• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017

I'm guessing you're more concerned with the main account, but it did happen, and it looks like the stream got good views. "Ironclad rules" though is pretty funny. It's something that can be mentioned, but I'm not sure which one of us is supposed to be the cop about this. And while I agree that it's standard practice, I'm not losing sleep over it if it's missed. I'm skeptical that it makes that big of a difference overall. We have twice as many followers on Twitch for one, and they tend to flow in immediately when we're live, even before I shoot out a Tweet.

I think I notice it more then most because in the past I used to work for a website (not gaming related) and we had access to all the analytics. If we tweeted with a link to our work, we got wayyy more views typically then when not tweeting/sharing on social media and there was always the chance it would be passed around by our followers. While websites are great, a greater percentage of people don't browse them as much in the past and just click on links shared from twitter, reddit, facebook, message boards, etc.

Hah, and i'm not asking for anyone to be a "cop" about it (although punishments might be hilarious), i'd think it should just be ingrained as something basic that should be done akin to checking that the camera works and making sure you remembered to put on pants before going live.

I know this exactly wasn't your intent, but just because you have more followers on Twitch shouldn't mean you should ignore 26k+ on Twitter and other platforms. The people filing in immediately are the "hardcore" EZA fans that are awesome and there regardless, it's the other more casual that you hope to get their attention.

To be clear, I'm not saying that you'll be pulling in Ninja #'s by tweeting out a link, but even just pulling in a fraction of them adds up over time. And in the past, it has bummed me out when a stream I'd typically look forward to I miss because I wasn't aware of it even though I follow you guys on youtube, twitter, twitch, support on Patreon since day 1 and follow this thread. If i'm missing out on things, think how much the more casual EZA viewer might miss out on especially because of EZA's typically more sporadic streaming schedule.

But yeah, certainly a bigger deal has been made out of this then was intended. This is a completely minor mole hill of a complaint compared to the mountains of greatness I get from the group.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, it's kind of funny how this is such a popular opinion now all due to crossplay. It's more about fanboy ammo than actually being something that matters much.

It's even siller, considering "CrossPlay" is literally a marketing term Sony came up with to describe the cross platform multiplayer they have been supporting far longer than Microsoft. Sony is only "arrogant" in comparison to Microsoft's Phil Spencer solicitous desperation, ala Jones' impression. In reality they've just continued successfully giving people what they actually want for over 5 years, which is why they have been selling so much better than the competition. It's really easy to see how silly the argument is when one of the major talking points is that Sony refuses to sell a $150 controller.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And it's pretty important to remember a lot of Titanfall 2's failure is due to EA's horrific scheduling of its release.

The thing that came out recently was that the Titanfall 2 release date was chosen by Respawn entirely. They wanted to go head to head with CoD.

Battlefield got an annoying delay when the date was already locked in, but yeah, Respawn thought they could go toe to toe with CoD.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
The new switch model being digital only would be horrible. Wish the Allies stop bringing it up constantly. Not everyone has good internet or the desire to go full digital

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
The new switch model being digital only would be horrible. Wish the Allies stop bringing it up constantly. Not everyone has good internet or the desire to go full digital
I can understand that and I don't want physical media to go away (even though I buy almost everything digital nowadays), but you can be sure it's going to happen eventually. Especially for a portable device. The old Switch will always be there. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of one of the next gen Xbox SKU's will be digital only.

I am sure they will still have models which have physical discs or cartridges, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are digital only versions for Nintendo, Microsoft (and maybe Sony) next gen. They make more money on digital games, they can save on space and costs for the console and a lot of people don't buy physical any more.

Not talking about it won't change those facts. It's not like they have any say in the matter anyway.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It was a really bizzare question in that it seemed to ask about all generations, and yet the person writing the question was only thinking contemperoneously.

Discounting everything Sonys done because you don't agree with cross play is... oof.
Thats the thing, this 'Arrogant Sony' has come back all because of cross play and them pulling out of E3.

Cross play - yeah its crap but just because MS and Nintendo have suddenly decided its OK doesnt mean Sony are arrogant when they have been better then both companies for years until the recent change from the opposition.

As for E3, thats obviously to do with the PS5 so the idea that they are arrogant is ridiculous. If they were arrogant they would hold E3 anyway and just use the few games we still have left and some 3rd party ones and expect that to be enough.

Its clear that anyone who promotes the idea that Sony are now arrogant is just basing that on their own feelings and console war rhetoric because PS4 is still the best selling console in the world even in their 5th year on the market and they have had a lot of praise in the last year due to award winning exclusives.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

I just want that at least once a conversation about how digital-only further commodifies games when we drool over the "digital future". Maybe I should write in to one of these podcasts (it isn't just EZA).

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It was a really bizzare question in that it seemed to ask about all generations, and yet the person writing the question was only thinking contemperoneously.

Discounting everything Sonys done because you don't agree with cross play is... oof.
Thats the thing, this 'Arrogant Sony' has come back all because of cross play and them pulling out of E3.

Cross play - yeah its crap but just because MS and Nintendo have suddenly decided its OK doesnt mean Sony are arrogant when they have been better then both companies for years until the recent change from the opposition.

As for E3, thats obviously to do with the PS5 so the idea that they are arrogant is ridiculous. If they were arrogant they would hold E3 anyway and just use the few games we still have left and some 3rd party ones and expect that to be enough.

Its clear that anyone who promotes the idea that Sony are now arrogant is just basing that on their own feelings and console war rhetoric because PS4 is still the best selling console in the world even in their 5th year on the market and they have had a lot of praise in the last year due to award winning exclusives.
Yeah, while I do agree that Sony is becoming somewhat arrogant (as I explained before on here), I don't agree that they didn't do anything at all for gaming (I totally forgot about that part when I replied on here the previous time).

They did a lot and I am not sure how it is in other countries, but if people in the "normal" media in Belgium (like papers and TV) talk about playing video games, they talk about "Playing Playstation". I honestly think they did a lot for gaming and it's just untrue that they didn't innovate. They weren't the first with CD media, but they were the first that did it well for example. They just made gaming more popular (even though it's impossible to know how it would have grown without them).

I am just worried that they will make the same mistakes that happened in previous gens with them (PS2 -> PS3), Nintendo (Wii -> Wii U) and Microsoft (Xbox 360 -> Xbox One). It seems to me the people in front (especially if it isn't close) have the feeling nothing can happen to them. I hope they stay clear of that.

I don't think not being at E3 is arrogant. It's risky but I am sure they have a well thought out plan for PS5.
I do still think they should add Backwards Compatibility again to PS5 and they should allow CrossPlay (even though MS did the same thing last gen, the times have changed).

There just is a big difference between their "Sharing Videogames video" and their current stance on a lot of things. Because they were trying to win back then and now they are so much in front that it's not super healthy. I don't think they did a lot wrong this gen (I still prefer playing on my PS4 over my Xbox One), I am just worried for next gen because how it went for everyone on top the last couple of gens. Also, while Forza is one of my favorite franchises of all time, Sony just has the better exclusives by a large margin.

Btw, I only owned a PS1 and PS2 in those gens. Last gen my primary console was Xbox 360, but I also owned a PS3. This gen PS4 (but I also own an Xbox One and a Switch). I also own a Vita and VitaTV.

I don't think you can call me a Microsoft fanboy. I would have called myself a Playstation fan in the PS1/PS2 era (nothing fanatic). Nowadays I call myself a videogame fan. I enjoy all the systems I own actually. They all have their pro's and cons.

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I can understand that and I don't want physical media to go away (even though I buy almost everything digital nowadays), but you can be sure it's going to happen eventually. Especially for a portable device. The old Switch will always be there. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of one of the next gen Xbox SKU's will be digital only.

I am sure they will still have models which have physical discs or cartridges, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are digital only versions for Nintendo, Microsoft (and maybe Sony) next gen. They make more money on digital games, they can save on space and costs for the console and a lot of people don't buy physical any more.

Not talking about it won't change those facts. It's not like they have any say in the matter anyway.

I think that with nintendo saying there send goal is to start getting multiple switches into households putting out a digital only model would be disastrous. Imagine being the parent who buys a second switch so there kids dont have to share anymore only to realize that none of the games they already own can be played on this new model.

Personally speaking I want to get a second switch so my girlfriend and I can play animal crossing together. Theres no way she would be okay with having to rebuy zelda is she wanted to play it on her switch when we own the cartridge.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I think that with nintendo saying there send goal is to start getting multiple switches into households putting out a digital only model would be disastrous. Imagine being the parent who buys a second switch so there kids dont have to share anymore only to realize that none of the games they already own can be played on this new model.

Personally speaking I want to get a second switch so my girlfriend and I can play animal crossing together. Theres no way she would be okay with having to rebuy zelda is she wanted to play it on her switch when we own the cartridge.
I get that for sure. I don't know if the smaller Switch is going to be a digital only version. I am only saying that digital only consoles are coming one way or another. I don't know when, but my guess would be next gen (next to consoles with physical media). I would probably still buy a console with physical media even though I almost exclusively buy digital (with a couple of exceptions). I still want to be able to play dvd's and blu-ray's on those consoles even though I don't own a lot of them.

I do see the problems you mentioned as well. Zelda is the only physical game I own on Switch and even though I haven't played it yet (I'm super afraid of starting it because of how long it is), I wouldn't want to rebuy it digitally either. But I do see the benefits for the console makers and I think they can get away with it as long as they don't only sell digital only consoles (because the stores will get upset if they do).

Last edited:

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
New to the schedule? "Civilization VI with Ian and Sofia" this Thursday!

Ian solidifying the role of EZA Studio MVP.

Nov 5, 2017
I dont see anything crazy about damani's opinion especially in the timeframe that it was given and do not think in anyway he would be someone that wouldnt admit that he was wrong when given time to show the games long term success.

It had been out for what not even 48 hours at that point ? Of course people are going to be wondering if the game is really truly a success at that point and thankfully we had someone on the podcast to drive the discussion like that. Its doing super well but games can fall pretty hard and quick at one wrong turn

Case in point: PUBG - it was doing so well in 2017, then when Fortnite blatantly copied its design,
At this rate, Ian will be living in the studio really soon.

Yes, it's the glaring weakness of the Allies.

Not only EZA, but with many other Patreon-funded groups (KF comes to mind 1st). They are heavily console focused as well. I guess it is the ease of use of the platform that appeals to so many.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Not only EZA, but with many other Patreon-funded groups (KF comes to mind 1st). They are heavily console focused as well. I guess it is the ease of use of the platform that appeals to so many.
I can totally relate with that. I own a crazy amount of PC games on steam (with being almost addicted to buying them in bundles or steam sales), but I hardly ever play on PC. For one because my PC is getting way too old (it's from 2012 and I really need to put together a new one), but also because I am not the biggest fan of playing most games on PC. Exceptions for me are mouse driven games (stuff like RimWorld, Prison Architect and the like), but for all the others I prefer consoles by a long shot.

I work in IT, but I hate it when software doesn't work properly and I really want to be able to relax when I game and not get pissed off because something crashes or it doesn't work properly. I also don't want to fiddle with setting for half an hour. I do that kind of stuff enough at my job.

But I think it's a good thing that they seem to stream more PC games, I know a lot of people are asking for that, so it's great to see.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Oh, so Huber and Damiani's stream did happen?! Genuinely, there's nothing on the official social medias about it so I was under the impression it didn't happen.

Hope it goes on Easy Allies Plays soon because I really want to watch more RE2!

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Oh, so Huber and Damiani's stream did happen?! Genuinely, there's nothing on the official social medias about it so I was under the impression it didn't happen.

Hope it goes on Easy Allies Plays soon because I really want to watch more RE2!
I watched it on Twitch yesterday, but I usually wait for youtube as I really hate the Twitch player on PS4 (I don't watch that many streams either, but I did enjoy the ones I have watched recorded in the new studio).

I sometimes accidentally go out of the vod on my PS4 because it works differently then the youtube app I am used to and you than have to scrub through the whole thing to find where you were instead of it remembering where you were (which I really got used to because of youtube). So for longer streams like Ben's Tales Of Vesperia stream, it's not something I want to do.

Edit:
Apparently Ben's stream has just been uploaded to youtube.
Thanks, Blood!

Last edited:

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I watched it on Twitch yesterday, but I usually wait for youtube as I really hate the Twitch player on PS4 (I don't watch that many streams either, but I did enjoy the ones I have watched recorded in the new studio).

I sometimes accidentally go out of the vod on my PS4 because it works differently then the youtube app I am used to and you than have to scrub through the whole thing to find where you were instead of it remembering where you were (which I really got used to because of youtube). So for longer streams like Ben's Tales Of Vesperia stream, it's not something I want to do.

Yeah, I never watch a stream in one sitting so I always wait for the Archive to go up on YouTube just because of the remember-where-you-were feature.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Ian used to have a full time job as an editor as well as being an Allie, right? If he's able to commit so much time to working on the studio, did he get time off or is he only Allies now?

Ian is essentially full-time, from various updates on Cup of Jones, but does the occasional freelance editing job on the side.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ian used to have a full time job as an editor as well as being an Allie, right? If he's able to commit so much time to working on the studio, did he get time off or is he only Allies now?
Jones has said that all of the allies besides Don are full time with EZA. Some will still do freelance work, like Ian, or Kyle with Keighley, but they're still full time EZA.

May 30, 2018
i wish there was a better way to make it easily clear without being annoying that the Easy Allies Plays channel exists. my buddy has been following EZA for half a year and didn't realize the channel existed until i mentioned it yesterday.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't that crazy to be honest. Radical Heights started really strong too and died down fast after. At the surface it's not that far fetched too assume that Apex could be similar it's only if we get into the differences that might showcase a different future for Apex.

It is crazy IF YOU PLAYED IT. Why do people act like every BR game is the of the same quality? Radical Heights was like a 6.5. This game has a 91 on Metacritic.

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It is crazy IF YOU PLAYED IT. Why do people act like every BR game is the of the same quality? Radical Heights was like a 6.5. This game has a 91 on Metacritic.

Yeah seriously. it is a really well made game. I am with Damiani on I wish we were getting TF3 but this is wonderful and this is also my first BR experience. I really don't see this going anywhere especially with the report of this getting 25 million players already.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Hello Guys. Is it just me or the Podcast format seems a bit outdated? I like the podcast, but it seems to me the format and time of recording limits a lot of the conversation. Once the Allies get to talk about a topic, we have read and gone far beyond the initial news that it seems kind of redundant at the time.
I still appreciate their perspective tho, but I believe recording the podcast on friday afternoon and ready for patreons on Saturday morning would be best. Monday for Youtube.

Also, Ian seems like the mvp now.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hello Guys. Is it just me or the Podcast format seems a bit outdated? I like the podcast, but it seems to me the format and time of recording limits a lot of the conversation. Once the Allies get to talk about a topic, we have read and gone far beyond the initial news that it seems kind of redundant at the time.
I still appreciate their perspective tho, but I believe recording the podcast on friday afternoon and ready for patreons on Saturday morning would be best. Monday for Youtube.

Also, Ian seems like the mvp now.
It doesn't really matter when it's recorded, it's still going to be outdated when it goes live on Youtube. And if you wait until Friday, any news from the start of the week will be a week old when it releases. Just the downside of weekly recordings.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Again I don't think Damiani has played it at that point it was like 2 days after the release. Anyone that wants to drive the wow Damiani was friggin nuts for ever doubting Apex train matter what be my guest. In that case it's agree to disagree but honestly I just don't see how it's so hard to see his perspective considering the info/knowledge he had at that point in time. He isn't even the only one Kotaku splitscreen shared similar concerns.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't really matter when it's recorded, it's still going to be outdated when it goes live on Youtube. And if you wait until Friday, any news from the start of the week will be a week old when it releases. Just the downside of weekly recordings.

Yep, but they always seems to miss a lot of news with the podcast recording on Tuesday. At least on Friday they will cover everything.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
It's plausible that if we actually took a long statistical look at when news has tended to drop for the industry that it wouldn't be equally distributed over the week (for whatever reason). That said, we (or, at least, I) don't know when the news most often drops over the course of a week. So it's not like it would be trivial to figure out and pick a day to record the podcast that would miss the least news by the least amount of time, let alone scheduling it around all the Allies' schedules.

However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't matter when they record. There could actually be a somewhat significantly better day of the week to do the podcast news-wise. It just might be difficult to figure it out and not particularly worth the hassle for various reasons.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
It's not just news either. Sometimes Kyle just chooses leaks or rumors and those can come any day. It might still be worth considering if it's better to have 4 and a half working days before the podcast meet or if 2 of the preceding 3 and a half days were the weekend days and if really much happens on those at least industry PR/announcement-wise.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's always the possibility that Nintendo will loosen their digital licensing terms to facilitate family sharing of games. Right now it's more restrictive than PS4, but they could announce a Family Library feature alongside a new model.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've been watching old GT streams of resident evil.

So fucking good, Huber and Kyle playing RE4 and Huber and Brad running through RE5 was also great. Huber is right up there with Kyle as my fave ally.

Watching the RE2 playthrough kow and Huber just finished Claire's campaign and gonna watch the Leon half tomorrow.

I badly want them to hit 52k so we get full play through fridays, it's my most wanted games goal of any.

Status
Not open for further replies.