• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
For that they should consider doing launch day group streams, to maximize the interest in a game.
I find your suggestion kinda dismissive and snarky, but in case it's not:

Based on what's been said in the past (and unless something has changed with people's schedules), launch day group streams aren't particularly possible -- unless the launch day is Tuesday (or maybe Friday).

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Based on what's been said in the past (and unless something has changed with people's schedules), launch day group streams aren't particularly possible -- unless the launch day is Tuesday (or maybe Friday).
How is it dismissive and snarky? I'm being serious.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Their Dev/Show swag has picked up lately

Castlevania Netflix show sent a poster signed by a ton of people for the spoiler mode
Capcom sent the RE2 Remake Japan posters
Capcom sent the DMC light

A while back Santa Monica sent them a number of GOW shirts

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 on the group stream today... aaaand that's another one I'll pass on. What happened to their creativity? They're always just playing new releases, no matter if the games fit the group stream format or not. It's been brought up on CoJ multiple times and Jones said that he wants to mix things up a bit again, yet nothing changes. See you at the next Hall of Greats, I guess...
Agreed. Been lackluster for a little while now

Dangle

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda want to echo the sentiment around group streams being in a weird spot. I completely understand if part of this is due to the studio move, heavy review season, vacations/unexpected travel. I still watch every week and love seeing the group together. But the emphasis on new games (often ones that don't translate as well to a group environment) hasn't been doing it for me lately.

Some more "special" streams (akin to Brazilian Genesis, E3 Trailer Hype Fest, Goodnight SWiit Prince, The Mole, Dreamcast Fancy Fifteen before it became a patreon show) and inspired old game picks thrown into the mix of new games would be an immediate improvement from my perspective. I feel like I've heard members of the Allies say "I would give anything for [insert Ally] to try [insert retro game]." countless times in Q&As or elsewhere. I think that could be something to start with.

Lastly, another aspect that's on my mind is how few streamed bet punishments there have been the past 6 months or so, which is no doubt due to them opting out of betting specials for TGS and TGA. This one would be trickier to find an easy solution for, but I did feel it was worth mentioning as many of those Year 1 bet streams like the diorama presentations, the brad concert, and kyle's second standup special among others were great early EZA highlights. Thankfully, tonight's Google GDC game stuff bet between Kyle and Jones is exactly what I'm getting at!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Their Dev/Show swag has picked up lately

Castlevania Netflix show sent a poster signed by a ton of people for the spoiler mode
Capcom sent the RE2 Remake Japan posters
Capcom sent the DMC light

A while back Santa Monica sent them a number of GOW shirts
Wow that sounds amazing I had no idea devs/publishers were sending them this kind of stuff. I don't usually follow their twitch group stream tho. Was all of this recent?

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Devil May Cry 5 on the group stream today... aaaand that's another one I'll pass on. What happened to their creativity? They're always just playing new releases, no matter if the games fit the group stream format or not. It's been brought up on CoJ multiple times and Jones said that he wants to mix things up a bit again, yet nothing changes. See you at the next Hall of Greats, I guess...

They streamed DMC5? Well, I was feeling bad that I missed the group stream but it seems I didn't miss anything.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was a fun stream. I appreciated the rating things aspect to get everyone more involved, and we got our first real bet with stakes in what feels like forever.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

agree. don't really see what's interesting about a group of people sitting around and watching someone play a game.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to give one more vote to the stream picks being kinda boring sometimes. I just don't feel like watching this one at all and have noticed I've been skipping these more lately. The tournament streams were my favorite ones as well, so it's a bit of a bummer. Would really enjoy to see them trying older games for tournaments if there's not a new game that fits the format.

I understand why they're doing new releases, but yeah, just no interest in seeing a lot of people watching someone play DMC.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I love full single-player playthrough stream, but on a more intimate scale like Huber and Kyle do with horror games, where they dive deep. In a larger group it gets a bit boring, because it's too messy, you lose track of whats going on in the game - and for that I prefer games they can all play.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Just want to give one more vote to the stream picks being kinda boring sometimes. I just don't feel like watching this one at all and have noticed I've been skipping these more lately. The tournament streams were my favorite ones as well, so it's a bit of a bummer. Would really enjoy to see them trying older games for tournaments if there's not a new game that fits the format.

I understand why they're doing new releases, but yeah, just no interest in seeing a lot of people watching someone play DMC.
I dunno, maybe try watching first. It was a really fun night. Just watching the Japanese pre-vis stuff together was worth it. I get that people want some more creative stuff from time to time, but a lot of that energy has been put elsewhere lately, and I can't see any scenario where we would have skipped something as hype and bonkers as DMC5.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, maybe try watching first. It was a really fun night. Just watching the Japanese pre-vis stuff together was worth it. I get that people want some more creative stuff from time to time, but a lot of that energy has been put elsewhere lately, and I can't see any scenario where we would have skipped something as hype and bonkers as DMC5.
Well, it's mostly because I tried a few other streams like this and didn't get into them so much. Don't get me wrong, you all do a lot of great streams and I already have a hard time catching up with everything! Just didn't feel much about the latest new release ones, but it's good to know that you guys wanted to do this one and had fun with it. Just miss the tournaments and stuff more "gimmicky" for the group stream, but didn't mean to sound as rude/dismissive as my post sounded now re-reading it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't seen it mentioned here, but they said at the end of the group stream that they're doing the Google thing next week.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Haven't watched a full group stream in a while. Girlfriend who is a patreon also brought it up.
Where are the multiple controllers?
Tournaments?

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
They should stop starting new saves everytime they start a single player game. Who wants to watch the boring tutorial + starting enemies.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
People pick the weirdest times to complain about things. I mean, it's so plainly obvious that they have been focused on things for their 3rd anniversary at the end of the month, Brandon has teased things coming for the community, not to mention that multiple Allies have been tied up with reviews, as well as Brad being on vacation for a chunk of the month and Ian having to leave for personal reasons...and on top of that within the last 30 days we've gotten both an Allies launch night stream of Anthem AND a mini-group stream of The Ghost Survivors.

Not every group stream is going to appeal to everyone, but come on, haha. To pick this month as the example as why they need to switch things up with their streams is kinda nuts, IMO.

Anyone know when exactly Kyle and Jones made that Google bet?

Maybe if you just watched the stream you'd know (kidding, kidding, it's towards the end. Like right after the unboxing).

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
DMCV is the best game of the year so far, and I feel the allies besides Ben were kinda sleeping on it, so I'm glad they did it for the stream.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

In the US at least, pretty much every single AAA game comes out on a Tuesday or Friday, so that shouldn't be a problem. I think they've group streamed a good number of new games on release day, for the record.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like group stream night should be multiplayer and full playthrough friday should be single player

Oct 25, 2017
The DMC5 stream was ultimately more fun than I expected, but I still can't shake the disappointment that that was the ONE group stream we'll get this week. I dunno. I think now that the "let's get the gang back together" vibe of the garage is gone, the group streams are starting to feel a bit perfunctory, especially when they're just "The Gang Plays the Flavor of the Week." I don't demand a creative stream every week. We know that burns you out. And I appreciate the creativity that is applied to these kinds of streams, but I still long to see a group stream game pop up on the schedule that gets me excited. Like seeing Pokemon Snap show up and going "oh, well that's something I HAVE to see."

Like Kyle has said re: stories he engages with - make me curious about what's going to happen next. Frankly, I was simply not curious to see more DMC5. It ended up being fine, and maybe I just need to trust the Allies more, but if I'm not drawn to tune in other than this sense of "well, it's 6pm on Tuesday," then there's something askew.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
The DMC5 stream was ultimately more fun than I expected, but I still can't shake the disappointment that that was the ONE group stream we'll get this week. I dunno. I think now that the "let's get the gang back together" vibe of the garage is gone, the group streams are starting to feel a bit perfunctory, especially when they're just "The Gang Plays the Flavor of the Week." I don't demand a creative stream every week. We know that burns you out. And I appreciate the creativity that is applied to these kinds of streams, but I still long to see a group stream game pop up on the schedule that gets me excited. Like seeing Pokemon Snap show up and going "oh, well that's something I HAVE to see."

Do you realize how subjective this is? It is impossible to cater to an audience this way. Even if DMC5 is not for you (it isn't for me either), I would be willing to bet someone out there was saying "Yes! Can't wait to see Ben banter about the bosses in this game, or get Kyle's reaction to Dante's costumes." There will come a time when they move back to older games, but Q1 has been such a hotbed of major releases, almost all of which were highly anticipated by the Allies themselves. First and foremost, beyond their commitment to entertain the audience, they have to do something they're passionate about. If they are excited about the game they are playing, it will translate through to the audience. Just stay tuned for what's coming in the next week or so and I suspect a lot of the charm of the Allies will be on full display.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying the group streams and don't really have a problem with the selection of games. However, it does suck that most of them tend to be from early bits of the game where everything is limited and it's not the best bits for a group setting.

For DMC5, I would've preferred a V section in there, but it was an enjoyable stream none the less.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you realize how subjective this is? It is impossible to cater to an audience this way. Even if DMC5 is not for you (it isn't for me either), I would be willing to bet someone out there was saying "Yes! Can't wait to see Ben banter about the bosses in this game, or get Kyle's reaction to Dante's costumes." There will come a time when they move back to older games, but Q1 has been such a hotbed of major releases, almost all of which were highly anticipated by the Allies themselves. First and foremost, beyond their commitment to entertain the audience, they have to do something they're passionate about. If they are excited about the game they are playing, it will translate through to the audience. Just stay tuned for what's coming in the next week or so and I suspect a lot of the charm of the Allies will be on full display.
Oh I know it's totally subjective. I didn't mean to apply it to everyone here. It's just been my thoughts as we've been talking about the Group Streams. I think the main problem for me is that in the past, regardless of "hype," the streams end up becoming too meme-driven, completely unrelated to the game. This isn't always the case, obviously, but it happens a lot and it can be a bit frustrating. Especially if you don't watch the whole thing and you miss the gag, so you pop in and everyone is having a great time related to a new meme and you're like "I do not understand what's happening."

I have to imagine it's in their best interest to try and highlight the big releases and maybe they do think a group stream is the best place for that, but I would disagree. If they continue to add a little twist to these types of single-player streams, I might be more interested. But I just think it's more fun for me for the streams to not be just "let's play the new release and joke about things."

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Blood was on absolute fire again. Folks, we've seen the Year of Luigi, but let me tell you...this is the Year of Blood.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I was just typing an message about where TTE was when they posted on patreon about the new episode.
I wasn't sure why it was later then normal, but I already figured it was going to be a special episode because Ian isn't in LA at the moment (I suspected that was the reason for the delay as well).

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It truly pains me that I couldn't get my friends to get on-board with Fantasy Critic. I am ashamed of my words & deeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.