• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Considering EZA draws all their revenue from social media platforms like patreon, youtube, and twitch the fact they don't use their twitter's more to promote their content seems like a missed opportunity. Almost every streamer or youtuber I follow is always using the platform to market their videos or live streams and it likely helps to increase exposure.

I'm not much of a live streamer kind of person, but I enjoy watching uncut archived of certain games or edited stream archives for others. Almost all of the mario maker 2 content I watch is from twitch streamers who have their videos edited down to show the best stuff.

I'll admit I don't think EZA's strength is streaming outside of reactions, it's their discussion shows and podcasts where their experience in the industry really shines forward.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, finally decided to join! English isn't my first language so try to bare with me :) I've been following this group of guys since college. So about eight years. And obviously been a patron since day one.

I'm also very hyped for Phase 4. I would like to see less individual streams and more edited short form content (EZA Clips, Dont Skip, Don's Design Lab, making Achieve It Yourself a regular thing). Also hoping for weekly Full Playthrough Friday episodes, about 2-3 hours in length, at least 2-3 Allies present. And since it would be a show, they should post in on their main channel. Not bury it to Easy Allies Plays.

And what should they get rid of? Hard to say. But personally I could live without Reaction Shots, Game Sleuth and long seasons of TTE.

Aside from that "possible repercussions" line, those questions were fine. There is nothing wrong with patrons sending COJ their concerns and presenting them in a polite way. I also haven't always agreed with EZA community, but that's life I guess.

Probably wouldn't be a good business move...

Welcome!

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Got the vibe from CoJ that Don's Design Lab will be making an appearance in some form tonight.

I picked up on that too. Lock it in.

I havnt seen anyone else mention this yet but it's such a bummer that we wont be getting a real podcast next week just because bosman is out of town. I've been able to look past his work with Geoff during E3 because atleast were still getting all of the other allies. Essentially canceling the podcast for a week because kyle took a second job is kind of insulting seeing how its (imo) there flagship product.

Have literally any of the other 7 allies (don will be busy) host it. It would be fun to see someone else take a shot at hosting.

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
Essentially canceling the podcast for a week because kyle took a second job is kind of insulting seeing how its (imo) there flagship product.

Interesting viewpoint. Because I personally am actually quite excited for it, even more so because it's not a regular episode, but a special episode with solo Kyle. This is pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to it even more than I would for a normal episode. Of course not as a regular thing, but as a (at this point) once a year thing, it really isn't even close to being insulting or anything to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it should be all that surprising when you actually look at our accounts. Most of us aren't even posting once per day. I'll comment on things I think are interesting, but I'm certainly not posting photos of myself everywhere I go. What you think should be inherent or natural, I'd argue comes from someone who spends a lot of their time on social media. If you don't, none of that is even a passing thought. I saw Shrek in the garbage, and that moment struck me as being immediately postable, but even looking back on it, there wasn't a whole lot happening off camera that seemed worth sharing.
The fixed camera versus loose camera makes a huge difference and sometimes, a loose camera once in a while is way funner to look at. I'm guessing that's why 'fancy fifteen' and 'And for that reason' were filmed that way. Apart from Easy Update, everything is always fixed, wich doesn't leave much to the imagination. A few quick loose cam vids of for example Huber screaming from a 'behind the scenes' could make wonders on social media.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I think expecting Don to become a regular part of the EZA content schedule is... I'm not gonna say unrealistic, because we're living in a post-E3 of dreams world and any one poster here might turn out to be the Michael P. Huber of Patreon announcements but hoping for a weekly show from someone employed as full-time editor at another channel is approaching new Dino Crisis directed by Mikami, Shemnue 4 shadowdrop, and The Last of Us 2 DLC starring Wesker ALL ON THE SAME DAY levels of hopefulness.

Maybe monthly is possible, though. Maybe that'd only be a Onimusha remake tier prediction.

I havnt seen anyone else mention this yet but it's such a bummer that we wont be getting a real podcast next week just because bosman is out of town. I've been able to look past his work with Geoff during E3 because atleast were still getting all of the other allies. Essentially canceling the podcast for a week because kyle took a second job is kind of insulting seeing how its (imo) there flagship product.

Don't think of it as a solo podcast. Think of it as an extra long episode of Bosman at Home (Abroad In A Cologne Hotel Room)!

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Solo streams are a funny one because after GT shut down, people were clamouring for them to reform or do something, and at that point everyone loved their full playthroughs and random other streams. But those streams worked so well because they had multiple people on them. When EZA started they must have got mixed signals and thought well if people want streams we'll do them solo from our houses. That's not really what most of fanbase wanted. The views show this too, most solo streams get 1k views if that. Compare that to a stream with multiple people, like damiani and kyle playing alttp, that's on nearly 50k views. It's obvious that's what the fans want.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When EZA started they must have got mixed signals and thought well if people want streams we'll do them solo from our houses. That's not really what most of fanbase wanted. The views show this too, most solo streams get 1k views if that. Compare that to a stream with multiple people, like damiani and kyle playing alttp, that's on nearly 50k views. It's obvious that's what the fans want.

i feel that's why people were so hyped for the studio. we thought we would get way more content with multiple allies and then we just didn't. just too long of a drive, i guess..

Oct 25, 2017
My recommendation for Blood/all the Allies, re: Twitter -- for big events like Easy Livin', or just for simple Group Streams, make a list of "shareable moments" that might be interesting for Twitter. Make it a brainstorm at your meetings. Get everyone's heads together to consider how to make your Twitter more than just "hey, we have a new video." It can be super hard in the moment to think if something is post-able, but if you go into the event with some ideas on what you could post, you put yourself in a different mindset. You not only have a list of things to share, but also you're more aware of other great moments that might be shareable.

Like, I'd say the person manning the stream computer (so Damiani 90% of the time) ought to also be engaging with Social Media on Group Stream Nights or during any group events that are streaming. Get BTS videos on their phone, snaps of the set-up, Allies being weird/adorable/rude/etc...

I'm reminded mostly of Ian's Twitter during E3 this year, where he had some great snaps of Kyle sleeping on the floor, Blood at his laptop, Don editing Easy Update, etc. Nothing fancy. But it was far more engaging than using Twitter as an announcer for content.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I hardly ever watch any streams outside of E3 week or Hall of Greats, it's just too much time to invest. Smaller produced shows, or podcasts will always win out for me.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the Allies need to create a bitmoji-esque version of Sophie with various expressions, and have "Sophie" run all their social channels.

Brandon isn't exploiting the real Sophie enough as the unofficial mascot of EZA. /s

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Essentially canceling the podcast for a week because kyle took a second job is kind of insulting seeing how its (imo) there flagship product.

Good lord it's one podcast and you're still getting a solo one, I listen to about seven other and they have all taken a week or two off, either due to personal or other business.

Jesus christ. Listening to the comments about HoG that Jones has to read. This community can really suck sometimes.

I hope Ian takes it to 11 and fucks y'all up next HoG
Me too, it's hilarious seeing people say they had to mute it. It was perfect.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
don't think it's a big deal if they miss one week but it speaks to a larger issue that easy allies feel like 9 guys doing their own thing in their corner and not like a group of people pulling on the same string. should be no problem for any of the other 7 to cover for one week, i also think it would be fun to have a different host for once.

Oct 25, 2017
don't think it's a big deal if they miss one week but it speaks to a larger issue that easy allies feel like 9 guys doing their own thing in their corner and not like a group of people pulling on the same string. should be no problem for any of the other 7 to cover for one week, i also think it would be fun to have a different host for once.
The podcast is Kyle's show, to be fair. He controls everything about it. It may be considered the flagship podcast, but I think that's in name only. It's a true Kyle Bosman joint, not so much a collaboration.

But I agree: I think it'd be interesting to have another host. But I get why Kyle doesn't go for that. Judging by how little help he wants on a lot of his creative endeavors (Box Peek, his Gameboy Game, even his approach to Dreams was "I don't want other people's stuff in my game"), he's kind of a control freak.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Maybe Kyle doesn't want that? It seems to me like he wants to do all that stuff himself (which is perfectly understandable, I am somewhat the same way). I don't see a problem with him doing a solo podcast for one week. That will be different for once as well.

Plus he even announced it on the podcast last time, so it's not even a fact people don't know about.
I think they are handling this as good as it can be handled (even though I would be fine with an other host myself, but it's Kyle's show in the end).
I still am not the biggest fan of all the announcements they made last podcast, but I'm certainly fine with this one.

Me too, it's hilarious seeing people say they had to mute it. It was perfect.
To be fair, the volume of my headset wouldn't have been so cranked up if all EZA stuff wasn't so insanely quiet all the time compared to most youtube stuff I watch (except for the videos they play over their streams, they can be very loud like it was this time).

I didn't mute it, but I did have to run to my receiver (my remote for that one is broken) to turn it down a bit as it did hurt my ears. I'm also lucky in the sense that I don't usually get headaches and I never had had a migraine yet, but I can imagine that this could have been hell for people who easily do have those.
I do think it would have been fine if I didn't use a headset, but they always stream from 3 am my time, so that means I'm using a headset.

But again, I can understand why people enjoyed it. I usually don't mind crazy videos like that either, but I wasn't a fan of this one for some reason.
I do think some people were overreacting as it's not something I would get angry about. I do think it's a wasted opportunity to try and get a game in the HoG though, but maybe the only game Ian still wants in there is Dark Souls.

If that's the case, it might be best to just let him do the timing and do Damiani's job instead as it's otherwise a waste of his time (I'm not saying he should't bring a game any more, but it can be a solution if Ian can't think of a game to put forward any more). Or he can create a couple of other Salmon Globe adds as I love those (but they are probably meant for Mysterious Monsters).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Bring back tournaments. Don't worry so much about playing recent releases for the group stream, and pick games where the whole group can play and have a laugh.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting viewpoint. Because I personally am actually quite excited for it, even more so because it's not a regular episode, but a special episode with solo Kyle. This is pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to it even more than I would for a normal episode. Of course not as a regular thing, but as a (at this point) once a year thing, it really isn't even close to being insulting or anything to me.

Whynotboth.jpg

Theres nothing stopping kyle from recording whatever he wants in Germany with his laptop webcam AND having a normal podcast.

Good lord it's one podcast and you're still getting a solo one, I listen to about seven other and they have all taken a week or two off, either due to personal or other business.

Sure podcasts do have to take a week off from time to time for reasons but saying you cant do the podcast because one person cant be there seems ridiculous. Giant bomb doesnt stop there podcasts when brad or vinny are out of the office. Kinda funny doesnt grind to a halt whenever greg has to be out of the office despite him hosting a lot of there shows.

This is really the heart of my issue. It's weird to me that easy allies often feels like a loose association of people who just happen to produce a lot of content together instead of a team of people working towards common goals. Retros and gameslueths have both died by the opposite ends of the "show must have a host" rule that EZA has. Retros fell to the wayside because there isnt anyone pushing for it and gameslueth because there is only one person pushing it forward.

You can say the same thing about boxpeek. Yes it is Kyle's passion project but he also abandoned it for months because he felt overwhelmed by it. Dont skips are similar, a great idea from ben that only he executed on (as far as I recall) despite Jones saying that he really wanted to do one multiple times.

Anyways I realize that all of this is extra dumb to bring up on the day that eza is about to announce a bunch of changes so I'll drop the issue.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Theres nothing stopping kyle from recording whatever he wants in Germany with his laptop webcam AND having a normal podcast.
There is something stopping them if Kyle doesn't want the others to do the EZA podcast without him or if none of the others are interested in doing the podcast.

It's Kyle's show and different people have different opinions on things, especially on things they created. You might not care if someone else is doing the podcast, but Kyle might. Nothing wrong with that.

Jones was still doing a form of CoJ while Blood could have done it in his stead. Nobody did Huber Hype either while Huber was away.
Just be happy that nothing worse happened and that it's only one week.

Also understand that they have been burned by big companies at the end of GT. It seems logical that they aren't looking forward to doing the same type of job again including all the extra crunch that comes with it (eg. Final Bosman, Mandatory Update, ...) and that they are trying to focus on what each ally wants to do instead.

Also Jones always says he wants to do something but he almost never does, he isn't the best example (I'm not saying he doesn't work, he for sure does).
The reason why Jones hasn't done a Don't skip is because of Jones (and now with Milo it obviously won't happen anytime soon).

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
There is something stopping them if Kyle doesn't want the others to do the EZA podcast without him or if none of the others are interested in doing the podcast.

It's Kyle's show and different people have different opinions on things, especially on things they created. You might not care if someone else is doing the podcast, but Kyle might. Nothing wrong with that.

Jones was still doing a form of CoJ while Blood could have done it in his stead. Nobody did Huber Hype either while Huber was away.
Just be happy that nothing worse happened and that it's only one week.

Theres a difference between "the easy allies podcast" and "cup of JONES" or "HUBER syndrome" but I get what your saying. To me it's just the EZApodcast, but to kyle it might be HIS podcast. Still think it's weird but that's just me. It's not like they call off the rachel maddow show when shes sick or on vacation, but that's obviously a much different setup with contracts and millions of dollars in advertising involved.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Theres a difference between "the easy allies podcast" and "cup of JONES" or "HUBER syndrome" but I get what your saying. To me it's just the EZApodcast, but to kyle it might be HIS podcast. Still think it's weird but that's just me. It's not like they call off the rachel maddow show when shes sick or on vacation, but that's obviously a much different setup with contracts and millions of dollars in advertising involved.

It's Kyle's podcast, just like Gamescoop is Daemon's, Kinda Funny is Greg's, Kotaku is Jason's, Polygon is Simone's.
They make the final decisions and I am OK with whatever that decision is.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I think that it's Kyle's podcast to most of the Allies, not only to Kyle. It seems to me that Jones thinks that way at least if you hear him talk about it in CoJ.
But I understand what you are saying. It's just that it isn't only Kyle's decision if none of the other Allies wants to do it.

Oct 26, 2017

Agreed.

Of course I want the EZA podcast to keep feeling like a Kyle podcast, but it would so fun if they got Ben or Jones to host for a week. Maybe Kyle can still plan the podcast (what the bet will be, the bits and love and respect questions).

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kyle could reduce his eza time down to 50%, make his own patreon for the kyle bosman podcast and double his money.

I'm in for $10

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
This is really the heart of my issue. It's weird to me that easy allies often feels like a loose association of people who just happen to produce a lot of content together instead of a team of people working towards common goals. Retros and gameslueths have both died by the opposite ends of the "show must have a host" rule that EZA has. Retros fell to the wayside because there isnt anyone pushing for it and gameslueth because there is only one person pushing it forward.

You can say the same thing about boxpeek. Yes it is Kyle's passion project but he also abandoned it for months because he felt overwhelmed by it. Dont skips are similar, a great idea from ben that only he executed on (as far as I recall) despite Jones saying that he really wanted to do one multiple times.

Completely agree with all of this. I thought when they got the studio this stuff would change and they'd come together more, help each other out with things and produce content together. But nope, it's still down to the individual and if they aren't into it anymore or they're busy, that show or idea is dead.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
If no one wants to chip in and host the Easy Allies Podcast for a week, that is a red flag.
I am not saying this is the case. My guess is that it was Kyle's decision and not any of the Allies.
I'm just saying that it is a possibility.

I also don't agree that this would be a red flag (Kyle starting his own Patreon/podcast like Farfetch'd is saying would be a red flag imo as it would basically be killing part of EZA).

It's clear Ben and Damiani are able to host the EZA podcast (giving they already host podcasts) and I'm sure most of the Allies are able to. But finding all that news isn't a short task and my guess is that Kyle spends quite some time each week to do so. They might be doing reviews, it's not like they have nothing to do. I don't think it's as easy as people make it out to be to host that specific podcast (seeing that it's newsbased). There's also all those quirky Kyle things that are probably not easy to remember.

I understand why people are bummed about him doing a solo thing instead, but it's only for one week and while I wouldn't mind one of the other Allies doing the podcast instead of Kyle, I am also looking forward to Kyle's short solo thing. I'm sure it will be fun to watch.
Completely agree with all of this. I thought when they got the studio this stuff would change and they'd come together more, help each other out with things and produce content together. But nope, it's still down to the individual and if they aren't into it anymore or they're busy, that show or idea is dead.
That's just your expectations (granted, not only yours as a lot of people seemed to think like that). I personally never thought those things would change all that drastically. It seemed clear to me that it would just be a couple of rooms which would make the production quality better (just like it does) and where there would be more possibilities to work together, but not specifically a place where they would work day in and out like a lot of people thought it would be.

People thought/hoped it would be like GT, but that's just not the way their company works any more (and probably not what they want it to be). I don't think that is easy to do without a "real" boss above them that treats them like slaves sometimes (and I honestly don't want that to happen).

I do think traffic is keeping them from being there more, but who knows what they will announce today.
It might change for phase 4. I'm still not hyping myself up too much. My expectations are still that I will like some things and won't like others and that I don't think there won't be too many drastic changes. And that's fine with me.

I will try to watch it at 3 am though (I wasn't planning on it before today). Hopefully it doesn't take more than 30 minutes to explain as I really need to go to sleep after that as I need to go to work tomorrow.

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Kyle could reduce his eza time down to 50%, make his own patreon for the kyle bosman podcast and double his money.

I'm in for $10

If Kyle starts his own patreon it would really hurt EZA. I don't think EZA can survive without Kyle. At least not as a 50.000 dollars patreon.

It would basically be KFG without Greg.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Kyle starts his own patreon it would really hurt EZA. I don't think EZA can survive without Kyle. At least not as a 50.000 dollars patreon.

It would basically be KFG without Greg.
even more reasons for kyle to go solo. i think it's gonna happen sooner or later, i'd start the clock when boxpeek is done.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
even more reasons for kyle to go solo. i think it's gonna happen sooner or later, i'd start the clock when boxpeek is done.

What's he going to do? Because it's not a Final Bosman type show. He refuses to do it without guaranteed better production than Viacom, so not happening. He didn't even like doing Bosman at Home.

Amazing this is still brought up 3 years later without even a hint from Kyle. Abso-fucking-loutley amazing.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's he going to do? Because it's not a Final Bosman type show. He refuses to do it without guaranteed better production than Viacom, so not happening. He didn't even like doing Bosman at Home.

he said he won't do final bosman at easy allies because he would put in 100% and only get 1/9 back which doesn't seem like a fair value proposition to him. wouldn't be the same if he's doing it solo. he also said he's not going to do stuff on his own channel until box peek is done.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
he said he won't do final bosman at easy allies because he would put in 100% and only get 1/9 back which doesn't seem like a fair value proposition to him. wouldn't be the same if he's doing it solo.
He has also brought up multiple times that he doesn't like Final Bosman, and he's said how much better of a job that Gilbert guy at Polygon does. I loved the show, but I think there are multiple reasons why he doesn't want to do Final Bosman, the money being just one of them.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He has also brought up multiple times that he doesn't like Final Bosman, and he's said how much better of a job that Gilbert guy at Polygon does. I loved the show, but I think there are multiple reasons why he doesn't want to do Final Bosman, the money being just one of them.
i didn't bring up FB, i said he could do the podcast on his own.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Why would he want to do that? I know he plays a persona that he is an asshole sometimes and I'm sure he has a thing to poke fun at things, but I honestly don't think he would screw over his friends like that. I know I used asshole with the whole betting special, but I honestly believe Kyle is a great person to work with (otherwise Keighley wouldn't be doing it for years).

Kyle is a creative guy with great ideas and it would hurt EZA a lot if he would leave. It would basically be screwing over the 8 other Allies. Nobody is unmissable, but it would probably create a massive dent in their income.

Also, why would you be spreading this stuff around just before they announce phase 4?

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
he said he won't do final bosman at easy allies because he would put in 100% and only get 1/9 back which doesn't seem like a fair value proposition to him. wouldn't be the same if he's doing it solo. he also said he's not going to do stuff on his own channel until box peek is done.

Mmm first time hearing it, when did Kyle said this?

As far as I remember the reason has always been the one Hasney mentioned.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I know. I was only responding to the post I quoted.

I will say, from things I've watched and read, Kyle would be the most likely person to leave EZA first, simply because he puts more value on himself as an individual than as part of EZA. I think he loves EZA, but his interview with Huber awhile back really spoke to their differences, with Huber seeing himself only as part of a team, and his only desire being for EZA together to get better.

Also, I don't know if it was in jest or if there was more to it than the face value statement, but I remember when Kyle said that if Damiani left EZA, he would leave too. I don't think any of the other Allies would quit if one of the others did. So I think it just signifies the [rightfully] high value he has of himself.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would he want to do that? I know he plays a persona that he is an asshole sometimes and I'm sure he has a thing to poke fun at things, but I honestly don't think he would screw over his friends like that. I know I used asshole with the whole betting special, but I honestly believe Kyle is a great person to work with (otherwise Keighley wouldn't be doing it for years).

Also, why would you be spreading this stuff around just before they announce phase 4?

what are you talking about? going solo doesn't mean he doesn't like the other people or is an asshole. it would be the next logical step in his career and i'm just speculating, i obviously have no idea what he wants to do.

he already does most of his things alone without much help (or any).

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I mean, that's going to be the case for all Allies and they knew that before starting EZA.
Hell, they thought they would get $2000 or so.
what are you talking about? going solo doesn't mean he doesn't like the other people or is an asshole. it would be the next logical step in his career and i'm just speculating, i obviously have no idea what he wants to do.

he already does most of his things alone without much help (or any).
It would probably kill part of the Patreon which means EZA would have trouble surviving.
I'm not saying it means he doesn't like the other people, but it would mean there is a chance it would kill EZA.

I'm also not saying he can't make it work. I'm sure he can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.