• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I think I will take the mystery monster format and use it for a tabletop game night. I think they'll love it.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I thought the editing was a lot better on this episode. I still wish we could see the contestants all the time on the fastest axe first section, but we saw them more, which I'm really happy about.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yo so...

Kyle did double damage on industry monster, question was 4, monster had 9 health... how did he get it in one go?

EDIT: Never mind.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I wish they acknowledged how guilty they are of over sensitivity over spoilers during the latest Frame Trap.

Also it's good to be listening to FT again. It's the only show I can't listen to during commute due to timestamps.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
B7-A218-A7-C192-4-FFC-8874-1-C9-C9-FAC4-D4-B.jpg

That's the face of an irritated man 😂
The man got every question right and still lost lol, though Noah was still a very well deserved winner.

I do believe Hyper strike may need to be nerfed though honestly, maybe make it so you can't carry more than 1 at once or it can't be used on the same turn as double damage because if you wanted to you could one shot most bosses with that combo and analyze.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
The man got every question right and still lost lol, though Noah was still a very well deserved winner.

I do believe Hyper strike may need to be nerfed though honestly, maybe make it so you can't carry more than 1 at once or it can't be used on the same turn as double damage because if you wanted to you could one shot most bosses with that combo and analyze.

I'd personally go with limiting Hyperstrikes to 3 per game, and once that limit is hit, put a little triangle over that compartment of the Lucky Loot board to close it up.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I do think they should limit Hyperstrikes to one per round and, if possible, make the window for it on the board tighter. They become a lot less valuable and a lot more overpowered when you can get two in one Lucky Loot sequence.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, add me to the list that was very happy that this all dropped before the podcast.

And let me reiterate now that we are really "in it" for next gen talk (this PS5 info, Xbox E3 and Stadia all being out there), I think an excellent idea would be a monthly-ish show that focuses on all the next gen rumors and stupidity that are only going to increase and get more crazy in the months ahead. Wouldn't need to be super "techy," mostly I'd imagine it as a show to hype up the potential of new games, what excites them the most and what they hope to see in these consoles.

Could be Patreon exclusive or not, I just know I'd really love to hear any of them nerd out about next gen at length. I personally find the lead up and strategies fascinating and I'm eagerly looking forward to all the drips ahead and the "pre-next-gen hype cycle" is one of my favorite times in gaming.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
For those interested in Dreams Early Access, it looks like it went live early. I just bought and started downloading it via the PS Store on my PS4. It's not live yet on the web store.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, add me to the list that was very happy that this all dropped before the podcast.

And let me reiterate now that we are really "in it" for next gen talk (this PS5 info, Xbox E3 and Stadia all being out there), I think an excellent idea would be a monthly-ish show that focuses on all the next gen rumors and stupidity that are only going to increase and get more crazy in the months ahead. Wouldn't need to be super "techy," mostly I'd imagine it as a show to hype up the potential of new games, what excites them the most and what they hope to see in these consoles.

Could be Patreon exclusive or not, I just know I'd really love to hear any of them nerd out about next gen at length. I personally find the lead up and strategies fascinating and I'm eagerly looking forward to all the drips ahead and the "pre-next-gen hype cycle" is one of my favorite times in gaming.

Could be a spin out off Kyle's podcast segment "Future News"

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

I've been waiting for the right time to pitch this to Jones on cup but I might as well mention it now. Ne need to see the triumpant return of "I love last gen" they have no excuses not to do it now that they have the studio. It would be a ton of fun to produce and probably bring in a lot of new eyes to eza.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
man I'd love a Dreams Dons design lab group challenge but it'd have to be long after launch after they're all familiar with the controls.

Nothing more irksome than watching people fight control schemes in any kind of remotely competitive scenario lol

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Just bought my early access copy of Dreams. Mainly bought it to play what other people create though I am sure to create stuff as well. Hopefully the game takes off within EZA because I am looking forward to playing though their creations.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
man I'd love a Dreams Dons design lab group challenge but it'd have to be long after launch after they're all familiar with the controls.

Nothing more irksome than watching people fight control schemes in any kind of remotely competitive scenario lol
My main concern there is that it probably takes a lot longer to create something nice than in a game like Mario Maker, plus the learning curve is super big.

I'm thinking best we can hope for is some of the allies create a level in between streams and they all bring their level to the stream. Or a design challenge on a much smaller scale, like a sculpt.

Who knows. Maybe down the line when a lot of them are proficient with it we can see something like that, with an actual design challenge.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Dreams as well! I cannot wait to finish work and give it a shot. I think the Allies could get dozens of group streams out of this game if they so choose. It is going to be incredible.

My main concern there is that it probably takes a lot longer to create something nice than in a game like Mario Maker, plus the learning curve is super big.

Jones said on stream that tonight they will only be Dream surfing - playing already existing creations. No Design Lab yet, but count on it for the future.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Only bad thing about the particular information revealed for PS5 in terms of podcast discussion is that the Allies really aren't very techy at all. I often smack my head at some of their lack of technical knowledge.

Still excited, though.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Only bad thing about the particular information revealed for PS5 in terms of podcast discussion is that the Allies really aren't very techy at all. I often smack my head at some of their lack of technical knowledge.

Still excited, though.

They'll probably talk a bit anyway, it's cool to listen their excitement and thoughts about the way sony is handling things and stuff.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
would be cool if they could introduce non allies guest on monsters a little bit more. no idea who noah is.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's the idea, generally, to have a mix of us and others as contestants. Noah is a member of the community who has collaborated with Ian on multiple occasions.
totally fine with non allies competing.
i just would have loved this small tidbit in the episode itself, a little context who the person is would be nice :).

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That's the idea, generally, to have a mix of us and others as contestants. Noah is a member of the community who has collaborated with Ian on multiple occasions.
I think they mean there should be a more proper introduction to who the non-Ally guest is. On both episodes we've seen so far, there's no real information about the person.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
i just would have loved this small tidbit in the episode itself, a little context who the person is would be nice :).
Well, like any game show, people are asked to introduce themselves. Maybe we can do a little more in that regard, but not everybody is defined by whether they're a youtuber or something. Sometimes, they're just people we know.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Well, like any game show, people are asked to introduce themselves. Maybe we can do a little more in that regard, but not everybody is defined by whether they're a youtuber or something. Sometimes, they're just people we know.

Sure, but contestants on jeopardy are not youtubers either but you still get to know a little about who they are. Something as simple as : "Noah is a member of our community. You might remember them sharing the stage with ian during mysterious monsters live. What was that experience like Noah?"

That would help people who dont know who the guest is get to know them and by asking a specific question your forcing the person to say something about themselves. Most people dont know what to say when there asked "tell me a little about yourself."

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

our guest today is "x and x is a member of our community" or "x is friend of x" or "x is collaborator of EZA" or whatever is good enough.

Sure, but contestants on jeopardy are not youtubers either but you still get to know a little about who they are. Something as simple as : "Noah is a member of our community. You might remember them sharing the stage with ian during mysterious monsters live. What was that experience like Noah?"

That would help people who dont know who the guest is get to know them and by asking a specific question your forcing the person to say something about themselves. Most people dont know what to say when there asked "tell me a little about yourself."
yes this is exactly it.
if they want you can show their twitter handle too, the last two guests were artists so i was interested in checking out their work but i had to get that info from yt comments or on here.

Last edited:

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the latest Mysterious Monsters. However, Hyper Strikes and Double Damage tokens both offer too much benefit with little to no risk within the current rules.

My suggestions would be:
  1. Have only one Hyper Strike and make it only available in the shop for a high price (100g?). A player could opt to pay up and get it first for safety or play boldly and keep their gold and hope they don't need it.
  2. Require Double-damage tokens to be used when selecting a monster rather than after a question is given. That way, if you think you're good in a particular category, you can try using the double damage token. It'll either pay off big or your damage rebounds increasing the risk/reward. Within the current rules, it's almost impossible to take double-damage because you can safely avoid using the token until after you have heard the question.
  3. Don't allow the Hyper Strike and Double-Damage tokens to be combined. Make it either one or the other.
  4. Limit lucky loot drops to one per player to speed up gameplay and reduce items. However, this one isn't as important if you remove the Hyper Strike from the Loot Drop pool.
  5. Lastly, for fairness, require players to hold the axes in round three with both hands correctly.
They've probably already recorded several more episodes but these are some ideas to ponder for the future.

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Noah's sometimes posts in this thread as well. They did do so after Mysterious Monsters went live actually.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/easy-allies-ot2-love-reset.57884/page-254#post-19879007

Noah was on stage singing songs with Ian this year and last year on EZA's anniversary event/stream.

I do agree that a bit more of info about the contestants would probably be a good idea.
I also think the winner should be set a bit more in the spotlight instead of just cutting to the end credits.

That said, those are just nitpicks. I really love watching Mysterious Monsters.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In Mysterious Monsters, what's the point of hiding how many hit points each body part has? It's like playing Jeopardy without knowing how much money you're playing for.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
In Mysterious Monsters, what's the point of hiding how many hit points each body part has? It's like playing Jeopardy without knowing how much money you're playing for.
I think the idea is that you don't know if you can kill the monster or not. Otherwise you could just go for the kill each time, especially with some of the items.
Also, it hides if it's a difficult question or not.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea is that you don't know if you can kill the monster or not.
Also, it hides if it's a difficult question or not.
But my point is, should it hide the difficulty of the questions? What for? I don't really get the idea behind this mechanic. And honestly it's fairly inelegant that other players have to literally turn around when one of them has the power to see the hit points anyway. I think if they streamlined this bit the show would be snappier and maybe more strategic?

Status
Not open for further replies.