• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think being hopeful makes you entitled, but with comments like "Isn't it their job?" going around there is some entitlement in the thread.
True true. They've earned the privilege of choosing to only do the things they want to do, and if they don't think State of Play is worth their time, then so be it. That's the risk they run and if they're comfortable with that, then ok.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
Im pretty sure they're going to do it since 1.this could be Sony E3, 2.New game, and 3.Possibly FF7r or Deep Down re-reveal. Its too big to pass even if its 10min. Also if 10min too short they can watch the 15min Japanese one after to have a full in depth post discussion.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Jones just said on stream that they're doing reactions, but they're still searching for Allies to do it. Jones and Kyle are out on thursday.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
One thing I've tried to stop doing recently is suggesting that the Allies do something that I want them to produce for my own entertainment, and then trying to justify it with business reasons. I just find that it always comes across as disingenuous (probably because it kind of is).

So yeah, embrace your feelings, stop trying to justify them needlessly! Although that doesn't mean you have to not think it's justified from a business sense, just that an emotionally fuelled request comes off better when it's clear it's emotionally fuelled.

I'd really like to see a State of Play reaction just because I think it will be a good time! :)

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I guess, that's a weird way of thinking about it but if that's the general consensus then far be it from me to say otherwise.
It isn't weird at all. From an industry perspective, why would Sony treat their externally developed games any differently than their internal ones? Both are part of Sony's budget, both have Sony producers, Sony's marketing team, etc work on them, both receive development support from Sony and so on.

Also see:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
There is also a monster hunter thing going on that day if state of play alone isn't worth it.
Happy they got the studio and all but we're a couple months in and as a far more casual watcher than I used to be(mostly streams have become way less interesting, most recent HoG was great but outside of that the most noteworthy thing for me was that Damiani has improved a ton at streaming to an audience tuning into some of his sekiro streams from the days of when EZA starting) and current 1 dollar patron from previously 5-7 it doesn't really feel like a big benefit so far.

It sucks because I know there has been a lot of stuff coinciding around the studio move that was out of their control like the sickness hitting everyone at the same time and Ian being out. I think it was brought up in Cup of Jones as well that there exist a patron sentiment in where most of the studio value is kind of behind the scenes and Jones was thinking about how they could maybe communicate that stuff better.

And honestly my take here is I would just really like more casual duo/trio whatever streams like the recent fortnite one with Huber and Damiani. Especially thinking back to the times of Gundam streams I just don't feel like I find many reasons to get exposed to the studio space outside of group streams(and honestly those have not been interesting to me at all outside HoG). I'm probably not doing a good job really expressing this weird subjective feeling I have about why I'm feeling a little underwhelmed. I will say though Mysterious Monsters was probably my favorite thing we got since the change.

I will say that it's EZ to like Anime and GoT Discussion which are somewhat recent helped although the former has been hampered by a rocky launch(very inconsistent air times). Also Jones is starting to stream again with Dreams I guess. So maybe we're at the actual turnaround anyway.

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
It isn't weird at all. From an industry perspective, why would Sony treat their externally developed games any differently than their internal ones? Both are part of Sony's budget, both have Sony producers, Sony's marketing team, etc work on them, both receive development support from Sony and so on.

Also see:

I make a drawing and sell it. It's my drawing.

I pay my friend to make a drawing and I sell it. I also help him pick out what kind of pencils to use. How is that drawing mine?

Sony if effectively commissioning the games and selling them for a profit. They are basically an art vendor. I would consider that to be a third party relationship.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018

I pay my friend to make a drawing and I sell it. I also help him pick out what kind of pencils to use. How is that drawing mine?

Sony if effectively commissioning the games and selling them for a profit. They are basically an art vendor. I would consider that to be a third party relationship.
Maybe Hoeg can help us out on this. The way I see it, that is a 3rd party development relationship, however Sony likely holds the IP/publishing rights for the game, so it's their product and they have the sole distribution rights to it, hence it's a first party game. Insomniac doesn't get to choose what happens to it since they don't own the rights to it. If Insomniac had the IP rights and just chose to release it exclusively on PS4 (with or without an exclusivity deal), then it would be a 3rd party game.

Tagging ByteSizeRick

EDIT2: It's essentially this I think? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_developer#Second-party_developer

Rare's Donkey Kong Country games probably fall under the same umbrella.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

No offence but that comparison doesn't make any sense. We're not talking about a drawing, we're talking about software. Sony isn't selling the code, assets, etc in their games, they still own those. They're selling players a license to play a compiled copy of them.

You can consider the relationship between Sony and Insomniac to be third party, that's fine, Insomniac is a third party developer. But when Insomniac makes a game with Sony's money and Sony publishes it, it's a first party game.

Here's a list of externally developed first party games: Pokemon, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Gears of War, Kirby, Smash Bros, Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Forza Horizon and LittleBigPlanet. Are you really going to tell me those are/were all third party games?

Maybe Hoeg can help us out on this. The way I see it, that is a 3rd party development relationship, however Sony likely holds the IP/publishing rights for the game, so it's their product and they have the sole distribution rights to it, hence it's a first party game. Insomniac doesn't get to choose what happens to it since they don't own the rights to it. If Insomniac had the IP rights and just chose to release it exclusively on PS4 (with or without an exclusivity deal), then it would be a 3rd party game.
I mean, there isn't really any need for help, these are well defined industry terms that have been around for a long time and an internet debate isn't going to change that. The way you see it is right.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

Tagging ByteSizeRick

EDIT2: It's essentially this I think? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_developer#Second-party_developer

Rare's Donkey Kong Country games probably fall under the same umbrella.

Thanks, that was helpful.

I mean, there isn't really any need for help, these are well defined industry terms that have been around for a long time and an internet debate isn't going to change that. The way you see it is right.

This attitude isnt. I wasnt debating anything. I immediately said that you were right when you questioned me on it and only exponded on my thoughts when you asked me for them. Chill.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Last podcast was great but I noticed damiani didn't say anything for almost 40 minutes. I almost thought he left the podcast

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Second party is a weird kind of made-up term that we used to describe Nintendo's relationships with developers like Rare and Silicon Knights. They were partially owned by Nintendo, and worked in close relationship with them, but still had some degree of independence. Nintendo actually still owned a portion of SK for some years after they stopped making games together. If you look through Nintendo's financial statements, there are probably still a few companies out there that fit that description.

In contrast, Retro Studios is fully owned by Nintendo, so it's completely first party. Meanwhile a company like Platinum Games is third party but has an exclusive agreement with Nintendo to publish titles like Bayonetta 2 and Astral Chain as first party games.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I miss the random game streams from the studio with a couple of allies like they were doing for the first month or two. I remember thinking, "okay, NOW I get why the studio was such a good investment." And while I still think that, the random game streams have basically completely stopped.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
This attitude isnt. I wasnt debating anything. I immediately said that you were right when you questioned me on it and only exponded on my thoughts when you asked me for them. Chill.
That part wasn't aimed at you, it's a debate that happens all the time (mostly for console/list wars purposes, which is why I don't have much patience for it) and I didn't think we needed to waste Hoeg's time on it. The thread I posted earlier is a decent enough reference point.

Second party is a weird kind of made-up term that we used to describe Nintendo's relationships with developers like Rare and Silicon Knights. They were partially owned by Nintendo, and worked in close relationship with them, but still had some degree of independence. Nintendo actually still owned a portion of SK for some years after they stopped making games together. If you look through Nintendo's financial statements, there are probably still a few companies out there that fit that description.

In contrast, Retro Studios is fully owned by Nintendo, so it's completely first party. Meanwhile a company like Platinum Games is third party but has an exclusive agreement with Nintendo to publish titles like Bayonetta 2 and Astral Chain as first party games.
Yup. I guess people get too hung up on the studio's status and assume that carries over to the games.

Oct 26, 2017

HAL Laboratory, GameFreak, Intelligent Systems are all independent

I'd be hard pressed to find someone that thinks Kirby, Fire Emblem or Pokemon aren't first party games.

So... yeah, Spider-man is first party.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
You can only be 3 things really.

1. FF7r
2. Avengers
3. Babylon Falls

Babylon Falls is supposed to release this year.
You're setting yourself up for disappointment imo, but ok, I guess it's possible.
I do believe it will have better games compared to last time, but I'm not convinced it necessarily will be the holy grail either.

I'm not saying it won't be, but it can be anything between the one from last time and the best thing ever.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I will say I miss the random game streams from the studio with a couple of allies like they were doing for the first month or two. I remember thinking, "okay, NOW I get why the studio was such a good investment." And while I still think that, the random game streams have basically completely stopped.

Yeahhh, this was my number one most wanted thing from the studio and the first month or so was awesome. Just kinda stopped though sadly.
Ben and Huber are in for an 8 hour borderlands 3 stream though ;)

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
You can only be 3 things really.

1. FF7r
2. Avengers
3. Babylon Falls

Babylon Falls is supposed to release this year.
Avengers is a Square Enix Europe project, not Japan, so we can rule that out. Babylon Falls is a possibility, as I'm not sure what division Hashimoto's involved with since he moved into his new role, but it doesn't fit Zhuge's tease. So FFVIIR confirmed!

Failing that, I'd be cool with a PS4 port of FFVIII.

They're doing State of Play. Huber will be there for Ghost Recon, SoP, and MonHunt.
Nice. Though there's three hours between the GR announcement and SoP, so covering that live would be a little nuts.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's Hashimoto, so it's FF7 related.

I'm going to guess PS4 Pro support for FF7 PC version.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Though there's three hours between the GR announcement and SoP, so covering that live would be a little nuts.

I could see him filling some time with some Battle Royale, or Ghost Recon if an update is shadowdropped. Just have a fun studio day.

Shame I've been summoned to work away from home Friday morning. Will miss SoP.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Man pre E3 time really snuck up on me.

Only about a month left. I feel like we are missing some juicy leaks though.

I do hope the allies make an reaction Video to the upcoming state of play but won't be disappointed if they don't.

I will miss the sony press conference reactions this year though.

I found the allies through their GT 2015 video that I first saw about 2 years ago, have been an avid fan since then.

They work best as a group for me, their chemistry is just great.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Don't Square Enix have a massive spike in sales built into their Q3 projections? And nothing currently releasing in that window?

FFVIIR. Believe.

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UNIQLO? Like UNIQLO the clothing company? OK, who of you works there and made this happen|? First a $300 million deal with Roger Federer AND now EASY ALLIES? I buy their basics all the time. Sounds super cool.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for all of them as always. Hell, I'd even watch a Quantic Dream conference. Honest to god, David Cage for an hour.
Oh, I watch them all, but those are the only two I'm going to be really interested in and will watch alone first before I watch them with the Allies. I don't care as much about the other ones and will only watch them with EZA commentary.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Listening to the bombast and gerstmann half joking mentioned wanting to start there own videogame hall of fame. Eza getting ripped off again! jk.

Lol, straight from the horses mouth.

UNIQLO? Like UNIQLO the clothing company? OK, who of you works there and made this happen|? First a $300 million deal with Roger Federer AND now EASY ALLIES? I buy their basics all the time. Sounds super cool.

I asked about it in chat last night and kristen said that it was just a normal sponsorship situation but it's so weird to me, there has to be some back door shady deals. Does uniqlo advertise on other podcasts that I'm just not aware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.