• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hi there

giphy.gif

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Damiani should not be allowed to host Friend Code. He just jumps straight into the deep end of the rumor mill, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Damiani should not be allowed to host Friend Code. He just jumps straight into the deep end of the rumor mill, lol.
It's one of my biggest gripes with the show: the vast majority of the time, Nintendo news is actually just rumors of impending news and it doesn't make for my kind of show. If it was just a fan-cast like some of the older ones were, highlighting older systems, games or franchises, I might be more onboard, but as the audio version of ResetERA Nintendo Rumors thread, it's not for me.

Also, welcome back to the Avenged. Please don't spoil where you've been lest you also accidentally spoil Endgame.

HylianScribe

Oct 27, 2017

Last episode:
Cuphead impressions
Joker/3.0 impressions
Nikkei report (rumors, but they and WSJ have been pretty much right on everything involving hardware for the past decade regarding Nintendo)
Reggie's Tweet (confirmed to be a tease, but guessing at what it is would be speculation)
Tencent Helping Nintendo Launch Switch in China
3/5 topics which dominated the majority of the episode are news/impressions. Part of 1/5 is speculation. The other 1/5 is speculation based on credible reports. Also, I do provide time codes, you can just skip the speculation.

It's one of my biggest gripes with the show: the vast majority of the time, Nintendo news is actually just rumors of impending news and it doesn't make for my kind of show. If it was just a fan-cast like some of the older ones were, highlighting older systems, games or franchises, I might be more onboard, but as the audio version of ResetERA Nintendo Rumors thread, it's not for me.

Episode before last - mostly all speculation, but it was related to the most talked about things that week and virtually every major site was covering them (New Switch Models, Monolith Soft Hiring for Zelda, Best Buy online listings)
Episode before that one - Nindies Spring Showcase (all news) + Blood's impressions of some of those games from GDC
Episode before that one - Reggie Fils-Aime retiring and sharing our memories about Reggie, Capcom's pricing for its upcoming RE ports, and Sakurai's work ethic with Smash
Episode before that one - Pokemon Sword and Shield announcement (all news, some speculation as expected)
Episode before that one - February Nintendo Direct (all news)

I'm not sure if the Switch model rumors dominating headlines for like a month now (and still going with the newest report, which will be discussed on next week's episode) is making you feel the way you do (about the show mostly being rumors/speculation, which it isn't), or the Smash rumors for most of last year being around so much, but a lot of people find them interesting, as do I.

Last edited:

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I like the discussion of rumors as much as I like discussing news. Even more so when there is a good basis for the rumors.

It's a very interesting exercise to me to fill the inevitable information gaps of rumors and when they do come true (or not) you gain some insight into the decision making process of the company or studios.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I like the discussion of rumors as much as I like discussing news. Even more so when there is a good basis for the rumors.

It's a very interesting exercise to me to fill the inevitable information gaps of rumors and when they do come true (or not) you gain some insight into the decision making process of the company or studios.
Me too. I honestly think the balance of Friend Code is fine as is. Major news gets covered and some of the rumors as well (I never got the feeling it was all rumors) .

It seems logical to me that they cover rumors if there isn't other news to speak of (or if they are juicy rumors).
I don't see anything wrong with that as long as it's clear they are talking about rumors when they do.

Edit:
Btw, I started watching Friend Code just to give it a try and I didn't really expect to keep watching it until I realised I was really enjoying it.
I wasn't the biggest Nintendo fan and my last Nintendo product was a Gameboy Pocket.
I stuck around because I enjoyed the show. Nowadays I own a 2DS XL and a Switch as well, but I enjoyed Friend Code a lot without being Nintendo focused myself, so Damiani does a good job imo. I don't think you need to be a Nintendo fan to enjoy the show.

Last edited:

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Friend Code has grown on me massively. I'm not that big on Nintendo personally but Damiani's ability and willingness to talk through rumours in a realistic way while still feeding the hype is great.

Also always good insight on the business side too.

Kyle's NPR voice on the new podcast is terrifying

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Discussing rumors and getting hyped is one of the best parts of the Nintendo community. There's no way you could do a show about Nintendo and not take part in that. I enjoy the show a lot, and I like the format Damiani put in place.

In general rumors are super exciting to me, so I don't have any problem with listening to discussions about them.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
I have said this before on these pages and will say it again: one of my favourite things about EZA is seeing the work, care and thought that Damiani has put into improving himself as a podcast host and Friend Code as a show. Indeed my only remaining issue with Friend Code was its fortnightly nature but Damiani has also fixed that by deciding to do an extra show when needed. Part of me will always be Nintendo and I also listen to NVC and GameXplain's Real Talk. On both podcasts they also talk about rumours because that is a part of following Nintendo. Life would be very stale if you could only talk about future developments from Nintendo only after Nintendo had broken the news.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I have said this before on these pages and will say it again: one of my favourite things about EZA is seeing the work, care and thought that Damiani has put into improving himself as a podcast host and Friend Code as a show. Indeed my only remaining issue with Friend Code was its fortnightly nature but Damiani has also fixed that by deciding to do an extra show when needed. Part of me will always be Nintendo and I also listen to NVC and GameXplain's Real Talk. On both podcasts they also talk about rumours because that is a part of following Nintendo. Life would be very stale if you could only talk about future developments from Nintendo only after Nintendo had broken the news.
Yeah, it's really nice to see someone grow like that, since I'm sure it's hard to separate the useful feedback from the chaff. Ben underwent similar changes. Proud of 'em.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
As someone who doesn't care about Nintendo or any of their IPs, other than Zelda, the rumor and speculation talk on Friend Code still makes it really interesting and entertaining for me. Huge props to Damiani for that.

And yes, he has grown massively as a host, being pumped and bringing the energy. It's lovely to see that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if the Switch model rumors dominating headlines for like a month now (and still going with the newest report, which will be discussed on next week's episode) is making you feel the way you do (about the show mostly being rumors/speculation, which it isn't), or the Smash rumors for most of last year being around so much, but a lot of people find them interesting, as do I.
I think it's probably that I don't listen to every episode, so the ones I have listened to have fallen more in line with that (or that's my biased perception). My tipping point was the conversation about the mobile Mario Kart game when it was pure speculation on what the game could be like without any evidence and I was onboard for a lot of it, but I also kept saying to myself "man, this isn't going to be as cool." It's fun to speculate, but I think for me, I have to take a step back.

I appreciate you addressing this for me. I did listen to the Reggie retirement episode and enjoyed that discussion a lot, and I do really enjoy those grounded discussions, but I tend to not rush to watch or listen to the show as much as I used to because of how I've felt. Again, I get it if people love it and I'm all for you giving people what they like. Just a personal preference on my part.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I've liked most friend codes, but I'd like for them to do episodes like the earlier ones. Or have a discussion about older games and what they think about, like a semi analysis but more laid back or something. They were gonna do that with Link's Awakening and will probably do it later, but I hope to see more of that stuff.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've liked most friend codes, but I'd like for them to do episodes like the earlier ones. Or have a discussion about older games and what they think about, like a semi analysis but more laid back or something. They were gonna do that with Link's Awakening and will probably do it later, but I hope to see more of that stuff.

I do like those, but I say that if there is news and rumours to dig into, dig in baby

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I like most about Friend Code is the amount of pride Damiani puts into it. He has been on the forefront of Patron involvement, shaping his podcast around the questions they submit. From the addition of his shelf to display memorabilia, to having Don edit in b-roll, he's really trying to differentiate his show from the other podcast offerings of EZA, and I appreciate that. The nature of the show is always going to fluctuate on content, and sometimes things are a bit of a stretch, but the commitment is there and each episode always has a nice relaxed nature to it.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I like most about Friend Code is the amount of pride Damiani puts into it. He has been on the forefront of Patron involvement, shaping his podcast around the questions they submit. From the addition of his shelf to display memorabilia, to having Don edit in b-roll, he's really trying to differentiate his show from the other podcast offerings of EZA, and I appreciate that. The nature of the show is always going to fluctuate on content, and sometimes things are a bit of a stretch, but the commitment is there and each episode always has a nice relaxed nature to it.
This is really well put. Damiani really does do great work on these, even if I don't always love the discussions. I should give him more credit. Thanks HylianScribe.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
But seriously, does Borderlands and Team Fortress 2 occupy the same cubby hole for anyone else?

Nah. One is a competitive round based game with pretty rigid classes. The other is a multiplayer optional co-op RPGfps with a ton of gun variety and charecter classes that are fairly customizable. They have next to nothing in common in my head

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
No, mostly because one is a joyous game I spent 1,200 hours in and the other has Claptrap that makes me wish I was born without ears.
Nah. One is a competitive round based game with pretty rigid classes. The other is a multiplayer optional co-op RPGfps with a ton of gun variety and charecter classes that are fairly customizable. They have next to nothing in common in my head
I'm just crazy. Okay then.
qqmwMp5.png

Oct 25, 2017
But seriously, does Borderlands and Team Fortress 2 occupy the same cubby hole for anyone else?
Maybe a little. I played probably 2 hours total of Team Fortress 2 in the Orange Box, but I finished Borderlands and played enough Borderlands 2 and I can kinda see how they share similar attitudes (co-op, cartoony, humorous, etc.), but I don't see them occupying much of the same space outside of some superficial comparisons.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
"Brad I know a lot about Grimace lore" - Kyle on the podcast

......Are any of you prepared for THE DEEPEST LORE? 2008 lvl headphone user warning

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What. Ridiculous. Friend Code has become one of my favorite shows of EZA. There is way more post editing than even the official podcast. We have asked so many times for b-roll on the podcast and it seems impossible, so i'm glzd Damiani does it for Friend Code. The intergration of the Patreon questions is really great aswell.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why Kyle expected to jump into Dreams and start creating everything he wanted to without any resistance or difficulty. It's almost like game development/3D modeling is hard or something.

I'll concede: it is frustrating to learn, but it's also doable if you put in the time. It may not make a great stream, but he didn't need to rag on Dreams simply for being a bit more complex (and naturally more opaque) than a game where creating characters is basically the only thing it needs to do.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Not sure why Kyle expected to jump into Dreams and start creating everything he wanted to without any resistance or difficulty. It's almost like game development/3D modeling is hard or something.

I'll concede: it is frustrating to learn, but it's also doable if you put in the time. It may not make a great stream, but he didn't need to rag on Dreams simply for being a bit more complex (and naturally more opaque) than a game where creating characters is basically the only thing it needs to do.
Yeah doesnt super Mario maker do something similar by withholding things until you level up? Sure it is much easier than Dreams cause all you're doing is a 2D super Mario level, but that was to be expected

Oct 27, 2017

Where did he complain about Dreams?

Honestly, its quite easy if you do all the tutorials.

Oct 25, 2017
Where did he complain about Dreams?

Honestly, its quite easy if you do all the tutorials.
He kept ribbing it on his Friday night stream, even making fun of the Dreams's tutorial guy's voice while reading the tutorial for Graffiti Kingdom.

And he says he's done all the tutorials. He mostly doesn't care for sculpting, it seems, so he decided that since he couldn't craft the elaborate Digimon rip-offs he drew as a kid, he's abandoning the game altogether, and will instead make a GameBoy game.

Yeah doesnt super Mario maker do something similar by withholding things until you level up? Sure it is much easier than Dreams cause all you're doing is a 2D super Mario level, but that was to be expected
No, Dreams doesn't limit what tools you can use at first like Mario Maker. He just found the controls frustrating and felt like he was fighting them rather than making anything worthwhile.

Oct 27, 2017
He kept ribbing it on his Friday night stream, even making fun of the Dreams's tutorial guy's voice while reading the tutorial for Graffiti Kingdom.

And he says he's done all the tutorials. He mostly doesn't care for sculpting, it seems, so he decided that since he couldn't craft the elaborate Digimon rip-offs he drew as a kid, he's abandoning the game altogether, and will instead make a GameBoy game.

Well thats sad to hear. I was looking forward to it

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No Fiasconauts this month. That's fine of course but I can't help but wonder where Ian's at. It's none of my business but when it's this long of an absence I can't help but wonder.

There's usually not an hour's worth of Nintendo news every 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
No Fiasconauts this month. That's fine of course but I can't help but wonder where Ian's at. It's none of my business but when it's this long of an absence I can't help but wonder.
Jones talked about it on CoJ. Ian is temporarily working on other projects (unrelated to EZA). He didnt go into details. My guess: maybe some theatre stuff?

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Jones talked about it on CoJ. Ian is temporarily working on other projects (unrelated to EZA). He didnt go into details. My guess: maybe some theatre stuff?
I think you misunderstood something, so to spare others the misinformation.
Ian is out of town. He is continuing to work on EZA stuff remotely. That's all the information that's being shared at this time.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I knew as soon as I saw Jones streaming some of the Dreams tutorials that Kyle would absolutely despise it, lol. If he's gonna try to make a GameBoy game, presumably through GB Studio, I'm down to see that.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
so no full playthrough this month I take it?

Last month wasn't that hype and the money dropped a bit so I didn't expect it but would've been cool.

I'm dying for some really good group streams, that resident evil 2 ghost survivors stream is my absolute favorite studio stream and it sucks nothing has been as fun and complete as that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.