• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with Ian's struggle to find the words to say when making his videos? I've seen it a few times and I'm not sure if it's just him being nervous or some kind of shtick.

Example:

I thought so but wasn't sure. Seems a bit much but if it's his thing then cool.

Thanks and Godspeed.
So, these videos are intentionally parodying poor quality instructional videos from a bygone era.
I guess it's just not my thing. Like, I get what the goal is but find the delivery to be uninspiring and a bit much. That's just me though, I just wasn't really sure if it was indeed a bit or not. If it works for some then more power to him.

The whole schtick is pretty much just a pale imitation of the "Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!". I'm not really a fan either.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After the podcast bet results, thought I'd check Mixer to see if the Crackdown 3 numbers were higher in MS's own ecosystem.

Nope. 28 viewers.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Ah yes the staggered game release….. sucks big time. On the other had he should be able to Play the game with the 7gb day '1' patch to get a better experience.

Going by the size of the patch notes it will probably be for the best. Should make for a better and more informative review. I wonder if anyone else will be choosing a female character to play as since she is voiced by occasional ally Sara Elmaleh? That will be my choice.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes the staggered game release….. sucks big time. On the other had he should be able to Play the game with the 7gb day '1' patch to get a better experience.

On PC and XB1S, performance is amazingly worse with the day '1' patch.

Going by the size of the patch notes it will probably be for the best. Should make for a better and more informative review. I wonder if anyone else will be choosing a female character to play as since she is voiced by occasional ally Sara Elmaleh? That will be my choice.

Yeah, I did. Good performance, awful script for the most part. There's some side character conversations that are quite well done, but they have no relation to the story or even missions to go through them.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The whole schtick is pretty much just a pale imitation of the "Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!". I'm not really a fan either.

That isn't actually a particularly astute observation (nor is it accurate). I can see why you would make that comparison, as they are drawing from the same well, but satirical takes on awkward instructional (and promotional) videos have been around for a long, long time. Tim and Eric's main contribution would be the level of absurdity they added to it (as well as the brilliance of using untrained actors to add another layer of strangeness to the whole formula). Ian isn't really imitating Tim and Eric here at all.

I get people not liking it, I think Ian himself refers to it as an "antiquated bit" at the beginning of the video. Still, it is a little silly to say that it is a "pale imitation" of Tim and Eric's show.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oh yes

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...y_zero_patch_bugs_megathread/?sort=confidence

**SUMMARY:** FPS has dropped significantly (30-50%) over previous patch

**BUG/ISSUE:** See above. Vsync is NOT on (wasn't on before patch either). As far as I can tell no graphic options changed. Using borderless mode. Seems worse during rainy/windy weather in game but occurs everywhere to some degree, even fort tarsus. Used to have near flawless 60+ FPS at 1440p, now I get dips to 20-30 constantly. Possibly unrelated but there's also a 1s delay on my combos detonating on my colossus when they used to be instant.

**REPRODUCTION:** Playing the game. Especially noticable in freeplay. My other friend on a Nvidia GTX 2080 Ti is also seeing an FPS drops, but my friend on a mid-range AMD card noticed no issues.

**TECHNICAL INFORMATION:** Windows 10 PC, i7 6700K @ 4ghz, MSI GTX 1080 (factory OC'd), 32 GB ram, game on Gen 3 SSD

And that's just one

Oct 25, 2017
The suggestion was that Blood and Jones would join Huber in the studio for Anthem, hence the "LANthem" comment from chat. But yeah, it hasn't been confirmed officially, since I think they're unsure of how that will work. But the schedule does say "Huber +" if that's anything to go by.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The suggestion was that Blood and Jones would join Huber in the studio for Anthem, hence the "LANthem" comment from chat. But yeah, it hasn't been confirmed officially, since I think they're unsure of how that will work. But the schedule does say "Huber +" if that's anything to go by.

Yeah, I just got to that in the group stream ha. During the RE2 stream, it sounded like Brad was debating staying at home or going to the studio and joining in. if they can get the setup working again, I assume Brandon will go to the studio, but it's also very late!

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Jones doesn't have his copy yet? And he might be streaming his first time playing tonight?

I can't remember if it was Cup of Jones (probably) or if it was a group stream, but I believe they weren't releasing PS4 codes for review until Feb 22nd. I am not sure if he will be on the stream tonight, but yeah, that would be something!

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember if it was Cup of Jones (probably) or if it was a group stream, but I believe they weren't releasing PS4 codes for review until Feb 22nd. I am not sure if he will be on the stream tonight, but yeah, that would be something!
I'm very curious to see how tonight shakes out. I'm not in the "this game is an unsalvageable mess" camp, but I definitely recognize that it has some pretty glaring faults, so I'm always interested to see where people land on the game. I go through ups and downs with it every time I play, loving the way it feels to fly around and rain elemental damage down with my Storm and then hating it because I'm trying to do a World Event meant for four people all by myself because the game has no way to tell my Freeplay randos that there's one going on where I'm at.

But if Huber & Co. have a full squad the whole time they're going through the crit path, they may have a blast. I imagine playing with friends helps to remove a lot of that friction.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious to see how tonight shakes out. I'm not in the "this game is an unsalvageable mess" camp, but I definitely recognize that it has some pretty glaring faults, so I'm always interested to see where people land on the game. I go through ups and downs with it every time I play, loving the way it feels to fly around and rain elemental damage down with my Storm and then hating it because I'm trying to do a World Event meant for four people all by myself because the game has no way to tell my Freeplay randos that there's one going on where I'm at.

But if Huber & Co. have a full squad the whole time they're going through the crit path, they may have a blast. I imagine playing with friends helps to remove a lot of that friction.

I want to watch it so badly...but I suppose I should wait. I think they're going to have a good time with it honestly. Anthem is the perfect co-op swimmin' in sevens game.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Blood chilling with the zoomed in camera during podcast halftime was definitely planned and purposefully done to be funny.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The following are the regularly scheduled shows from EZA:

Unscripted and/or long format:
-Tabletop Escapades (weekly)
-EZA Podcast (weekly)
-Frame Trap (twice-monthly)
-Friend Code (twice-monthly)
-Reaction Shots (monthly)
-Trailer Jones (monthly)
-Fiasconauts (monthly)

Scripted and/or short format:
-Easy Update (weekly)
-Huber Syndrome (weekly)
-Top 10 (monthly)

Thoughts? Any you think that need cut? Any that need retooled or rebooted? Any glaring omissions?

I think Huber Syndrome is just not working all that well. It should be retooled into a Huber-and-a-guest casual talk show. We've seen it with him talking to all the allies, and that was easily the best the show has been.

Tabletop Escapades, in my opinion, desperately needs to wrap up whatever storyline they're on and reboot it. It's by far the least newcomer-friendly show they do. If it's going to be a weekly show, they need to change it up every month or two, not let it go on for years.

Right now Trailer Jones feels unimportant because of its infrequency. It's like, oh, let's watch the guys review a trailer from a week ago, or two weeks ago, or three weeks ago, that I've already seen a dozen times and have now lost interest in. I don't have a problem with the show's concept, but I don't think monthly is really a good format for it. Also, I don't think Trailer Jones is a good name. I get that that's his Twitter handle, but what does Trailer Jones mean? Let's All Go To The Trailers was a title that made sense. You understood what that show was without even watching it.

I really wish Frame Trap was weekly. I think they could justify the twice monthly when there were four panelists on the podcast (including Ben), but now that there's three, we just aren't getting enough long-form impressions from enough of the allies.

Reaction Shots, I don't know. I mean, I guess it's basic enough (usually with just a couple of panelists) and infrequent enough that it doesn't really matter, but it's the least viewed EZA podcast by a large margin. Averages around 6k views per episode. I rarely ever watch it, so I don't have much input.

I think the biggest omission is a casual talk show. The Easy Update episodes between two allies and the Huber Syndrome episodes between two allies tend to be higher viewed than some of the more traditional episodes, and they're definitely the best episodes, IMO.

Also, really need more short form content that actually comes out regularly.

Last edited:

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018

-EZA Podcast (weekly)
-Trailer Jones (monthly)
-Fiasconauts (monthly)

-Easy Update (weekly)
-Huber Syndrome (weekly)
-Top 10 (monthly)

Thoughts? Any you think that need cut? Any that need retooled or rebooted? Any glaring omissions?

I think Huber Syndrome is just not working all that well. It should be retooled into a Huber-and-a-guest casual talk show. We've seen it with him talking to all the allies, and that was easily the best the show has been.

Tabletop Escapades, in my opinion, desperately needs to wrap up whatever storyline they're on and reboot it. It's by far the least newcomer-friendly show they do. If it's going to be a weekly show, they need to change it up every month or two, not let it go on for years.

Right now Trailer Jones feels unimportant because of its infrequency. It's like, oh, let's watch the guys review a trailer from a week ago, or two weeks ago, or three weeks ago, that I've already seen a dozen times and have now lost interest in. I don't have a problem with the show's concept, but I don't think monthly is really a good format for it. Also, I don't think Trailer Jones is a good name. I get that that's his Twitter handle, but what does Trailer Jones mean? Let's All Go To The Trailers was a title that made sense. You understood what that show was without even watching it.

I really wish Frame Trap was weekly. I think they could justify the twice monthly when there were four panelists on the podcast (including Ben), but now that there's three, we just aren't getting enough long-form impressions from enough of the allies.

Reaction Shots, I don't know. I mean, I guess it's basic enough (usually with just a couple of panelists) and infrequent enough that it doesn't really matter, but it's the least viewed EZA podcast by a large margin. Averages around 6k views per episode. I rarely ever watch it, so I don't have much input.

I think the biggest omission is a casual talk show. The Easy Update episodes between two allies and the Huber Syndrome episodes between two allies tend to be higher viewed than some of the more traditional episodes, and they're definitely the best episodes, IMO.

I certainly agree about Huber Syndrome. That show is, to me personally, a bit pointless and a waste of Huber's talent/personality. It feels a bit like a dated product at this point. The interviews he did were so terrific and at the least it would be cool to see another set of them in the studio this year.

Re: TTE I agree it needs a reboot, but every couple months is a bit drastic. IMO not everything they produce ought to appeal immediately to new viewers, it's ok to have a long running series that people can catch up on whenever they like. 2 years worth is a bit much, but the charm of TTE when it's been good is getting to know all the characters and the dynamics. You can barely do that in that few sessions.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

-EZA Podcast (weekly)
-Trailer Jones (monthly)
-Fiasconauts (monthly)

-Easy Update (weekly)
-Huber Syndrome (weekly)
-Top 10 (monthly)

More frame trap would be great, don't really care much for short form content.

Friend Code feels like it would work better if it was just whenever there was actually Nintendo news.

And yeah, Trailer Jones would also work better if it's timely.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Also, I don't think Trailer Jones is a good name. I get that that's his Twitter handle, but what does Trailer Jones mean? Let's All Go To The Trailers was a title that made sense. You understood what that show was without even watching it.

Dictionary result for jones
/jōnz/
INFORMAL•US
noun
  1. 1.
    a fixation on or compulsive desire for someone or something, typically a drug; an addiction.
    "a two-year amphetamine jones"
verb
  1. 1.
    have a fixation on; be addicted to.
    "Palmer was jonesing for some coke again"

"He goes mad for those ads, he's got a trailer jones."

Oct 26, 2017

-EZA Podcast (weekly)
-Trailer Jones (monthly)
-Fiasconauts (monthly)

-Easy Update (weekly)
-Huber Syndrome (weekly)
-Top 10 (monthly)

Ok, I'll go one by one

-Tabletop Escapades: Needs a reboot. Maybe another setting or use another RPG system? Sorry people that like it... but I missed the boat on episode 10 or something and it's really long now :(
-EZA Podcast: Bring back pro strats it's good
-Frame Trap: It's good.
-Friend Code: Still a bit undecided what it is about exactly. I kinda liked Damiani's idea to do a full episode about Link's Awakening cause it kinda defined the podcast as a deep dive but then the patreons made them go with the more basic route of comment every news stuff. Too similar to the podcast (and I don't want the podcast to lose Nintendo news)
-Reaction Shots: It's cool but feels a bit lost inside of EZA. They should promote it more somehow. It's been a long time since they've done an audio commenting movies and stuff like that.
-Trailer Jones: It's finding it's groove. Last episode focused real hard on comments about the creative process of the trailer and not about the game itself. They made these mistakes a LOT at the beginning.
-Fiasconauts: It's good and maybe it's just me but I think it's a show that grew a fan following that isn't necessarily for all of EZA. Maybe it even bring people into the community. Reaction Shots should've have a similar status inside EZA but I'm not sure if there's anything to learn from Fiasconauts...

-Easy Update: Do songs again, Ian. Doesn't need to be one each week, maybe use a full month for a song and make it goooooooooooooood
-Huber Syndrome: I'll give time for Huber to fully utilize the studio, he's not recording a bunch of episodes together anymore and he got comments back. Hopefully the green screen comes back. But it's still a bit filler and I fear Huber thinks it more of an obligation
-Top 10: I didn't want it before but now I really like it. It's gooood.

This should be a community-wide official survey and I still don't know why they've never done it.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the main channel they have a lot of content talking about games but none of them actually playing games lol.
I know they have group streams and stuff on the eza plays channel but i think something a bit spruced up for the main channel would be cool, like a cross between what's the deal with and don't skip or something like that.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I certainly agree about Huber Syndrome. That show is, to me personally, a bit pointless and a waste of Huber's talent/personality. It feels a bit like a dated product at this point. The interviews he did were so terrific and at the least it would be cool to see another set of them in the studio this year.

Re: TTE I agree it needs a reboot, but every couple months is a bit drastic. IMO not everything they produce ought to appeal immediately to new viewers, it's ok to have a long running series that people can catch up on whenever they like. 2 years worth is a bit much, but the charm of TTE when it's been good is getting to know all the characters and the dynamics. You can barely do that in that few sessions.

No thank you. I want Huber Syndrome to be exactly as it is. The interviews were fine but the show is meant to be Huber himself getting hype and talking about a specific subject for a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.