• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the studio announcement video.

Unreal! These guys deserve it and much more. TY to all the patrons who made it possible.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
Set construction set to be complete by late jan? Converting that from builder talk, I expect the studio to be done by Halloween.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't think they need a giant screen though I do love the look of it at times, especially on KF Daily.

Interested to see if they have specific backdrops for the Podcast, Friend Code and Frame Trap. I would assume they'll be launching a new graphics package alongside them as well. I love that kind of stuff so I can't wait to see it.

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really hope they don't ever consider a green screen as a background for any podcast/show that isn't Huber Syndrome (or a show similar to it). Green screen has its place, but it is not a good, viable replacement for a video wall setup. Also, knowing Brandon, they won't want to mimic what KF is doing and instead find their own visual identity. And that's not even considering how much of a pain it probably is to run and maintain, not to mention costly upfront and over time (electric bills, repairs, etc). Probably not worth it at this point.

But I'll be happy to be wrong. If they want a big screen (that's not green) go ahead.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really hope they don't ever consider a green screen as a background for any podcast/show that isn't Huber Syndrome (or a show similar to it). Green screen has its place, but it is not a good, viable replacement for a video wall setup. Also, knowing Brandon, they won't want to mimic what KF is doing and instead find their own visual identity. And that's not even considering how much of a pain it probably is to run and maintain, not to mention costly upfront and over time (electric bills, repairs, etc). Probably not worth it at this point.

But I'll be happy to be wrong. If they want a big screen (that's not green) go ahead.
I mean with the way kinda funny has been using it for a lot of their shows you can def do that with framed greenscreen sections for like a massive fraction of the cost. It all depends on what you actually want to display. I'm an occasional watcher of KF so maybe there is an example of where the tv lcd wall paid dividends but I haven't seen that yet.

Like in my mind the biggest drawback to greenscreen is it doesn't react to the light of the set but again depending on what you use it for that isn't really an issue?

Frame Trap NEEDS a new logo

The studio is the perfect time to do this.
I think in general introducing a new look to most shows would be a great way to enhance the feeling of things changing with the studio but that might be too much for them to handle to work on making the space as they need it while managing a full redesign of accompanying graphics for their shows.

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lowkey kinda mad they bumped jackbox a week for RDR online and now do it without kyle, which should be illegal.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean with the way kinda funny has been using it for a lot of their shows you can def do that with framed greenscreen sections for like a massive fraction of the cost. It all depends on what you actually want to display. I'm an occasional watcher of KF so maybe there is an example of where the tv lcd wall paid dividends but I haven't seen that yet.

Like in my mind the biggest drawback to greenscreen is it doesn't react to the light of the set but again depending on what you use it for that isn't really an issue?
I think for the most part, green screen composites look not great. Again, they can be fine depending on the show, but for podcasts and the like, I think it'd be awful. The fact that there's visually zero separation from the subjects and the background is a big reason to not do it. It's also a lighting nightmare, requiring you to basically set up your lights so you have zero shadows or else the composite won't look good, which can make your subjects lose any depth. Combine that with multiple camera angles and the lack of any true depth of field in the close-ups because of the composite and again, it'll look cheap. From a practical standpoint, sure, it's functional. But aesthetically, it's terrible. It'd be like watching someone do the weather for three hours.

EDIT: Realizing that my point about the lighting setup was dumb. Normally you don't want shadows on your background, so that's a bad reason. My experiences shooting on green screen have usually been in far less ideal circumstances, and it can be a challenge to set up lights for it, so that's what I was drawing from. A permanent lighting grid set-up for a green screen might work well, but still! My point about losing separation stands, as well as the fact that a multi-cam setup makes a green screen much more difficult without looking cheap.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I think for the most part, green screen composites look not great. Again, they can be fine depending on the show, but for podcasts and the like, I think it'd be awful. The fact that there's visually zero separation from the subjects and the background is a big reason to not do it. It's also a lighting nightmare, requiring you to basically set up your lights so you have zero shadows or else the composite won't look good, which can make your subjects lose any depth. Combine that with multiple camera angles and the lack of any true depth of field in the close-ups because of the composite and again, it'll look cheap. From a practical standpoint, sure, it's functional. But aesthetically, it's terrible. It'd be like watching someone do the weather for three hours.
Oh I agree like these can be issues but I don't think these have to be issues. Like yeah after your explanation I need to add that I also wouldn't be a fan of just a giant green wall as a background I was more thinking like depending on what the goal is you can have like smaller framed sections of greenscreen that wouldn't necessary be right behind where person sits.

Like the type of thing I'm thinking off is coming more from the angle of seeing how people that use green screen for visual magic/tomfoolery think about using it. There thinking about a setup that's more natural fitting into the scene is more baked in if that makes any sense.

Tbf I was wrong saying that you could emulate what kinda funny does exactly I wasn't specific enough you wouldn't get the exact look down that is true. But just their general use of having an adaptable element in the background that can help give shows an individual feel I think you can get that with creative use of green screen as well.

Indominus

Jan 11, 2018
What are the chances of an lcd wall like kinda funny?

Anyone know how much something like that costs?

Could be a good investment. Would really give each show its own flavour.
Please, no! That lcd wall is so distracting and makes the place looking so artificial. I want something close to the coziness of the garage, a real place in the background that can be decorated with stuff sended by us. Something like the Game Informer studio would be cool imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I agree like these can be issues but I don't think these have to be issues. Like yeah after your explanation I need to add that I also wouldn't be a fan of just a giant green wall as a background I was more thinking like depending on what the goal is you can have like smaller framed sections of greenscreen that wouldn't necessary be right behind where person sits.

Like the type of thing I'm thinking off is coming more from the angle of seeing how people that use green screen for visual magic/tomfoolery think about using it. There thinking about a setup that's more natural fitting into the scene is more baked in if that makes any sense.

Tbf I was wrong saying that you could emulate what kinda funny does exactly I wasn't specific enough you wouldn't get the exact look down that is true. But just their general use of having an adaptable element in the background that can help give shows an individual feel I think you can get that with creative use of green screen as well.
Yeah, trying emulate the KF setup with a green screen is mostly where I get nervous. It just doesn't work well. But having a green screen in general is fine and very helpful. I did not enjoy the Huber Syndromes that he filmed at his apartment as much as I have the ones in front of the green screen. Opinion Yell wouldn't have 1/16th of the magic it has now if it were filmed without the green screen. But yeah, given the turnaround of the podcasts, adding a green screen would slow that down considerably and make it harder for them to get things out quickly. But as a tool, it's great. I'm excited to see what they come up with. Bummed they're not taking us along for the ride because I'd love to see the progress as they move in and such (as it's happening, not in some Easy Update after the fact, although I'll still enjoy that), but that's their choice I suppose. Should be a fun January!

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So after being a GT/EZA fan for years now, I finally became a patron today. Feels good, even if it's just a small contribution.
Guess I'll spend the next few days catching up on all the exclusive shows, starting with the newest Spoiler Mode, which incidentally has one of the most amazing intro jingles ever.
I'm gonna have that one stuck in my head for the rest of the day I'm sure. 😂

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So after being a GT/EZA fan for years now, I finally became a patron today. Feels good, even if it's just a small contribution.
Guess I'll spend the next few days catching up on all the exclusive shows, starting with the newest Spoiler Mode, which incidentally has one of the most amazing intro jingles ever.
I'm gonna have that one stuck in my head for the rest of the day I'm sure. 😂

A C T I V A T E D

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Hey, y'all!

I''ve been a trifle under the weather missed a lot of EZA content; is there anything in the last, say, 4 months I need to catch up on? Other than TTE & Box Peek of course....

Not loving the new Reset design btw

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Ooft, hope people realise it was an honest mistake before anything starts up.

It was clear that he had never heard of it before, which makes sense because it's not a popular site, but a look at their home page shows articles with quotes like these:

article for the Captain Marvel trailer said:
It picked up more than a million views a lot of thumbs up shortly after watching, thanks to a lot of normies not knowing any better and thinking that the movie is actually going to be good.

article attacking "SJWs" said:
It started with tweets from the typical SJW section of Twitter, including third-wave feminists, male-feminist allies, identitarians, and gender pronoun prefects.

a preview of a "lewd" visual novel said:
There are no battles in the game, and there are multiple partners for Kotoko to engage with and be taken advantage of as she discovers her own sexuality, along with having her sexuality exploited by perverts, homeless men, and exchange students. The game attempts to add slightly more interactivity than the typical visual novel while also providing gamers with plenty of lewd CG art to ogle.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Is it the translation? Does the original source in japanese says the same, at least?

No idea, I went there out of curiosity when he said the site name and quickly nope'd out of there. When I reached the preview about the hentai rape visual novel.

Hopefully no one visits it after hearing it on the podcast and thinks it was some sort of endorsement from Kyle, when it clearly was not.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of red flags in those quotes is staggering on a level I can't even fully comprehend.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
No idea, I went there out of curiosity when he said the site name and quickly nope'd out of there. When I reached the preview about the hentai rape visual novel.

Hopefully no one visits it after hearing it on the podcast and thinks it was some sort of endorsement from Kyle, when it clearly was not.
I don't think there is much to look into it, especially if it was the translation website.
Kyle just looked for a translation and he found it somewhere online.

It was clearly not an endorsement of the website (I honestly never think it is, he just uses the internet for information).

I usually don't go to check out those websites and I would have had a similar reaction to yours and just close the window if I would have in this case.
I honestly don't think it's a big deal myself. He just googled for a source and by accident came to that website which had the article he was looking for.

I can imagine that Kyle usually doesn't have a lot of time to find some of those things. I can see how you can miss the rest of the website if you are looking for a specific article and there aren't a lot of them about that topic. He probably didn't even check out the rest of the website.

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Do we know who's gonna be on the game awards stream?
I don't think they mentioned it, but I haven't watched the groupstream yet, so maybe they did on the groupstream.

edit:
I should probably just not answer these types of questions if I'm not sure about it as I don't watch enough streams to know about these things ;)

btw want to stress that I don't care that they talk about these things on stream. I think it's a good thing that they have this interaction with their fans, but it means that I probably won't know about it until somebody types it in here.

Thanks, TheDarkKnight for the info. I was curious as well.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Kyle clearly did not vet the site he got the translation from. It's Game Awards week so I'll cut him some slack :P

Didn't really like Jones' joke making light of 'softening cream'. I get the joke but the ridiculous objectification of women in video games absolutely plays into how a lot of male gamers view women irl. The uproar about including women in games like Battlefield V and Total War from certain parts of the gaming community has its roots in stupid shit like softening cream, imo.

Obviously Jones wasn't thinking of all that when he made the joke, but it again highlights their need for other perspectives in the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.