• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
As someone very disappointed by the news today it wasn't so much the news itself but what it symbolised, the very large focus placed on streaming seems to show me that the company wants to explore and expand to that direction as opposed to YouTube content that got me to watch them in the first place.

I wouldn't say that's completely true. There are other shows being developed that will likely see release in 2020. I think this is a matter of what they can do now, immediately, to invigorate a large portion of their fanbase, but YouTube shows are definitely on the horizon. I don't think they wanted to wait for those to be fully realized before refreshing their offerings.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone very disappointed by the news today it wasn't so much the news itself but what it symbolised, the very large focus placed on streaming seems to show me that the company wants to explore and expand to that direction as opposed to YouTube content that got me to watch them in the first place.
I'd kinda disagree with this, because I think their YouTube content is still their priority. Why do I think this? Because I think we're all forgetting the content they didn't discuss that isn't changing, added to all of the new shows they announced. It's A LOT of YouTube videos. We only really lost Game Sleuth as a produced, non-podcast show. Huber Syndrome is just on hiatus, being replaced for the time being with another show. They're putting A LOT on their plate, and a chunk of that is going to streaming because their community requested it. But I'd say most of their time is being put into making YouTube content. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got. To me, as Blood said, it's a re-focus on streaming not a whole new emphasis/expansion.

I think the way the announcement was handled may have made it seem like streaming was their biggest new thing. But I also think since they were announcing it on Twitch, that made sense for their audience.

Oct 26, 2017
Marketing is everything, huh. I kinda understand big companies spending a shitton on marketing.

They fumbled the presentation by saying some keywords: "more streams" specifically.

The YouTube at the VERY LEAST stays the same. I really believe the added shows will get it to be WAY BETTER. There's a huge commitment to shortform edited content. They are commited for more skits. All the streaming changes they're doing is doing stuff together more, less stuff solo.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
A question regarding my watching habits and the release time of the weekly podcast.

I usually watch the podcast on a Friday night. I watch it in my lounge and i use the Youtube app on my Apple TV to watch.

If i want to continue to watch on a Friday night (and i do, it's sort of a ritual for me) how do i do this if the video isn't public on youtube?

I get that it will go live for patrons on a Friday so i guess i'm asking.... in what way? is it just a link to a private youtube video? Is it still possible to watch that on my Apple TV?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I am happy to become a patron and i would like to continue to watch them in my lounge each Friday evening.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Marketing is everything, huh. I kinda understand big companies spending a shitton on marketing.

They fumbled the presentation by saying some keywords: "more streams" specifically.

The YouTube at the VERY LEAST stays the same. I really believe the added shows will get it to be WAY BETTER. There's a huge commitment to shortform edited content. They are commited for more skits. All the streaming changes they're doing is doing stuff together more, less stuff solo.
I blame this on fans who insist on having their bottoms powdered with every turn of phrase. Anyone who is upset that the phrase "more streams" doesn't pamper them enough frankly needs to get a life.

I see this all the time in gaming, where it sometimes seems like gamers care more about being marketed to than they do about playing good video games.

A question regarding my watching habits and the release time of the weekly podcast.

I usually watch the podcast on a Friday night. I watch it in my lounge and i use the Youtube app on my Apple TV to watch.

If i want to continue to watch on a Friday night (and i do, it's sort of a ritual for me) how do i do this if the video isn't public on youtube?

I get that it will go live for patrons on a Friday so i guess i'm asking.... in what way? is it just a link to a private youtube video? Is it still possible to watch that on my Apple TV?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I am happy to become a patron and i would like to continue to watch them in my lounge each Friday evening.
It's a link to a private YouTube video.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017

Not a stupid question, it will be a private link on Patreon to a YouTube video. You can add it to a playlist, AirPlay, etc. So it is possible, just a little extra step

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Not a stupid question, it will be a private link on Patreon to a YouTube video. You can add it to a playlist, AirPlay, etc. So it is possible, just a little extra step

Oh right, well that's fine :) Is there any word on what time it will be live on Friday? (i'm in the UK). It usually popped up around 8pm for me.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018

Start watching it on patreon through a browser, which puts it in your YouTube history, and then you should be able to continue it on the YouTube app by looking at your history.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I don't think there will be a lot less Youtube content though. They might miss some weekly Youtube content compared to before, but they have some new Youtube shows in the works as well that they talked about yesterday (and I am looking forward to those). The streams will probably be posted on Youtube as well (even though I understand you are probably not interested in that).

I don't watch that many streams either, but a majority of patrons asked for this to happen + it seems that their Twitch channel is growing over the last couple of months (and they probably make more money from Twitch on the side compared to Youtube). I am happy with the announcements because I am sure I will have more than enough content to watch, but I get you are disappointed. Hopefully the new shows (and old new shows like Don's Design Lab) can get you back around.
Again I'm honestly more concerned about the spirit of the announcement as opposed to the content of it (it that makes sense). It's clear that the allies view the part that they need to work on the most to improve the group streams. And thus it creates a certain image of where they want to go and what they want to focus on more. As someone who answered "streams" in the survey when asked what do you want to see less off I can't honestly be happy about that even if people here seem to be pretty positive on the announcements.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
While they may not be streaming more in terms of total hours, it's WAY more in man-hours. Almost all of the Allies are now tied up in multiple weekly streams. They've definitely made the decision to focus on this rather than new produced content, so I really don't get the argument that Phase 4 hasn't placed a huge emphasis on streaming.

As for the Podcast changing days...the amount of people who are already lowering their pledges because of it seems concerning. Big news always seeming to drop right after the podcast films was definitely annoying, but personally I think the better solution would be to have introduced an extra 'Breaking News' style show on a Friday. It wouldn't need to be long (~30min?), and could even be defined as a general pop culture news update so weeks with no gaming story could talk about other stuff.

Just came here to share how surprised I was to find out the majority of EZA supporters (who filled out the survey at least) requested MORE streams.
The community asking for more streams was a shock to me, too. It felt like everyone wanted less streams and more produced content based on what I've seen of this thread, but then again...most of the people wanting this are probably sitting in Twitch chats!

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Again I'm honestly more concerned about the spirit of the announcement as opposed to the content of it (it that makes sense). It's clear that the allies view the part that they need to work on the most to improve the group streams. And thus it creates a certain image of where they want to go and what they want to focus on more. As someone who answered "streams" in the survey when asked what do you want to see less off I can't honestly be happy about that even if people here seem to be pretty positive on the announcements.
It just feels a bit fast to judge that way because look at it on paper. The future of their youtube is going to be more don't skips, huber's prison of love, fiasconauts, mysterious monsters, Dons Design Lab, occasional boardgame videos, more frequent but shorter trailer jones, together we rpg, spoilermodes, reviews and new episodes of achieve it yourself in exchange for TTE, Game Sleuth(which was already insanely infrequent) and Top 10s.

I think if you are here for Youtube content especially for edited shorter content you're getting served better than before if all that stuff releases regularly enough(the judgment is out on that). The one group that I feel really got the short end were fans of TTE/narrative content.

In addition to the youtube content they're also making fans happy that wanted more multi person streams. So it's all a bit weird to be this unhappy when you actually look at the potential content on paper. It sounds like the only way for you to be happy is actually for the people that wanted more multi streams to not get them because actually potentially(as it is currently announced) more produced content isn't making you happy? :(

And hey maybe you're right and your concerns are going to be true in the end and actually all these promised things will release so unregularly while only the audience that wanted streams get served but that seems mighty pessimistic. I'd understand the perspective a bit more if the youtube output was cut down considerably for streaming content from the announcements but the opposite is the case. Hard to produce shows were cut and are getting replaced with new productions that we don't know yet how they're shaking out while solo streams are getting replaced by multi streams.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of more streams with more Allies. I think it brings a good balance between produced content and streams that wasn't there before.

Sometimes, I just want to watch a bunch of Allies get together and play games. And prior to phase 4, that was relegated to Tuesday night group streams and heavily dependent on the game chosen.

The $15 reward sucks, but I'm heavily considering moving up to it.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I like streams, wanted more of them and am thrilled at the result. Losing TTE is a bitter pill to swallow though and every 3 months for the board game show is... pretty mad and difficult to get excited about.

The rest of the new shows sound so good, though an idea of scheduling for them would have been good I think. Don't Skip seemed kinda vague beyond the new one probably next week. How often can we realistically expect it to appear? Once a month? Every 3 months? 2 a month? I'm none the wiser but still glad it's a focus point.

Also I never considered it but yeah I really hope the podcast still goes live at a reasonable time on Fridays for UK/EU Patrons...

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Out of curiosity I went to the easy allies plays channel and scrolled down to the videos from "six months ago" and added up all of the play times for those videos. For simplicity sake I just rounded to whole numbers. The grand total for that timeframe was 93 HOURS. That includes every group stream that happened, damianis FF14 streams, a full playthrough of RE2 REMAKE and all of kyles Friday night streams as well.

It will be interesting to total up the amount of time all of these new streams take up.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
It just feels a bit fast to judge that way because look at it on paper. The future of their youtube is going to be more don't skips, huber's prison of love, fiasconauts, mysterious monsters, Dons Design Lab, occasional boardgame videos, more frequent but shorter trailer jones, together we rpg, spoilermodes, reviews and new episodes of achieve it yourself in exchange for TTE, Game Sleuth(which was already insanely infrequent) and Top 10s.

I think if you are here for Youtube content especially for edited shorter content you're getting served better than before if all that stuff releases regularly enough(the judgment is out on that). The one group that I feel really got the short end were fans of TTE/narrative content.

In addition to the youtube content they're also making fans happy that wanted more multi person streams. So it's all a bit weird to be this unhappy when you actually look at the potential content on paper. It sounds like the only way for you to be happy is actually for the people that wanted more multi streams to not get them because actually potentially(as it is currently announced) more produced content isn't making you happy? :(

And hey maybe you're right and your concerns are going to be true in the end and actually all these promised things will release so unregularly while only the audience that wanted streams get served but that seems mighty pessimistic. I'd understand the perspective a bit more if the youtube output was cut down considerably for streaming content from the announcements but the opposite is the case. Hard to produce shows were cut and are getting replaced with new productions that we don't know yet how they're shaking out while solo streams are getting replaced by multi streams.
Basically my feelings in a nutshell. Outside of the group stream, EZA streams have been pretty lackluster, while content produced for YouTube has been plentiful. I look forward to better streams. As far as YouTube content is concerned, while there have been a couple of shows cut, I think it's generally made up for (if not exceeded by) the new announcements and renewed commitments.

I just mean the amount of people I've seen mention it on Twitter and in this thread.

I haven't been eyeballing the Patreon total or anything.

When I checked around the start of the stream last night, they were at $48,020. I saw them gain about $100 when checking midway through the stream, and I'm seeing them currently at $48,266. Turns out people who are upset tend to be more vocal than people who are happy.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair I forgot that Huber Syndrom was also paused(in exchange for HPoL so a 1 for 1) I just forgot so add that to the list of what we lost but the gains on paper still look favorable to before.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair I forgot that Huber Syndrom was also paused(in exchange for HPoL so a 1 for 1) I just forgot so add that to the list of what we lost but the gains on paper still look favorable to before.
Honestly Huber seemed kind of underutilized on that show. There wasn't really much to it. I'm glad we get a refocused show from him.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Happy for all the EU fans who will get the most out of these daytime streams, but not sure as an east-coaster here in the US how I will ever watch them. But that's ok! Always nice to appeal to a global audience!

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited for Occasional Boardgames, though I really hope it becomes more frequent than once every 3 months. I love Overboard from Polygon and there are some episodes that are mostly single camera setups so I'm hoping as Ian said they find some games that don't require as much setup and editing to do in between the more elaborate set ups. Especially if they still want to do some one off pen and paper RPGs here and there that would not change the shooting at all.

Another idea is to batch shoot 2-3 games that need more elaborate set ups of cameras and release those. But I'm just excited to see them play some tabletop games, and if all we get is 4 a year then I'll still be happy.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Thank you for the EU friendly streams Bloodworth and other allies. Usually streams are practically impossible for me to watch as they start somewhere between 2AM and 6AM my time. The earlier streams every now and then are greatly appreciated.

Nov 5, 2017
I am looking forward to The Occasional Board Game Show. Not enough attention is given to board games in the gaming community. Jeff Cannata tries to shed light through his podcast, DLC, occasionally and this is about it. I am glad that EZA will also similarly highlight board games from time to time. Hyped!

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
That filling cabinet of ideas was phenomenal.

Really happy about the changes. Had zero interest in any of the solo streams but will tune in for duos or groups. The Allies work best together.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I am looking forward to The Occasional Board Game Show. Not enough attention is given to board games in the gaming community. Jeff Cannata tries to shed light through his podcast, DLC, occasionally and this is about it. I am glad that EZA will also similarly highlight board games from time to time. Hyped!

I know I just talked about this podcast earlier in the thread but board games get brought up fairly regularly on kotaku splitscreen if your looking for something new to check out.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
The synths stream seems like a perfect stream to have on while gaming. I am definitely checking that one out if I have the chance to see what it is about (not live though as it probably won't work out timezone wise)
Oh right, well that's fine :) Is there any word on what time it will be live on Friday? (i'm in the UK). It usually popped up around 8pm for me.
This weeks podcast has dropped half an hour ago (around 8:20 pm my time, so 7:20 pm GMT) and the last couple of months they were earlier than they used to be (so around 9 pm my time, so 8 pm your time as I live in Belgium). But it used to be 10 pm to midnight or sometimes a bit later in the early days (but it has been a while since it was this late).

Let's hope they can keep the 8 - 9 pm GMT for this. I believe they scheduled it that it was an exact 2 days later compared to the Patreon release, so you probably saw them pop up at the same time, but just a couple of days later (but maybe I dreamt that, I believe I read that a couple of years ago).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So from what I could tell we are getting more edited Youtube shows and studio group streams. The things that were canceled are TTE, Top 10s, most solo home streams and Game Sleuth(which was hibernating already). I think they managed to listen and respond very well to the feedback fans provided. When you put the amount of content they are producing right now on paper is really impressive, especially with only 2 full time editors:
  1. Eza podcast
  2. Friend code
  3. Frame trap
  4. Trailer jones
  5. Hall of greats
  6. Box peak
  7. Reaction shots
  8. Busted trifecta
  9. Fiasconauts
  10. Easy update
  11. Betting specials
  12. Weekly hunts
  13. Dont skip
  14. Huber's Prinson of love
  15. Restropective
  16. Spoiler Mode
  17. Cup of Jones
  18. Gundam Build
  19. Reviews
  20. Previews/Impressions
  21. Interviews/Developer Showcase
  22. The Occasional Board Game Show
  23. Don's Design Lab
  24. Achieve It Yourself!
  25. Together We RPG
  26. Daily streams
  27. Reactions
  28. Community Showcase
  29. Mysterious Monsters
  30. seasonal patreon shows/ Monthly Q&A

nicolajNN

Nov 11, 2017
Will most of the new group-ish streams be EU time friendly, I thought it was just the Huber/Damiani one when Damiani mentioned it? I hope most of the groups will at least have occasional ones at EU friendly times. I've never really watched any streams since they're at night for me, and it doesn't make sense to watch VODs for the most part.

One stream I did use to watch the VOD of, was Gundam, so very excited about that. I found it an awesome, jolly thing to chill with during the weekend

May 30, 2018
i know this may be obvious since they mentioned that if something wasn't mentioned it won't be changed, but we're still getting solo Kyle friday night streams, right? other than this friday due to Gamescom.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Will most of the new group-ish streams be EU time friendly, I thought it was just the Huber/Damiani one when Damiani mentioned it? I hope most of the groups will at least have occasional ones at EU friendly times. I've never really watched any streams since they're at night for me, and it doesn't make sense to watch VODs for the most part.

One stream I did use to watch the VOD of, was Gundam, so very excited about that. I found it an awesome, jolly thing to chill with during the weekend

Well the Tuesday Stream Team will presumably happen before the regular group stream, so hopefully late evening EU time at least.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super mixed about the announcements. My approach now is to wait and see how engaging the new shows end up being.

What's important though, is that they haven't really done anything to up their Patreon game. Almost no new tiers, goals abolished. I fail to see how they expect to see growth without new incentives and even deleting the old ones. I doubt Phase 4 will get them lots of new patrons, in fact I fear that after a brief phase of enthusiasm, the downward trend will continue.

You can quote me on this in a few months. I hope to be wrong.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Finally watched the video, the opening bit was hilarious.

I hope they also release the full video for Huber's Prison of Love, maybe on the off week

Jan 4, 2018
Probably most excited for Prison of Love. Not saying it should be this (because they should obviously make it the way they want), but stylistically the image I have in my head is something in the ballpark of Retro Replay. Two people, multicam, highly edited, occasional weird tangents that don't need to be focused on the game they're playing (basically just letting Huber's hype run free).

But again, however it turns out, I'm very excited for it.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Really happy. More multi person streams was the top of my list, directly referencing the Ghost Survivors stream as an example. I usually watch all the streams in VoD form being a Brit, so hearing that some of them will be live during the evening for me is amazing. I can't really afford the 15 dollar right now, but I'll abe tempted when I get more stable.

I know this is small beans, but I love Corrections on the podcast. Please don't move it to the end, it's pointless there. If it must be moved, put it during podcast halftime after the ads. It still kinda makes sense there.

I think the Board Game show is too infrequent. I don't want them to be shot in batches because I like stuff to be relatively recent, especially with it being a board game show where we're likely to get some chatter. But it's hard to get excited by something that's every three months. Maybe they could just do a physical game ever couple of months and in between play something smaller on Tabletop Simulator every other week?

Huber's Prison of Love uncut version is screaming to be an Exclusive Reward Tier.

Still really excites that the podcast is moving to Friday early access too!

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Really enjoyable stream by Damiani and Huber so far. And now Ian has popped in briefly as he is prepping the upcoming filming of what may be Mysterious Monsters. This is what I always imagined the studio would bring.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
*gag*

Please, there are so many modern board games we really don't need them to waste a quarterly show playing old, busted crap.

That's like asking the allies under the old group stream schedule to once a month play nothing but classic atari 2600 games. Let old busted stuff stay in the past.

I would not want to see them play Monopoly with one of their four (!!!) board game streams. That being said, I now desperately want to see them do an Atari 2600 group stream. It would, of course, be all about getting the best score. There are a lot of classics that move pretty quickly, so it would be ideal for passing the controller around. That would be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to think the board game stream could have more than 4 videos per year if they included some simpler games.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I can not wait for The Resistance/Avalon, Battlestar Galactica and any hidden traitor games having Kyle be suspected as the traitor the whole game, only to have the traitor be Blood.

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
I fear that after a brief phase of enthusiasm, the downward trend will continue.

I feel like people are really misunderstanding their Patreon situation. There is no downward trend, in fact, even before the Phase 4 announcements, EZA had the highest amount of Patreons and constantly broke their own record. The reason for earning less money was mainly the loss of Sponsors, which can be recovered as soon as they get new Sponsors. It has nothing to do with actual fans leaving them.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people are really misunderstanding their Patreon situation. There is no downward trend, in fact, even before the Phase 4 announcements, EZA had the highest amount of Patreons and constantly broke their own record. The reason for earning less money was mainly the loss of Sponsors, which can be recovered as soon as they get new Sponsors. It has nothing to do with actual fans leaving them.

They have less Patrons than they did at the same time last month, even after the Phase 4 announcements which gained 20 new Patrons so far, and July was down from the June before it.

It's less people as well as less money right at this second. Any gains will come after the content debuts it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.