• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I really didn't like Pro Strats at the beginning but it has grown into a great bit. Damiani and Brad made it work with their comments. Good job, Kyle.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
His arguments seemed really misguided. If you're a big fan of Respawn and Titanfall, you'd think you'd be happy with them finding success with Apex.
It actually looked to me like he was hoping it would do well for Respawn. He would just rather have Titanfall 3 instead of Apex, which is understandable as he liked Titanfall 2 a lot and isn't the biggest fan of the Battle Royale genre (that's what I got from it anyway).

I didn't see anything wrong with his opinion on this, I don't think he was as negative as some people seem to think.
I think he was more disappointed that they weren't working on Titanfall 3 than anything else. The game was only released for a couple of days, so that disappointment was still fresh.

Last edited:

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I really didn't like Pro Strats at the beginning but it has grown into a great bit. Damiani and Brad made it work with their comments. Good job, Kyle.

I just wish Pro Strats wasn't contained to the beginning of the podcast. If there was some way to have a Pro Strats segment at the end of the podcast, too, that'd be the only way to make it even better.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish Pro Strats wasn't contained to the beginning of the podcast. If there was some way to have a Pro Strats segment at the end of the podcast, too, that'd be the only way to make it even better.

I'm with this too. It's very "Or Wars" in it's execution and delivery to me, so I'd prefer it towards the backend when everyone is warmed up rather than the cold open feeling it's got now.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pro Strats works better now that it's entirely self-deprecating.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah with everything going SO well at the moment that is the only critique I have - I know that logo has served them well but I feel like entering a sort of "2.0" era it's time to update them all. The old ones aren't bad, but keeping the same branding style throughout would be a good thing I think.
I assume they are being cautious and having a slow rollout. But yeah it seems weird now, having them run concurrently. the new logo is so good it makes the old one look ms paint amateurish in comparison.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
While eating breakfast did some poking around on the EZA numbers.
  • From a year ago today they have grown by 2,910 patrons and $9,102
  • In the last two days since the RE2 spoiler mode dropped they gained 138 new patrons in 2 days.
  • I'm thinking when the KH3 spoiler mode drops its highly likely they will pass 9k patrons
  • If they pass 9k and fill in the two empty podcast sponsors they will be real close to the 52k Full playthrough Friday goal
The best takeaway though is they're seeing growth after the studio move in. It wasn't a bullish number and then dipped once the landmark was achieved

Based on the teases so far I expect another tier/goal shakeup heading into their March anniversary or shortly after it. And that has historically given them good boosts as well

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
  • In the last two days since the RE2 spoiler mode dropped they gained 138 new patrons in 2 days.
  • I'm thinking when the KH3 spoiler mode drops its highly likely they will pass 9k patrons
  • If they pass 9k and fill in the two empty podcast sponsors they will be real close to the 52k Full playthrough Friday goal
The best takeaway though is they're seeing growth after the studio move in. It wasn't a bullish number and then dipped once the landmark was achieved

Based on the teases so far I expect another tier/goal shakeup heading into their March anniversary or shortly after it. And that has historically given them good boosts as well
Knowing this, I'd love to see them break the 9,000 patron number soon. Especially since it seems soon!

P.S I decided to update my name to DinoPulse here on ResetEra/Discord/Patreon/The EZA Forums and the like if you're wondering. It's still me GamerDino aka ProtoPulse.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I feel pro strats only has become stale I come and read responses here and am back to loving it :-x

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Is this part of the bit?

I can't for the life of me understand why that is a thing. Maybe there's some deep EZA lore I'm missing?
Their reactions are clearly part of the whole thing.
I don't think there is much lore you need to know for this. If you have seen enough of Kyle's humor/bits before you can see it's a bit.
The first time Jones reacted strongly I didn't realise it until a couple of seconds in, but since then I'm sure it's all part of the whole thing.

Also, if you are unsure if something is a bit, it probably is.

I do agree that this type of humor/thing is probably not as easy to understand/get into when you don't watch a lot of EZA (and I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like it). I hope it doesn't scare away too many new people, but it's a short thing anyway, so I'm all for it.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018
man, hearing brandon talk about not changing the rest of the logos (yet) and justifying it is a real bummer. a (most importantly) cohesive, updated brand identity would be so great (and the partial updates already are!) and it sounds like it's kind of because "not everyone has weighed in yet". talking about needing to put a ton of time into it... but the live stream logo and podcast logo are already different...

seems like they should have done it all at once down the line or not at all.

EDIT: and i get it- this stuff takes time, and they want to do it right, but it seems misguided to not have had it priority and let it happen piece by piece

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed weird to talk about changing the podcast logo vs. changing the main logo since I never really considered them distinct in the past. They were basically the same, unless we're talking specifically about the shortened EZA logo. They only seem different to me now because one changed and not the other. I never would've thought of the podcast logo changing and the main one not... I kinda just felt like the podcast logo was the main logo.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
it sounds like it's kind of because "not everyone has weighed in yet". talking about needing to put a ton of time into it... but the live stream logo and podcast logo are already different...

Jones explained this. Podcast logo is Kyle's call alone. Ben is in charge of Frame Trap. Damiani is responsible for the stream presentation. Everyone has to be happy with the overall branding.

May 30, 2018
Jones explained this. Podcast logo is Kyle's call alone. Ben is in charge of Frame Trap. Damiani is responsible for the stream presentation. Everyone has to be happy with the overall branding.

yeah, i was listening. which is why i said they should maybe have waited to do it all at once. right now there are at least 2 different brandings/logos of the words Easy Allies that are consistently in use. not a great move imo.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
yeah, i was listening. which is why i said they should maybe have waited to do it all at once. right now there are at least 2 different brandings/logos of the words Easy Allies that are consistently in use. not a great move imo.

You were listening, but for the people who were not, it's only fair to add Jones reasoning no matter whether you agree with the result or not.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Not the first time Jones has mentioned Ian being the big holdout on a main logo rebrand. Didn't Ian design the original? I wonder if he's just offended that people want to change it, or does he think the new proposed versions aren't as good/much better? All seems odd to me and not something that should be just left for another year or two to address.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i sort of get jones' reasoning but they probably should have held fire on new stuff till they got everything updated. Having obviously professionally graphic designed logos next to ones that are obviously not professionally designed, does the old stuff no favours (imo anyway).

And they've put themselves in a weird position now. The new stream/podcast logo has been super well received, if they update the 'official easy allies' logo to anything different than that it's gonna have an uphill task to satisfy fans already happy with what they thought was the new logo.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
My stance is, whatever. Like some of the other details people here are passionate about (pillars!), the logo / branding isn't a big one to me.

I really like the current "classic" logos. And regardless if they changed it I don't see it ever going away completely
I enjoy the new logos shown so far as well.

If they want to change them cool. If they don't, fine.

Like and subscribe if you want to get more of these gray Luke warm opinions!

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
My stance is, whatever. Like some of the other details people here are passionate about (pillars!), the logo / branding isn't a big one to me.

I really like the current "classic" logos. And regardless if they changed it I don't see it ever going away completely
I enjoy the new logos shown so far as well.

If they want to change them cool. If they don't, fine.

Like and subscribe if you want to get more of these gray Luke warm opinions!
This is my opinion as well, but what can you do.

I do understand why people are hoping fr new stuff (new stuff is always nice) and that some people care more about logos and branding than others.
Let's hope they find a way to make everybody happy.
Not the first time Jones has mentioned Ian being the big holdout on a main logo rebrand. Didn't Ian design the original? I wonder if he's just offended that people want to change it, or does he think the new proposed versions aren't as good/much better? All seems odd to me and not something that should be just left for another year or two to address.
I do think Ian designed the logo, so I guess that can be a reason.

As far as the importance goes: I don't agree, I don't see why they can't wait with this as it's fine for me as is.

It's just subjective. Some people care about that a lot and let logo's/thumbnails seemingly dictate which videos to click on. Some people don't care about that stuff as long as the content is good. Either of those opinions is valid for sure, but I can imagine it being difficult to make time and spend money for new logo's if one or a couple of the Allies are in the camp which doesn't care as much about logo's as it doesn't change the content.

Last edited:

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
yeah it is what it is, not too big of a deal. I just think it's weird to now be sitting on a logo that pretty much everyone (?) seems to like better.

Also, funny that the allies were surprised by the response. I guess they didn't realise how many fans were hoping for/expecting a professional refresh across the board.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Cup of Jones is a good listen this week for all y'all with studio opinions.

Jones basically described the Podcast Studio, and to a lesser extent, the streaming space, as a "blank slate" that they'll improve on later. Most of the things suggested here they've heard and it sounds like they want to eventually make some changes once they feel the place out.

With that said, one of things mentioned here is they have basically exhausted the $ they budgeted for the studio. The good news is the studio is f'n fantastic as it stands now, the bad news is that things might be slow to adapt for a while.

I might be a broken record on this, but I think it's pretty foolish to not have a new shows/new stuff fundraiser in the near future. We've all eagerly waited nearly 3ish years for this moment, and I'm sure many of us want to help them realize the full potential of the place rather than a slow build and be a part of the celebration. I know I'd like to throw them a healthy amount of cash for a specific show/studio improvement. And I'll repeat again, having shows tied to specific Patreon goals is doing them no favors and it will make things awkward in the future. Really hope they try to fund these shows up front going forward.

And since I'm often reading this thread and I feel almost obligated to have an opinion on the logos and branding and whatnot. Here it is! I just hardly care about it one way or the other! I think they should change to the snazzier unified look, but it ultimately doesn't move the needle much for me at all. VERY happy Frame Trap got rid of the generic youtube jingle (seriously, once you hear it somewhere else and the Huber Syndrome song, they lose all the charm).

-Other minor things I hope they improve on: Twitter. Like, it is still bonkers to me that they go live without an announcement anywhere, especially because besides Kyle on Friday nights and the Tuesday group stream, all are usually very random times. Like we had two amazing multi-Ally studio streams this week (Ian and Don Jurassic Park insanity and Huber and Damiani speedrunning RE 2) and Easy Allies didn't say a word. It's like Easy Allies is allergic to common sense promotion. The % of people who stick around 2+ hours to the end of the Tuesday night streams to hear usually half baked streaming announcements and/or check the website daily has to be a stupidly small number.

Related to that, it's weird to me how slow they've also been with Youtube uploads. I think Blood usually takes care of that, and I'm not meaning to criticize him one bit as I'm sure he's swamped, but it just seems like the easiest thing to do and anyone can do it. I think I've heard making thumbnails is sometimes the issue and I just think that seems like a waste of time for the Easy Allies Plays section. It's a Twitch archive dumping ground, just take a generic shot of some point during the stream so we can see who is playing along with the game and get that thing uploaded ASAP.

Other than that, mannn, they crushed it this week. The studio and the streaming room look/sound fantastic, and they've amazingly had very few technical hiccups along the way. Serious props to Ian's wizardry. The Don/Ian and Huber/Damiani random studio streams are exactly how I want them to be using the studio. The future is bright and I'm so thrilled with how everything is turning up for them.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Related to that, it's weird to me how slow they've also been with Youtube uploads. I think Blood usually takes care of that, and I'm not meaning to criticize him one bit as I'm sure he's swamped, but it just seems like the easiest thing to do and anyone can do it. I think I've heard making thumbnails is sometimes the issue and I just think that seems like a waste of time for the Easy Allies Plays section. It's a Twitch archive dumping ground, just take a generic shot of some point during the stream so we can see who is playing along with the game and get that thing uploaded ASAP.

Blood is out on his wedding anniversary road trip (check the photos on twitter - they're nice!), but I've also wondered what's keeping the Allies from having a Vice Easy-Allies-Plays Uploader. Maybe it's just the fact you already alluded to that the views aren't really worth taking a second person away from their duties.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
-Other minor things I hope they improve on: Twitter. Like, it is still bonkers to me that they go live without an announcement anywhere, especially because besides Kyle on Friday nights and the Tuesday group stream, all are usually very random times. Like we had two amazing multi-Ally studio streams this week (Ian and Don Jurassic Park insanity and Huber and Damiani speedrunning RE 2) and Easy Allies didn't say a word. It's like Easy Allies is allergic to common sense promotion. The % of people who stick around 2+ hours to the end of the Tuesday night streams to hear usually half baked streaming announcements and/or check the website daily has to be a stupidly small number.
Anyone interested in keeping up with their streams should follow them on Twitch and enable email notifications.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone interested in keeping up with their streams should follow them on Twitch and enable email notifications.

Twitch barely works on Android TV and using it on my tablet with a Bluetooth speaker, the sound eventually goes out of sync. I'd grab more VODs if their apps weren't shit, and I can't watch live because of my timezone.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Twitch barely works on Android TV and using it on my tablet with a Bluetooth speaker, the sound eventually goes out of sync. I'd grab more VODs if their apps weren't shit, and I can't watch live because of my timezone.

I'm assuming you have a ps4 or an xbox one, cant use just use one of those to watch VODs?

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the only reason the archives are up late this week is because I'm out. I may try to get someone to back me up in the future, but as mentioned, I try not to let it get in the way of other priorities, which often ends up happening anyway. I'm also trying to avoid it take over my weekends so I'll ordinarily try to catch Kyle's Friday night stream on Monday.

Thumbnails are pretty much never the issue, but as simple as it should be, there are times when it can just be an utter pain. Large multi-hour videos take hours and hours to transfer and then have more potential for failing. Sometimes even a couple dropped frames can tank the whole thing and I have to go through multiple experiments and attempts to isolate the issue and cut around it, and each step of the process can take hours. And obviously I don't have to sit around waiting for it, so I may not be there as soon as YouTube's processing randomly finishes.

I'm also a bit of a librarian with this stuff so I try to make sure that the end screens, playlists, etc. are all set up. Not that it really adds a lot of time, but there are just a lot of little details that may not always be noticed.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017

But what lofty number do we need to hit to get final bosman back!!??

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It's probably never going to happen imo (and that's ok). Kyle doesn't want to do it any more and that's more than reason enough reason to not do it.
It would also be a bad thing to let him do it against his will. It will probably make it less good as it once was and it will burn out Kyle, which is the worst thing of all.

There is no good reason for them to do shows they don't want to do.

I'm also sure all the Allies have enough work as is.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably never going to happen imo (and that's ok). Kyle doesn't want to do it any more and that's more than reason enough reason to not do it.
It would also be a bad thing to let him do it against his will. It will probably make it not as good as it once was and it will burn out Kyle, which is the worst thing of all.

There is no good reason for them to do shows they don't want to do.
Have to imagine it's frustrating for him to have this amazing new opportunity to do WHATEVER he wants, and everyone wants him to do the thing that stressed him out big time. Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome it, but I've given up believing it'll ever happen and that's fine. If Box Peek is a sign of things to come, I think we'll be okay.

But I will say this: bring back bonus bits. I don't care where. I really miss my post-show serialized dramas.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
drevil_cover.jpg

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they see sense and update the rest of the logos/graphics soon. Makes no sense to hang on to outdated ones when you have amazing new stuff to represent your brand, especially seems you're starting a new era in the studio.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I like the boldness of the current EZA logo (both the long and short versions). The new podcast logo is nice but it's very polished in a way that I don't care too much for.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Blood is out on his wedding anniversary road trip (check the photos on twitter - they're nice!), but I've also wondered what's keeping the Allies from having a Vice Easy-Allies-Plays Uploader. Maybe it's just the fact you already alluded to that the views aren't really worth taking a second person away from their duties.

Yep. Just seems to me that it should be part of the "deal" when they stream. When they go live, they should update social media about it beforehand, and then when they're done, they should start the upload process on their end. It does take time, but that's why it's even weirder that seemingly one person is in charge of it all when there really isn't anything seemingly all that difficult about it except for the time aspect.

That's one of my issues with this whole thing. You kind of got to jump through weird hoops to know what they're up to. Sure, you could enable notifications, but of their 50k+ followers on Twitch, how many are doing that? You could check the website daily, but how many know Easy Allies have a website even? Basically, they should make it as easy as possible for everyone to know what they're up to as it directly benefits them when more people tune it. And firing off a 5-second tweet on a platform that has 26k+ followers and many have open much of the day seems like such an easy thing to do.

For the people in this thread, they generally know what they're up to. Unfortunately, the vast, vast majority are more casual and aren't checking the website daily.

Yeah the only reason the archives are up late this week is because I'm out. I may try to get someone to back me up in the future, but as mentioned, I try not to let it get in the way of other priorities, which often ends up happening anyway. I'm also trying to avoid it take over my weekends so I'll ordinarily try to catch Kyle's Friday night stream on Monday.

Thumbnails are pretty much never the issue, but as simple as it should be, there are times when it can just be an utter pain. Large multi-hour videos take hours and hours to transfer and then have more potential for failing. Sometimes even a couple dropped frames can tank the whole thing and I have to go through multiple experiments and attempts to isolate the issue and cut around it, and each step of the process can take hours. And obviously I don't have to sit around waiting for it, so I may not be there as soon as YouTube's processing randomly finishes.

I'm also a bit of a librarian with this stuff so I try to make sure that the end screens, playlists, etc. are all set up. Not that it really adds a lot of time, but there are just a lot of little details that may not always be noticed.

Hey! Enjoy your well-deserved trip and thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.