• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I guess it's the combined result of the plethora of Spoiler Modes and the exposition the new studio is giving them.

Top Ten Top Ten Numbers was legit amazing, from the well thought script, to the on point editing. Might be one of the best constructed videos they've ever put out.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Is the question from CoJ about Pro Strats Only the legit reason why people disliked the segment? Is it just because they felt "rejected" for not having their questions read out or engaged with?

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Is the question from CoJ about Pro Strats Only the legit reason why people disliked the segment? Is it just because they felt "rejected" for not having their questions read out or engaged with?
I don't think so. People complained about it day one, before it was clear it was a bit (at least to me).
I can't speak for this myself as I didn't mind the segment, but it seemed to me some people were just not feeling it day one.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Kyle requested Pro Strats Only content every week and then they did nothing with it besides reading it out loud for 3 entire weeks. What was the point asking the patrons then? He could just make up some stuff himself if the aim was to create a bit since the beginning.

Let's put that aside though, the whole thing was novel for like one week, then it got immediately stale. It wasn't that funny, creative or anything in particular. Shrek was a nice inside joke, born spontaneously, this... I dunno what it was honestly. I didn't actively hate it like some apparently did, but it just felt so unnecessary.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Kyle requested Pro Strats Only content every week and then they did nothing with it besides reading it out loud for 3 entire weeks. What was the point asking the patrons then? He could just make up some stuff himself if the aim was to create a bit since the beginning.

Let's put that aside though, the whole thing was novel for like one week, then it got immediately stale. It wasn't that funny, creative or anything in particular. Shrek was a nice inside joke, born spontaneously, this... I dunno what it was honestly. I didn't actively hate it like some apparently did, but it just felt so unnecessary.
I think it started as a serious thing, but failed and turned into a bit.
People upset that theirs wasn't chosen is dumb however, since only one would be picked each week, no matter what the opening game was.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it started as a serious thing, but failed and turned into a bit.
People upset that theirs wasn't chosen is dumb however, since only one would be picked each week, no matter what the opening game was.
From the comment here, I thought it was about their question being picked but then the panel not interacting with it due to the bit. Could have misinterpreted the whole thing as I don't remember what was said on CoJ.

EDIT: I agree that people writing those super serious CoJ comments over this is silly though. I can't see how someone could be so upset to feel the need to vent about it on air through Jones's voice. I just thought it sucked and moved on as well.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
From the comment here, I thought it was about their question being picked but then the panel not interacting with it due to the bit. Could have misinterpreted the whole thing as I don't remember what was said on CoJ.
Ah, I haven't watched CoJ, but that would make more sense (but still none) than what I thought was being said.

Also, need a Twitch Drive to get Kyle a pair of Pumas.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
I liked both what pro strats started as and what it became. The first week they played the game as intended, but for reasons I still don't fully grasp there was a strangely large backlash to the game, so clearly at that point Kyle decided to go full troll with it. Had a lot of laughs with it, especially towards the end.

Wish I understood why that initial reaction was so negative...it was nearly the same bit as And For That Reason. The panel is presented a fake game and ultimately has a binary choice they can riff on.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
i didn't like pro strats only from the start because it didn't really have the riffing that kyle probably thought it would, but once the bit became apparent i started liking it.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I liked both what pro strats started as and what it became. The first week they played the game as intended, but for reasons I still don't fully grasp there was a strangely large backlash to the game, so clearly at that point Kyle decided to go full troll with it. Had a lot of laughs with it, especially towards the end.

Wish I understood why that initial reaction was so negative...it was nearly the same bit as And For That Reason. The panel is presented a fake game and ultimately has a binary choice they can riff on.

lol, I forgot it was even a real thing at first, I thought it started as a bit.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I think the main problem with Pro Stratz Only is that it was hard to make submissions for. I think for the vast majority of games if you are undecided between doing two things the answer is 'Do both eventually.'

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And maybe for that reason Huber might dig it, especially if Jones and Blood join him on Thursday. But I think you're right: most gamers don't have IRL friends who game and if they do, they may not all be into the

And For That Reason has way more scope for riffing. Pro strats was exactly the same every week and was never entertaining.

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
I saw a lot of potential in Pro Strats Only. For me what kept it from reaching its full potential was that it required a binary choice for the panel.

For example "I am playing blank and stuck at blank, do I blank or blank?"

I think it would have worked better if it was an open ended question.

"I am playing blank and stuck at blank, how do I proceed?:

poliwhirl

Sep 14, 2018
For me, the key difference between And For That Reason and Pro Strats Only was the lack of context in the latter. Both revolve around games that don't exist, but since the point of AFTR was to pitch a new game, by default you had to explain what the game was and what it would be like. A lot of entries started with things like "We all know asymmetrical multiplayer/kart racers/whatever" and then put a twist on it. So immediately everyone can use their own experiences and think "Ah okay, so this is Evolve, but I'm a block of cheese instead of a monster", or "Ahh, it's The Witcher meets Diddy Kong Racing". PSO just didn't have anything to latch onto, it's goal was almost to be as obscure as possible. Combine that with limiting nature of a binary choice that Tsosie mentioned above, and there's not really much you can do that's relatable to a wide audience.

I don't think PSO is inherently flawed, but it either needed to be a much more involved segment with a better grounding for each made-up game, or use real games that do exist and impose bizarre techniques to beat it faster or more efficiently. Like, "In Bloodborne, should I use a foreign language to speed up text even though I won't be able to read what items I'm using, or play with two controllers and be my own co-op partner". (Not a great example, but I'm sure some clever patrons could come up with something funnier. The point is just that, at least this way, everyone can appreciate what's going on, rather than just being bemused by what feels like an inside joke you're not a part of.)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pro Strats games don't exist so there's nothing to talk about other than making up random game events. It's really hard for a random description of a non-existent game strategy to be funny. AFTR allows talking about actual things in unexpected ways, so there's something to relate to for the listeners.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pro Strats was great when it became self-referential about how widely it was disliked.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe pro strats only would work better if it was a nonsensical situation in an already existing game like "I'm stuck in dark souls 3, I can't figure out what to do with the banana. Pro strata only please."

That way the have some context to grasp onto while still having a lot of room for improv.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I guess it's the combined result of the plethora of Spoiler Modes and the exposition the new studio is giving them.

Top Ten Top Ten Numbers was legit amazing, from the well thought script, to the on point editing. Might be one of the best constructed videos they've ever put out.
Nah it probably was pro strats only. With them having a monopoly on pro strats it was def a big reasons for new people to come in.

mickdundee96

Nov 23, 2017
I just upped mine to 7. Someone on Twitter said they would up theirs to 20 if Kyle won a round of Tetris 99, i joined in and said I'd up mine aswell. When he won he put up a screencap of the Twitter thread 😂

Oct 26, 2017
About Pro Strats Only

It started as an improv game. But thing is, the panelists aren't improv comedians so the game fell flat. It was too directionless for them to do something interesting with it.

Kyle is a smart guy and immediately realized the same, it wouldn't work. (that was what I thought at the time, and CoJ confirmed it for us)

He is not the kind of person to just say "Ok, this didn't work. I need some time to think of something else". He craves for NARRATIVE. So he introduces a metabit just to have some fun with the concept while sunsetting it. It was a ironic metacommentary about how the segment sucks.

There are people that recognize what was done and just didn't like the approach. I personally thought it was funny just to hear Ian say "Yeah man..." after being asked if he knew the answer. And also I realized the segment would get the boot real soon so I didn't feel the need to say anything. It couldn't and wouldn't last forever, so why bother?

That's my take on the whole Pro Strats thing. It was probably a bit confusing for newcomers I'll give em that, but I never got why people who knew Kyle's work got so mad.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think Kyle is great at ideas, and has that stubborn character that let's him go all the way and try those ideas, both successes and failures. I think that's what makes him such a good host and media personality, because he is uncompromising in his values and decisions. The bit wasn't great, but we can't say it wasn't fully explored. It's part of the creative process.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Pro Stats was a a not-great bit that Kyle quickly realized wasn't working yet he managed to turn it around and use that to make it entertaining and funny as hell.

Bosman is the best.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
since they can't compete with Pro Strats Only, Por Favor, I'm hoping they bring back the Beastie Boys rap
Nah, it's another one like Recruit Me, except making the worst video game possible.

"Glinny's Cauldron - Our witch friend Glinny wants to create the most vile video game of all time and is trusting us to collect the ingredients. Each week I will present the panel with two vile video game ingredients, of which they must unanimously choose one. "

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Pro strats was an opportunity for improv but I think it didn't quite shine in the first ep and the consequent backlash was a little exaggerated.
Bosman's response seemed to be to end the bit, dragging it out as a joke.

I'm fine either way, but I found the basic concept of pro strats as good as "and for that reason"

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Media Molecule confirmed that if you get the Dreams early access version (digital only, limited quantities), you will be upgraded to the full release (digital) when it releases. I assume the full release will be $60. So, being able to get the game for $30 is a steal.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
That early podcast last week really spoiled me, it was so much better than having to wait until midnight :'(

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a casual viewer (only watch the podcasts and reviews) so I didn't know there were others out there who disliked Pro Strats Only as well. Even if it wasn't a bit I found it pretty dumb cause you can just google whatever you're stuck on. I just started skipping the first few minutes cause that segment is so boring, I thought people liked it since he still does it and all.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. While that's very cool, it worries me that people will jump on the discounted price when it's in Early Access (like the folks who follow Wario64 and jump on any good deal the moment he tweets it) and then not touch it until full release, taking away a slot from someone who may actually use it. I just want everyone who really wants to use (not just play) Dreams to get in on it. But dangling the carrot of "you'll get the full game for $30!" will make a lot of people with less interest grab the game regardless of whether they'll actually use it and make it harder for the actual Creators to get in on the fun.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They are crazy. It's a serious issue. I'm considering opening up my controller and trying to fix it myself.

It seems very common, but it doesn't affect all pro controllers. My launch day one is fine, recently bought a Splatoon 2 one and returned it because it was killing me in Tetris.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
What's up with Ian's struggle to find the words to say when making his videos? I've seen it a few times and I'm not sure if it's just him being nervous or some kind of shtick.

Example:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So, these videos are intentionally parodying poor quality instructional videos from a bygone era.
I guess it's just not my thing. Like, I get what the goal is but find the delivery to be uninspiring and a bit much. That's just me though, I just wasn't really sure if it was indeed a bit or not. If it works for some then more power to him.

Oct 25, 2017
Was Glinny a part of some old Final Bosman bonus bit? I have this image of a stuffed witch and a cauldron and Bosman interacting with it and I'm too lazy to look through old videos...

Status
Not open for further replies.