• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I can guarantee anyone claiming any of the Allies are faking their reactions has never felt the buzz of being on a live stream during E3 hyped up on caffeine and living the good life.

So everyone else on the internet who also has that "buzz" is fake but the Allies are 100% genuine. Cool.

Some people are so naive when it comes to these 9 gentleman.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying he, or any of them, aren't excited by what they're seeing and doing, I'm saying they ham it up a little.

It's just weird that everyone else on the internet is clearly fake but the Allies are completely sincere.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm not saying he, or any of them, aren't excited by what they're seeing and doing, I'm saying they ham it up a little.

It's just weird that everyone else on the internet is clearly fake but the Allies are completely sincere.

Has anyone declared every single other reaction video on the internet fake, besides EZA/Huber? Obviously that would be a ridiculous position to take, but I don't see anyone taking it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure some of them ham it up a bit, Jones being naturally a theatrical type of guy, but I think Huber is completely sincere. And I also don't think every other establishment is faking it.

I WILL say, though, that it's harder to show natural enthusiasm in a solo reaction, so I'm 99% sure most solo react-ers are hamming it up. Same way when I'm watching comedies by myself, I'm usually not laughing, but when I'm watching with others I am. It's not that I'm faking it when I'm with others; it's more that a stronger type of reaction is common in a social setting.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think they do amp it up a bit, or maybe there's that atmosphere in the room. Unfortunately that positivity is sometimes weird to watch, because my own feelings towards games lately have not been nearly as ecstatic as they all show themselves to be. I shouldn't say all, because some are more consistent with reactions being more pondered (that Sword and Shield reaction was my favourite).

In general, including reviews, recent EZA has been a bit too high on everything and personally I don't think any game this year has justified it, and there's not much coming out - which has caused me to disconnect from them a bit, but I guess it's their style.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In general, including reviews, recent EZA has been a bit too high on everything and personally I don't think any game this year has justified it, and there's not much coming out - which has caused me to disconnect from them a bit, but I guess it's their style.

I've really enjoyed a lot of this year, especially Capcom's Q1 and Sekiro being better for me than any of the Souls games. They've been harsh when they need to be I believe (Anthem) and Jones was one of the few people who was consistent about Days Gone from preview event to review compared to some other outlets that were talking it up so much, then when it came to review, implied playing 30 seconds of it you would notice where the issues were, which was hilarious

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I've really enjoyed a lot of this year, especially Capcom's Q1 and Sekiro being better for me than any of the Souls games. They've been harsh when they need to be I believe (Anthem) and Jones was one of the few people who was consistent about Days Gone from preview event to review compared to some other outlets that were talking it up so much, then when it came to review, implied playing 30 seconds of it you would notice where the issues were, which was hilarious
It's definitely a personal thing, as I was extremely disappointed with Sekiro, and didn't like Devil May Cry that much, etc. So it's been a weird year where I don't agree with the allies most of the times.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Aside from buying and sadly being somewhat disappointed in my Nintendo switch, this year has been really great. It's gonna be hard to top last year but RE2, DMCV and Dreams are a great start.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Don't the other allies quite often poke fun at Huber for his everything is the best takes? The guy just gets super caught up in the moment he ain't faking anything, just how he is.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny was able to discuss the episode in a proper way, this was no discussion but a roast.

A roast is appropriate, especially now that the final episode has aired.

GoT has one of the worst final seasons and finale for a good show... like ever.

Nearly every character was butchered or made considerably dumber, the sexism in the writing blatantly manifested itself, half the plots/characters were discarded and the show couldn't even adhere to its own internal logic between episodes.

You have to play Olympic level mental gymnastics to get the episodes to make even an iota of sense.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
A roast is appropriate, especially now that the final episode has aired.

GoT has one of the worst final seasons and finale for a good show... like ever.

Nearly every character was butchered or made considerably dumber, the sexism in the writing blatantly manifested itself, half the plots/characters were discarded and the show couldn't even adhere to its own internal logic between episodes.

You have to play Olympic level mental gymnastics to get the episodes to make even an iota of sense.

If GoT has the worst final season ever that makes me really relieved

Oct 25, 2017
If GoT has the worst final season ever that makes me really relieved

Some people watch shows for the spectacle, and that's okay.

But you can't expect the Allies to have a discussion about a show which cannot even stay logically internally consistent between episodes or sometimes even scenes and assume they're willing to ignore all of its writing flaws the same as somebody else.

Either you watch it for the spectacle or you want a discussion, in which case it'll get roasted for having awful writing.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God I didn't invest my time in this show. It looks like the finale was a major disappointment.

Regardless of how bad this final season was, I'd still recommend this show to anyone. The first seven seasons are some of the most compelling television of all time. There is a reason this show became a global phenomenon. Just because the finale could never possibly live up to anyone's expectations doesn't immediately discount the journey to get there.

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro

No one is saying that everyone is fake, with the exception of Easy Allies. ONLY YOU.
Do you have any proof that they are actors and that they are pretending emotions?

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

RG0BS1U.gif

Case closed.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody was even on a chair for RE7, just stood up. Hell, I've done that during E3, on my own with nobody watching me... That I know of.

same, I even have the reaction of some friends that came over my house for the E3 of dreams and it was preeeeety similar to the allies. I was being nice giving the RE7 one, but in truth is, somebody that doesn't watch the allies would think those are over reactions when they are just like that, sometimes they get really excited about something and it's easy to confuse it with something faked.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the last time I saw them going with over the top reactions was 2016. Have been relatively subdued since then.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
People who complain about their reactions are the same who complain about MCs talking to themselves being unrealistic. Hell, I barely say more than a few words to everyone I know, but get me in a room by myself and suddenly I'm a chatty Cathy. I also have crazy high reactions to shit that I like or am invested in. I feel like I live in a different reality than a lot of people sometimes.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Regardless of how bad this final season was, I'd still recommend this show to anyone. The first seven seasons are some of the most compelling television of all time. There is a reason this show became a global phenomenon. Just because the finale could never possibly live up to anyone's expectations doesn't immediately discount the journey to get there.

This is debatable though, many people, myself included feel it was 4 great seasons and 4 bad ones which over makes the show a disappointment.

You could argue Lost is an amazing show worth watching as its first 2 seasons are amazing but the rest of it and the ending specifically definitely let's it down and tarnishes the overall package much like the last half of GoT and specifically the ending season.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
This is debatable though, many people, myself included feel it was 4 great seasons and 4 bad ones which over makes the show a disappointment.

You could argue Lost is an amazing show worth watching as its first 2 seasons are amazing but the rest of it and the ending specifically definitely let's it down and tarnishes the overall package much like the last half of GoT and specifically the ending season.

I know people will make the same argument about Lost, but I feel the same way about both shows. Watch both of them! Maybe they don't hold up after the initial zeitgeist, but I still think the world-building in both shows are second to none. I'd recommend watching them just in a pure "film-study" sense to see how other shows fail in comparison. That's why people still talk about Lost today IMO, most people are looking for the next "Lost", just with a better ending.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked GoT's ending (mostly, I thought it was fine) and I liked Lost's ending (served the characters well, even if it forgot to address the mysteries, and got a bit too spiritual). Both shows had a ton of bad episodes, but never a bad "season." Saying a season is "bad" is unfair to the great episodes each season did have. I mean, Season 3 has arguably the lowest point for Lost (Jack's Tattoos!), but it also gave us that brilliant season finale and two of my favorite stand-alone episodes: Tricia Tanaka is Dead and Exposé (I know I stand alone in that assertion, but what a way to kill off unpopular characters, right??). And what of The Constant in season 4?? That episode alone is worth watching the three and a half seasons that precede it (and I'm definitely not alone in that assertion. See: any "top TV episodes of all time" list).

I mean, even this season of GoT had the great pre-battle of Winterfell episode, with so many fun character moments. It may not have lead to anything great, but as a standalone moment in the story of Game of Thrones, it was pretty nice.

All in all, I'd recommend both to any fan of TV. TV is more than how it ends or how each season plays out. It's about the episodes. These aren't 48-100-hour-long movies; they're a collection of episodes. If anything, the belief that TV is just a long movie (and thus requiring a "great" ending to be considered good) is what's ruining TV.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I get that in this day and age of serialized TV, there is a lot of pressure put on the ending of a show (since there is some kind of overarching narrative) but I still believe that discounts too much the episodic nature of TV. Even if Barry ends poorly, we'll still have "ronny/lilly" and that will always be brilliant and I will accept no other answer.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Of course it's all down to personal preference, I'm a lot more forgiving of Dexter for example despite that show falling off a cliff worse than GoT did.

Whereas the moment I read the books of ASOIAF the TV show just felt inferior (even the good seasons). Season 5 was worse than this season though both were pretty bad.

There are very few TV shows (if any) I can think of that had a satisfying ending.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I think they do play it up a bit for the camera, but only like 10-20%, and not like 80%-90% like a lot of the low tier youtube reaction stuff. So it's fine.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I would be ok if they never streamed another castlevania game again.

Yup and I love Castlevania.

Also the only fakeish reaction I can think if was on last year's Microsoft E3 reaction stream when Sekiro was revealed. Ian tried to do the RE7 stand-up shock reaction once they realised what it was and Damiani even cut to a pre-set up camera cut which showed off more of the set were one of them to stand up.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You can't honestly believe the Allies' reactions are not hammed up, even if ever so slightly?

Ben, Huber and Ian in particular all go a little overboard at times.

I have seen Ian sit through entire conferences being completely unphased. It is weird that you would mention Ian, as he can, at times, be a little harder to please (though he CAN be enthusiastic about the things that fall squarely in his wheelhouse). Ben reacts the way a lot of gamers would react. Excited, and energized by the room, but usually not to an absurd degree (at least not for a person as enthusiastically in love with games as Ben). Huber is Huber (and we all love him for it). One of the more remarkable things is how often people meet Huber and remark on how true to form he is. By all accounts, what you see is what you get.

I would be ok if they never streamed another castlevania game again.

Boo!!! I love me some Castlevania and am always super happy to watch them play Castlevania games (though I am at the point in my life where I am essentially done with SotN).

Status
Not open for further replies.