• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
Yeah, it wasn't that long of a gap. I was on my my honeymoon at the time, so it was a couple weeks before I was even back in LA to officially meet with Defy, hand in my keys, etc. And even from where I was staying, a lot of time was spent just trying to keep up with the enormous outflow of messages from the community, and listening to Shane air a bunch of behind the scenes stories about why GT went downhill, some that even I didn't know.

In that time, Brandon took care of packing up all the gear, the library, etc. Then we met at his place to basically have a free for all on that stuff, and that's when Brandon first pitched the idea of doing something together and starting a Patreon, which we all said we'd be in for, but didn't really know what it would look like or believe it would be an actual job. One of the reasons group stream night starts when it does is because the whole idea was that we could come to Brandon's after work, stream together, then shoot the podcast. The rest of the goals were all pretty distant, but we could at least do that. Maybe once in a while, we could put together a review, etc.

So while we were putting together things behind the scenes like grabbing URLs for all the channels and social media accounts, we were also looking for work and passing along job opportunities for each other. I applied to Nintendo, Game Informer, CD Projekt Red, and I think a few other places. I drove up to GDC and slept on the floor of a friend's hotel room, largely to connect with people and look for jobs, and there was a lot of warm support from people throughout the industry. We'd already posted the launch date teaser on social media so a few people tried pressuring me into telling them what we were up to, but I kept my mouth shut.

A few days later, we had the launch stream, more money came into the Patreon than we could have possibly imagined, and we blew through goals that we thought were months away, so it was time to get to work.

This is so amazing to read. I'm so so happy it's working out so well. I love EZA and thank you for everything that you do!! Sending you all love and respect! =)

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't a solution to the Mysterious Monsters question issue be to have a short explanation of the correct answer on the card.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
It's been a phenomenal year for video games so far. Sorry to hear about your limited and questionable taste in gaming if you say otherwise.

Edit: I don't mean to offend anyone, there really has been a lot of awesome releases week after week, to name a few:

Ace Combat 7
Resident Evil 2
Kingdom Hearts 3
Metro Exodus
Devil May Cry 5
Yoshi's Crafted World
Sekiro
Division 2
Days Gone
Mortal Kombat 11
Rage 2
Etc

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
It's been a phenomenal year for video games so far. Sorry to hear about your limited and questionable taste in gaming if you say otherwise.

Heres a list of every game I've played this year. Dont worry about the punctuation at the end, I can't be bothered to remove it:

Travis strikes again: NMH$
Vane
Gears of war: ultimate edition*
Resident evil 2 remake$
Kingdom hearts 3$
Apex legends#
Tetris 99#
Anthem$
Crackdown 3*
Far cry 2#
Ape out _
Baba is you _
Gears 2*
Gears 3*
Unraveled 2#
Mgs rising revengence#
Sekiro$
Picross 3d 2
Twilight princess picross#
Crypt of the necrodancer _
Gears of war judgment*
Falcon age
Gears of war 4*
Labo vr÷
Batman arkam asylum*
Shadow of the tomb raider*
Halo spartan assault*
Halo wars remastered*
Doom 2016*
Days gone^
Steamworld quest _
Halo 3*
Subnautica$
Divinity original sin 2$
Assassins creed odyssey

I wouldn't call my tastes limited, questionable maybe but the point is I've played a wide variety of games this year. I still think this year has been very lackluster. Most of the games I was excited for were bad, games I had no hype for were great.

I do want to play a plague tale and and dmc 5 but I'm waiting on sales for both after getting burned so many times this year.

Oct 27, 2017
There haven't been a ton of games this year that I've been interested in but the ones that did grab me, grabbed me hard. RE2, DMC5, Sekiro, and MK11 have all had me hooked for weeks on end, and being at work away from those games had me counting down the seconds before I could play again.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Are we ever going back to the days of off the cuff creative streams, creative produced videos, betting specials etc.
Miss some of unpredictability from before.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys!

The system we current have in place is a massive bank of questions that gets pulled from randomly. We did this for a few reasons...the categories are random each episode, and we shoot many episodes back to back to back on a tight schedule. (In fact, every single episode of Mysterious Monsters, including the next one, was shot within a one week period in March. It was very difficult to make changes / implement feedback in such a compressed time frame. AND I was away at GDC for most of those days!)

We could just cycle in six specific questions into the spreadsheet to ensure we knew the questions in advance, but Ian and I have talked about this, and we prefer the loose, off the cuff feel. This isn't Jeopardy, and it never will be. Huber's an amazing host with amazing energy, and he relates to the contestants in a way very few hosts do. It would also be a lot of extra work to try and curate everything so precisely during the chaos of filming.

There was a lot of weird RNG in this last episode...we had four space questions in a bank of like 14 and they *all* showed up for Pam, who works in a medical field but isn't really a space enthusiast.

I've seen the next episode and it is WILD. After that, we'll be shooting new episodes, so we'll be able to adjust some things we've been wanting to for awhile now.
Next time there's weird RNG maybe Ian and Huber could just skip straight to the next question and then edit that bit out of the video?

Despite the weird RNG, that episode was still my favourite so far thanks to way it came right down to the wire at the end. Can't wait for the next one.

Edit: I don't mean to offend anyone, there really has been a lot of awesome releases week after week, to name a few:

Ace Combat 7
Resident Evil 2
Kingdom Hearts 3
Metro Exodus
Devil May Cry 5
Yoshi's Crafted World
Sekiro
Division 2
Days Gone
Mortal Kombat 11
Rage 2
Etc
Eh, while I don't entirely agree, I can see why some people would come to that conclusion. I think this year has seen a lot of "if you're a fan of x, you'll love y" and if you don't fit into some of those groups, there isn't a ton for you because there hasn't been a universally loved game like GoW or BotW this year.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Next time there's weird RNG maybe Ian and Huber could just skip straight to the next question and then edit that bit out of the video?

Despite the weird RNG, that episode was still my favourite so far thanks to way it came right down to the wire at the end. Can't wait for the next one.

Eh, while I don't entirely agree, I can see why some people would come to that conclusion. I think this year has seen a lot of "if you're a fan of x, you'll love y" and if you don't fit into some of those groups, there isn't a ton for you because there hasn't been a universally loved game like GoW or BotW this year.
Unfortunately editing out questions means inconsistencies in how much HP or gold people have, so it could be confusing or frustrating for the viewers.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately editing out questions means inconsistencies in how much HP or gold people have, so it could be confusing or frustrating for the viewers.
Oh, I didn't mean in the shows that're already taped, I meant in future ones. There could just be a button on Ian's end that immediately pulls in a new question.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Ben talking about the see through gameboy on last night's stream made me dig my old one out the cupboard, still has a judge dredd game in it lol

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
For real? Thought he would be back for good...
He might, but he might not.
They never said anything specific about this (as far as I know), so we just don't know for sure.

I am sure EZA and EZA's fans miss Ian and while I want Ian to come back too, I hope he can finish the thing he's occupied with and I still wish him all the best to do so.
I don't know what it is, but I get the feeling he should get all the time he needs.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
He might, but he might not.
They never said anything specific about this (as far as I know), so we just don't know for sure.

I am sure EZA and EZA's fans miss Ian and while I want Ian to come back too, I hope he can finish the thing he's occupied with and I still wish him all the best to do so.
I don't know what it is, but I get the feeling he should get all the time he needs.
This. It sucks that we don't get to hear Ian's input that much lately, but there is no use in bringing it up constantly. He'll be back when he finishes whatever he has going on right now, and that's really all we need to know.

I think I saw some guy in the Patreon comments DEMANDING an explanation a while back, and was kinda taken aback by that.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Isn't Rainy Day Ian the Champion?
Oh, I didn't even think about this. I hope they can make it work. The EZA betting specials make E3 a lot more engaging.

Have the Allies ever spoke about what they did after gametrailers shut down?
They already spoke about at length. They all went their separate ways, but miraculously found each other again while competing in the 2016 Snake Charming Regional Championships. In spite of their valiant efforts, most realised they were outclassed and out of their element. They reluctantly decided to give video games another go. Damiani, who took home the gold medal with his innovative rendition of Funky Town, still had duties to fulfil in several national and international tournaments, and thus couldn't join until later.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Last weeks podcast youtube comments, someone brings up the whole "violence is fine, but nudity isn't? That's so backwards" line of thinking and I just do not understand how people can be so fucking dumb.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Last weeks podcast youtube comments, someone brings up the whole "violence is fine, but nudity isn't? That's so backwards" line of thinking and I just do not understand how people can be so fucking dumb.
As someone who hasn't listened to the podcast yet this comment means nothing to me. Would you mind explaining it what it is about?

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I'm not sure it's necessarily dumb. It just depends on the person and usually on the place they live/where they were born. I guess it's a cultural thing.
Some people find violence way worse and others nudity. It's just a difference of opinion and I don't think either one of them is the superior opinion (depending on the kind of violence and nudity, I guess).

I personally would find it awkward to play those GoW scenes with people next to me (whatever age they are), but I do think Belgium (and I guess Europe in general) has less problems with nudity in games compared to at least the US (and I guess a lot of the Anglo-Saxon countries, even though I am not sure about this and I hate to generalise). That said I'm actually not sure what side I'm on for this one. It depends on the content.

But again, it depends on which person you are asking. It's mature content (both nudity and violence) and because of that not everybody wants to be exposed to that. I know my sister doesn't like either of them in games and she is in her 30's.

A good example of nudity well done (imo) was the demo of Cyberpunk 2077. There were humans thrown away in the bathtub which were nude. It felt realistic to me and not done for the nudity itself. It felt to me like the scum that lived in that place would do this as they didn't care about those people, they were objects to them. It's not necessary to be in there, but it ads atmosphere and realism for that game in my opinion. Btw, I totally get that this stuff is not everyones cup of tea and I do think it would be a good idea to have sliders in games to remove or tone that stuff down. Everyone is different. The more options, the better.

As someone who hasn't listened to the podcast yet this comment means nothing to me. Would you mind explaining it what it is about?
Kyle said in corrections that there were some people last week who commented on the dad that asked for a sort of streammode for nudity and such in games (which I think would be a good idea) because he was playing GoW with his kids, but didn't want them to see the nudity. And the discussion is that some people find it weird that he is ok with showing them the violence in GoW, but not the nudity. There are some comments about this again this week.

I honestly think it's a cultural thing. Violence and nudity can be done well in games and they can get over-the-top and gross. Those lines are different to each person, which makes it difficult to discuss imo.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

A Love and Respect where a dad was saying he'd be fine playing through the original God of War games with his kids when they got a bit older if it weren't for the sex/nudity scenes.

I'm not sure it's necessarily dumb. It just depends on the person and usually on the place they live/where they were born. It's cultural.
Some people find Violence way worse and others nudity. It's just a difference of opinion and I don't think either one of them is the superior opinion (depending on the kind of violence and nudity, I guess).

I personally would find it awkward to play those GoW scenes with people next to me (whatever age they are), but I do think Belgium (and I guess Europe in general) has less problems with nudity in games compared to at least the US. That said I'm actually not sure what side I'm on for this one. It depends on the content.

But again, it depends on which person you are asking. It's mature content (both nudity and violence) and because of that not everybody wants to be exposed to that. I know my sister doesn't like either of them in games and she is in her 30's.

A good example of nudity (imo) was the demo of Cyberpunk 2077. There were humans thrown away in the bathtub which were nude. It felt realistic to me and not done for the nudity itself. It felt to me like the scum that lived in that place would do this as they didn't care about those people. It's not necessary to be in there, but it ads atmosphere and realism for that game in my opinion. Btw, I totally get that this stuff is not everyones cup of tea and I think it would be a good idea to have sliders in games to remove or tone down that stuff.

Kyle talked in correction that there were some people last week who commented on the dad that asked for a sort of streammode for nudity and such in games (which I think would be a good idea) because he was playing GoW with his kids, but didn't want them to see the nudity. And the discussion is that some people find it weird that he is ok with showing them the violence in GoW, but not the nudity. There are some comments about this again this week.

I honestly think it's a cultural thing. Violence and nudity can be done well in games and they can get over-the-top and gross. Those lines are different to each person, which makes it difficult to discuss imo.

I'm not gonna deny that there may other cultural factors involved, but with video games this sort of argument: "why is murder and violence ok but sex isn't?" completely ignores all that damaging effects certain portrayals of sex and nudity can have. Case in point, in the original God of War games the women are gratuitous caricatures there for Kratos to enjoy and to titillate horny boys. This shit obviously has run-on effects. There is no evidence that a young person seeing violence in a game or movie means they're going to develop a penchant for violence or murder in real life, but it is absolutely the case that the way women are depicted in media whether it's games, TV or movies, does impact how men view women in real life.

Ignoring the very real impact of sexist depictions of women like in the original God of War because "don't take my game boobs away" and hiding it behind an argument of "oh you Americans are so puritan and backwards" is transparent as hell and that's exactly what the YT comment is about.

Great chat.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I'm not gonna deny that there may other cultural factors involved, but with video games this sort of argument: "why is murder and violence ok but sex isn't?" completely ignores all that damaging effects certain portrayals of sex and nudity can have. Case in point, in the original God of War games the women are gratuitous caricatures there for Kratos to enjoy and to titillate horny boys. This shit obviously has run-on effects. There is no evidence that a young person seeing violence in a game or movie means they're going to develop a penchant for violence or murder in real life, but it is absolutely the case that the way women are depicted in media whether it's games, TV or movies, does impact how men view women in real life.

Ignoring the very real impact of sexist depictions of women like in the original God of War because "don't take my game boobs away" and hiding it behind an argument of "oh you Americans are so puritan and backwards" is transparent as hell and that's exactly what the YT comment is about.
I get you and I agree that the way women are depicted in the media should change. That said, we are talking about games meant for adult players. Which means they should be expected to be able to differentiate between a game and real-life. I am not saying that this justifies everything and while I haven't played any GoW, I have seen some of those scenes before and I am not convinced they add a lot to those games (from and outside perspective).

I know there are people who think it's fine to treat women like crap, which is obviously deplorable, but I am not convinced the depiction of women in the media has more impact on how women are viewed in real-life compared to violence. Adult people should be able to understand the difference. If they can't they shouldn't play those games imo.

To give my sister as an example again. She knows she doesn't like games with violence and nudity, so she avoids playing them. She doesn't mind that those games exist though (again, depending on how strong the content is, that Steam rape game obviously goes way too far and it's honestly shocking how somebody could get the idea of creating it).

I am not convinced that stuff should be in GoW (as this is clearly done for the nudity, which I usually roll my eyes to), I personally prefer a more natural way of showing that stuff if necessary (I personally don't think most games and movies/series should have that kind of stuff to begin with), but I don't care too much that it's in there either. That said, I for sure wouldn't play a game like GoW with my kids (and not only for the nudity). I am sure it's not going to do a lot of harm, but let kids be kids as long as they can.

But again, I get where you are coming from. I am all for a more realistic depiction of women (and people in general) in games and I do think it's best to be careful on how to depict people in media if it does have an impact on how people react to them in real-life.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I know there are people who think it's fine to treat women like crap, which is obviously deplorable, but I am not convinced the depiction of women in the media has more impact on how women are viewed in real-life compared to violence. Adult people should be able to understand the difference. If they can't they shouldn't play those games imo.

This is a cop out. Adult people should know not to be racist, sexist, addicted to drugs, steal, kill etc but they go ahead and do it anyway. Violence in video games is so rarely targeted like the sexualisation of women is. You're killing zombies, or bandits, or monsters, or demons. If a game had you only killing women with extreme violence, this would be an entirely different conversation. Violence in games is equal opportunity, sexualisation is not.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
A Love and Respect where a dad was saying he'd be fine playing through the original God of War games with his kids when they got a bit older if it weren't for the sex/nudity scenes.

Great chat.

There is absolutely evidence that being exposed to violence can really mess you up. It's called post traumatic stress disorder. Some of the developers working on mortal kombat 11 reported symptoms of it from being exposed to violent content on a daily basis. Granted they were also seeing images/video of real life violence but the point still stands. Personally the "break her wings" section from one of the LOU 2 trailers messed me up for a couple days.

So yes, while the kid might not go out and attempt to break his friends arms with a hammer they can still be psychologically damaged by such images.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely evidence that being exposed to violence can really mess you up. It's called post traumatic stress disorder. Some of the developers working on mortal kombat 11 reported symptoms of it from being exposed to violent content on a daily basis. Granted they were also seeing images/video of real life violence but the point still stands. Personally the "break her wings" section from one of the LOU 2 trailers messed me up for a couple days.

So yes, while the kid might not go out and attempt to break his friends arms with a hammer they can still be psychologically damaged by such images.
Absolutely, but I would say there is quite an enormous gap between something like God of War 1/2/3 (especially with the dated visuals) and a game known for it's ridiculous dedication to gore, and another that's all about horrific realism.

Status
Not open for further replies.