• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just wanted to chime in on this topic in regards to the Google press conference since I know Blood and the other guys tend to read what we have to say here. I wanted to let you all know I truly appreciate all of your passion and honesty when it comes to discussing video games and the industry. It's why I'm personally drawn to watching eza since all of you care enough about this hobby as much as I do. I've stopped watching a lot of other podcasts and gaming media because they seem so damn disingenuous at times. There are many instances where other media outlets try to sugar coat everything as if they're getting paid by the very companies themselves. It got to the point years ago that I started only reading forums instead of consuming that corporate machine.

Then eza came along and while I was familiar with many of you from gametrailers, I soon learned that every single member was the type of guy I can count on to give their full honest opinion. That said, you all hit the nail on the head in regards to that Google conference. Took the words right out of my mouth and ANYBODY you gave you guys flak for it has to thin of skin. Don't ever change eza because it's why I continue to watch you do your thing. Thanks for being honest. Don't worry about upsetting anyone for expressing your feelings because for every one of them, there's one of me that cheers you on.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
The Allies reaction to the Google conference was the exact same as mine, perfect response imo. Sad that Jones even needed to tweet an apology.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the bonus dancing at the end of the stream today, lol.

I can't believe there are Google fanboys (well in reality I guess I can....), Google has stopped following their old mantra of don't be evil like 5-10 years ago or so... Only reason I use Android is I hate how much Apple locks down their phones and jailbreaking can't be relied upon. I use google search because other search engines suck but I don't pretend that Google isn't spying on everything to try to market it, and I hate that whenever they try a new product they often half-ass it and then jettison it a year later (or sometimes months) when it didn't meet sales expectations.

EZA should be themselves and not try for fake reactions or walk on eggshells because they don't want to upset fanboys.

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing about that Google conference that should be apologised for is Jones' attempt at a British accent.

My accent is not your punchline.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
UnlawfulRecentConey-max-1mb.gif

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I use google search because other search engines suck but I don't pretend that Google isn't spying on everything to try to market it.
I haven't used Google Search for a couple of years now (I use duckduckgo, but have used others as well) and I don't feel like I am missing anything (btw not because I hate Google, I have been using Android phones for years and I am happy with them and I prefer their openness over the restrictions Apple has). Just as a tip: there are search engines like searx.me (https://searx.me/) which you can configure to only use Google Search (it uses a couple of search engines by default, but you can add a lot of others (or remove them)), but it doesn't send on your IP address and other spying related stuff.

I am not saying anyone should change (I don't mind that people use Google search at all, I started using it from the end of the 90s or early 2000s before it became insanely popular, when altavista was still the go to search engine), but if the spying thing is something you do care about and you still want the Google results (which are obviously quite good compared to a lot of other search engines), you can always give that one a shot.

Edit: I believe startpage.com also uses Google results and they protect your privacy as well.

Last edited:

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
They were exactly as cynical as that reveal deserved. The corporate apologists who demand everyone likes the same thing they do shouldn't be allowed to control the conversation.

Weird nitpick on the gameshow - Great content, but for the love of god, someone teach Huber how to button a suit jacket. Bottom button only is insanity.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Their reactions just toId me they have no business being based in California if their internet sucks that bad. They should just move to a bigger city in the Midwest where the internet isn't so ass you can't watch a video without it buffering every few seconds.

I was like, "Fuck, are the Allies actually in the past and I'm just watching a rerun or something? "

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Their reactions just toId me they have no business being based in California if their internet sucks that bad. They should just move to a bigger city in the Midwest where the internet isn't so ass you can't watch a video without it buffering every few seconds.

I was like, "Fuck, are the Allies actually in the past and I'm just watching a rerun or something? "

This...this is a joke right? Haha good one.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
ian And Huber should do a q+a stream of mysterious monsters like Bosman did for box peek. Would be good to see inside the process

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Just saying. That patreon dough would go a lot further in Indianapolis. I also haven't had a video buffer in about a decade. Game Informer has the right idea being based out in the middle of nowhere.
The majority of people in the world don't have grade A internet. Them saying that they will have billions of gamers is somewhat misguided if there aren't billions of people with super good internet. I have decent internet (I believe it's 100/35 without any caps) and I suspect it would work ok, but I don't see why I would want this over having my dedicated console. It will never look as good as a native console on the same resolution (because of stream artifacts) and I don't care how good the latency is, it won't be better than a native console either.

It's a good idea, but it's a pipedream that this thing will work at this time in 4k for anyone but a handful of people if you look at it globally.
720p, sure. 1080p possibly, but they will need a decent upload speed/latency as well for responsive controls. I am sure it will work well in a controlled environment or if you can get+pay for very good internet, but a lot of places in the world (including the US as far as I understand it), don't have that luxury.

Saying that people need to move to be able to use that thing is ridiculous. If Google didn't realise that the majority of people in the world don't have good enough internet to stream games in decent quality, they didn't do their job correctly. They said themselves something like: We don't believe people have to adapt to technology, but technology has to adapt to people.

People having to move to make this technology work isn't them adapting to people, it's completely the opposite of what they were saying.

I suspect it's a bit early for this. Let's hope it will be decent enough quality for the majority of people so people don't burn out of streaming games because I do believe this can be the future for less demanding people. I do believe that Xbox's idea is good and (depending how they implement payment) Google's idea can work for people who casually want to play a game. But thinking that you will get ultimate quality for billions of people at the end of the year is somewhat optimistic.

I do believe it can be part of the future. I do believe it can be successful in the end and Google won't get burned trying this (as long as they keep it online long enough for people to use it), but at the moment it will only be viable with a decent resolution/quality for the happy few.

Last edited:

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I like Damiani, but they need to tie his hands to the desk so he stops talking into them during the shows/podcast.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The majority of people in the world don't have grade A internet. Them saying that they will have billions of gamers is somewhat misguided if there aren't billions of people with super good internet. I have decent internet (I believe it's 100/35 without any caps) and I suspect it would work ok, but I don't see why I would want this over having my dedicated console. It will never look as good as a native console on the same resolution (because of stream artifacts) and I don't care how good the latency is, it won't be better than a native console either.

It's a good idea, but it's a pipedream that this thing will work at this time in 4k for anyone but a handful of people if you look at it globally.
720p, sure. 1080p possibly, but they will need a decent upload speed/latency as well for responsive controls. I am sure it will work well in a controlled environment or if you can get+pay for very good internet, but a lot of places in the world (including the US as far as I understand it), don't have that luxury.

Saying that people need to move to be able to use that thing is ridiculous. If Google didn't realise that the majority of people in the world don't have good enough internet to stream games in decent quality, they didn't do their job correctly. They said themselves something like: We don't believe people have to adapt to technology, but technology has to adapt to people.

People having to move to make this technology work isn't them adapting to people, it's completely the opposite of what they were saying.

I suspect it's a bit early for this. Let's hope it will be decent enough quality for the majority of people so people don't burn out of streaming games because I do believe this can be the future for less demanding people. I do believe that Xbox's idea is good and (depending how they implement payment) Google's idea can work for people who casually want to play a game. But thinking that you will get ultimate quality for billions of people at the end of the year is somewhat optimistic.

I do believe it can be part of the future. I do believe it can be successful in the end and Google won't get burned trying this (as long as they keep it online long enough for people to use it), but at the moment it will only be viable with a decent resolution/quality for the happy few.

Straight from the horses mouth:

• What internet speed do you need to run Stadia? "We were able to test a lot of this with our Project Stream test late last year, starting back in October. To get 1080p, 60 frames per second, required approximately 25 megabits per second. In fact, we use less than that, but that's where we put our recommended limit at. But with innovations that we've made on the streamer side and on the compression side since then, when we launch, we will be able to get to 4K but only raise that bandwidth to about 30 megabits per second. So if you have less bandwidth, we'll give you a lower resolution… We do a lot of that for you in the background, and we will only offer up the appropriate bandwidth for the infrastructure that you have."
https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-boss-answers-and-dodges-our-questions-1833422137/amp

I dont know how many people in the world have 25 mbps internet but I imagine it's a very large number.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I want to just throw in my opinion and say that the Google thing was garbo & watching the Allies react to it was the one thing that made it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, people wanted an apology for the Stadia coverage? The conference was terrible, and I was extremely disappointed. I'm sure I'll try Stadia down the line and it might be amazing, but they didn't sell it well for a first showing. People have to accept that the Allies aren't going to always be in line with your views, positive OR negative, nor would I ever want them to be. For example, I don't particularly love Resident Evil, but I can't help but love their reactions to the Resident Evil 7 and RE2 remake reveals at E3.

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
If you want to focus on a presentation, you don't watch a stream of people watching and commenting on it, it's as simple as that.

Ridiculous they were put in the position of having to apologise for them doing what people pay them to do - comment on the games industry.

If they were lying or being rude I could understand but everything they said was fair and explained well.

thankyou.gif

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
Loved the bonus dancing at the end of the stream today, lol.

I can't believe there are Google fanboys (well in reality I guess I can....), Google has stopped following their old mantra of don't be evil like 5-10 years ago or so... Only reason I use Android is I hate how much Apple locks down their phones and jailbreaking can't be relied upon. I use google search because other search engines suck but I don't pretend that Google isn't spying on everything to try to market it, and I hate that whenever they try a new product they often half-ass it and then jettison it a year later (or sometimes months) when it didn't meet sales expectations.

EZA should be themselves and not try for fake reactions or walk on eggshells because they don't want to upset fanboys.

The Allies reaction to the Google conference was the exact same as mine. (2)

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
I'm just livin' in the era bubble i guess

I was criticizing the conference and the product, even more than the Easy Allies in a Brazilian gaming forum. I was cursed, treated like crazy,they said that i was having mental problems behind a keyboard. They said I should not have a family, among other things. It was shocking, but it was also good to confirm how the movie Matrix remains one of the best of all time.

For sure Googlers are toxic like Applefans.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Was anybody actually asking for or demanding an apology? Some people didn't like the vibes and they expressed as much, it doesn't have to be a 3 page long discussion/argument. Literally no one (at least here or in the eza era discord) thinks its wrong to say bad things about Google or Stadia.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Straight from the horses mouth:

• What internet speed do you need to run Stadia? "We were able to test a lot of this with our Project Stream test late last year, starting back in October. To get 1080p, 60 frames per second, required approximately 25 megabits per second. In fact, we use less than that, but that's where we put our recommended limit at. But with innovations that we've made on the streamer side and on the compression side since then, when we launch, we will be able to get to 4K but only raise that bandwidth to about 30 megabits per second. So if you have less bandwidth, we'll give you a lower resolution… We do a lot of that for you in the background, and we will only offer up the appropriate bandwidth for the infrastructure that you have."
https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-boss-answers-and-dodges-our-questions-1833422137/amp

I dont know how many people in the world have 25 mbps internet but I imagine it's a very large number.
I think you extremely overestimate the internet speeds of most countries/places in the world (and how wealthy the majority of people in the world are). A lot of people in richer countries will probably have those internet speeds. Others, not so much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

Those are average speeds. Most countries don't even hit 25 Mbps on average. Hell, the US barely gets 25 Mbps.
Like I said before. Those speeds are for the happy few, if you have enough money to pay for the connection and if you can get that kind of internet connection where you live.

Again, I do believe it will work when it launches. But not for the billions of people they are claiming.

A lot also depends on who else is using that internet connection and how well the internet provider handles the overbooking of the connections if applicable (for cable for example). Otherwise you can get slowdown on busy moments.

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I live in a major city with lots of fiber, but it doesn't come to my flat yet. I'm stuck with a maximum 6mbps so this future is not for me yet. I'm all for it though, can't wait to be able to play instantly, ownership is a non-issue for me.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think you extremely overestimate the internet speeds of most countries/places in the world (and how wealthy the majority of people in the world is). A lot of people in richer countries will probably have those internet speeds. Others, not so much.

Those are average speeds. Most countries don't even hit 25 Mbps on average. Hell, the US barely gets 25 Mbps.
Like I said before. Those speeds are for the happy few, if you have enough money to pay for the connection and if you can get that kind of internet connection where you live.

Again, I do believe it will work when it launches. But not for the billions of people they are claiming.

A lot also depends on who else is using that internet connection and how well the internet provider handles the overbooking of the connections if applicable (for cable for example). Otherwise you can get slowdown on busy moments.

Yeah, considering where they're launching, the US has an average of 25.86mbit, Canada 19.48 and UK 18.57.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Was anybody actually asking for or demanding an apology? Some people didn't like the vibes and they expressed as much, it doesn't have to be a 3 page long discussion/argument. Literally no one (at least here or in the eza era discord) thinks its wrong to say bad things about Google or Stadia.

I looked in this thread, on twitter, the subreddit and the comments on the YouTube video and I couldnt find a single person saying they should apologize.

That's outrage culture though. People literally inventing boogeymen to be mad at. Yet it's the Google fanboys we need to watch out for *eyeroll*

I think you extremely overestimate the internet speeds of most countries/places in the world (and how wealthy the majority of people in the world is). A lot of people in richer countries will probably have those internet speeds. Others, not so much.

I agree that's it's very unlikely there are 2 billion plus people in the world with 25 mbps internet but in the #future who knows what's going to happen lol.

Solobbos

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
I think you extremely overestimate the internet speeds of most countries/places in the world (and how wealthy the majority of people in the world are). A lot of people in richer countries will probably have those internet speeds. Others, not so much.

My internet speed jumped from 100 to 350 Mbps this year. It costs 9,90€ (~11$) per month. This is offered to everyone in our apartment house. That data is not very current. Still, I think the lag will fuck up the whole idea.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
My internet speed jumped from 100 to 350 Mbps this year. It costs 9,90€ (~11$) per month. This is offered to everyone in our apartment house. That data is not very current. Still, I think the lag will fuck up the whole idea.
I know it isn't the most current data, but I can assure you that there are a lot of people who don't have the money to pay for the fastest kind of internet.

It also depends on the country/place you live in. To get 200+ Mbps (or 100 for DSL) internet we have to pay +- 100 euro as it's coupled with TV and other stuff and because we have a duo-poly and nobody does anything about it (one providers owns Cable and one owns DSL and while they have to let others use their network, they charge heavily for it). My provider is a smaller provider with a good price and I think we pay about 40 euro for 100/35. From what I have heard, there is no way you can get those speeds for even 15$ in the US.

Fiber isn't available in most places and is about 40 to 60 euro (probably more for one of the 2 duo-polists) the last time I checked with worse upload speeds than I have now.

You are very lucky for those speeds for that price. I can assure you that there aren't a lot of places in the world where you can get that.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Download speed is one problem, but the thing I worry about (or would worry about if I was a believer in cloud gaming) is jitter.

It's an issue on the lan side, since wifi connections are terrible for real time performance -- at least with current standards -- and you have to pay a constant time ping penalty unless the server is on your local network (so something like steam link should reliably perform better, all things equal).

And it's an issue on the Wan side, since isps don't like to talk about latency and jitter stats (and therefore you get saddled with flaky Internet, particularly if it's not a business line), just theoretical max throughput. 500 mbps != 500 mbps, because that's only one of the parameters.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
After Mysterious Monsters, I'm gettin the itches for a studio quality betting special.

I found it hilarious and I'm English too.
I didn't even realize the guy had an accent until Jones did an impression, weird lol kind of like how you're used to hearing an American accent on TV and movies but when you hear one IRL its like "WHUT IS THAT"

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I never understood why Sony has treated Ape escape so poorly. Never on psn in the states. 2 has weird versions. It's odd

And I agree with Kyle. The first game is amazing and my favorite in the franchise
That's indeed strange. I quickly checked the Belgian PSN store and there is Ape Escape 1 on PS3 and on PSP and Ape Escape 2 on PS4 (it's probably one of those PS2 -> PS4 titles), which is on sale for 4 euro apparently.

I personally never played Ape Escape, but I do remember reading about the games back in the day. It's weird that Sony doesn't release them in the US for some reason. Maybe a license problem?

That said, there are plenty of US PSN games that are not on the European PSN store. Especially older PS1 and PS2 games. It also took ages for Suikoden to be released on the European PSN even though the US Store had them for years.

It's weird how the PSN store is so different between the US and Europe. My sister was also looking forward to the release of a Visual Novel, but it turns out it released in June 2018 on the US PSN store and it never did in Europe for some reason. It's slated for the Switch in Japan in a couple of months, so I hope for her it will be released on Switch in Europe as well.

Even in Europe there are differences as titles that don't get translated on the store don't show up in translated stores (like the Belgian one). You have games that are released in only part of Europe, just because the dev didn't know they need to translate the store info to each language or it won't show. Sony doesn't warn them about it and I have contacted 2 devs in the past with a translation to be able to download the game (the dev of Actual Sunlight, a good, short (but depressing) Vita game (it's on Steam as well apparently) and the dev of The World of Nubla, a mediocre puzzle platformer with an easy Platinum trophy, the second Nubla game didn't release on the Belgian store either btw). They clearly didn't know about this rule, so Sony doesn't even explain it to the devs or publishers.

Puyo Puyo Tetris only just released on the Belgian PSN store a month ago even though it was on Switch since forever and it was released on launch on the UK store and US store and on physical disc in Belgium.

Sony's blog comment response has always been that the dev doesn't want to release the game in the other European countries, which are just blatant lies. Because both times I contacted the devs, they were happy that I explained how it worked and it was usually fixed in a couple of days. Also, why would they want to release Puyo Puyo Tetris in Belgium on Switch and on physical PS4 disc, but not digitally. That doesn't make sense. Why would a dev not want to release a game in half of the European countries (on the PSN store) as long it's permitted by law to release it in those countries?

The Belgian store is full with Google Translated texts (it's almost impossible to read sometimes) and Sony doesn't care about that, but they don't allow English text on those stores. Even though the stores of a lot of European countries (especially Eastern Europe) are not translated, so they just get the English text and get all the games without problem.

I have seen this mentioned in the Playstation Blog comments for years (I know about it from those comments), but Sony just ignores those comments or says stupid stuff like the devs don't want the games to be released in those countries. I am sure an Indie dev wants their games in as much countries as possible to get a shot at better sales.

Nintendo and MS seem to have more or less the same games for the West in comparison (Japanese stores are still different).

The way Sony's PSN works has always been weird and it has plenty of errors in sales and PS+ games that don't show up for a couple of days and things like that. I think they need to do everything manually (at least in Europe, I can't speak for the US store since I have never really used it).

Btw, Sorry for the rant. These things piss me off for years now.

Last edited:

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Also keep in mind that ISPs are quoting you last mile connection rates or speeds within their own network. Once the traffic is handed off to the wider internet backbone you're at the mercy of peering agreements and other issues. Congestion is also a very real thing, both on the ISP side and externally. Having many nodes will help with this, but even with that there will be problems. Paying for 25Mbps often results in getting less for reasons that are sometimes out of your ISP's control.

I have a 100/10 connection in the Orlando area. Sometimes in the evenings and on weekends during peak hours, I will encounter brief instances of buffering on YouTube, but when I run a speed test the results will still be right on the money for 100/10Mbps. This is likely due to congestion on the path to YouTube. Streaming games still has a long way to go. On the ISP side of things, infrastructure is generally terrible and ISPs do whatever they can to get more out of the same old facilities to keep costs down, so that will be a huge factor for a lot of people as well.

I haven't gone through the reports in detail from that wiki page, but I suspect that they also include WISP/mobile broadband. These services are often capped and higher latency, so not much use for something like streaming high bitrate gameplay in real time. I suspect fiber/copper based deployment rates with the required bandwidth/speed are much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.