• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kyle acted like his usual self

Someone was frustrated by this and vented that frustration in this thread

Several other folks in this thread were frustrated that someone was venting frustration in the midst of a discussion about a video they enjoyed and found entertaining

That's it
Phew, I can rest easy!

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Podcast looks amazing with the monitors. That logo is so nice I wish it was the official EZA one across the board.
Man the latest podcast was really really good. Great discussions and Damiani was on fire. Loved his takes on E3
Yeah, I really enjoyed the podcast as well and I do agree that the monitors add a lot to the stage.
It reminds me of a Dutch gamewebsite which I used to watch who also had some monitors in the back (although small ones) and it makes it easier to differentiate the different shows (although the lights EZA has work well for that as well).
E3 and betting specials are for the dreamers. If you dare to dream you deserve to win.
You make it difficult to not react to that statement ;), but I won't in the way you are hoping for.

Apparently there is an other Ben review:

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Damiani is 100% right when he talked about the ethics of giving a dev free feedback at E3.
I don't completely agree as I personally don't see a problem with giving a dev feedback for free. That said, I do understand where Damiani is coming from and I don't see any fault with his approach either, especially if the person just isn't comfortable with giving them free feedback.

I guess it becomes somewhat more blurry if the game is coming out in the next couple of months as they are basically showing you the full product (minus some bug testing), so they are basically using you as free QA testers. I would probably not give them too much feedback at that stage either, especially for a AAA game, but I wouldn't have problem giving some feedback to a dev for free if it's an indie game with a small team that's not releasing for a long time.

I don't think giving feebdack to a dev is necessarily a dirty thing to do. It's only helping consumers if the game gets better as a result. The dream would be that all games that release are perfect games. That will obviously never happen, but I don't think helping devs create better games isn't necessarily a problem, even if you are a reviewer. It just helps them becoming better devs, that will only make the industry better in the end.

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I don't completely agree as I personally don't see a problem with giving a dev feedback for free. That said, I do understand where Damiani is coming from and I don't see any fault with his approach either, especially if the person just isn't comfortable with giving them free feedback.

I guess it becomes somewhat more blurry if the game is coming out in the next couple of months as they are basically showing you the full product (minus some bug testing), so they are basically using you as free QA testers. I would probably not give them too much feedback at that stage either, especially for a AAA game, but I wouldn't have problem giving some feedback to a dev for free if it's an indie game with a small team that's not releasing for a long time.

I don't think giving feebdack to a dev is necessarily a dirty thing to do. It's only helping consumers if the game gets better as a result. The dream would be that all games that release are perfect games. That will obviously never happen, but I don't think helping devs create better games isn't necessarily a problem, even if you are a reviewer. It just helps them becoming better devs, that will only make the industry better in the end.

I dont see what the big deal is either. Your giving your opinion as someone who is previewing the game, not as someone reviewing the game. If I played a demo and I thought the enemies took too many hits to kill and I told the devs that and it caused them to adjust that then I see that as a net positive. Telling the devs my opinion cost me nothing and it lead to a better game for everyone.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I see where the other side is coming from but giving an off hand feedback comment in passing to a dev at a booth that could plant a seed in their head isn't really the same as giving them free QA work.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love Kyle so much. That stupid Halo "Kich kich kich"-pistol bit had me in stitches at work.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Interview

Bloodworth - I totally forgot that it was so close, but after seeing a lot of Judgment reviews I wondered if EZA already got a copy or do you have to wait for the release to get one (I imagine that Huber or Ben want to review the game, if not, that's ok too).

I don't understand how those outlets did find the time to review this undoubtedly massive game so close after E3, but I don't know how long they have their copies obviously.

I just got an email that my copy is already sent out (too soon as apparently the digital release is tomorrow, but the physical one is only in a couple of days) and it made me a lot more curious about the game, which made me notice all those reviews.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodworth - I totally forgot that it was so close, but after seeing a lot of Judgment reviews I wondered if EZA already got a copy or do you have to wait for the release to get one (I imagine that Huber or Ben want to review the game, if not, that's ok too).

I don't understand how those outlets did find the time to review this undoubtedly massive game so close after E3, but I don't know how long they have their copies obviously.

I just got an email that my copy is already sent out (too soon as apparently the digital release is tomorrow, but the physical one is only in a couple of days) and it made me a lot more curious about the game, which made me notice all those reviews.
Ben said on the group stream that he's in the middle of reviewing it, so I'm sure he'll get it done as soon as he can.

And as for other outlets, I have to think most of them probably didn't send their entire staff to E3, so they had at least one spare person to review the game who wasn't completely exhausted.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Ben said on the group stream that he's in the middle of reviewing it, so I'm sure he'll get it done as soon as he can.

And as for other outlets, I have to think most of them probably didn't send their entire staff to E3, so they had at least one spare person to review the game who wasn't completely exhausted.
Whoops, I didn't check the groupstream yet. I usually do so Thursday evening/night (so in a couple of hours) or during the weekend. So it seems my question was redundant, should have waited just a bit longer to ask that question.

I was just curious if they received the game or not, I don't mind it taking a bit longer and actually prefer for reviewers to take their time with games instead of trying to rush it to get it done as quickly as possible.

Vengerberg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We do live in a post-Trump world, in which people can no longer distinguish entertainment from the real thing. Kind of scary to see people taking the Allies that seriously.

Let me break it to you, the Allies make entertainment. They put a lot of passion in this project, and stay true to themselves in making their content.

But they also try to entertain, so sometimes they'll take on a bit of a role. For instance, with Glinny's cauldron game, Kyle would often remind the Allies they had picked up the wrong ingredient, playing the devil's advocate. That's him playing a bit of a role.

Same goes for when he's a bit extra snarky. Same goes for Ian in his Update videos, he will alternate between being himself and taking on a bit of a role.

The betting special is a show in which the main goal is to entertain us, so you can expect the allies to react a bit more over the top, et cetera. It's all for show; the actual bet is hardly important.

So to see one judge Kyle based on a role he plays,is quite scary. Do you also don't like the actor who played the bad guy in The Avengers?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Great Reaction Shots this month, I really liked the video background

Also, when are we getting Kyle to playthrough Hypnospace Outlaw? Seems like his sort of jam.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
We do live in a post-Trump world, in which people can no longer distinguish entertainment from the real thing. Kind of scary to see people taking the Allies that seriously.

Let me break it to you, the Allies make entertainment. They put a lot of passion in this project, and stay true to themselves in making their content.

But they also try to entertain, so sometimes they'll take on a bit of a role. For instance, with Glinny's cauldron game, Kyle would often remind the Allies they had picked up the wrong ingredient, playing the devil's advocate. That's him playing a bit of a role.

Same goes for when he's a bit extra snarky. Same goes for Ian in his Update videos, he will alternate between being himself and taking on a bit of a role.

The betting special is a show in which the main goal is to entertain us, so you can expect the allies to react a bit more over the top, et cetera. It's all for show; the actual bet is hardly important.

So to see one judge Kyle based on a role he plays,is quite scary. Do you also don't like the actor who played the bad guy in The Avengers?

I wonder if people actually thought Brandon Jones was really mad at them for the betting special's opening bit.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking, it would be really funny and probably lead to a trial if for the E3 bets monologues one of them did a musician performing John Cage's 4'33", especially since he died on 1992.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I wonder if people actually thought Brandon Jones was really mad at them for the betting special's opening bit.
I think there were people who legit thought Kyle was mad at Ian during the Animal Crossing Easy Update so I'm going to say yes.
No and No for me. I loved both of them. I also love TTE, Fiasconauts and the crazy skits Kyle did during Bosman V Wozniak.
So it's not like I don't get skits or roles, I usually love them.
I also enjoy most Easy Updates including the very weird ones and I think the Glinny's caldron opening is probably my favourite opening Kyle ever had on the podcast.

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I wasnt gonna weigh in on this but it is dumb that kyle decided to change his mind on the final fantasy release date debt. I only say this because (from what I remember) damiani correctly predicted exactally what happened and asked if the concert would count. I'm not mad about it or anything but it just makes me want to have zero investment in the bets since can just make up whatever they want.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Late shoutout to Brad for killing it this E3. Provided some awesome insight and loved his energy throughout.
I loved his chestbonking during the Banjo reveal right after Donkey Kong chestbonked (not sure if that's actually a word or if there is an actual word for what Gorilla's do, but I guess everybody knows what I mean). I didn't catch it during the stream, but I believe the clips video pointed it out and it was awesome.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
OH MY GOD. THIS IS BETTER THAN WHAT I WANTED.

I know I'm probably not the best person to post it here, but as a lot of people seem to be excited for this, here you go (btw, no hard feelings any more at all against Kyle or Huber, just posting a video). I'm not sure I'm going to actually watch it if it happens, although I am going to watch Hoeg's video.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia

I know I'm probably not the best person to post it here, but as a lot of people seem to be excited for this, here you go (btw, no hard feelings any more at all against Kyle or Huber, just posting a video). I'm not sure I'm going to actually watch it if it happens, although I am going to watch Hoeg's video.

34 minutes OMG HAHAHA.
Fast forward to 20-something and I see random shots of Emma Stone and Littlefinger. Will definitely watch later.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I finished it as well. I enjoyed the video a lot.
Thank you very much ByteSizeRick, that was fantastic!
You also more or less said what I was thinking this whole time (and yes, I know it was tongue-in-cheek, it was still fantastic).
I hope it does wonders for your channel as it's well deserved.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this bet saga keeps going, and not just a return next E3 (or whenever the next Betting Special is). Would love some bonus bits randomly popping up after Huber Syndrome or Easy Update that continue the story... but I'm not holding my breath.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Bonus bits with Kyle means him driving a couple of hours for those bonus bits. Not sure how close Huber is, but it's not something that's quick to shoot because of the commute. But you never know.

I honestly enjoyed the once we got now for E3. I usually love it when they do them, but I honestly didn't expect to be an insane influx of bonus bits by getting the studio. I think they will happen every now and then, just like they did at GT.

I have the feeling a lot of people had something too crazy in their head of what the studio would be. We got a lot of great content out of the studio and their production values went way up by moving there. All the rest is a nice extra imo. They only moved there half a year ago. There is plenty of time in the future to make more improvements and shoot bonus bits every once in a while.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Official Blood Statement. Let's get justice for Damiani. Doesn't matter if it doesn't change the outcome of the betting special. We need justice.

I just really want another trial.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I just noticed in Hoeg's video, he put his own bet card on the screen and he put $420 on no release date. Maybe some added incentive to make this video!

Also everything he said in the video is clearly right and I don't know how anyone could possibly argue against it at this point

Edit: he actually mentions the Don Bucks he lost at the end, I hadn't finished the video when I posted. Thought it would be funnier to sneak that in but not actually mention it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Bonus bits with Kyle means him driving a couple of hours for those bonus bits. Not sure how close Huber is, but it's not something that's quick to shoot because of the commute. But you never know.

I honestly enjoyed the once we got now for E3. I usually love it when they do them, but I honestly didn't expect to be an insane influx of bonus bits by getting the studio. I think they will happen every now and then, just like they did at GT.

I have the feeling a lot of people had something too crazy in their head of what the studio would be. We got a lot of great content out of the studio and their production values went way up by moving there. All the rest is a nice extra imo. They only moved there half a year ago. There is plenty of time in the future to make more improvements and shoot bonus bits every once in a while.
My take: they batch record all kinds of podcasts, impressions, etc.... Bonus bits could be a part of that, if they wanted. Not saying they should be or "how dare they not do this!" but it's not impossible. The thing that GT had over EZA is the spontaneity of the bonus bits: they could just grab someone during the normal workday to shoot whatever random thing, and to me that's the main reason why we don't get them anymore. These would have to be more deliberate and planned and that requires time and coordinating, even outside of travel. So I completely get why they don't do them, but that doesn't make me miss them any less. I try and savor the ones we do get, but always hope they surprise us with more.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
My take: they batch record all kinds of podcasts, impressions, etc.... Bonus bits could be a part of that, if they wanted. Not saying they should be or "how dare they not do this!" but it's not impossible. The thing that GT had over EZA is the spontaneity of the bonus bits: they could just grab someone during the normal workday to shoot whatever random thing, and to me that's the main reason why we don't get them anymore. These would have to be more deliberate and planned and that requires time and coordinating, even outside of travel. So I completely get why they don't do them, but that doesn't make me miss them any less. I try and savor the ones we do get, but always hope they surprise us with more.
The thing is, I think bonus bits were always a Kyle creation, and he's been using most of his free creative time toward Box Peek. Perhaps when he's done with those, we'll get him doing a few other things, like bonus bits.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, I think bonus bits were always a Kyle creation, and he's been using most of his free creative time toward Box Peek. Perhaps when he's done with those, we'll get him doing a few other things, like bonus bits.
Yeah, that seems to track. But even after Box Peek, I'm not gonna expect them. I've really come to accept that the era of the consistent Bonus Bit is gone, and I'm not even salty about it. If it's not something they're keen to do, I'd rather them not do it. Go ahead and do it when they want. If it happens, great. If not, okay.

But yeah, that hasn't stopped me from hoping this betting saga extends past the Trial by Combat on Tuesday. Seems like Kyle is setting up some cool lore with Don and the Don Bucks and now the FF7R controversy... just feels ripe for some fun story bits... and I just hope we don't have to wait too long to find out more...

Status
Not open for further replies.