• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Can we like not discuss the ending of GoT in this thread when we have a million other threads to do that?

Oct 25, 2017
Yup and I love Castlevania.

Also the only fakeish reaction I can think if was on last year's Microsoft E3 reaction stream when Sekiro was revealed. Ian tried to do the RE7 stand-up shock reaction once they realised what it was and Damiani even cut to a pre-set up camera cut which showed off more of the set were one of them to stand up.
If that reaction is as fake as they get, then I'm happy with their level of "ham." I just rewatched it and it didn't seem all that over-the-top. Of all the Allies to stand up for a new FromSoftware game, it ought to be Ian...

Also, Don's face during the reveal is priceless:
Screen%20Shot%202019-05-20%20at%206.31.04%20PM_1.png

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Great ep of Mysterious Monsters, but yeah, Huber should probably take a look at the questions beforehand

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
It's a large pool of questions that are randomly drawn when they're selected. He can't predict which questions will be on an episode.
Is it possible to change this process for the next 3 episodes? As a viewer, I find it really irritating and cheap if the host doesn't know the questions. Huber should be able to screen the questions for every episode beforehand. It would also help with his questions regarding the pronunciation of certain words. I'd really appreciate it. :)

Oct 25, 2017
If that reaction is as fake as they get, then I'm happy with their level of "ham." I just rewatched it and it didn't seem all that over-the-top. Of all the Allies to stand up for a new FromSoftware game, it ought to be Ian...

I know right, the Allies biggest Bloodborne fan being interested in a new From game shouldn't be a shock to people. Bloodborne 2 is Ian's Shenmue 3.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible to change this process for the next 3 episodes? As a viewer, I find it really irritating and cheap if the host doesn't know the questions. Huber should be able to screen the questions for every episode beforehand. It would also help with his questions regarding the pronunciation of certain words. I'd really appreciate it. :)
I've really got nothing to do with producing the show. (If I did, it wouldn't be a great idea to have me on as a contestant.) Feep could probably give you more insight as to whether that's something that could potentially change.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017

Huber's seeing the question for the first time during the recording is definitely a style choice, not an oversight. I've put pronunciation guides in with some questions in the past (Such as the one that was written entirely in French), but from my standpoint, Huber prefers to just read the question outright.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Regarding the reactions, they might not ham it up, but they don't reign it in like a normal person would. Damiani talked about this before, how he was trained to act professionally.

Oct 28, 2017
So the questions are just thrown at Huber completely at random then? No one has any control over what he gets?

The Activision Blizzard questions back to back was odd but that wasn't the first time in this latest episode alone. There were two questions regarding Overwatch on the same monster and there were a ton of water related questions with another monster.

This feels like something that could easily be addressed but having no knowledge of the ins and outs of this I'm probably drastically oversimplifying things.

Still a great show though. Keep up the good work.

Loved that Cold Blooded got the freezing point of water question.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode! It was super unpredictable up until the very end, which made it exciting.

I actually like that Huber doesn't always pronounce the words correctly or know the answers. It gives the show more personality (compared to a super-produced game show you'd see on TV) and we also get Huber randomly giving contestants coins when he feels like a question is BS.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Weird take. I love Blood's close-up. What great framing and lighting. It looks like it's because he's a tall boy, but I really think it looks cool.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
So the questions are just thrown at Huber completely at random then? No one has any control over what he gets?

The Activision Blizzard questions back to back was odd but that wasn't the first time in this latest episode alone. There were two questions regarding Overwatch on the same monster and there were a ton of water related questions with another monster.

This feels like something that could easily be addressed but having no knowledge of the ins and outs of this I'm probably drastically oversimplifying things.

Still a great show though. Keep up the good work.

Loved that Cold Blooded got the freezing point of water question.

Currently, as I understand it, the system Feep has up and running involves loading all of the questions in for each subject, and shuffling them out to give each monster in an episode a specific health value (keeping difficulty varied), then once a question is used, it should be taken out of rotation. I *think* the unused Qs in an episode get used in the mixed-up monstrosity, too. Because you've got 5 writers all working separately, it's likely those 2 or 3 Overwatch questions were written by separate folks, and the RNG gods just shuffled them into the same set. You could curate the Qs in each episode, but it's probably out of everyone's paygrade to take the time to do that (you'd be surprised how long that sort of thing takes to properly do). I reckon going forward they'll still randomise but Ian will look at each category to assure no copies or flips :)

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Have the Allies ever spoke about what they did after gametrailers shut down?
How do you mean? They launched EZA a little over a month after GT closed, so I am sure some time went into that.
I guess most of them also went searching for a new job/freelance job in the meantime.

As far as I remember Jones, Bosman and Blood talked about playing/finishing games they never got around to during that time as well.

Oct 27, 2017
How do you mean? They launched EZA a little over a month after GT closed, so I am sure some time went into that.
I guess most of them also went searching for a new job/freelance job in the meantime.

As far as I remember Jones, Bosman and Blood talked about playing/finishing games they never got around to during that time as well.
Ah, I thought the gap was wider. I didn't really start following them until last year.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
In general, including reviews, recent EZA has been a bit too high on everything and personally I don't think any game this year has justified it, and there's not much coming out - which has caused me to disconnect from them a bit, but I guess it's their style.

I'm with ya, this year's had a whole bunch of nothing for me so far except for kingdom hearts 3 and i don't see much coming out either. Animal Crossing and Astral Chain will be fun but yeah, not a very good year for me so far.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Ah, I thought the gap was wider. I didn't really start following them until last year.
According to wikipedia GT had been shut down on February 19th, 2016 and EZA started on March 21st, 2016.
I can understand that you expected the gap to be wider. It's rather special what they have been able to accomplish starting a month after they closed and it's not something you would expect to be possible in such a short amount of time.

My guess is that some of them were waiting to see what EZA was going to be.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with ya, this year's had a whole bunch of nothing for me so far except for kingdom hearts 3 and i don't see much coming out either. Animal Crossing and Astral Chain will be fun but yeah, not a very good year for me so far.
I'm in the same boat. Really have only enjoyed Sekiro and Cuphead on Switch. Wasn't interested in the two Capcom releases and Days Gone isn't my thing. Rage 2 was my only toaster strudel and that turned into a big fat pop tart (but that combat! so good). Hopeful for some summer Switch releases (Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Mario Maker 2), and hopefully E3 has some 2019 release dates I can get excited about...

But overall, it's made listening to Frame Trap kinda dull. I loved the conversation about Arkham Knight and tempted me to start it up again, but for the most part, listening them talk about games I'm just not excited about has made me abuse time-stamps more than usual.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

This has been me too. Every game I've been hyped for has disapointed me but a few games not on my radar ended up being great (Apex legends and RE2) on the bright side I've been going back and checking out some stuff I'd passed over before. I've played the entire gears series. I just finished subnautica which was excellent. Yesterday I started AC: odyssey and I was blown away by how much fun I was having. I almost didnt get it because I've never liked any of the ac games I've tried including orgins but odyssey is so much fun to just dick around in.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
KH3 and MLB 19 are the only two games from this year I've put much time into, but I really enjoyed both of them. There aren't currently any mega-hype games for me coming out this year, but plenty of stuff I'm interested in (and still at least a chance we get TLOU2, FF7 Remake part 1, etc.). Link's Awakening is 2019, that's pretty exciting too.

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The second half of this year is pretty stacked for me: pokemon, animal crossing, astral chain, cross code, borderlands 3, judgment, outer worlds, doom eternal, watchdogs 3, gears 5 and the second dlc for FH4 are all things I want to buy day one. Unfortunately half of those will probably all release within 2 months of each other.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Right now, I'm looking forward to the second half of the year being pure Mario Maker with a break for Outer Worlds and Control.

First half has been good for backlog, currently playing Night in the Woods and Vampyr :)

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring remasters (Shoutout to Phoenix Wright Trilogy, Hitman and Bowser's Inside Story though), I've enjoyed a shitton already this year

Ace Combat 7
At the Gates
Slay the Spire
RE2 Remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Wargroove
Apex Legends
Tetris 99
Trials Rising
Devil May Cry V
Tropico 6
Yoshi's Crafted World (Muted)
BoxBoy & BoxGirl
Days Gone

April's had a bit of a lull and there's nothing on the horizon for me until June with Bloodstained, Judgement(!!!) and probable GOTY Mario Maker 2(!!!!), but I'm pleased as punch. Used this gap to play Final Fantasy XII again/

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro

Irritating? Cheap? HOW the host will know every question?!

It's easier for you to stop watching the program.

Other saying that Easy Allies are faking reactions without proof or evidence, and worse, they are creating a false narrative that patreons are saying that others from outside are faking reactions and only EZa are the "true reactions".

I can not believe the things we are reading in Resetera.

WHAT A WEEK patreons! WHAT A WEEK!

Oct 25, 2017
The second half of this year is pretty stacked for me: pokemon, animal crossing, astral chain, cross code, borderlands 3, judgment, outer worlds, doom eternal, watchdogs 3, gears 5 and the second dlc for FH4 are all things I want to buy day one. Unfortunately half of those will probably all release within 2 months of each other.
Forgot about CrossCode! Hopefully that gets its promised 2019 release. Outer Worlds also looks terrific and Doom Eternal should be a good time, so there's some hope. I should be more excited about Animal Crossing, but I'm worried it'll just be New Leaf but in HD. I really love those games, but I need the formula to update a little. Stardew Valley spoiled me and it'll be hard to top, honestly.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Have the Allies ever spoke about what they did after gametrailers shut down?
Yeah, it wasn't that long of a gap. I was on my my honeymoon at the time, so it was a couple weeks before I was even back in LA to officially meet with Defy, hand in my keys, etc. And even from where I was staying, a lot of time was spent just trying to keep up with the enormous outflow of messages from the community, and listening to Shane air a bunch of behind the scenes stories about why GT went downhill, some that even I didn't know.

In that time, Brandon took care of packing up all the gear, the library, etc. Then we met at his place to basically have a free for all on that stuff, and that's when Brandon first pitched the idea of doing something together and starting a Patreon, which we all said we'd be in for, but didn't really know what it would look like or believe it would be an actual job. One of the reasons group stream night starts when it does is because the whole idea was that we could come to Brandon's after work, stream together, then shoot the podcast. The rest of the goals were all pretty distant, but we could at least do that. Maybe once in a while, we could put together a review, etc.

So while we were putting together things behind the scenes like grabbing URLs for all the channels and social media accounts, we were also looking for work and passing along job opportunities for each other. I applied to Nintendo, Game Informer, CD Projekt Red, and I think a few other places. I drove up to GDC and slept on the floor of a friend's hotel room, largely to connect with people and look for jobs, and there was a lot of warm support from people throughout the industry. We'd already posted the launch date teaser on social media so a few people tried pressuring me into telling them what we were up to, but I kept my mouth shut.

A few days later, we had the launch stream, more money came into the Patreon than we could have possibly imagined, and we blew through goals that we thought were months away, so it was time to get to work.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think we have been drowning in great games this year, it has still had some absurdly high highs. Tetris 99, Mortal Kombat 11, and Devil May Cry V were all excellent. Also, I think Resident Evil 2 (2019) and Sekiro are some of the highlights of this entire generation. So, while I have not been inundated with incredible games this year, some of the games we have received are just absurdly good (specifically the latter two I mentioned).

Also, I can accept that some of the games that don't appeal to me are very exciting for other people. So, yeah, I couldn't care less about Kingdom Hearts 3 (especially after hearing that they dumped all the Final Fantasy characters), but I understand that it is a big deal for some people.

I am not super interested in anything coming in the second half, but I am sure there will be some excellent games that will take me by surprise.

Regarding the reactions, they might not ham it up, but they don't reign it in like a normal person would. Damiani talked about this before, how he was trained to act professionally.

They absolutely encourage people to express themselves. Absolutely. However, I don't think any of it is insincere. I mean, they also encourage Kyle to be as cranky as we wants to be, which is also entertaining. They clearly want to be their most entertaining selves, but we all make decisions about how we want to present ourselves to the world. Nothing is entirely innate.

I would actually love to see a super hype conference where Huber had to try to keep a straight face and show no excitement throughout. That would be an excellent source of comedy. Though he may implode...

RetroPS4

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it wasn't that long of a gap. I was on my my honeymoon at the time, so it was a couple weeks before I was even back in LA to officially meet with Defy, hand in my keys, etc. And even from where I was staying, a lot of time was spent just trying to keep up with the enormous outflow of messages from the community, and listening to Shane air a bunch of behind the scenes stories about why GT went downhill, some that even I didn't know.

In that time, Brandon took care of packing up all the gear, the library, etc. Then we met at his place to basically have a free for all on that stuff, and that's when Brandon first pitched the idea of doing something together and starting a Patreon, which we all said we'd be in for, but didn't really know what it would look like or believe it would be an actual job. One of the reasons group stream night starts when it does is because the whole idea was that we could come to Brandon's after work, stream together, then shoot the podcast. The rest of the goals were all pretty distant, but we could at least do that. Maybe once in a while, we could put together a review, etc.

So while we were putting together things behind the scenes like grabbing URLs for all the channels and social media accounts, we were also looking for work and passing along job opportunities for each other. I applied to Nintendo, Game Informer, CD Projekt Red, and I think a few other places. I drove up to GDC and slept on the floor of a friend's hotel room, largely to connect with people and look for jobs, and there was a lot of warm support from people throughout the industry. We'd already posted the launch date teaser on social media so a few people tried pressuring me into telling them what we were up to, but I kept my mouth shut.

A few days later, we had the launch stream, more money came into the Patreon than we could have possibly imagined, and we blew through goals that we thought were months away, so it was time to get to work.
Thanks for the rundown, Blood. I don't think any of the Allies have been that specific or thorough with the details of EZAs genesis before. Love and Respect!

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys!

The system we current have in place is a massive bank of questions that gets pulled from randomly. We did this for a few reasons...the categories are random each episode, and we shoot many episodes back to back to back on a tight schedule. (In fact, every single episode of Mysterious Monsters, including the next one, was shot within a one week period in March. It was very difficult to make changes / implement feedback in such a compressed time frame. AND I was away at GDC for most of those days!)

We could just cycle in six specific questions into the spreadsheet to ensure we knew the questions in advance, but Ian and I have talked about this, and we prefer the loose, off the cuff feel. This isn't Jeopardy, and it never will be. Huber's an amazing host with amazing energy, and he relates to the contestants in a way very few hosts do. It would also be a lot of extra work to try and curate everything so precisely during the chaos of filming.

There was a lot of weird RNG in this last episode...we had four space questions in a bank of like 14 and they *all* showed up for Pam, who works in a medical field but isn't really a space enthusiast.

I've seen the next episode and it is WILD. After that, we'll be shooting new episodes, so we'll be able to adjust some things we've been wanting to for awhile now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish Mysterious Monsters was at least bi-weekly. I get the limitations and I completely understand why it's once a month (for now?), but I already miss the show...

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How the fuck does Mysterious Monsters manage to have such a bad and cheesy, yet completely fantastic intro? It's like something you'd see on UK kids television from 1992.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Hey guys!

The system we current have in place is a massive bank of questions that gets pulled from randomly. We did this for a few reasons...the categories are random each episode, and we shoot many episodes back to back to back on a tight schedule. (In fact, every single episode of Mysterious Monsters, including the next one, was shot within a one week period in March. It was very difficult to make changes / implement feedback in such a compressed time frame. AND I was away at GDC for most of those days!)

We could just cycle in six specific questions into the spreadsheet to ensure we knew the questions in advance, but Ian and I have talked about this, and we prefer the loose, off the cuff feel. This isn't Jeopardy, and it never will be. Huber's an amazing host with amazing energy, and he relates to the contestants in a way very few hosts do. It would also be a lot of extra work to try and curate everything so precisely during the chaos the filming.

There was a lot of weird RNG in this last episode...we had four space questions in a bank of like 14 and they *all* showed up for Pam, who works in a medical field but isn't really a space enthusiast.

I've seen the next episode and it is WILD. After that, we'll be shooting new episodes, so we'll be able to adjust some things we've been wanting to for awhile now.
Hey Feep, I really appreciate the time you took to answer this. :D

It wasn't really clear to me how the current system works, hence the confusion.

I hope it's possible to balance it out a little for future episodes but I understand now if it won't be possible.

You and the rest of the team still did a great job with the show. There's nothing like it and this is exactly the kind of thing I've wanted from EZA since day 1.

Edit: And thumbs up for the Surface representation. Good to see that you still get some milage out of your old SP3

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
How the fuck does Mysterious Monsters manage to have such a bad and cheesy, yet completely fantastic intro? It's like something you'd see on UK kids television from 1992.
Yeah, it's something I shouldn't be into because I usually don't like cheesy stuff like this at all, but for some reason I love this intro.
I guess it's Huber "acting" performance or maybe just because I know EZA. It's also very well done/editted and it has a catchy theme like Tetsujin says.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Huber and Ian are out of town until right before E3. I haven't heard of anyone else proposing a John Wick Spoiler Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.