• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I knew what the top4 were and in what position they would put them, the only doubt for number 1 was if they were to choose that or the sequel

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
We did avoid any crossover games, for one because if I try to capture them, the Game Boy Player automatically picks the GBC option.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
I question if any of my favorite GB games will make this list... Kid Dracula is probably the best game on the console (it is the best version of that game), but I feel like this list isn't going to have a lot of deep cuts (most people are pretty oblivious of the best games on the console). We will see... I will happily eat crow if I am wrong.

*edit*
It was far worse than I could have possibly imagined. That is the basic bitch's guide to the Game Boy library. At least they managed to include the obligatory classics, even if they missed most of the best games on the console.
Would honestly love to get your recommendations. I dunno why, but I have a lot of fun recording and streaming Game Boy stuff.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would honestly love to get your recommendations. I dunno why, but I have a lot of fun recording and streaming Game Boy stuff.

Won't be able to stream it, but I wanted to call out the F1-RACE game specifically to you Blood. It's not amazing, but I had the 4 player link cable adaptor and we had a few races at school and it was an amazing experience at the time.

For a single player game, a personal one is Hammerin' Harry:Ghost Building Company. I need to see how it holds up, but I loved that game as a kid.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Won't be able to stream it, but I wanted to call out the F1-RACE game specifically to you Blood. It's not amazing, but I had the 4 player link cable adaptor and we had a few races at school and it was an amazing experience at the time.
I own that one as well and while it wasn't super deep and I wasn't really good at it as a kid, I did enjoy it.
I did never play it as multiplayer, but I knew it was possible.

The ones I have played the most are probably:
Tetris, Link's Awakening and one of my sports games (probably NBA Jam Tournament Edition).
But I did play a lot of the Mario ones, Donkey Kong Land 2 and Donkey Kong 94 as well (which I didn't like at first, but that's a really good and challenging game).

I didn't own a regular console back in the day (until the PSX days), so I played a lot on my OG Game Boy (and later Game Boy Pocket).

If you haven't played Donkey Kong (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(Game_Boy)) aka Donkey Kong 94 before, you can give that one a chance.

I would call it a puzzle/platformer, which gets crazier/complexer as each level goes on. I don't know if it's going to be for everybody, but I have seen the Angry Video Game Nerd play it for the first time last year on a youtube video and he did seem to like it. I almost hated it at first because I came of Donkey Kong Land 2 and I didn't know this game was so different back in the day (I bought it without any research as not a lot of people had internet when I bought it), but I really enjoyed it once I got used to what it was.

I don't think I ever beat it as it get's hard (at least from what I can remember).
Just re-bought the game on Virtual Console on 3DS. Just thinking about it made me want to play it again and I am too lazy to search my Game Boy and cartridge.

Edit: I haven't watched the list yet, so maybe it's on there. Will watch it right now.

Edit 2: So, I should have watched the video first I guess ;).
That said, it's still worth playing for everybody who never played it before.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely. So, as mentioned in my previous post, I think Kid Dracula is an absolute gem. It is a great platformer that sorta acts as a cross between Mega Man and Castlevania (which it is a part of). Speaking of Mega Man... most of the Mega Man games are sorta remixes on the Gameboy (most of them are enjoyable in their own right). However, Mega Man V on the gameboy is its own thing. Complete with unique Robot Masters. It is absolutely worth taking a gander if you enjoy Mega Man games, as many people have never given it a go. The Red Arremer games (known as Gargoyle's Quest in NA) are really, really good, too. They have a fantastic "gliding" mechanic in the platformer sections. They also include some RPG elements (like a world map). The Return of the Joker is also really fun. If you played the Batman game on the NES you will know exactly what you are getting into. It is super good. While I enjoy all the TMNT games on the gameboy you HAVE to check out TMNT 3: Radical Rescue. It is a TMNT metroidvania on the gameboy! Oh, and I have to mention Final Fantasy Legends 2 (it is actually a Saga game). I haven't played it in a while, but it was one of my favorite RPGs growing up. It has excellent music (I know you love your game music) and you get a LOT of control over your party.

For a single player game, a personal one is Hammerin' Harry:Ghost Building Company. I need to see how it holds up, but I loved that game as a kid.

Hammerin' Harry:Ghost Building Company is a game I played as an adult and it really impressed me. It is a genuinely beautiful game. Like Kid Dracula it has those giant sprites. It is a good time.

I haven't played F1-Race since I was a kid, but I know I really enjoyed it. I question if it would hold up. Similarly, one of my favorite games was the GB version of Skate or Die, but it is another game I haven't played in a long time and I think it may be a little on the rough side.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait spman2099 , is FF:Legend 2 a lot better than 1? Again, I was a kid so it could be just me not getting it, but I remember picking a robot class a different then being very confused aha

I have a vague memory of loving a TMNT game as a kid, so it may have been 3. Need to check that as well. Might have been one of the others and terrible though, I was such a TMNT fanboy I played a lot of the Tiger handheld TMNT2: Turtles Talk

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Wait spman2099 , is FF:Legend 2 a lot better than 1? Again, I was a kid so it could be just me not getting it, but I remember picking a robot class a different then being very confused aha

I liked it better. I think, primarily, because I like the story more. Legend 2 doesn't allow you to change your main character's race, but you CAN choose to have a robot friend. Your party is completely selectable at the beginning of the game (with the exception of the protagonist), a lot like the original Final Fantasy (but with crazier options).

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
My initial reaction was full of "why isn't x on here?", but on closer inspection, many of 'em were Gameboy Colour. Still, my list would probably have Gargoyle's Quest, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Kid Dracula, and Mole Mania on it. Since two of those weren't released in English, I can't fault their absence though.

The Red Arremer games (known as Gargoyle's Quest in NA) are really, really good, too. They have a fantastic "gliding" mechanic in the platformer sections. They also include some RPG elements (like a world map).
My man.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
My initial reaction was full of "why isn't x on here?", but on closer inspection, many of 'em were Gameboy Colour. Still, my list would probably have Gargoyle's Quest, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Kid Dracula, and Mole Mania on it. Since two of those weren't released in English, I can't fault their absence though.

My man.

Honestly, I feel a kick of dopamine whenever I run into other people who are down with the Red Arremer games. They are crazy underrated. Cave Noire is also a great pick for games not released in NA. It is Japanese, but VERY easy to get through without having any Japanese ability. Definitely worth checking out.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just a poor student who gives a dollar a month to the Allies so i don't really wanna complain, but the podcast is late... :/

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Wasn't there something about an error in the podcast date this week (in the title)?

I haven't seen it myself (and it looks correct at the moment). I also don't know how they usually release it for the public (if they do it manually or by date), but maybe they set the release date wrong on the youtube page as well?

I guess 5-dollar and up patrons can post the link, but I'm a bit hesitant in doing so.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gameboy list was really good. I associate Kyle the most with Gameboy so I was surprised by Wario lol

I also like Land 1 way more than 2, but I understand why that's a rare opinion. 2 runs so bad on a Gameboy.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we allowed to ask where Ian has been? I'm guessing he's left for personal reasons, and obviously him being gone this long means it was something incredibly serious. Checked the last 7 pages and didn't see anything. If we're leaving it alone for his privacy, then I'll leave it alone. Hope everything is well.

Oct 26, 2017
Are we allowed to ask where Ian has been? I'm guessing he's left for personal reasons, and obviously him being gone this long means it was something incredibly serious. Checked the last 7 pages and didn't see anything. If we're leaving it alone for his privacy, then I'll leave it alone. Hope everything is well.

My guess is that if it was something he was willing to tell we'd know by now.

All we know is that "life is being complicated"

anything beside that is pure speculation

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with the news about bomberman 10 players HD, i think it would be awesome to have a 10 players stream of the bomberman saturn, idk if its possible though

Dangle

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. So, as mentioned in my previous post, I think Kid Dracula is an absolute gem. It is a great platformer that sorta acts as a cross between Mega Man and Castlevania (which it is a part of). Speaking of Mega Man... most of the Mega Man games are sorta remixes on the Gameboy (most of them are enjoyable in their own right). However, Mega Man V on the gameboy is its own thing. Complete with unique Robot Masters. It is absolutely worth taking a gander if you enjoy Mega Man games, as many people have never given it a go. The Red Arremer games (known as Gargoyle's Quest in NA) are really, really good, too. They have a fantastic "gliding" mechanic in the platformer sections. They also include some RPG elements (like a world map). The Return of the Joker is also really fun. If you played the Batman game on the NES you will know exactly what you are getting into. It is super good. While I enjoy all the TMNT games on the gameboy you HAVE to check out TMNT 3: Radical Rescue. It is a TMNT metroidvania on the gameboy! Oh, and I have to mention Final Fantasy Legends 2 (it is actually a Saga game). I haven't played it in a while, but it was one of my favorite RPGs growing up. It has excellent music (I know you love your game music) and you get a LOT of control over your party.

Hammerin' Harry:Ghost Building Company is a game I played as an adult and it really impressed me. It is a genuinely beautiful game. Like Kid Dracula it has those giant sprites. It is a good time.

I haven't played F1-Race since I was a kid, but I know I really enjoyed it. I question if it would hold up. Similarly, one of my favorite games was the GB version of Skate or Die, but it is another game I haven't played in a long time and I think it may be a little on the rough side.

As someone with extremely little familiarity with the Game Boy's library, I really appreciate this and those from others calling out GB favorites.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
On the topic of the top ten, I'm happy with the thought that #1 at least partly extends to the sequel, because it's probably one of the best sequels of all time.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The Game Boy top ten reminded me of Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, which I have fond memories of despite remembering absolutely nothing about if it was any good or not. But it had a multi-screen boss fight on a handheld which impressed my young self very much. So the game was responsible for me marking out for Pit's Smash debut and for picking up Uprising. The latter alone qualifies it for a top 5 spot in my mind.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
As I'm watching the new season of queer eye I realized that it's basically "love and respect" the TV show. It's a very heartwarming show that I would recomend to everyone. Just be prepared to cry.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
If we're requesting more clips to submit if someone could grab the part of the Dragonslayer Fiasco when Jone's character slaps the person knocking on her door I would owe you one (1) werehog.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
with the news about bomberman 10 players HD, i think it would be awesome to have a 10 players stream of the bomberman saturn, idk if its possible though

That game is far better and prettier when played with 8 players. 10 player mode was cool but always felt more like a gimmick than the real meat of the game.

Also, maybe this has been covered, but I feel like they're going to have to re-evaluate their stance on discussing THQ Nordic stuff for a while. I didn't have very strong feelings about it before, but I don't know how it can be discussed without being controversial now.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, listening to the last Frame Trap and then this new episode on nice headphones, there is a big difference in the sound with those new sound dampeners. I never realized because I almost always use speakers, but that is very good.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Frame Trap definitely sounding great. The echo never bothered me much, but I found it most noticeable from the "Jones and Kyle" positions whenever shooting, so in this case, Ben on the end of the desk sounds much, much better.

Ian...again, what more can be said. The Studio MVP (TM)

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The Knack 2 full playthrough went back up at the perfect time for us to organize a campaign with the sole goal to make the clip show just be 1-minute snippets of the Knack 2 group stream from beginning to end. Make the Allies relive it a second time. It's the perfect anniversary gift.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
So i just watched the DF retro on killzone 2, the person who made it said they started it on thursday morning. How is he knocking out a video this well done in a few days when it's taking EZA a year to make a retro? I don't mean this in a snarky way, i'm just not getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.