• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
Definitely liking the streaming times as well (from an European standpoint). Makes it possible to watch them live. Really appreciate it.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think paid ads are a good idea as it would probably push their Patreon down (although I guess nothing is connected to that any more). Some of their sponsors will use those ads instead (I can see Viewsonic move that way for example).

It's also questionable (imo) for people who use Patreon as a funding platform. A lot of people wouldn't care, but some would.
I don't mind the podcast ads, but adding ads in front of each video is probably a bridge too far (although I would get used to it).

You would also need a full time person managing all that stuff. I have seen Linus from Linus Tech Tips talk about marketing on their channel (which is way bigger, but still) and they have multiple people working on that full time. Especially with those bigger advertisement firms. You would probably also need an MCN and I really hope they stay away from those as far as possible. They are mobsters.

The rest isn't a bad idea (a visual schedule would probably make sense for example), but none of them has a marketing background, so it's probably not as easy to do those things. It also changes each week, which makes it more labor intensive.

Having a video announcement for each show will probably drive me insane and probably won't do too well as far as comments go, but who knows.
I do like their announcements for Spoiler Mode or Easy Livin, but I don't think it's a good idea to have half of your videos be announcements.

I personally don't feel like they need it, but I get where you are coming from.
i have zero issue with them doing ads if it means they can do well financially in freaking LA

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think paid ads are a good idea as it would probably push their Patreon down (although I guess nothing is connected to that any more). Some of their sponsors will use those ads instead (I can see Viewsonic move that way for example).

Oh i meant it the other way. Easy Allies paying to advertise their shows. This on social media/google ads etc. I really think 'Mysterious Monsters' could do really well with some extra marketing efforts.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
i have zero issue with them doing ads if it means they can do well financially in freaking LA
I wouldn't have a problem with them doing it because it's EZA, but it will probably delude the patreon sponsor slots (and there is a chance bigger ad companies don't want extra sponsors for videos). I do think it might be a grey area for some people though, but who knows.

Oh i meant it the other way. Easy Allies paying to advertise their shows. This on social media/google ads etc. I really think 'Mysterious Monsters' could do really well with some extra marketing efforts.
Oh, I see. I suspect they won't have money to do that (9 people need to live from that money), but I can see that working for sure.

I do think Mysterious Monsters can be enjoyed without knowing the Allies (and probably even without being interested in videogames) and can be a good way to get to know the channel, the same for Box Peek. I think guests like Elyse, Ash and Erica last episode will probably help some people get to know the show as well and it's less expensive.

It will be hard to recoup the money spent on the advertisements (a lot of people block those anyway), but it might be worth it.

Last edited:

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I do think Mysterious Monsters can be enjoyed without knowing the Allies (and probably even without being interested in videogames) and can be a good way to get to know the channel, the same for Box Peek. I think guests like Elyse, Ash and Erica last episode will probably help some people get to know the show as well and it's less expensive.

It's stunning how much of a gap in the market there is for a solid YouTube gameshow, and Mysterious Monsters is the most capable show of it's kind on the platform. Tom Scott's shows like Game Garage and Lateral are great, but short-run, and every other gameshow I've seen made on YouTube had been really amateurish.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The solo podcast was such a jolly time, I absolutely loved it. It felt a bit like one of the old final bosman episodes

how I miss that show

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Brandon said on Cup of Jones that he and Kyle will be streaming Pokemon Silver in their Thursday streams, and no one has posted about it yet?! Where's the hype?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a guild or something planned for WoW classic? I don't think Resetera itself is too organized on server choice but I'm wondering if this community, or the Allies themselves have talked about their plans. I can't get any of my friends to hop in and I need some people to PvP with.

May 30, 2018
Brandon said on Cup of Jones that he and Kyle will be streaming Pokemon Silver in their Thursday streams, and no one has posted about it yet?! Where's the hype?

holy smokes, this is what dreams are made of right here. i don't tune in to many cups of jones so i had no idea!

EDIT: GBC Silver as opposed to DS Soul Silver i assume? either would be cool but the GBC nostalgia factor wins for me.

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019

This better not be a joke. This was literally what I was always hoping for after "Brandon Plays Pokemon". Gold/Silver/Crystal are still my favorite Editions, which is why it was such a bummer that they didn't continue with it. I would love to see them play Silver now.

DocRemedy

Oct 31, 2017
This better not be a joke. This was literally what I was always hoping for after "Brandon Plays Pokemon". Gold/Silver/Crystal are still my favorite Editions, which is why it was such a bummer that they didn't continue with it. I would love to see them play Silver now.
As of right now, it won't be a BPP. Brandon just plans on streaming the two of them playing the game.

Oct 25, 2017
As of right now, it won't be a BPP. Brandon just plans on streaming the two of them playing the game.
Feels like the novelty of BPP couldn't ever be replicated since you can only play your first Pokemon game once, so this is fine. And Brandon Sun, Kyle Moon was never quite as fun for me. This seems like the perfect next step. I normally don't love Pokemon playthroughs, but I think the Kyle/Jones combo might be exactly what I need.

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019

Oh yeah, that's how I understood it, but that okay too. I'm not sure which one I prefer anyway. I think both formats have their advantages.

Would have also prefer Crystal, but Silver is absolutely fine.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I am one of those weirdos who couldn't care less about Pokemon but this is a phenomenal idea and could be a pretty huge deal. People have been screaming for basically this for literally years and the Kyle/Brandon dynamic is one of the pure secret sauces of EZA.

(Now make the follow-up series Brandon plays Mass Effect...)

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
Feels like the novelty of BPP couldn't ever be replicated since you can only play your first Pokemon game once, so this is fine. And Brandon Sun, Kyle Moon was never quite as fun for me.

I agree. While "Brandon Plays Pokemon" is one of my all time favorite content from the Allies, I also didn't enjoy the Sun and Moon videos quite as much, I'm not even sure if i watched all of them. I think a Brandon Plays Silver/Gold/Crystal would have had a similar entertainment and fun level as the to the Red/Blue playthrough though, just because of the similarities with the first game, the new content and additions and the fact that you can return to Kanto. I think those would have been some interesting conversations, rather than having this extreme jump to the latest game. But these are obviously just speculations from me.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Definitely not a joke, I am also very excited :)

Jones said he and Kyle had decided to stream together but not picked a game. Then late at night while he was feeding Milo it randomly came to him all of a sudden, that they should play Pokemon Silver. The next day when he opened Slack to talk to Kyle about it, he already had a message from Kyle suggesting the same thing. They both separately thought of it at basically the same time lol.

But yeah he did make it clear it will be a stream, not the Brandon Plays Pokemon format. That's still good enough for me.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Hm, I agree that it's not that big of a deal but it's strange that he's not playing Crystal. Do they not have a copy?
I don't think access is an issue, it's available on 3DS and I'm pretty sure Kyle at least already has it. Jones doesn't know much about the version differences, he just said whenever people talk about the game he mostly hears them say "Silver." Not sure if Kyle weird Kyle-reason to prefer Silver to Crystal.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Ya genuinely wondering why its Silver and not Crystal? Did Kyle not recently say he was replaying Crystal?

Edit: Completely forgot Trials of Mana stream starts in a half hour. Hype for this one

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I don't think access is an issue, it's available on 3DS and I'm pretty sure Kyle at least already has it. Jones doesn't know much about the version differences, he just said whenever people talk about the game he mostly hears them say "Silver." Not sure if Kyle weird Kyle-reason to prefer Silver to Crystal.

Weird. I'd say the animated Pokemon sprites alone make it worth it to pick Crystal if you have the option. It's just a nicer game to look at.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
This is what Brandon should have played after Red, not Sun/Moon. Thank god it's finally happening, though I wonder if the excitement of seeing the changes GSC makes to the series is lost by already playing the newest games.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
If they can, they should play HeartGold or SoulSilver. Brandon hasn't touched anything from the DS era, and I think most people playing the games for a long time agree that the games peaked in the DS era.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If they can, they should play HeartGold or SoulSilver. Brandon hasn't touched anything from the DS era, and I think most people playing the games for a long time agree that the games peaked in the DS era.

If someone was only going to play one pokemon game I would easily say they should play heart gold/soul silver. The game has a ton of features that other modern games dont. It plays on nostalgia without going all in on it. The battle system is advanced enough to make it interesting. The variety of pokemon featured is fantastic as well.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
They should play Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky which is better than the mainline games >.>

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018
I'm so mad I missed that first Trials of Mana stream!!
I've been waiting forever for the Allies to play either Secret or Trials of Mana...

I'm just not used to the new schedule yet and I never know when people are streaming...
At least, I can watch the VOD and I'll make sure to be there next week.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow they played Trials of Mana.
Probably gonna give it a watch, since I've beaten it at least 4 times I think.

So dumb that square didn't enable 3 player.
Especially since 3 player was already made for the game. That's why you see gameplay and Vids of it. It was already there, so not like it'd take a lot of work.

almost surprised they didn't just keep the title Seiken Densetsu for this release lol. Think I saw a video comparing the dialogue of game and fan translation and wondering if they took cues from it heh

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Oh wow they played Trials of Mana.
Probably gonna give it a watch, since I've beaten it at least 4 times I think.

So dumb that square didn't enable 3 player.
Especially since 3 player was already made for the game. That's why you see gameplay and Vids of it. It was already there, so not like it'd take a lot of work.

almost surprised they didn't just keep the title Seiken Densetsu for this release lol. Think I saw a video comparing the dialogue of game and fan translation and wondering if they took cues from it heh

It wasn't in the original release either, it's something fans had to mod into the game.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't in the original release either, it's something fans had to mod into the game.
they had to mod it completely to exist or just mod it to be enabled/work? I had thought it was the latter, but maybe not.

Trials has one of the worst menus (window menu, not the ring menu) of games I've ever played. I see it's still as laggy as ever lol.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
they had to mod it completely to exist or just mod it to be enabled/work? I had thought it was the latter, but maybe not.

Trials has one of the worst menus (window menu, not the ring menu) of games I've ever played. I see it's still as laggy as ever lol.

I think it's mod to enable but I'm not sure if the patch has any kind of additional fixes like what Secret of Evermore's 2 player patch does.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I just listened to the Friend Code : Game Boy 30th Anniversary episode and they talked about the pokemon s&w meta game and other meta games like the Brotherhood in AC and the base building in MGS. I really enjoy these kind of things and it got me thinking about other games with great meta games but I am drawing a blank.

Any allies here with good suggestions? Meta games that actually influence the main game, help you in any kind, be it getting special items, leveling up your crew, earning money, etc.

I spent hours in the AC sending out assassins or sending ships out in AC3. Knocking out enemy soldiers in MGS and sending them out to missions in MGS Peace Walker was a blast.

Haven't really had this experience in a while, maybe xenoblade chronicles 2 but I lost interest in the main game after about 30hours or so and the meta game did not help keeping me hooked.

What games you could see benefiting from a meta game, be it a released game or an unreleased one?

I could totally see Control including a meta game where you manage the "oldest House" in SCP style. Sending out agents to acquire new anomalies, setting up containment rooms for old ones etc.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I just listened to the Friend Code : Game Boy 30th Anniversary episode and they talked about the pokemon s&w meta game and other meta games like the Brotherhood in AC and the base building in MGS. I really enjoy these kind of things and it got me thinking about other games with great meta games but I am drawing a blank.

Any allies here with good suggestions? Meta games that actually influence the main game, help you in any kind, be it getting special items, leveling up your crew, earning money, etc.

I spent hours in the AC sending out assassins or sending ships out in AC3. Knocking out enemy soldiers in MGS and sending them out to missions in MGS Peace Walker was a blast.

Haven't really had this experience in a while, maybe xenoblade chronicles 2 but I lost interest in the main game after about 30hours or so and the meta game did not help keeping me hooked.

What games you could see benefiting from a meta game, be it a released game or an unreleased one?

I could totally see Control including a meta game where you manage the "oldest House" in SCP style. Sending out agents to acquire new anomalies, setting up containment rooms for old ones etc.

Suikoden has a bunch of different systems that sometimes interact with eachother. Gameplaywise is the game's biggest strength.
I'd love to see other games try to implement the base building, character recruiting, trading, fishing, etc, as an integrated net of systems

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Suikoden has a bunch of different systems that sometimes interact with eachother. Gameplaywise is the game's biggest strength.
I'd love to see other games try to implement the base building, character recruiting, trading, fishing, etc, as an integrated net of systems

Oh man, totally forgot suikoden. Played 2 on ps1 and loved it but was a bit too young to really get invested in the meta game. I'd love seeing more games implement stuff like this if it fits the narrative and gameplay.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
i dont think i got an answer on this but did tte end on a cliffhanger. i dropped it after season 2 but curious where it left fans

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
i dont think i got an answer on this but did tte end on a cliffhanger. i dropped it after season 2 but curious where it left fans

It left on some pretty heavy loose ends. I dunno if I'd call it a cliffhanger but it's certainly immensely disappointing as a fan that there's no real resolution to the story or what happened to the characters after 3 and a half years. :-(

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I loved the solo podcast and I loved the show you guys are referring to.
But I would prefer him doing shows he wants to do instead of shows he does against his will and will probably burn him out or even worse.

Creativity comes mostly from the heart. My guess is that it's best to let him do his thing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the solo podcast and I love the show you guys are referring to.
But I would prefer him doing shows he wants to do instead of shows he does against his will and will probably burn him out or even worse.
You know, i am the first to write 'kyle doesnt wanna do Final Bosman, let it go people' ... but this morning i was thinking:
Phase 4 brought a lot of freedom the allies. If i remember correctly, in the pitch for Box Peek, Kyle said that he didnt wanna do Final Bosman because he didnt wanna do a show forever that was tied to a goal, it scared him. => this is no longer a problem since there are no goals anymore. Another freedom that Phase 4 brought is that the Allies can do 'seasons' of stuff now. They decide to stoo a show if they really feel like they no longer wanna do it. I think this is another fear lifted for Bosman.

What i'm saying basically is that i think Bosman would be more open to a seasonal Final Bosman now, compared to pre-phase 4. Don't take my word for it though. I have no idea how his brain works but i think he likes to do these random talks like the spiderman costume stuff, top 10 pokemon, solo podcast woch are basically Final Bosman episodes. Maybe there's a small hope after Box Peek?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Best EZA podcast in a long time.
wait...really?

I feel like I watched something different than everyone here.
It was good for what it was, a podcast filmed during an extremely busy week.

but little preparation, lack/incorrect facts or fact checking, pretty rambly on subjects (relating to the lack of preparation and being busy of course).

I mean it was...fine. but Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.