• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just read up on this uniqlo. They are quite big.

I really hope this is an ACTUAL sponsorship from the company, not some dude who works in the store and is sponsoring them on behalf of uniqlo.

That would be really stupid of the allies and probably prone to legal problems I'm guessing. I'm sure they know that though.

Oct 27, 2017
Last podcast was great but I noticed damiani didn't say anything for almost 40 minutes. I almost thought he left the podcast
Yea, noticed it too. He looked exhausted.
I will say I miss the random game streams from the studio with a couple of allies like they were doing for the first month or two. I remember thinking, "okay, NOW I get why the studio was such a good investment." And while I still think that, the random game streams have basically completely stopped.
Same, it's one of my favorite things. The Fortnite event video was a pleasant surprise.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone even mentioned the group stream last night? I think that's pretty telling for how uinteresting some of the games they choose to play is, i don't wanna come off as a downer but it's like the only time they have everyone (almost) and they pick these weird generic game-choices with no creativity at all.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Has anyone even mentioned the group stream last night? I think that's pretty telling for how uinteresting some of the games they choose to play is, i don't wanna come off as a downer but it's like the only time they have everyone (almost) and they pick these weird generic game-choices with no creativity at all.

Yeah, that last night stream was fun and all but the game did not help. At least for me, it was not engaging. Coming off the high that was HoG, it probably looked worse.
Maybe I was just too tired, though... Had a long day yesterday.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed last night's stream, would be nice if they had a way to swap gameplay pov though.

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten to the point where I only expect group streams to be entertaining maybe 25% of the time, so once a month. They've become mostly background noise for me. I figure if they're having fun, who am I to complain? And also, why would they even listen to me complain if they're having fun? So I try and enjoy the good ones when they come and not stress about it anymore otherwise. Allies gonna ally, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed last night's stream, would be nice if they had a way to swap gameplay pov though.

I brought up Twitch Squad Streams in CoJ a few weeks back and they're interested in using that so you can have everyone's PoV and just the audio from the main stream, but it's currently limited to select accounts and not sure of the bandwidth can handle it. Think they'll test it out when it's available wider though.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't know, I found the group stream entertaining. My only problem is I can only pay a little attention at a time since Tuesday is also a TV night (even moreso with sports at the moment), so I'm not in here talking about or mentioning my fav bits.

Oct 27, 2017
Its crazy to think we are heading to this gen's last E3. Next year the hype will be insane. What a great generation this was, some of my favorite games ever were released in the last 6 years.

May 30, 2018
Yeah, that last night stream was fun and all but the game did not help. At least for me, it was not engaging. Coming off the high that was HoG, it probably looked worse.

Yeah, it was not engaging. At least there were enough Allies present to have interesting side conversations while the others played. Next week's tournament should liven things up hopefully, but I'm sure things will fall back into generic games and "skippable" streams if it's not addressed at some point.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Tired: EZA playing brand new co-op zombie shooter.

Wired: EZA playing 15 year old Shrek game.

Looking forward to that Shrek playthrough myself!

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, just read up on this uniqlo. They are quite big.

I really hope this is an ACTUAL sponsorship from the company, not some dude who works in the store and is sponsoring them on behalf of uniqlo.

That would be really stupid of the allies and probably prone to legal problems I'm guessing. I'm sure they know that though.

I think it's two fold. One they are a great clothing company that a lot of people like and two it's by far the biggest sponsor eza has ever had (as far as I can remember.)

I said it earlier in the thread but I suspect uniqlo will be advertising there monster hunter, street fighter, and splatoon lines of t-shirts they are launching this month.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Correct. Will be interesting to see if Ben starts a new one without Ian. I'd be down for some other table top games while they wait.

I'm guessing they'll be taking another break since it's perfect timing for E3 BABY, which Ian will be back for anyway. So I'm not expecting anything until after then, but would be good if Ben talks about plans at the end of the next episode.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I enjoy anything that involves the group gathering around to play games and have fun together so the group stream is one of my favorite things they do.

On the other hand, it annoys me greatly that they basically copy/pasted a format that seems unnecessarily truncated and chaotic and applied it to the studio with no changes. This all made sense when they were in Jones' garage, but much less so when they have free reign over a gorgeous studio. 9ish people gathering around to play video games for about 2ish hours is often wayyy too chaotic. There's usually multiple conversations going on, attention to what is going on is all over the place and there is no real "importance" to the games as they are all basically "one-offs." The inherent format of the stream often greatly restricts what games make "good" stream games and that's just the way it has to be right now.

Like, it irks me greatly that we often only get 2 hours of games being played a week in a studio that has a room specifically designed for such a thing. To me, 10 solo streams from home is worth 1 multi-person stream. Also doesn't help that the group stream starts at 9pm my time and ends after 11pm and I'm often debating rather to watch the NBA playoffs, prime time tv, the group stream or to go to sleep. I do usually enjoy Kyle's streams, but those also start at midnight for me (obviously this is much worse for people living in Europe and so on). Also, not an anime guy, but it seems wholly ridiculous having a live show start at 9:30ish pm their time on a Tuesday night.

To be clear, i'm still extremely happy with everything. It's just that I think the Allies group chemistry is unrivaled in the industry and it's frustrating they often don't play to their strengths. Right now, so much of it seems like 9 individuals mostly doing their own thing.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been keeping up. I know Ian's been away for awhile and was back this past week. Is he slowly stepping down or going to be busy for the foreseeable future with other projects. Sad to have less stuff with him in it to be honest.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been keeping up. I know Ian's been away for awhile and was back this past week. Is he slowly stepping down or going to be busy for the foreseeable future with other projects. Sad to have less stuff with him in it to be honest.

He's had to go home for a while, he's not talking about it just yet. But he'll be back for E3.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
He's had to go home for a while, he's not talking about it just yet. But he'll be back for E3.
Of course, none of our business anyway. Just wanted to make sure or not if he was leaving or something. Great to know he will be back. Now off to listen to some tabletop escapades.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
On one hand, I enjoy anything that involves the group gathering around to play games and have fun together so the group stream is one of my favorite things they do.

On the other hand, it annoys me greatly that they basically copy/pasted a format that seems unnecessarily truncated and chaotic and applied it to the studio with no changes. This all made sense when they were in Jones' garage, but much less so when they have free reign over a gorgeous studio. 9ish people gathering around to play video games for about 2ish hours is often wayyy too chaotic. There's usually multiple conversations going on, attention to what is going on is all over the place and there is no real "importance" to the games as they are all basically "one-offs." The inherent format of the stream often greatly restricts what games make "good" stream games and that's just the way it has to be right now.

Like, it irks me greatly that we often only get 2 hours of games being played a week in a studio that has a room specifically designed for such a thing. To me, 10 solo streams from home is worth 1 multi-person stream. Also doesn't help that the group stream starts at 9pm my time and ends after 11pm and I'm often debating rather to watch the NBA playoffs, prime time tv, the group stream or to go to sleep. I do usually enjoy Kyle's streams, but those also start at midnight for me (obviously this is much worse for people living in Europe and so on). Also, not an anime guy, but it seems wholly ridiculous having a live show start at 9:30ish pm their time on a Tuesday night.

To be clear, i'm still extremely happy with everything. It's just that I think the Allies group chemistry is unrivaled in the industry and it's frustrating they often don't play to their strengths. Right now, so much of it seems like 9 individuals mostly doing their own thing.

I think a big part of it is them moving away from tournament streams. I know they dont like coming up with games just to do a tournament for the hell of it but tournaments are the one time where the majority of the allies are actually paying attention to the game being played.

I also wouldnt be opposed to two smaller streams a week instead of one big group stream but I would eventually miss seeing everybody all gathered together.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any info on how they're going to do the E3 Betting Special this year?

Jones has said on CoJ he expects it to go back to Huber V Kyle, but that's up to the two of them as they're the producers of the show. I'm guessing we won't know until it's uploaded.

I'm kind of hoping not as I've loved the characters even more. But with Ultima's defeat, he would be gone.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If Ian is back in time to film it, I'd like Rainy Day vs Huber vs Bosman. And get Barlog back to unlock the vault.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is Gameboy advance the worst Nintendo console? not counting virtual boy? I grew up with it and I can't imagine any of its games ending up in the hall of greats when every other Nintendo system has at least one obvious one on lock if not already.

nes: already in
snes: already in multiple times
gameboy: already in multiple times
gbc: Pokémon gold/silver
n64: already in multiple times
gamecube: already in multiple times
wii: galaxy
ds: lots of good alternative options like virtual novels and puzzle games
Wii U: Tropical freeze
3DS: Link Between Worlds, 3D Land

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
is Gameboy advance the worst Nintendo console? not counting virtual boy? I grew up with it and I can't imagine any of its games ending up in the hall of greats when every other Nintendo system has at least one obvious one on lock if not already.

Advance Wars can make it in. It's a serious contender for an instant classic depending on what else it's up against.
Personally for me, the first warioware, the golden sun games, boktai and a few others are video game classics. But those are just off the top of my head.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Advance Wars can make it in. It's a serious contender for an instant classic depending on what else it's up against.
Personally for me, the first warioware, the golden sun games, boktai and a few others are video game classics. But those are just off the top of my head.
hmm I never played boktai. I agree with Wario Ware as well. I suppose an argument could be made for the Fire Emblems especially with Damiani.

If I had to pick 3 they would be
Aria of Sorrow
Rhythm Heaven
Advance Wars

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
hmm I never played boktai. I agree with Wario Ware as well. I suppose an argument could be made for the Fire Emblems especially with Damiani.

If I had to pick 3 they would be
Aria of Sorrow
Rhythm Heaven
Advance Wars
How the hell did I forget to mention Aria? Punching myself for that. Rhythm Heaven is a great pick too although I admittedly never played it since I'm not really into rhythm games.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell did I forget to mention Aria? Punching myself for that. Rhythm Heaven is a great pick too although I admittedly never played it since I'm not really into rhythm games.
It's good. But like I wouldn't argue that Aria is the best castlevania and probably wouldn't argue that GBA is the best rhythm heaven.

Boktai is like $50 used now lmao gotta get that sun chip

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

The problem with rhythm heaven and warioware is that they have both received much better releases on the 3ds. I do agree that golden sun should be in there but I think ben (and maybe kyle?) Doesnt like it very much which would really hurt its chances.

I cant speak to castlevania games. GBAs biggest peoblem is that it didnt have it's own Mario or zelda games (minus minish cap).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's good. But like I wouldn't argue that Aria is the best castlevania and probably wouldn't argue that GBA is the best rhythm heaven.

Boktai is like $50 used now lmao gotta get that sun chip

Aria is my personal favorite of the iga castlevainias for a variety of reasons, but I do concede most folks would say Symphony is the best.
Boktai is a really special and unique game and Boktai 2 is damn awesome too. I can't say I experienced anything else like them ever again in all these years and I played them legit, suns out, you step outside lol. They're both extremely well done video games with some wonderful designs aspects. I hope you manage to play them someday. I think a lot of people missed out on em.

The problem with rhythm heaven and warioware is that they have both received much better releases on the 3ds. I do agree that golden sun should be in there but I think ben (and maybe kyle?) Doesnt like it very much which would really hurt its chances.

I cant speak to castlevania games. GBAs biggest peoblem is that it didnt have it's own Mario or zelda games (minus minish cap).

Thinking more about Golden Sun, it might be tough to include them as I really do see them coming as a pair. Which is unfair for the rules of the Hall of Greats. If you look at them standing alone they're incomplete. Regardless, I love those games.

Also, I felt the first Warioware is a really tightly designed package while the other wariowares all lacked various things in some regards. I still like all the others in the series too but there's something about that first game that had me coming back to it frequently and shooting for high scores. Unlocking every mini game, getting it 100% complete. I have really fond memories of my friends and I playing a ton of the multiplayer in wario ware for gamecube too and that was a freaking blast haha. The only one I never played was the newest, Gold. I should check it out sometime.

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

I never owned a Gameboy Advance myself, but my sister has a couple (a normal one and an SP) and I believe it's here favorite Nintendo handheld (I suspect the SP especially). But even though I don't know a lot of games on the system, I don't think you can call something the worst console just based on the games alone.

I never owned a Wii U either and I enjoyed playing Wii U at a friends place, but my vote would go to the Wii U for worst Nintendo console (even though it does have some good games). Not saying that it's bad necessarily, but they know they dropped the ball with how quickly they dropped the Wii U.

A lot of people still love the Gameboy Advance SP because it can play OG Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games and because it's so portable. The OG Gameboy Advance is probably less loved, but I wouldn't call it the worst. It also sold well at around 80 million units (above the 3DS apparently).

Hell I have been looking for a new or newish Gameboy Advance SP multiple times over the years (but never pulled the trigger because I am a bit skeptical on buying second hand consoles online), just because of the OG Gameboy slot and because I would be able to buy some Gameboy Advance games as well (even though I don't have any specifically in mind).

My OG Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket are still ok as far as I know (even though the screen came off of my OG Gameboy as the glue dried up), but I think they would look better and the built in light seems very handy.

Last edited:

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017

They'd be wise to switch to a "Unprofessional Friday" format that GB does, where they have several games they are free to cycle between in shorter bursts.

"40 minutes World War Z, 40 minutes Shrek: Royal Rumble, 40 minutes something-else" is more appealing to a larger group that "2 hours World War Z"

Wrynnax

Oct 29, 2017
I legit yelped "Ian" at the shadow drop in the hall of greats! I've missed him, which I know is weird for someone you see on your screen, but hey, I really like him and his opinions and humour.
Hope everything works out for him and looking forward to having him back full-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.