• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
maybe more strategic?

Less in my opinion. Thanks to hiding the amounts, both Noah and Bosman were able to make some great plays, maximizing their items, to get the kill while still picking the easiest question that would secure the kill.

It's the only element that isn't just a pure numbers game. I'd hate to see them get rid of it.

On the elegance, if they had the budget for it, it would probably make most sense to get a smaller monitor for each player that only they can see, which gives them a private feed. As I understand the game is built in Unity, which supports up to 8 screens from 8 cameras out of the box. However there's also the recording aspect as well. It would be a pain in the arse to record all the different camera shots, the main game screen, AND 3 additional screens.

I think the simplest solution would be some sort of fun prop. Each player could have a stick with a small panel on the end, like a fan, that they have to put in from of their face whenever another contestant is using analyse. They could call it "Mysterious Myst" clouding the eyes of the contestants, or something equally thematic.

In terms of gameplay, I think being able to analyse for free is too OP. Bring the upfront cost of the Analyse items down and then have the items reduce the cost, not negate it entirely.

I also think it might be fun if, at the end of Round 2, players had the opportunity to Sell any of their items (shop bought only, no Lucky Loot items) back to the Shop for a small amount of gold. I think it would add a fun amount of strategy going into the final round., especially if it's a close race up to that point.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will Kyle Bosman reveal himself?

Less in my opinion. Thanks to hiding the amounts, both Noah and Bosman were able to make some great plays, maximizing their items, to get the kill while still picking the easiest question that would secure the kill.

It's the only element that isn't just a pure numbers game. I'd hate to see them get rid of it.
Hmm maybe you're right. Just seems a little superfluous when I see people analyzing almost every round anyway.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I enjoyed the latest Mysterious Monsters. However, Hyper Strikes and Double Damage tokens both offer too much benefit with little to no risk within the current rules.

My suggestions would be:
  1. Have only one Hyper Strike and make it only available in the shop for a high price (100g?). A player could opt to pay up and get it first for safety or play boldly and keep their gold and hope they don't need it.
  2. Require Double-damage tokens to be used when selecting a monster rather than after a question is given. That way, if you think you're good in a particular category, you can try using the double damage token. It'll either pay off big or your damage rebounds increasing the risk/reward. Within the current rules, it's almost impossible to take double-damage because you can safely avoid using the token until after you have heard the question.
  3. Don't allow the Hyper Strike and Double-Damage tokens to be combined. Make it either one or the other.
  4. Limit lucky loot drops to one per player to speed up gameplay and reduce items. However, this one isn't as important if you remove the Hyper Strike from the Loot Drop pool.
  5. Lastly, for fairness, require players to hold the axes in round three with both hands correctly.
They've probably already recorded several more episodes but these are some ideas to ponder for the future.

I think the combined hyper strike and double damage is fine, it just needs to be a really rare combo and not something we see 2-3 times per episode. If they want to keep it more common, instead of it being something you can activate after seeing a question, perhaps hyper strike has to be announced when you select a monster and the part you hit for free is random much like your suggestion for double damage.

The one change to magical monsters I would make is add a jeopardy style ability to bet your gold on the final question, or make the final question worth more the closer you are to the correct answer. Kyle rightfully ruined the finale by saying "I can't win now" because of how the final round scoring works and he was absolutely right.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of gameplay, I think being able to analyse for free is too OP. Bring the upfront cost of the Analyse items down and then have the items reduce the cost, not negate it entirely.
Haven't had chance to watch the latest episode yet, but assuming it's unchanged from the first episode and the live show I really think they need to change the free analyse item.
Once you get it there's no reason not to use it every turn and it then it just seems dumb and tedious having to ask the other players to turn around every time that person uses it. Either it should be nerfed so even with the item you still don't want to analyse every turn, or have a better way of showing one player the target numbers. Like change the item into a bestiary and have the prop be a book where each episode they put a piece of paper in it with the target numbers for each monster, then if someone buys the item and uses it they just look inside the book.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Fun episode of Mysterious Monsters. Noah did pretty well and I love how Kyle still lost at the end, despite getting everything right. It would be great to see him never win an episode.

I know they already shot the first three episodes but I hope for the next batch they can work out some of the kinks in the game itself and other stuff, like Huber looking at and pointing to the wrong camera throughout the episode.

Either way, it's the best thing the Allies did in a long time and for me, personally, it's actually the first time seeing that the studio is truly worth it in terms of content production. It really sets them apart from other channels for me and hopefully puts more eyes on them down the line.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe have Huber look over the questions beforehand so he doesn't have to look around foolishly mid-game when he can't pronounce a word or doesn't understand what the question is asking.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe have Huber look over the questions beforehand so he doesn't have to look around foolishly mid-game when he can't pronounce a word or doesn't understand what the question is asking.

The questions are random but maybe they could be randomly selected before the match actually begins. So Huber could look at the selection before. It adds a bit of complication and a process to it but it's in the realm of possibility...

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

While I do find the flubs pretty endearing, I think Huber should maybe quickly look over the questions before the show. That or they need to give him an earpiece so they can help him out if he is struggling. Hell, they could even have him re-read the question. It isn't like it is a live recording. They could do a quick and dirty second take.

I think this is one of those wrinkles that will be smoothed out over time.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Early into the Dreams group stream I was feeling really down on it. Especially those beyond-janky body movements. But some of the stuff later in (especially Shifting Islands) really gave me hope for the months ahead.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
This might be my new favorite reaction, haha. It's so perfect!
giphy.gif

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Early into the Dreams group stream I was feeling really down on it. Especially those beyond-janky body movements. But some of the stuff later in (especially Shifting Islands) really gave me hope for the months ahead.
Yeah, not sure if day one of early access was the best choice, but maybe it'll turn a few more people onto it.

Vengerberg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A limit of 1 item use per question would easily fix all of the quiz' balancing problems.

(PS I like the quiz a lot by the way, L&R)

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I forget the name of it but that one RPG Maker Fes game sponsor on Frame Trap puts an incredibly high bar on itself. Like if it doesn't end up creating world peace and being a defining moment in human history it'll be majorly underdelivering.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
But my point is, should it hide the difficulty of the questions? What for? I don't really get the idea behind this mechanic. And honestly it's fairly inelegant that other players have to literally turn around when one of them has the power to see the hit points anyway. I think if they streamlined this bit the show would be snappier and maybe more strategic?

So from a 'Game show' point of view, the hidden difficulties makes sense, as you want to ensure there is a mix of difficult questions and easy ones in an episode. If the values were shown, you'd likely only have contestants going for higher values OR lower values, nobody would mix them purposefully. If on a Jeopardy board the category was locked after 3 of the questions had been asked in it, you wouldn't get players picking a variety of difficulties, they'd just go for the 3 biggest earning Qs. I agree with you that the turning around is a little inelegant, but there is a good reason for having the hit points hidden :)

#12,751

This is definitely a style choice, Huber will have been offered the questions to be written phonetically.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
So with information about the specs being out there, how many waffles is the PS5?
The rumors are saying 500 waffles and that they are taking a 100 waffle loss on the machine.
Which still seems low to me as a 2TB SSD on PC is already 300+.
But who knows. They obviously get a lower price for the amount of hardware they are going to "order".

I honestly think they came out with this info because they already made a deal with wired and some info leaked a couple of days ago (which makes it probably correct even though it was put on pastebin). So they had to come out with this stuff before more stuff got leaked. It felt rushed to me as it came out of nowhere with no real other reason to come out with this info at this time. My guess is that they wanted to release this a little bit closer to E3.

I am honestly more hyped for PS5 because of this. I will still make my decision on what is my main console based on both new consoles, just like I did this gen, but Sony would have a step over Microsoft if PS5 is indeed backwards compatible because of all the PS4 backlog I have. I suspect we will know a bit more about Microsofts console at E3.

Last edited:

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
So with information about the specs being out there, how many waffles is the PS5?
No one knows because we don't know the specs yet.

He wasn't. Exactly. Go back and watch that first Salmon Globe ad again.

In case other people don't want to sift through a 32-minute video without timestamps.

https://youtu.be/kQfnE4fn-i8?t=1028

That's cute and a shame because it does look super amateur, much like Huber fumbling the questions. I can't wait for episode 4-6, though.
It's already a super fun show and it only can get better. I'm still laughing when I think about Noah crushing Bosman. Excellent job, noah rayne.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, about the new podcast

Listening to ______ Feels Himself on the audio podcast, without having seen the video, with headphones on, following the innuendo from earlier in the episode... uh, it's a weird experience.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The podcast discussion about back comp on the ps5 is super weird. I think they will just slap stickers on ps4 cases that say "also works on ps5!" Its possible they might make cases that have a ps4 and ps5 banner at the top but that would probably just cause more confusion.

If you put a ps4 version of a game in a ps5 and theres a ps5 version of the game available I imagine whatever ps5 enhancements are available will just be applied with a patch. I'm pretty sure that's how it works with some xbox one games now when you out them in an xbox one x.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
The podcast discussion about back comp on the ps5 is super weird. I think they will just slap stickers on ps4 cases that say "also works on ps5!" Its possible they might make cases that have a ps4 and ps5 banner at the top but that would probably just cause more confusion.

If you put a ps4 version of a game in a ps5 and theres a ps5 version of the game available I imagine whatever ps5 enhancements are available will just be applied with a patch. I'm pretty sure that's how it works with some xbox one games now when you out them in an xbox one x.
I think so too. All PS4 games will just look better on PS5 just as they do on PS4 Pro as long as they are created with PS4 Pro in mind. Games that are older (and weren't created with PS4 Pro in mind) will just run the same as the original PS4 (just as on PS4 Pro). Loading times will still be better.

With the midgen PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, most devs started to create their games to use stuff like dynamic resolution and things like that and those will just look better on PS5 because there is more power available. If devs are smart they have created their games like that for a couple of years now and those games should in principle look better (to a degree) as long as Sony or MS keep using x86 CPU's for all their upcoming consoles.

I think cross gen games will just work on both. I am not convinced there will be 2 versions of the same game even, just a box which mentions both. It would save them money to only print one box/version of the game.

If they are programmed correctly it should just work on both PS4 and PS5. Those consoles are PCs after all. There are no separate PC versions for AMD and Nvidia GPU's or Intel/AMD CPU's either.

The reason why a some old games don't work well with modern computers has more to do with the changes to Windows than with hardware, so as I don't see why games (PS4 and up and Xbox One and up) can't be Backwards Compatible for the foreseeable future as long as Sony and MS are not actively blocking them to be Backwards Compatible.

Last edited:

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017

There is some precedence for this, actually

s-l1000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.