• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I think it has to do with how they want publishers and their community to view them (and maybe how they want to view themselves): as a part of "games media" rather than just "influencers." IGN doesn't delay (or risk delaying) reviews so the reviewer can play 2 hours of Mario Maker on stream.

I'm happy to sacrifice 1 or 2 of 9* allies on a stream for a few hundred people so they can get a review out on time that thousands more will watch. The only time it's a bummer for me is if one ally in particular was pushing for a game or obviously the biggest fan of that game, then they miss that stream when it happens. I can't pull specifics out of my brain but I know it's happened a few times.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I think it has to do with how they want publishers and their community to view them (and maybe how they want to view themselves): as a part of "games media" rather than just "influencers." IGN doesn't delay (or risk delaying) reviews so the reviewer can play 2 hours of Mario Maker on stream.

I'm happy to sacrifice 1 or 2 of 9* allies on a stream for a few hundred people so they can get a review out on time that thousands more will watch. The only time it's a bummer for me is if one ally in particular was pushing for a game or obviously the biggest fan of that game, then they miss that stream when it happens. I can't pull specifics out of my brain but I know it's happened a few times.

Most notable ones that come to mind were Ben missing DBFZ and Soul Calibur 6.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Ultimately I just don't feel like the studio's being utilized as well as it could so far. Perhaps I had too high expectations, but at times I frankly can't help but feel like it's even a bit of a waste right now, outside of adding some eye candy. Obviously that's not true for practicality reasons though, I just haven't been feeling it in the way I had hoped.

I mean, I definitely thought they'd at least be getting together way more than they currently are. (yeah, it's a Patreon goal of sorts. I gotta echo that I don't like that at all.) And I expected this would naturally spawn some additional content, even if it's just impromptu 5 minute videos of the Allies doing, well, anything.

That said I know it has been a hectic period for them and I do expect this stuff to evolve over time, so I'm not letting it bother me too much for now.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I didnt realize EZA had dipped way below $50k. Did some big sponsors bow out or something?

Last I checked they were close to hitting the $52k goal.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately I just don't feel like the studio's being utilized as well as it could so far. Perhaps I had too high expectations, but at times I frankly can't help but feel like it's even a bit of a waste right now, outside of adding some eye candy. Obviously that's not true for practicality reasons though, I just haven't been feeling it in the way I had hoped.

I mean, I definitely thought they'd at least be getting together way more than they currently are. (yeah, it's a Patreon goal of sorts. I gotta echo that I don't like that at all.) And I expected this would naturally spawn some additional content, even if it's just impromptu 5 minute videos of the Allies doing, well, anything.

That said I know it has been a hectic period for them and I do expect this stuff to evolve over time, so I'm not letting it bother me too much for now.

Yeah, I can't say that I don't agree. However, this is a fucked up year for the allies. I don't expect anything to get better any time soon. However, I do hope things gradually improve, and if they don't, I hope they take a look at their current model and consider making adjustments.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Is editing a big bottleneck for EZA? Maybe they could add a Patreon goal to fund a new editor, though I'm not sure how well that would work in attracting new Patrons.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Brandon always said they'd never hire someone based on a patreon goal
Yeah, I see how that could become an issue. But honestly, outside of dream shows like Mandatory Update and Final Bosman (which aren't happening), I really can't think of any patreon goals which could cause a sustained increase in funding beyond what they have right now. 50k might just be the feasible limit of what EZA can get on Patreon, barring some unforeseen viral explosion in popularity.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
z8fQnuz.png

Looking at the past year, Patron wise, they're at their Pre-E3 numbers, which is great, but about a year low dollar wise. The E3 subs are gone now, but they're also missing out on $2100 in sponsors and $800 in D&D pledges.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo the feeling that I haven't really felt the value of the studio so far. That is not to say things haven't improved but the perceived value of studio and pre studio content wise has been kind of the same. I def would love more duo/trio let's plays but also the way the uncharted thing turned out doesn't make it exciting to raise for.

They're in due for some changes I think but there has been a lot of real life things happening for them so it's probably too challenging to tackle some of these challenges.

I will say the seasonal shows are great and I'm looking forward to what is next and my opinion is def colored by not being in love with achieve it yourself as much as other people seem to be. Currently I'm waiting on the far from home spoiler mode, I think as a patron that's currently where I feel the most value so far from pledging although I feel other events like e3 have made the releases on them become somewhat irregular. Still eagerly awaiting box peek s2.

That said I guess I'm just along for the ride, EZA has become comfort content in a way but yeah looking forward to when they get around for a light shakeup that could conjure some excitement.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I guess I'm "glad" to see that im not the only person feeling apathetic towards easy allies lately. I know they've had a tough year but I feel like they should have used the new studio as a springboard to really push for some new types of content. I know weve got mysterious monsters now and I'm sure that's a pretty big time sink for ian.

I really hope that we can end this year with a clean slate. Bosman will be done with boxpeek, everyone will be back in the studio, hopefully ben has some sort of new tabletop type show.

I would like to see the allies really look at how kinda funny runs there patreon now since it makes so much sense. Hold a massive fundraiser at the beginning of the year where you pay for all the shows your going to be producing (with stretch goals for more shows and meet and greets) and have the actual patreon tiers just be different levels of access to the content.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with a lot of sentiments here, but in fairness to them the patron count is doing quite well, and Jones has been touting the Twitch and YouTube income, so hopefully they can pivot on the Patreon goals before the end of the year. With all the life-altering events for the gang over the last few months I am more than willing to give them a pass, and I am sure they will look to boost things soon. I definitely understand why they chose to move Mysterious Monsters into production, but losing that as a Patron carrot was a difficult decision. Keith said it well regarding their current stretch goals not having the same oomph, or the same correlation to necessary funding in order to happen.

I am hopeful Easy Livin will give them a boost, Jones and Huber will get back in the fold, and things can get into motion for the next phase of EZA. But year 4 hasn't been a failure thus far by any stretch, just definitely opportunities for improvement.

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I personally find the "full playthrough funday" goal borderline insulting. To be clear, I don't think this was done with bad intent, but it's just bad look. Patrons funded this "dream" studio that has one of the best group streaming set ups imaginable. This would theoretically take very little $ extra to produce and it's something they've done in the past "for free," but now it's a goal. To me, it's kind of akin to Nintendo Switch just kind of adding a paywall to the Switch Online without improving anything. Like, the more high quality shows/streams they produce, more people will sub to them on Twitch/Youtube.

Yeah.......100% can't argue with this one.

We were so excited about the studio, only to find out the main thing we wanted was another 2k ontop of that........

Last edited:

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I personally find the "full playthrough funday" goal borderline insulting. To be clear, I don't think this was done with bad intent, but it's just bad look. Patrons funded this "dream" studio that has one of the best group streaming set ups imaginable. This would theoretically take very little $ extra to produce and it's something they've done in the past "for free," but now it's a goal. To me, it's kind of akin to Nintendo Switch just kind of adding a paywall to the Switch Online without improving anything. Like, the more high quality shows/streams they produce, more people will sub to them on Twitch/Youtube.

I could not agree more. Actually starting to make me aphatetic to the whole thing. It's clear the FPF goal is one of the most requested things since they started up and putting it behind such a high tier goal after all the amount of money raised on the Patreon, it's a bit insulting.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with what is being said, but I've come to a sort of acceptance with EZA and what they as a group are capable of with the money and the time they have.

Compared to Gametrailers, they are nine people total, all of them on-camera personalities. They don't make enough money or have a big enough studio to make that place their 9-5 station for their work. I'm sure they're super grateful for it, and it's a massive upgrade from the garage from a comfort and convenience standpoint.

They all have their roles, and because they aren't a bigger company, more of the mundane work goes to everyone we see. Brad mostly does reviews and retros, Ben mostly does reviews and hosts Frame Trap, Huber mostly does reviews and hosts a couple of shows, Blood mostly manages everything, Damiani mostly runs the streaming side of things and hosts Friend Code, Ian mostly edits and hosts a couple of shows, as well as runs the podcast studio side of things, Kyle mostly hosts the main podcast and works on Box Peek, Jones dips his toes into most things, voicing, hosting a variety of shows, etc. and Don is the only part-timer, spending most of that time editing. But beyond that, every other thing they do is also shared between these nine individuals and nobody else.

Its obvious to me that, until they're able to be in a position wherein they have off-camera staff who run the controls for streaming and podcasts, edit everything, doing setup and shooting, etc. they have a limit in their capability, and that limit is basically hit right now. I completely agree that it's unfortunate that certain shows aren't done more often, and sometimes not to the level they were at Gametrailers, and I agree that shows shouldn't be behind Patreon goals in an ideal situation, but they have to have attainable tiered goals, and there's really not much that can be put there besides new shows. They're already at a point where they've had to cut back or completely cut some shows because they're already at their production limit for the budget and staffing capabilities that they have.

They need a staff. At least a couple people. But how are they supposed to do that? How can they afford that? They're already not making much at all for people living in LA. I think we are seeing the upper limits of what is possible with a PURELY-crowdfunded venture. At some point, that's just not enough.

Full playthrough fridays, though. Those should have happened with the studio, tbh. I don't think there's a good enough excuse for that. People love them and they're much more focused than the group streams.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought that they would have sone another Full Playtrough Funday for free after that Uncharted one. At that moment everyone was sick. I naively thought that the Allies would come together after the whole sick-wave and do another one to make up for it. That Uncharted full playtrough made the tier look worse. 2 people for a full playtrough is simply not enough...

Another thing that bothers me a bit: When the Allies agrees for the absent of someone, i feel they should fill in the shoes for that person, a little bit at least. I don't see why someone couldnt do a 'Syndrome' for a month, or a Trailer Jones for a month. Now its just: he's not there, no show then sorry.

Ps: Their E3 coverage has been amazing so maybe we shouldnt be too hard on them i guess. And EZ livin is just around the corner. So there's that to look forward to

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing that bothers me a bit: When the Allies agrees for the absent of someone, i feel they should fill in the shoes for that person, a little bit at least. I don't see why someone couldnt do a 'Syndrome' for a month, or a Trailer Jones for a month. Now its just: he's not there, no show then sorry.

But they're already totally stretched even at full manpower from what Jones says on CoJ. Ben had to skip out on the podcast after being advertised for it, likely for Fire Emblem coverage. If that's the case, then what do you suggest?

I imagine complaints would be even louder if they missed embargo judging by some reviews.

Oct 27, 2017
But they're already totally stretched even at full manpower from what Jones says on CoJ. Ben had to skip out on the podcast after being advertised for it, likely for Fire Emblem coverage. If that's the case, then what do you suggest?

I imagine complaints would be even louder if they missed embargo judging by some reviews.
I don't have the solution of course as i dont see their schedule. (Where did the Tabletop escapade time go into?). How about a couple of allies doing a couple of extra hours this month, and when Jones/Huber comes back, they got those hours back with Jones and Huber doing a couple of hours extra afterwards.

I know what i say sounds very businessy and icky but thats how companies work.

Oct 27, 2017
I think its the post-E3 effect actually lol. This happens every year lol. We saw them for a big portion in June and now it feels like there's not as much. Still a happy Patreon here, cant wait for EZ Livin'

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I have mixed feelings on the studio. The stage area has only been used well imo during E3, all other times it's completely underutilized. It feels like it's mostly used when there are just 3 people and just 3 people at that desk is not cozy, the space swallows them.
I looooooove the stream room though. Everything about that space is perfect for what they use it for. I also actually really loved Kinda Funny using it during E3, that felt super cozy for a laid back podcast chat. Just wish like others, it was used more than just once a week.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the solution of course as i dont see their schedule. (Where did the Tabletop escapade time go into?). How about a couple of allies doing a couple of extra hours this month, and when Jones/Huber comes back, they got those hours back with Jones and Huber doing a couple of hours extra afterwards.

I know what i say sounds very businessy and icky but thats how companies work.

Yeah, the issue with that is that we have some games that needed coverage this month which would need to be dropped, and not so much next month until the very end and from what Jones has said, they've had conversations about them not burning the candle at both ends, but even then it still happens. It's not how all companies work, I have a member of my team off right now and we all finish at 5 and push back on work due to that fact as part of a mental health & stress initiative from a couple of years back that worked really well.

That said, I'm not the happiest bunny with everything right now, though I am fine with shows taking time off while personal events happen and it's for totally different reasons than others have stated (other than not using the studio as much), so there's no easy answer. Unlike the post that started all this off, I wouldn't care if Top 10's vanished from the face of the earth with no prior warning. But I'm really missing that weekly long-form storytelling from Tabletop Escapades and waiting to hear what becomes of that. Hearing Jones say that they're kicking around ideas like playing random board games have me a little concerned it's not coming back, but nothing's been decided yet, so it might!

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda agree, kinda don't. I think it comes down to the show, like I think it's fine for Huber Syndrome or Easy Update to go on break because they are Huber and Ian. But the EZA Podcast going on break or having a L&R episode because Kyle is on holiday is amateur hour IMO. It's the flagship podcast, get one of the other Allies to take over for a week.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the issue with that is that we have some games that needed coverage this month which would need to be dropped, and not so much next month until the very end and from what Jones has said, they've had conversations about them not burning the candle at both ends, but even then it still happens. It's not how all companies work, I have a member of my team off right now and we all finish at 5 and push back on work due to that fact as part of a mental health & stress initiative from a couple of years back that worked really well.

That said, I'm not the happiest bunny with everything right now, though I am fine with shows taking time off while personal events happen and it's for totally different reasons than others have stated (other than not using the studio as much), so there's no easy answer. Unlike the post that started all this off, I wouldn't care if Top 10's vanished from the face of the earth with no prior warning. But I'm really missing that weekly long-form storytelling from Tabletop Escapades and waiting to hear what becomes of that. Hearing Jones say that they're kicking around ideas like playing random board games have me a little concerned it's not coming back, but nothing's been decided yet, so it might!
Yeah, top 10s is such a useless show, IMO. Waste of time and resources.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Why don't they just outsource some of the editing, it's not like they need to hire a full time person for that either, since editing seems to be one of the problems

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why don't they just outsource some of the editing, it's not like they need to hire a full time person for that either, since editing seems to be one of the problems
I think they need to train each of the allies in editing to be honest.

I know some have been learning but it seems like that's the real bottleneck for the group.

That and having Jones narrate every video. I appreciate he has the most experience and is iconic but having one or two people have to be involved with every video must slow the process down.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That and having Jones narrate every video. I appreciate he has the most experience and is iconic but having one or two people have to be involved with every video must slow the process down.

They did experiment with this a little with Ben doing an excellent voiceover for a Don't Skip, but Brandon is going to do the voice on all official reviews and previews. I did bring up the idea of other people voicing reviews very occasionally, but both Brandon and Blood say they see comments from people finding them for the first time and going "Woah, the voice from Gametrailers. Thought you were gone!", which seems insane to me after all this time aha.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They did experiment with this a little with Ben doing an excellent voiceover for a Don't Skip, but Brandon is going to do the voice on all official reviews and previews. I did bring up the idea of other people voicing reviews very occasionally, but both Brandon and Blood say they see comments from people finding them for the first time and going "Woah, the voice from Gametrailers. Thought you were gone!", which seems insane to me after all this time aha.
This is the main issue I think that ties into all the points people are bringing up in the last couple of pages.

On the one hand the group could be doing things more efficiently and as a result producing more content but instead the focus is purely on trying to increase their audience which in turn limits them.

I understand of course, the bigger the audience the more money they can earn meaning they can spend more time doing stuff but it's starting to feel like they are running the risk of souring their current supporters (or at least causing fatigue) just to win over the stragglers who still don't know that EA are the former GT people.

Its a tough line to walk I know but after the amount of focus that was put on the studio and how their current supporters rallied behind it in the hopes of helping them out, it can sometimes feel like that mammoth task was really just the beginning instead of the end goal as it always seemed.

I mean part of the sell for the studio was the potential for new content and creative stuff (like final bossman style videos and other stuff) that weren't possible in the garage yet we haven't really had anything like that. Hell, even some of the content they were making has slowed down or stopped completely. I do however appreciate that E3 happened and between Ian, Huber and Jones they have personal stuff that has recently got in the way.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I do think one of the hard truths of EZA is that their most talented show producer (besides Ian) has been tied up on Box Peek for 2 and a half years. Certainly a year and a half. That's not to say Kyle hasn't spearheaded amazing stuff - basically all of the limited runs are his babies - but once he is back in the fold full-time I do expect their creativity to shoot up. Kyle has always been someone who genuinely loves streaming and finding fun and interesting things to do on stream, so hopefully once BP is off his plate that side of EZA will pick up a bit too.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I honestly think a lot of you had probably a bit too high of expectations for the studio. It's more-or-less how I thought it would be (but it's bigger than I anticipated). I do understand most of what everyone said here, but I think most of it is relatively easy to understand why it is like it is.

- More groupstreams / Full playthroughs: They lack the time to do so, especially with the commute for some of the Allies and (at the moment) the lack of people to review games. I am also conviced they stopped doing most of them to entice people to go for the Full Playthrough goal (which I personally don't need, but I know a lot of people would love that to happen and I would probably watch some of them depending on the game). I do feel like more multi person streams could be a good thing, if not for Youtube or their Patreon, for their Twitch channel. They just tried to use the Full Playthrough goal to get people to sign up to their Patreon. People (on here as well) said they needed goals above 50k to keep it going and they came up with that one. My guess is that a lack of time is probably the most important issue.

- People dropping out of shows: I would love the last podcast to be 4 people, but I understand why it happened. Fire Emblem isn't going to review itself. It seems like a long game and they just lack reviewers at the moment. I'm ok with it as long as it's not a regular thing. I do like how Jones adapted CoJ the last time. It's not the same thing, but it's still a good way to produce that show. I personally don't feel like people missing on shows happens all that often (I don't count the groupstream as a show though).

- Reviews taking up too much time: I honestly think it's their best way to grow next to reactions. It's also their way to be different from the competition as EZA's reviews are much more professional compared to most youtubers. I personally wouldn't change that formula even though I do see it having a lot more overhead as it needs 2 to 4 people to produce (depending on who is reviewing and who is editing).

- Editing: That's probably the one I understand the most, but I don't think their patreon money will be easy to split up again to pay that editor. It also depends on how Ian and Don look at that (I am sure Jones will be fine with it). I don't think it's as easy as some people think to "just" outsource editing. Money is probably the big thing (and that goes for all extra roles).

- As far as Top 10s go: I am very surprised as a lot of people were screaming for Top 10s (not me) as it would supposedly give them more subscribers (which would never happen with so many Top 10s on the internet and channels dedicated to Top 10s). I think they are ok, but not my most favourite thing. That said, I don't know how much time they actually have to spend to create those. But again, they specifically added Top 10s because people (on here as well) were screaming for 2 years or so for them to do Top 10s. They didn't want to do Top 10s at first (or at least Jones didn't). I don't mind keeping them as I enjoy them, but I don't think they are mandatory content (btw, I loved them at GT, but the internet is full of them).

All in all they are doing well. Their Patron numbers are still good and it's only because of the lack of a couple of sponsors (and them stopping D&D at the moment, so that goal is somewhat moot) that they are under 50k. I honestly think people worry too much. You also seem to forget that the studio is a godsend for Jones and Amanda. I don't think Milo would exist if EZA was still in that garage.

It's honestly a godsend for EZA in general as well. Their potential to grow is much higher with the studio. Interviews like Ben did for Trails Of Cold Steel III wouldn't have been possible in the garage. It just takes time to grow. Every big change will take time to get used to.

I never really watched KF, but didn't something similar happen to them? I believe their Patreon had a dive as well (or did this have to do with the firing instead of them going into a studio?).

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad it was more of a one off I really liked that one. Also the solo top ten with Kyle on Mortal Kombat was funny and cool as well. I understand that not every ally feels comfortable doing stuff like that but I'm here for the personalities so every piece of content they make that let's that shine is always appreciated.

-----
Also I hope my misgivings don't sound too bad again I want to emphasize that I 100% understand that a lot of shit has been happening this year and I'm perfectly fine being patient and waiting for things to recover and improve/revamp again, I was just kind of sharing the feeling of the current lull.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I have been slowly drifting away from the content. Group stream picks have been hit or miss, i still tune in for the podcast of course but depending on the guests for the other podcasts, frame trap and friend code, I generally will just skip them more often than not now.

Kyle is far too infrequent a guest on the other podcasts.
Creative streams need to make a massive comeback, full playthroughs should not be tier dependent.
They need to cut the fat and make sure that quantity does not overwhelm the potential for quality content.

Streaming alone makes for pretty poor content, but when they have others to interact with it becomes much much better.

That is what it is all about, interactions between the allies, inside jokes, banter amongst themselves and chat etc.

It all seems robotic, mechanised and too structured now which is not what drew me to them.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Do we know if and when a Spoiler Mode for Far From Home is coming? Brandon mentioned the possibility on CoJ and it would be cool to hear from Kyle and Damiani what they thought about it.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Funny to see similar sentiment here at the same time I've also been feeling about EZA and the studio seeming like a dip in production rather than an escalation. Obviously there's been a lot of real world crazy stress stuff going on for a third of The Nine, but before even that it didn't seem like any clear goals had been set. I think they definitely suffer from not having a defacto 'boss' driving them in specific directions, and now Jones is off for a bit, thats going to feel worse still.

- I've never been particularly impressed by the studio setup. I dunno if thats a budget thing, but its just never hit the notes with me where it feels like a huge upgrade over Jones garage. It also doesn't feel like its enabled any 'New' content other than Mysterious Monsters, which it also seems ill fitted to because you need BIG ASS space to do a gameshow, especially with physical gimmicks. The main podcast room has always felt a bit too 'industrial', but then doesn't use any of its tech for a darn thing. They have monitors in the background now that just have logos on them, while Ian throws up images of stuff the viewer cannot see. Bit shit. Bit garagey. The tilt on the streaming set might be by design for space issues, but it feels a lot less direct than the Garage setup for Huber Full Playthroughs and the old GT Fridays. For a space created entirely dedicated to streaming, it doesn't feel like much of a bump from the Garage. In some ways worse as its lost the real world brightness that would pour into the garage and the streaming room is a constant state of dim.

-Funnily enough, the biggest time I 'felt' the studio was the segment of Bosman and Huber in the reception room getting joke-bollocked by Jones in the betting special. For that one brief moment we were back to GT and the Final Bosman, and it felt good. More than that, it made me think about The 1UP Show. I think EZA would benefit greatly from compiling their content into a weekly (fortnightly?) show format, with casual bookending and then some highlights of the week be that choice cuts of any big interviews they did, a Don't Skip (maybe even save a big review to premiere in the show), and also Best Bits from streaming that week. Its always been fucking absurd they got rid of Weekly Clips and just let youtube fans do it instead as its content I watch more religiously than the stuff I'm Patreon pledging for. Ditch a failing show, make time to get everyone au fait with the edit bay, package your own damn content like teenage bedroom youtubers are doing.

-With current shows, there needs to be a bit of a change up as they've gotten stale several years in. The EZA Podcast is a news podcast that feels like it covers 2.5 topics a week when there are lots more that could be discussed. It's much better in E3 insanity mode. For Frame Trap, I have skipped through the last 3-4 Hottakes as the segment doesn't feel like it works anymore. The guests are presented with an issue they can't research in detail at the time and just have to tread water for 20-40 minutes until a very loose consensus is made with Ben. It goes against the whole surprise concept, but if its to continue on in the same form, guests need to be given the topic ahead of time and consider a position with some facts and tidbits to deliver into the conversation.

- The Finaler Bosman. Box Peek has been fun, but not Kyle In Creative Obscurity For Two Years fun. Especially in a period where he and Ian's cloned lovechild (BDG) appeared, co-opted the format and has enjoyed great success with it. I remember being HIGHLY frustrated at the start of EZA when they were feeding into each others bad artiste habits by saying they shouldn't repeat themselves and completely cut themselves off from returning to some of those previous shows. If a format works, is good, and was the main pull and success story of the previous era, perhaps don't kill it?

-Shows that haven't been working. Trailer Jones has just felt weird. Dunno what it is, it just doesn't feel like the fun viewing that it was back on GT. Tabletop needed to give because I know people had fun with that show, but not "this is half of our production" fun. Game Sleuth should just be put to bed, why pretend. Now for the most unpopular take: The Retrospectives have begun to get a little too weak as well. The Devil May Cry one felt very thin, and not sure if that was by design to be a mini one, but it skimmed off the surface of each game without barely any depth on each entry.

-Things I want back. Gundam was the best content of theirs that I watched every single scrap of. The chillest, funnest time possible. Them being subconsciously distracted by a task at hand brought out a comfortable atmosphere. The same can be said for full playthroughs as they relax over the hours and just have fun. EZA Weekly Clips needs to return of they pay the people currently making them and bring them onto the main channel. Game Grumps did it to great success and many other outfits too. I can't even remember what the excuse was for canning it, but its definitely not brought about a Second Age Of Infinite Content in lieu.

I feel like 2020 needs to be a revolutionary year for the Allies, and they need to really evolve what they're doing into its next form. Which is a tall order when their father figure has some full-time dadding to be getting on with in that period.

Last edited:

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is first time during the EZA-era that I have been slipping in even watching the podcast - the best and most entertaining gaming podcast in the world, dare I say. Which has nothing to do with the content, though. Cancelled my sub for the time being, feels bad. :-(

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
It all seems robotic, mechanised and too structured now which is not what drew me to them.

Weirdly I can relate to that general sentiment - as a selfish viewer, of course. When watching Mandatory Updates (edit: Nights) back in the days and especially through that show getting to know the lot better, it was a revelation that in no way I could let them dissappear into the ether when the inevitable shut down would come.

fast and loose >>>>>>>>>> rigid and stiff all day no doubt :-)

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
fast and loose >>>>>>>>>> rigid and stiff all day no doubt :-)
I understand what you are saying, but not everybody can or wants to work that way.

Ian likes the fast and loose way of making shows (and he is very good at it), but even at GT you could see that Elyse preferred to have it a bit more structured.
I have the feeling Kyle has the same idea of how he wants to structure his podcasts even though he loves improv.

Some people love not having too much prep, other people get very stressed by the idea.
I just don't think that will work for everybody (and not everybody will like watching it either). I personally really enjoyed both Mandatory Update and Mandatory Update Nights, but I probably prefer Mandatory Updates over Nights.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I too have dropped my pledge recently. I was really excited for the off-the-cuff content the studo would allow for but if anything it seems their content has lessened since studio. Easy Update is the only thing I consistently pay attention to now. Used to love the podcast but.... idk what happened.

It feels like the heart has gone missing. The Betting Special was amazing but seems more like a flash in the pan than signalling a turnaround.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I understand what you are saying, but not everybody can or wants to work that way.

Ian likes the fast and loose way of making shows (and he is very good at it), but even at GT you could see that Elyse preferred to have it a bit more structured.

Yeah, lol that was what made it so great ;-) Also having Bloodworth or Ben be on Nights for the first time was so funny with them being bewildered to what kind of a show it was haha

I personally really enjoyed both Mandatory Update and Mandatory Update Nights, but I probably prefer Mandatory Updates over Nights.

I was talking about Nights of course, my bad. ManUps required a lot of preparation iirc

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
This is first time during the EZA-era that I have been slipping in even watching the podcast - the best and most entertaining gaming podcast in the world, dare I say. Which has nothing to do with the content, though. Cancelled my sub for the time being, feels bad. :-(
I too have dropped my pledge recently. I was really excited for the off-the-cuff content the studo would allow for but if anything it seems their content has lessened since studio. Easy Update is the only thing I consistently pay attention to now. Used to love the podcast but.... idk what happened.

It feels like the heart has gone missing. The Betting Special was amazing but seems more like a flash in the pan than signalling a turnaround.
I don't think the podcast style changed that much (if at all) compared to when Kyle started doing the podcast at GT and the last couple of years at EZA. So I still enjoy it a lot. What did change compared to early EZA is the backdrop. I personally like it, but it's possible some people miss the cozy garage and are not into the podcast space too much?

It's either that or that you think the podcast format has become stale (which is possible as it's the same type of thing for probably 5 years now, maybe even longer). I don't see what else has changed that could have lost it's heart/soul. Maybe just Kyle being extremely tired/stressed because of Box Peek (I personally usually don't notice it, but maybe others do).

Btw, I do understand people dropping their pledge if they don't feel it too much any more. It's unfortunate, but completely understandable.

I am still curious if it has to do with people setting too high of expectations for the studio or if it's something else. It seems both of you and most people can't exactly put their finger on what they feel is missing, which makes it somewhat tough for EZA to adapt.

Last edited:

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it can be understated how losing Ian from the group for ~2 months, and then Huber soon after, can impact the dynamics of Easy Allies; not just from a sheer production standpoint, but from a sheer creativity and joy perspective. And I don't mean to say they should have been around - not at all - but it's part of the magic of EZA how the group really shines when all nine are combined. With Brandon gone for the foreseeable future, the group dynamic will change yet again. I'm glad that EZA allows everyone to get much needed space when necessary, so I do not fault them for it in the slightest, but it is a reality of how their audience will perceive their content because they're not getting the "full experience".

Also for what it's worth, you can put me on the side that the studio is 1000x better than the garage in every conceivable way. I like the way the studio looked, even before the screens. I do not miss the garage whatsoever, and can't believe they were able to sustain their level of quality filming there for so long with 9 people.

...I do miss Sophie though!

I think it's funny that here on ResetEra whenever there is a lull in content this thread devolves into "EZA is doomed" or "EZA needs to drastically improve" (I know I am overly generalizing here). We are definitely our own bubble here, as mentioned, their patron count is at nearly an all time high, and their E3 coverage brought in more YT subs than ever before. The facts are that to those new followers, they are just meeting EZA for the first time and are loving what they're seeing - so much so that they're subscribing to them on multiple channels. Meanwhile, everyone here is long in the tooth and reminisces for days of Gundam building. It's definitely fine to criticize them and hope for bigger and better things for the Allies, but I think the tone of these conversations end up a little too dire for how they are actually performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.