• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was something, haha. Somehow that stream redeemed itself into the annals of EZA lore. Ben so focused st the end on finding the squat spots had me cracking up.

noah rayne

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Super random question. Anybody have any favorite underrated EZA videos/streams? Hidden gems, or stuff you keep coming back to just cause it's cozy? I'm in need of recommendations :-)

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
The day after the trial!

I haven't watched the stream yet, so I don't know the stakes and what exactly happened, but I personally wouldn't touch the namechange option on PSN (I don't need it myself, but I am glad they finally gave people the option to do so).
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/onlineid/games-list-home/critical-issues/
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/onlineid/games-list-home/issues-identified/

It's clear Sony made the stupid mistake (when they launched PSN over 10 years ago) of not adding an id to the users and coupling everything to the username directly (which is a rookie mistake, even when it launched, they drilled it in at my school around that time to never do that).

I am sure they tried their best over the last couple of years to solve this issue, but as long as not all games are querying the new id-field instead of the old username field, there is no way that stuff doesn't break when you change your PSN username. I am not an expert on this type of thing, but I know a bit about how databases work and I don't see an easy way for them to completely fix this without shutting down PSN for at least a couple of days (and even then as it depends on how games queried that name before).

New games will be fine, but for older games, you will be at the mercy of how the devs implemented their game.
I think it's a bad idea for people who sometimes play older games to change their PSN name (especially people in the industry) as it's very unpredictable what will happen with some games.

The list of games that don't work properly with the name change isn't that big, but there is no way they tested each and every game.
I also don't understand how some big first party/second party studios/games (LBP3, Uncharted 4, MLB The Show and Wipeout come to mind) still have trouble with this and why they aren't patched yet.

I personally wouldn't take the risk. Even if I wanted to change my PSN name.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the stream yet, so I don't know the stakes and what exactly happened, but I personally wouldn't touch the namechange option on PSN (I don't need it myself, but I am glad they finally gave people the option to do so).
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/onlineid/games-list-home/critical-issues/
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/onlineid/games-list-home/issues-identified/

It's clear Sony made the stupid mistake (when they launched PSN over 10 years ago) of not adding an id to the users and coupling everything to the username directly (which is a rookie mistake, even when it launched, they drilled it in at my school around that time to never do that).

I am sure they tried their best over the last couple of years to solve this issue, but as long as not all games are querying the new id-field instead of the old username field, there is no way that stuff doesn't break when you change your PSN username. I am not an expert on this type of thing, but I know a bit about how databases work and I don't see an easy way for them to completely fix this without shutting down PSN for at least a couple of days (and even then as it depends on how games queried that name before).

New games will be fine, but for older games, you will be at the mercy of how the devs implemented their game.
I think it's a bad idea for people who sometimes play older games to change their PSN name (especially people in the industry) as it's very unpredictable what will happen with some games.

The list of games that don't work properly with the name change isn't that big, but there is no way they tested each and every game.
I also don't understand how some big first party/second party studios/games (LBP3, Uncharted 4, MLB The Show and Wipeout come to mind) still have trouble with this and why they aren't patched yet.

There has been a beta thats been running for months? So they probably do have a lot of data. Anything that they haven't caught is probably so small, that the chance of you even playing that game again is minuscule.

If I wanted to change my name, I'd do it. No interest in any of those games listed, and even if I did get caught in some critical issue in a game not listed, it would probably be some small indie game I barely even remember.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

F3hUk8o.gif

lawyer Huber to the appeal court

Oct 25, 2017

Aside from a few select games, there's no actual risk.

Some games might have display issues regarding your username, but that's not a huge deal tbh.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
There has been a beta thats been running for months? So they probably do have a lot of data. Anything that they haven't caught is probably so small, that the chance of you even playing that game again is minuscule.

If I wanted to change my name, I'd do it. No interest in any of those games listed, and even if I did get caught in some critical issue in a game not listed, it would probably be some small indie game I barely even remember.
Aside from a few select games, there's no actual risk.

Some games might have display issues regarding your username, but that's not a huge deal tbh.
That wouldn't be a big problem for sure. But losing ingame currency (like it's stated for the games with critical issues) is game breaking imo.
It's also notable that Onrush is on there as it's a rather new game and it seems not to have display issues of the username (or it wouldn't be in that specific list). My guess would be that it screws something up with your savegame (like the stuff you have unlocked or something like that).

I have read about people breaking their trophies, but I can't confirm if that was real or not, so hopefully it's not.
But I find it weird that they were going to release this much earlier (it's in beta for a long, long time), so I'm almost positive it has either some major drawbacks or they had some serious bugs when they were testing.

But I hope I am wrong. Like I said before, I am glad they finally have released the option to change the PSN username.
I am still happy with my usernames of Xbox and PSN, but I understand that some people want to change it.

I personally would prefer to change my username on GOG to have the same name on there compared to my other gaming accounts and it's not possible either without contacting them directly (and it's not that big of a deal for me, so I just keep it).

Oct 25, 2017
That wouldn't be a big problem for sure. But losing ingame currency (like it's stated for the games with critical issues) is game breaking imo.
It's also notable that Onrush is on there as it's a rather new game and it seems not to have display issues of the username (or it wouldn't be in that specific list). My guess would be that it screws something up with your savegame (like the stuff you have unlocked or something like that).

I have read about people breaking their trophies, but I can't confirm if that was real or not, so hopefully it's not.
But I find it weird that they were going to release this much earlier (it's in beta for a long, long time), so I'm almost positive it has either some major drawbacks or they had some serious bugs when they were testing.

Yea, that sucks. But it's a handful of games with potential critical issues (about 8-10).

If the game you want isn't in that list, there's no reason to hesitate with name change if you want to change your name.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
All hail the name change system. My favourite thing is that (in part due to the technical requirements) you're basically able to acquire a pool of usernames you like for a single account.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Trailer Jones this month was a vast inprovement. It was snappy, energised, focussed on the trailers themselves, the guests structured their arguments. Really enjoyed it. Wish they reviewed more trailers, but I understand the limit.

Oct 25, 2017

But I hope I am wrong. Like I said before, I am glad they finally have released the option to change the PSN username.
I am still happy with my usernames of Xbox and PSN, but I understand that some people want to change it.

I personally would prefer to change my username on GOG to have the same name on there compared to my other gaming accounts and it's not possible either without contacting them directly (and it's not that big of a deal for me, so I just keep it).

Purely basing on what I see on the list, and reading the games affected and what is affected, I'd do it. No problem.

Its not ideal obviously. But it seems like very minor inconveniences more than anything.

I'd probably wait a month or two, and see if anything major crops up. If not, then I'd jump in.

I like my name, so I don't plan on changing it.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Do we know if they are going to do an MK tournament this month as well as Hall of Greats? Or is it likely to be a case of one or the other?

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Weve been spoiled these last few weeks getting the podcast super early huh.

Edit: wtf it went live seconds after I made this post.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with Kyle, raiding is colonialism bullshit, however i'm sure AssCreed will be fighting the "bad Vikings" / freeing the "people"/SPOILER]

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Listening to Huber I got really hyped for Odyssey and was almost tempted to buy it after being disappointed with Origins. Then Huber went on to defend the viking raids and I realised maybe we look at the world through different eyes and I got unhyped. Nothing against Huber, I love him, just thought it was a funny moment how I went from "hell yeah!" to "maybe no..."

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Listening to Huber I got really hyped for Odyssey and was almost tempted to buy it after being disappointed with Origins. Then Huber went on to defend the viking raids and I realised maybe we look at the world through different eyes and I got unhyped. Nothing against Huber, I love him, just thought it was a funny moment how I went from "hell yeah!" to "maybe no..."

I'm glad Kyle called him out even though the conversation they had was pretty awkward.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

i'm confused by this, i haven't seen the podcast yet but what does Huber's history knowledge have to do with Odyssey?

Odyssey is amazing.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is good though.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Looking forward to see the new podcast.

I could see the new Vikingcreed working with raids in a way where you are a "good " Viking undercover in a big raiding gang and you try to acquire an ancient artifact but you don't know in which city it is so you go from city raid to city raid to look for it.

Maybe you work in an advance crew, spying on the city before the raid, gathering info's, for your captain while working on the side on finding the artifact, making connections with ppl from the area, warning them about the upcoming raid…..

Gather enough info's and the city becomes available to raid or maybe even be able to decide not to raid it( kind of like the system works with wars in odyssey).

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Bloodworth - it looks like something may be up with your DMC5 Spoiler Mode Promo - saying "video unavailable". Just a heads up!

Edit: Working now!

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I have played like 90 hours of Odyssey but the way it handles 'morality' is ridiculous and so, while I understand Kyle's point, Assassin's Creed is absolutely not the kind of franchise that will ever "go there" in that sense. The bad vikings will be do the raping and pillaging, the player character will be a good viking.

Seriously the whiplash in Odyssey... you slaughter Athenians and Spartans alike depending on how big a reward you want. The only justification is that Kassandra is a misthios (mercenary). You could do a whole series of main missions about her Spartan family etc and then two minutes later do a battle where you gleefully annihilate a Spartan army. AC is not concerned with making sense of morality in the grander scheme of things.

Cyber6x

Nov 11, 2017
Haven't played Odyssey yet, but just finished Black Flag.

Similar to vikings, pirates are often overlooked for their pillaging which Black Flag overcame by playing as a 'good' pirate and not focusing on the unsavory elements.

There was some references to the plundering by other pirates, but it was all very PG (like in the meta Pirate game trailer).

So I agree with the sentiment that they'll sugar coat and try to hit a mix of typical 'good guy' protagonist with enough historical accuracy of vikings, to not make you feel bad about your actions.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ubisoft wont make you start raping and pillaging people or anything like that. I could see the protagonist of the game maybe seeing that shit, and then fighting against them, making his own viking clan that are the "good guys".

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Really enjoyed both Trailer Jones and the Podcast this week. Brad especially was in good form on both. Next week's podcast corrections will be amazing.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not exactly worried, but I do think there needs to be a carrot to help drive the Patreon. Releasing Mysterious Monsters was extremely generous of them...I cannot help but wonder if they had shifted that to the 52K goal after releasing the pilot episode, people would really push to keep that funded. You can only come up with so many unique ideas that differentiate themselves from adding streams - and a Huber game show was really the ace in the hole.

BUT...things will turn around as they gear up for E3. Just need to grab a few sponsors to carry them 2 more months.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with E3 right around the corner, that should bump them up nicely.

Sadly Sony E3 always gave them the best reaction videos in terms of views. Hopefully MS can pick up the slack with some sick reveals.

Also, I genuinely wonder where they are gonna set up for E3. I'd love for them to ditch the suits, and go all 9 of them on the couch.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with E3 right around the corner, that should bump them up nicely.

Sadly Sony E3 always gave them the best reaction videos in terms of views. Hopefully MS can pick up the slack with some sick reveals.

Also, I genuinely wonder where they are gonna set up for E3. I'd love for them to ditch the suits, and go all 9 of them on the couch.

They're definitely going to want to show off the shiny studio to the masses...but what would be really cool is if they could fill gaps in coverage of conferences by switching to the couch set and have people playing games. Keep it a chill time all day long. I think Jones mentioned wanting to do something to this effect, just not sure if they are setup for it quite yet.

Also time to ready those promos!

Status
Not open for further replies.