• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I've been catching up on Cup of Jones today (haven't finished this week's yet), and it reminded me of the recent tour Gamers Nexus did of Linus Sebastian's studio. He talked a bit about what it's like to invest in a studio, and I think it's highly applicable to what EZA is going through right now:

It's around 16:30 if the timestamp doesn't work.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I think so too. All PS4 games will just look better on PS5 just as they do on PS4 Pro as long as they are created with PS4 Pro in mind. Games that are older (and weren't created with PS4 Pro in mind) will just run the same as the original PS4 (just as on PS4 Pro). Loading times will still be better.

With the midgen PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, most devs started to create their games to use stuff like dynamic resolution and things like that and those will just look better on PS5 because there is more power available. If devs are smart they have created their games like that for a couple of years now and those games should in principle look better (to a degree) as long as Sony or MS keep using x86 CPU's for all their upcoming consoles.

I think cross gen games will just work on both. I am not convinced there will be 2 versions of the same game even, just a box which mentions both. It would save them money to only print one box/version of the game.

If they are programmed correctly it should just work on both PS4 and PS5. Those consoles are PCs after all. There are no separate PC versions for AMD and Nvidia GPU's or Intel/AMD CPU's either.

The reason why a some old games don't work well with modern computers has more to do with the changes to Windows than with hardware, so as I don't see why games (PS4 and up and Xbox One and up) can't be Backwards Compatible for the foreseeable future as long as Sony and MS are not actively blocking them to be Backwards Compatible.
There is some precedence for this, actually

s-l1000.jpg

I vaguely remember seeing those game boxes now. Another thing I forgot about until it was brought up on another podcast was how you could put certain ps3 disks in your ps4 and then buy the ps4 version for like $10. You still needed to put the ps43 disk in to launch the ps4 version. Black flag was one of the games that did that. I hope nobody is crazy enough to try to charge money for that this time around.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The allies have been adding a steady stream of merch to there shop lately. Ian just added a couple tank tops since rinnerson asked for them on Twitter.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Hey just caught up with tabletop escapades. There hasn't been any episode since the 27th. What happened?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I vaguely remember seeing those game boxes now. Another thing I forgot about until it was brought up on another podcast was how you could put certain ps3 disks in your ps4 and then buy the ps4 version for like $10. You still needed to put the ps43 disk in to launch the ps4 version. Black flag was one of the games that did that. I hope nobody is crazy enough to try to charge money for that this time around.
That was a cool initiative at the time but I wouldn't worry about that. That was them selling an entirely separate version of their games for cheap as an olive branch for PS3 owners, not what is essentially the same exact build but with different settings like we're expecting from cross-gen games next gen.

Also, I think the combined XB1/360 cases are ugly, so I'm hoping Sony doesn't do that. Just print separate box art/cases but include the same disc in both. They can throw a (no residue) sticker on the case if they need to advertise backwards compatibility.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Like I said in the YT comments, as soon they mentioned Hotline Miami I was jolted into adding the game to my Wishlist. That's all truly needed. Watching the newest video, I totally understand what the game is going for and I'm in.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Great discussion on this weeks Political Podcast on the history of colonization and the relation to modern Ubisoft open worlds.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Bosman has a hell of a hottake on the "abortion minute" segment for this week's political podcast as well. Even I was shocked.

Dangle

Oct 25, 2017
I take it they opened up more slots for the Political Podcast tier on Patreon seeing all these comments about it. Glad they found an outlet for that stuff!

Oct 26, 2017
I gotta say, I like "It's EZ to like Anime" way more than the original "It's OK to Like Anime"

It's on brand and way more positive. And nice logo.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I gotta admit, I was so curious for the Political Podcast that I paid the 10k and bailed out before the 1st of the month, so that I basically get it for free. Little did I know that they charge immediately for that tier. Now my life is ruined, but at least the podcast was pretty good.

Deimo5

Oct 25, 2017
Could they do more on the spot trailer reactions and then Trailer Jones whenever that comes out. The potential audience is pretty different.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, Jones and Ben both put the most time into Octopath of the allies I believe. (maybe Brad)
It shows the UE4 logo every time you start it up lol

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly all my games i've played on switch have been without anything else being played, for months lol.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Dang, Jones and Ben both put the most time into Octopath of the allies I believe. (maybe Brad)
It shows the UE4 logo every time you start it up lol
I have only put in 40 hours or so into Octopath (it's possible I will go back to it, but I got tired back then of grinding for 20 or 30 levels for the next party member to do his story part after doing that a couple of times already for other party members), but I do close my games each time and I didn't remember the UE4 logo either. They have played a lot of different games after they played Octopath, so I can totally see how they don't remember that logo.

I usually don't know on which engine a game is made. I like hearing about it, but I usually don't really care too much as long as it runs well. I usually turn my mind off when I see the same logo's pass by when I start a game and just ram on the X or A button until they are gone.

I usually also keep playing a game until it's done, although I do jump around a bit more the last couple of years. I usually only play one game at a time per system.
The exceptions are games like Forza which I do play once or a couple of times a week (usually for half an hour or so for the daily challenges) or games that I play while listening to podcasts (eg. at the moment, Trials Rising, SoulCalibur VI, Forza, ...).

Oct 26, 2017
Could they do more on the spot trailer reactions and then Trailer Jones whenever that comes out. The potential audience is pretty different.

I've been down this road before when the second Detective Pikachu Trailer came out and evidently the Allies just don't want to do spot trailer reactions. They have gotten really good at reacting to more directs and their like though.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017

Boardgames with Ian over Skype Patreon tier...when?

(Board games are awesome - Ian, if you like Azul you might like "Patchwork" by Uwe Rosenberg. And once you get past that, you can get the rest of his games that are increasingly complex, eventually reaching "A Feast for Odin".)

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Saw this in the Dreams thread. Apologies if it's already been posted here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is good fun, especially if you're a Holmes fan

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit is Damiani good at games or what!

In Sekiro he killed a tough mini boss first try then subsequently without resting he killed a somewhat tough boss with very few healing items left first try too.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I enjoyed Ian's video. I've never played a ton of board games outside of mainstream/children's stuff (tabletop gaming has mostly just been CCGs for me), so this was interesting to see. I hope Ian is doing alright.

The Box Peek Dreams game is pretty great. It would be cool to see the team try it out.

Lots of content to catch up on for me. I'm sure it will be slow at work today, so I'll be watching a lot of stuff...If they ever need a tech guy or community manager, I'd be willing to move to LA to get out of this job. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.