hope they push for it.

"Become our Podcast sponsor for the month of March! Promote your business and help us fund Full Playthrough Fridays at the same time!"

Wow. Hopefully to give a solid plug on tonight's stream and on the podcast.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Getting Ful Playthrough Fridays back as early as next month would be neat, but I'm even more happy that being close to 52k means EZA isn't close to dipping below the 50k mark. The studio has quickly proven its value to the point were it seems like enough Patreons are seriously invested in keeping it around. It's unexpected and awesome how alot of that proof wasn't in the produced content but done via streams thanks to the extra efforts put in by Ian and by Huber's RE2 crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.