• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nooooo DMCV did the thing where if you press start it skips the cutscene instead of bring up an options menu.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
How has no one quoted Kyle's idea for an aimless horror game.

"A demon makes blood come out of its butt".

Oct 25, 2017
So an authoritarian regime like China passes laws to prevent criticism of their government, and Easy Allies' position is "can't feel bad for the people trying to criticise them and getting a backlash because that's the law over there." I kept thinking, "they are supporting an oppressive regime trying to silence dissent. This has to be a bit or a joke, right?"

That's not entirely the position or situation. The law prevents critique of the government. The game tried to critique the government. But it also wanted to critique the government and and attempted to be sold there in China itself.

You can find the governments law and position poor or outright awful, but also think that trying to sell a game in China, criticizing the Chinese government, when China has made that illegal, through a Chinese publisher, probably isn't the smartest business decision.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
That's not entirely the position or situation. The law prevents critique of the government. The game tried to critique the government. But it also wanted to critique the government and and attempted to be sold there in China itself.

You can find the governments law and position poor or outright awful, but also think that trying to sell a game in China, criticizing the Chinese government, when China has made that illegal, through a Chinese publisher, probably isn't the smartest business decision.

The Chinese should absolutely be allowed to criticize their government, even if it's against the law. People should also be allowed to distribute anti-authoritarian Chinese government messages to China. It's not really hard to say it shouldn't be this way.

Oct 25, 2017
The Chinese should absolutely be allowed to criticize their government, even if it's against the law. People should also be allowed to distribute anti-authoritarian Chinese government messages to China. It's not really hard to say it shouldn't be this way.

I mean, yes, absolutely. But that's a slightly different issue than what happened here. A Chinese publisher seemingly unwittingly published a game against Chinese law and presumably will suffer the consequences. How it should be doesn't change how it is right now.

Jords

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
Man my Saturday is so lonely without the podcast. Hopefully it's up when I get out of the movies.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
good on them going back to talk about the THQ Nordic mess again after dropping the ball last week

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
How has no one quoted Kyle's idea for an aimless horror game.

"A demon makes blood come out of its butt".

5Q9r4K.gif

q7Yrn0.gif

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I have mixed feelings on EA leaving. On one hand I dont care about 99% of the games EA releases. On the other hand it's making E3 feel even emptier. I imagine EA will have a star wars trailer in the Microsoft conference.

I do agree that Bethesda will bounce as well. As far as I know the only game they would have to show off is doom eternal.
I'd be pretty surprised if Star Wars showed up in Microsoft's conference since Sony's had everything Star Wars locked down for a while now. Even if they don't have a conference, that doesn't mean they won't spend a shitload marketing that game.

Going is one thing, feeling so sparce despite taking up so much room is another. Like, Spider-Man was really the only exclusive thing I recall there that had it's own large space, everything else was a long row of PSVR games, pillars, and some huge stage that, when I finally went to it, was empty. Like, I just feel like why even go if you have so little to offer. It just seems like Sony just didn't have a lot going for last year at E3 which is probably a issue bigger than E3 itself. I really hope everyone else can just fill all that space up to the max because it just felt like Sony was hogging real estate.
Not really, the sparseness of their booth last year was because the dramatic increase in attendee numbers meant they needed to dedicate a lot more space to foot traffic. In previous years they dedicated a shitload of room to indie and third party games that they just can't do any more.

Honestly, based on the complaints Shawn Layden laid out about E3, attending it just seems like a waste of time and money to me. Sony already have their own dedicated trade (Destination PlayStation) and public (PSX) events, not to mention all the proper public shows they attend (PAX, Gamescom, PGW, TGS, etc), so what's the point of spending tens of millions of dollars on a "one show fits all" mess like E3? 99% of us only care about the conference anyway and they can do that (or a Direct-like pre-recorded video) without attending it. Then there's the other stuff, like private preview showings and business meetings but they can do that stuff off-site. The only people who'd be affected by that kind of move would be the relatively tiny number of people who actually attend E3 and are willing to wait in lines all day just to play a couple of short demos.

Edit: Great follow ups this week, Kyle and the panel did such a better job handling both issues this time.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I love the monthly game release previews in Huber Syndrome. He really should do that ever month. It's just nice to have a recap of what's about to release and Huber is the best Ally to do that.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if E3 does "die" I think that having a steady stream of events throughout the year (which is what will replace E3) will be better for EZA anyway. Then you're not banking on the "E3 wave" to sustain at a certain retention rate to keep you above water at a certain level for a set amount of months. Plus they can just lean harder into original content now that they have a dedicated studio space.

Jones's face and reaction when Kyle is talking about that execs kid not understanding the game and having to change everything from the ground up because of it speaks to me on a spiritual level.

Last edited:

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Character models still look great as ever, especially the female ladies with the ample bounce physics." - Kyle Bosman

Last edited:

mickdundee96

Nov 23, 2017
Just watched the DMC5 interview and wanted to say that Ben is such a good, thoughtful interviewer. I think that's why I like Frame Trap so much. Shame it was only 30 mins long, would have been really interesting to hear more on Matts life in Japan and the inner workings at Capcom etc

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Just watched the DMC5 interview and wanted to say that Ben is such a good, thoughtful interviewer. I think that's why I like Frame Trap so much. Shame it was only 30 mins long, would have been really interesting to hear more on Matts life in Japan and the inner workings at Capcom etc
I agree. I am usually not a big fan of interviews as they usually make me feel uncomfortable for some reason, but I am glad I did try to watch this one instead of just skipping it altogether like I usually do. It was because Ben was the interviewer and because I enjoyed previous interviews by Ben that I gave it a shot and I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah got to agree about the interview, great questions by Ben and it was really refreshing to see how passionate Matt is about his work and colleagues. He really sounds like a guy who achieved his dream.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That trailer got me so pumped that I need to get the Shenmue 1 & 2 plats

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or Kyle seems way more bummed out that usual ? I don't listen to every podcast but he seems way less optimistic than before.

Oct 27, 2017
I know this has probably been asked a long time ago, but can people just play loud music in their apartments and there's nothing the other tenants can do about it?

For the most part yeah. From my experience as long as it's not super early or late at night then it's fine. I haven't had anybody that bad though. Usually it's just TV's really loud or somebody having a party. But hey, let them have fun.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
It is when you are published by a Chinese publisher that probably is partially owned by the Chinese gov.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Man, this week's podcast reminded me how much I miss the days before Ian would chime in regularly. Feels like he's been doing it a lot lately (or maybe I've just grown sensitive to it) and it's been dimming my enjoyment of them over time. I do like the dynamic when he's a panelist, but overall definitely prefer the format of only hearing from Bosman and the panel, no matter who that may include.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man, this week's podcast reminded me how much I miss the days before Ian would chime in regularly. Feels like he's been doing it a lot lately (or maybe I've just grown sensitive to it) and it's been dimming my enjoyment of them over time. I do like the dynamic when he's a panelist, but overall definitely prefer the format of only hearing from Bosman and the panel, no matter who that may include.

What, what's wrong with Ian?

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the opposite. The one are where things dragged in an otherwise great ep was having Damiani look up his own prove it ticket challenge instead of having Ian handing it all and keeping things moving smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.